Oh how I miss you BTS...

rhupajiva

That is exactly how you can tell that the people that make these updates do not love the game as much as we do, This new head of jagex is a smooth talker but, he just seems like another screw up to me i havent been interested in one update this year.. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Just because you weren't interested doesn't mean others hated the updates as well. Personally I've loved every "update year" release they have given us.

No more BTS will allow them to create better quality updates that they can release when they want to.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see both coming out. BTS for just an oversight of months updates, DDs for a deeper sight at Jagex's projects.

And I want to know if I'm going to lose my Quest Cape in advance. :ohnoes:

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

I don't care what updates are, or even how small they are i just want to have an update that they're there, even if some really insignificant thing- i like to hear it

i really miss bts, they don't have to have a deadline set for things i just really want to know whats going on- and saying its like a blog!?!? thats rediculous it shouldn't be that jagex WANTS to post something, it should be jagex ALWAYS posts something FOR RS PLAYERS- this year is for tweaks- for the players, the head of jagex posted saying I want to make it the best for the players(true he stood with it for getting rid of adverts and i'm happy jagex did that for f2p) and yet jagex wants to post at their leisure - not for the players sake/wants - I try to understand jagex as much as possible, and i have never posted anything bad about them, but this is the the only thing i can say is selfish more player would like to see small stuff....then nothing at all!

P.S. sorry for sounding very critical of jagex, i truly appreciate them and their work

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

BTS was the one thing that made me excited at the end of a month or at the beginning of the month...

Now that Jagex took that away, and I dont know when Development Diaries come out, I dont get excited about new months anymore :(

A good idea would maybe be... releasing Development Diaries every month, at the same time they would have released BTS?

Sorry if this idea was alreayd posted, I didnt get the chance to read the whole thread.

its gone?!!

:'(

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

BTS was the one thing that made me excited at the end of a month or at the beginning of the month...

Now that Jagex took that away, and I dont know when Development Diaries come out, I dont get excited about new months anymore :(

A good idea would maybe be... releasing Development Diaries every month, at the same time they would have released BTS?

Sorry if this idea was alreayd posted, I didnt get the chance to read the whole thread.

Q) How often do you intend on releasing Development Diaries?

A) Mod Mark - Whenever the developers feel like they have something to say. Think of them like a blog youd post on a blog if you felt like you had something you wanted to share. DDs will be the same.

If they were to release a DD every month, there wouldn't of been a reason to get rid of the BTS.

Really its just Jagex's way of saying:

We decided we want more time to go through updates to make quality over quantity. We also don't want people to take advantage of upcoming updates like what happened with the broken pickaxes price before the random event change.

Basically in other words.

1) Updates with more quality

2) No people taking advantage of future updates

3) Nobody getting false hopes about an update. An update is what it is when its released.

That's why it was changed.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Not sure if anyone saw this, but...

Q) Heavenlyevil - How often do you intend on releasing Development Diaries?

A) Mod Mark - Whenever the developers feel like they have something to say. Think of them like a blog youd post on a blog if you felt like you had something you wanted to share. DDs will be the same.

Personally, when I read that, I got the feeling that these won't be coming very often.

I really miss BTS as well. Although I do like the surprise factor, it doesn't compare to the anticipation of reading a well written BTS.

Edit: Wow go me. Just realized the post above mine mentions that quote #-o

100523232837.png

Are you winning The Game?

DDs are crap. I didn't care about any of the topics that were supposed to be interesting towards players. Plus, they release them what, 2-3 times a year? thats [cabbage]. Id rather have 12 bts and some updates dont come then 2-3 DDs about the mathematical death cycles for potatoes in allotments. This is like traditional skydiving, starting the dive with your parachute, then changing to hoping your parachute will spawn in your hands. ITS NOT GOOD!

To be honest in my 4 and 1/2 years of playing I still don't know what the hell a Development Diary is or how it's usefull if they don't print it on the new months first day.

BTS was much better.

-=EB World=-

-Sara - 13 hilt 43 ss

-Bandos - 1 BCP, 1 Hilt

I agree with the sentiment of a few people who said they would like to see DDs and the BTS. Remember for a while (maybe 6 months), they did this to great effect. The DDs would give deep insight and the BTS would give teasers. If the problem is updates need full quality control, don't announce them till you are absolutely sure its perfect. Even with that, I think most players are fine with dealing with a few bugs as long as it gets fixed. Sometimes players find bugs that the Q+A would never have thought of.

rhupajiva.png

I remember before i even read BTS every month, i would panic when a awesome update came out and i wasn't informed beforehand. I'd most likely end up panicking too much and falling out of my desk chair. :wall:

And now i bet it's going to be the same :cry:

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

I fail to see why people losing money over speculation is a good thing

It's certainly entertaining to see a bunch of kids who think they're clever, end up losing pretty much everything because of their own short sighted greed, then trying to put the blame on Jagex.

Exhibit 1: People buying up broken pickaxes thinking they would be discontinued

Exhibit 2: People buying up granite

I won't usually argue for safeguards to prevent stupid people from losing money, but in this case I feel justified. It's basically gambling, everyone's in on it and you will either make a little profit or a huge loss. Another example, people though ashes were going to be used for the Phoenix familiar, they tripled in price, and became unsellable.

Why should people waste money over something Jagex can prevent?

2496 Completionist

I think removing BTS was a good idea. You should see RSOF 5 minutes after an anticipated update is released. "This is NOT how I wanted it! change it now or I quit!". Giving players less to anticipate helps them not to get overly excited about the upcoming updates. Mobilising Armies already is getting way too much excitement. Mark my words, the day after it's released there will be RSOF rants everywhere you turn, players wil threaten to quit, and the minigame will be abandoned unless it's extreme fun and good rewards.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I love development diaries, but as they haven't released one about future content that hasn't yet been released, it may be hard to judge.

I think they should release with the next DD hints and 'easter eggs' to future updates, and things that they didn't tell us about. Like the shadow sword for instance.

I understand that they want to make better quality updates; fair enough. But a timeline of sorts to let us know what they're working on to be released shortly would be very nice.

PS: What ever happened to Mobilising Armies?

2v8sgvs.png

PS: What ever happened to Mobilising Armies?

A very good question indeed. I also miss the bts because you at least had an idea what to expect and if to expect anything special at all. the policy is not very much up to my liking, but we cant really change it.

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

99 cooking achieved on december 7th 2008

To be honest, I'm glad they removed BTS. I don't think there are TOO many of us still playing that remember the days before BTS started.

As I understood when BTS came out, they were only to be used for April and May of that year- the desert and underground "theme months" (which I assume Jagex meant to continue but gave up on after only a few months). When the BTSs continued after themed months died, to be honest I was disappointed. I loved the feeling of not knowing what the next update would be, and eagerly awaiting the next Monday (yes, updates used to be done faithfully on Mondays, unless they had the rare design problem that forced them to put it out on Tuesday) to find out. Admittedly, the updates were occasionally disappointments, but at least we didn't know about them for weeks and build up our expectations only to have them be terrible. And the excitement and surprise when something both good and unexpected came out- Monkey Madness, the Brimhaven dungeon, and the Slayer skill come to mind- really haven't been matched by any update since BTS started, with the possible exception of Construction.

I've always seen the BTS as a marketing device for Jagex- something to build excitement and often false hope for future updates, while taking away the element of surprise for genuinely good updates. I think after a few months players will realize that anticipating future updates is much more enjoyable without them.

Call me a cynic if you will, but there is one major problem I have with the removal of BTS, and it is this:

What will happen to the frequency of updates of worth?

Now I may be wrong, but the way I viewed BTS in the same way most companies would view sales targets, ie something to aim for. Now, I can accept that this puts pressure on Jagex' development team, but surely that is what they're paid for? In delivering BTS, they essentially told us what to expect for the upcoming month, both as an incentive to keep the player base active in anticipation, but also to impose some form of responsibility on the developers to deliver.

I, along with many other high levelled friends, have become increasingly frustrated with the poor quality of updates recently which seem to play into the hands of the lazy and the stupid. Take slayer for example: Soul Wars, although a fun game, was not in any way NEEDED as a way to improve slayer. Sure, charm rewards from it are nice, but would it not have been a better update to slayer to introduce new slayer monsters, or tweak drops and extend the assignment lists from each of the masters? Instead what we have is a complete replacement for proper slaying, in the way that for many Pest Control has replaced conventional combat as players strive for meaningless levels faster.

Now, if removing BTS is the way to halt this descent towards a state of universal stupidity and laziness within the game, great. Sadly I fear it will do no such thing, and will in fact alienate people who like to KNOW that good things are planned for the near future. I could yet be proved wrong in my damning analysis, but don't hold your breath...

Complaints were inevitable. It's in the bloody human nature to complain eventually.

As for the good part of a BTS, it helped people theorise in preparation for the updates.

It also helped people prepare for the larger updates (I hope to TPTB that anything big will definitely have a month-ahead warning in terms of DD's.) Imagine if we didn't have a BTS on Godwars and the Godsword, the Summer Quests (and Spirit/Corporeal Beast) or even WGS. But looking at the magnitude of those updates, one hopes that a Dev Diary would be released well-ahead of time.

I joined the P2P side of the game in about 2006 or so, mainly for the quests and what they offered in terms of skills, areas, items and just things to do. Eventually I caught onto minigames after I readily beat quests. A win-win situation proved available for me last month, as some of you may know that I was going overseas (and not within foreseeable contact with a secure computer), and hence did not renew my membership for that reason. Also there proved to be a major lack of worthy updates too. The updates only had one thing of major importance, the lack of any quest.

With a BTS, it somewhat affected my gameplay in terms of monthly hours, basically in terms of a to-do list. Without it, I was building up my character. However as I no longer really need to build up my character anymore as being content with it's stats, playing RS has a lesser meaning for me.

What I'm thinking of is the quality of updates now. We might have less updates that please the general population, or adversely, more. It just all depends on time right now. We just have to wait and see.

i wouldn't mind dds, as long as they're posted frequently, you know like every monday or something like that......wait a sec that sounds like bts

all i want to get out there is idc how big the update is, i just want to see it, and know when jagex will let us know about updates.

also, saying that new postings will be like a blog.....really? that's a really dumb way of putting it particularly after saying that jagex will improve the game for the player, all i see in dds is jagex trying to get themselves more time

P.S. i in no way trying to flame jagex, this is just my opinion

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

My rabbits sip some juice wait JUICE is COMING. :P

Den I liked your old pictures better.

The old one took a long time to make.

Didnt have time to make one today.

I also dont have room for all the capes anymore. :P