The crash code - µ

Seraphi

Have you tried reading the topic??!

Yeah I did, how about you?

It was clearly stated this but is DEFINETLY NOT server-side.

How is it not server side? Sure it's user-input, but the actual bug itself is server side. Jagex messed something up in the handling of the µ.

If lots of idiots weren't talking that "runescape client & server are written in runescript blah blah i suck [rooster] for gays", then I would say don't obfuscate and run the applet with java debugger, because java w source is sooo much easier to debug than c++ w source. But now the code is NOT what is actually run in the applet, so I imagine they need a thorough investigation first.

I think you lost me there.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend showed me a picture he found of somebody killing a bandos team with this:

[hide=]090225235306.png[/hide]

How low :thumbdown:

You see Meneer nijn has died with that bug, he quit (he made a topic on LTF (lunagang tip forum))

Have you tried reading the topic??!

Yeah I did, how about you?

It was clearly stated this but is DEFINETLY NOT server-side.

How is it not server side? Sure it's user-input, but the actual bug itself is server side. Jagex messed something up in the handling of the µ.

If lots of idiots weren't talking that "runescape client & server are written in runescript blah blah i suck [rooster] for gays", then I would say don't obfuscate and run the applet with java debugger, because java w source is sooo much easier to debug than c++ w source. But now the code is NOT what is actually run in the applet, so I imagine they need a thorough investigation first.

I think you lost me there.

Because if it were server side, every player on the server would be disconnected, not just the ones in the vicinity. For some reason the client incorrectly handles µ. I'm a software engineer and I don't know why, it doesn't make sense that the display of a character should cause the client to crash.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Ok lets just move away from the fact that people were abusing a bug here for just a second.

If you go onto PvP worlds, or Bounty Hunter or Dangerous FFA you must be prepared to die and lose your stuff either from failing to eat/run away/teleport or by losing connection or lagging etc. While the people that caused the crashing should receive perminant banning, you can't expect everyone else to roll back thier stats. That is an unreasonable request.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Also, to those who argue that the character's disabling is bad because Greek people use it all the time... well, you're wrong. The glitch character is not used by 99% of Greek people, ever. Nor is it likely even present on any keyboard manufactured anywhere. Reason being, RuneScape doesn't support Greek. Only characters in the decimal range 32 to 255 are supported.

The glitch character (decimal #181, hexadecimal #B5) is the Micro Sign - µ

The Greek lower-case letter Mu (decimal #956, hexadecimal #3BC) - ? is not even supported by RuneScape.

As you can see, they are nearly identical or identical depending on your font. Just wanted to point this out.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Also, to those who argue that the character's disabling is bad because Greek people use it all the time... well, you're wrong. The glitch character is not used by 99% of Greek people, ever. Nor is it likely even present on any keyboard manufactured anywhere. Reason being, RuneScape doesn't support Greek. Only characters in the decimal range 32 to 255 are supported.

The Greek lower-case letter Mu (decimal #956, hexadecimal #3BC) - ? is not even supported by RuneScape.

As you can see, they are nearly identical or identical depending on your font. Just wanted to point this out.

Interesting. Thanks for clearing it up!

I'd also hope there aren't any more characters out there that will cause this.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Uhm, apart from the fact that strings typed in windows by pressing alt+ uses an extended ascii character set, and actually some (older) keyboards (ie my own dutch keyboard which has an µ sign like above) also still use this set. Only very new/asian keyboards actually use UNICODE!

http://www.asciitable.com/

In ascii, 230 = (181 in another version from the extended set, which is used by adding a 0) = µ

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

System Update...

We're rebooting the game to fully fix the issues from yesterday as last nights fix was only a temporary solution until a more permanent one could be arranged.

Mod Nexus.

The first fix was just blank character replacements. Hopefully this fix will allow the character w/o crashing :).

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

For those saying "ban those who used it in a malicious manner, temp ban others who used it" etc, how are they gonna know who used it with the intent to be silly versus those who were intending to make others lose stuff? Obviously they'll have several ways to narrow it down, but in the end there's still going to be some gray area which will undoubtedly leave people a little upset.

So please, for everyone's sake stop suggesting an over simplified solution while acting like it's the right one. Hell, I wouldn't mind/be surprised if they just checked to see who used the code without crashing themselves (because then they know that player knowingly abused the bug) and just banned them.

My suggestions (as were those of others) are mere guidelines. Obviously there are gray areas and details to work out, and I'll gladly leave that to Jagex.

[hide=bandos killings]

A friend showed me a picture he found of somebody killing a bandos team with this:

[hide=]090225235306.png

How low :thumbdown:

You see Meneer nijn has died with that bug, he quit (he made a topic on LTF (lunagang tip forum))

[/hide]

lmao!! i was there, this actually was a mass :lol: there was a good 20 people there, they got me after the boss died logged back in, and happened 10 secs later, logged in pressed f4 and teletabbed out <3:

i thought it was my computer playing up, turns out i wasnt the only one then :?

33smokey.png

Ok lets just move away from the fact that people were abusing a bug here for just a second.

If you go onto PvP worlds, or Bounty Hunter or Dangerous FFA you must be prepared to die and lose your stuff either from failing to eat/run away/teleport or by losing connection or lagging etc. While the people that caused the crashing should receive perminant banning, you can't expect everyone else to roll back thier stats. That is an unreasonable request.

There's one flaw in that: There was no REASONABLE risk of dying. See, in RS, there are set patterns you can follow to keep your character from dying in most situations. That includes Boss areas and PvP areas. It's called training, skills, and knowledge of the system combined with appropriate equipment. In addition, armed with high speed modem instead of a quirky dial-up increases the safety even more. Add on to that team mates that'll bless tombstones reduces chance of losing anything of value to almost zero.

This bug was not isolated to a single server (like Falador Massacre), or single area (Juna cave's insta death). This thing went anywhere on all servers. Many, who otherwise would not reasonably die, did die and lost a lot of equipment that represents invested REAL WORLD TIME. Now, I don't know about you, but an hour of my time is 20 dollars (yeah, I'm over paid). I'm picky with how I waste it. If anything warrants a rollback, this thing looks like a top contender.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

If anything warrants a rollback, this thing looks like a top contender.
Think how many tens of thousands of people GAINED wealth yesterday and GAINED exp and GAINED quest points or GAINED zeal or pc points. Rolling back now would do more harm than good. I don't belive that the few people that lost items comes anywhere close to that the vast majority of people attained yesterday. Jagex doesn't owe you anything. The bug only really affected a handful of people, yes there are hundreds of people complaining about it on forums but last night when I was on RS (and people kicked me off due to the bug twice) there were litereally hundreds of thousands of people playing. By rolling back you change a glitch that only really harmed seriously a fandful of people into something that effects hundreds of thousands of players. That is unacceptable.

There comes a time in everyman's life when he must die.
Perhaps last night it was theirs...?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

At this point we all know a Rollback will not happen. The bug has already stretched too far away. I was lucky enough to not have logged in until hours after the update. Still I would not have minded a rollback at the time but now the only way to please people is to cut the hours this happened during from the time line then copy over all the missing items into the current status... something no system has the capability to do.

In any case... did anyone notice this?

2+2+5+9 = 18

6+6+6 = 18

Stupid.png

2+2+5+9 = 18

6+6+6 = 18

18 letters are also in Ure numerology fails and also Load of Bovine manure

Eighteen is also the title of an Alice Cooper's song on their album Love It to Death.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Say hi to Belgian keyboards.

(3rd time I posted this)

belgianazerty.jpg

I can't recall how many times I've accidentally pressed µ when pressing enter. Seriously.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

(3rd time I posted this)

belgianazerty.jpg

I can't recall how many times I've accidentally pressed µ when pressing enter. Seriously.

Quoted for truth, the times I searched in Google and accidently added a µ are uncountable. :-#

koen9qy.png

(3rd time I posted this)

belgianazerty.jpg

Okay, I hate this phrase, but: I know, right! I hit the µ all the time when I'm chatting (fast typing + lots of enters). Glad to not have been online during this latest RS drama.

There's one flaw in that: There was no REASONABLE risk of dying. See, in RS, there are set patterns you can follow to keep your character from dying in most situations. That includes Boss areas and PvP areas. It's called training, skills, and knowledge of the system combined with appropriate equipment. In addition, armed with high speed modem instead of a quirky dial-up increases the safety even more. Add on to that team mates that'll bless tombstones reduces chance of losing anything of value to almost zero.

That's nice and all, but "just because people can normally survive" means nothing.

When you log onto a PvP world, it warns you that you could lose your items. This is not limited to players killing you, or monsters killing you, but also acts of God (Such as power-outage, disconnections, server shutdown, lag, ect..).

The warning also includes disconnections and any other form of "lag". That was one of the reasons PvP worlds were not put offline when the other dangerous mini games were disabled. If you go into a PvP world you risk losing your items not just to the normal stuff, but the abnormal stuff such as this event.

As for those who lost alot due to people doing it GWD and other dangerous locations, keep in mind the game at any time can crash and you can lose your stuff. This is unforunate, but its one of the risks the game has. If Jagex didnt want you to lose everything, they would make it so everything is kept on death, which is abvously not the case.

I hate to sound mean, but people who lost their stuff need to either dust their self off and quit whining, or go play a different game. Jagex wont roll back unless EVERY single person lost like half their bank value. Ya, what happened was unfortunate, but life isn't always fair. If you went to GWD, you risked at least a 1% chance of dying, disconnected or not. Just consider yourself unlucky and get over it.

dawnsigblue-3.png

1) No rollback. What happens if you lose connection during a fight? Youll lose your stuff. Same principle here. I know it wasnt fair, but you ALWAYS run some risk of dying when PvP'ing. The players warrant a ban though, no questions asked.

2) When will people realise that the fally massacre happened on the 7th? Thats going by Europe, Africa, Australia (Jagex HQ is in the UK as you all know). Oh yeah, just because in America it was the 6th :roll:

Special situations call for special actions taken. Therefore a rollback isn't such a weird idea. Not that I'd want a rollback though. It damages all the players who weren't affected, so it does more harm than good.

And yes, ban them.

This is so strange i was playing for about 4 hours yesterday after work did my slayer task of 77 iron dragons did a clue scroll (super lame one Rune B axe and chaos runes) I had private and public chat on the whole time. The only thing that even happened that was odd was i was in teh clan chat tree find and they booted me out. Also on the roll back thing Jagex has never rolled back everyones stats. And they have never given items back that people have lost. They have early in the game rolled back cheaters stats as a way of punishment but never rolled everyone back becuase of bugs/glitchs or party hats being dupped.

This is so strange i was playing for about 4 hours yesterday after work did my slayer task of 77 iron dragons did a clue scroll (super lame one Rune B axe and chaos runes) I had private and public chat on the whole time. The only thing that even happened that was odd was i was in teh clan chat tree find and they booted me out. Also on the roll back thing Jagex has never rolled back everyones stats. And they have never given items back that people have lost. They have early in the game rolled back cheaters stats as a way of punishment but never rolled everyone back becuase of bugs/glitchs or party hats being dupped.

You're wrong.