Oh how I miss you BTS...

rhupajiva

Its the first weekday of the month....

This usually means waking up to read a brand new edition of Behind the Scenes.

When I woke up this morning and didn't see it on the front page, I came to the realization that I am not a fan of Jagex's new policy of only doing Development Diaries.

I'm sure this policy will have its perks...But the BTS has been around since the month I started playing (April/May 2005). It gave structure to my Runescape playing. I eagerly anticipated several of the updates it described. They were also often cleverly written and quite enjoyable to read...

Remember "sitting on chairs"?

I understand that Jagex wants to avoid being beholden to the BTS and avoid the inundation of threads from professional comlainers ("Wheres my UPDATE JAGEX??? I HATE THIS GAME I QUIT) when an update didn't come out in an expected week.

But I think not having the BTS will eliminate some of the great anticipatory theorizing that immediately followed their publication. A wait and see time frame isn't really that fun.

Maybe even be super vague like the chaos elemental anagrams...

What are your thoughts on this?

rhupajiva.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was looking forward to having something to read this morning but alas there was nothing :(

I don't mind if its really basic or really cryptic but I like seeing new posts by Jagex, it shows they are working.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Smart move to shut the constant complainers up. But as are you, I'm disappointed. They always made me a little happy knowing if there'll be an update here or there to polish up some things.

I would rather have a chance at real updates or teh more interesting DDs than a BTS. WE survived a long time without them, and all they did was make me want something I couldn't have. I didn't even notice the lack of BTS. But now that there gone, I feel...better. I like a goos supprise. Nothing like a big update or entire skill from no where. Of course the DDs might provide this same anticipation, but hopefully with vague deadlines \'

When I woke up I was expecting to see the BTS as well.. I completely forgot they said they'd stop posting them...

I have nothing to look forward to now... The BTS always gave me things to look forward to and I could make a little checklist as each update was released and then look forward to the next one on the list. Now what am I supposed to look forward to? Jagex ruined my life. :x

Hell they could tell us we were getting Dragon Guns in the BTS and never deliver and i'd still be happy. The BTS was one of those little things that made Rs for me just because it gave you something to look foward to.

I would rather have a chance at real updates or teh more interesting DDs than a BTS. WE survived a long time without them, and all they did was make me want something I couldn't have. I didn't even notice the lack of BTS. But now that there gone, I feel...better. I like a goos supprise. Nothing like a big update or entire skill from no where. Of course the DDs might provide this same anticipation, but hopefully with vague deadlines \'

Its not like we lacked "real updates" in the past few years. I can name more than a dozen really meaty updates (Summoning, God Wars, The Beast, While Guthix Sleeps immediately come to mind in the past year or two).

rhupajiva.png

I always looked forward to reading it and will miss that. Could be interesting to see updates released that no one saw coming though. ;)

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I always looked forward to reading it and will miss that. Could be interesting to see updates released that no one saw coming though. ;)

I dont know if this is a bad analogy....but think of the BTS like having a baby....the anticipation is part of the experience (9 months and the possible dates the baby could be born). Without the BTS, its like "Hey guess what...you have a baby" without any prior knowledge. Sure its great, but its a real shock to the system.

rhupajiva.png

Eh...I allways looked forward to the BTS's...I'll miss them..

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I'm torn between two sides. The BTS was always something I looked forward to, something I would get up early in the morning and discuss with real life friends who play RS. Now that it is gone there is nothing to look froward too at the beginning of the month.

However I am also happy because it allows us to be surprised and will stop unneeded anticipation. The development diaries and state of play articles will also be nice releases.

I can't figure out if I'm happy or sad. :?

I'm sort of disappointed we'll never get them any more, but in a way it enhances the surprise and will hopefully stop all the god-awful threads that complain about an update before it's even introduced.

What I never understood is the fact that it is called "Behind the Scenes" but yet offered no insight to what was going on behind the scenes and instead just listed what updates WERE COMING that month.

I think that if Jagex would give us an actual BEHIND THE SCENES on the first weekday of every month, that would leave the players happy and also give the dev's their creative freedom. Just tell us what things are closest to completion every month, and tell us how things are going that are far away. No need to say "week 1: udate to fletching, week 2: new quest" just say "remember our fishing mini game we mentioned that was far away last month? well guess what! progress is going great and we can expect to release it soon" or even "this month we have been working on a huge surprise...but youll have to keep your eyes posted here for any more info than that!"

Also it would be nice to get some behind the scenes news about the stuff that appears in "patch notes". Just some news like "we have been working for awhile on ways to make it easier for you to ______ when you are trying to _______ " They don't even have to specifically say what the change is, just a little news that the change is coming would be cool.

MMG says that the new approach with the company is to be a little more open with us...well, it seems like a lot of us are feeling left out in the dark when you get rid of a monthly progress report...

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Well, look on the bright side. At least now we have PROOF that Jagex keeps its promises. :thumbsup:

But in all seriousness, I am for the BTS disappearance, since it means that we'll get a nice surprise for some updates that aren't given DDs.

?r=191108

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

What I never understood is the fact that it is called "Behind the Scenes" but yet offered no insight to what was going on behind the scenes and instead just listed what updates WERE COMING that month.

I think that if Jagex would give us an actual BEHIND THE SCENES on the first weekday of every month, that would leave the players happy and also give the dev's their creative freedom. Just tell us what things are closest to completion every month, and tell us how things are going that are far away. No need to say "week 1: udate to fletching, week 2: new quest" just say "remember our fishing mini game we mentioned that was far away last month? well guess what! progress is going great and we can expect to release it soon" or even "this month we have been working on a huge surprise...but youll have to keep your eyes posted here for any more info than that!"

Also it would be nice to get some behind the scenes news about the stuff that appears in "patch notes". Just some news like "we have been working for awhile on ways to make it easier for you to ______ when you are trying to _______ " They don't even have to specifically say what the change is, just a little news that the change is coming would be cool.

MMG says that the new approach with the company is to be a little more open with us...well, it seems like a lot of us are feeling left out in the dark when you get rid of a monthly progress report...

Lol, I never thought about the "Behind the Scenes" meaning before. Guess they really weren't behind the scenes. Oh and I see yinz a fellow Pittsburgher =)

rhupajiva.png