Conficker Worm

runescapeloser22

I hope it is real.

I installed anti-virus just for this. -.-

Its certainly real, whether it will do anything serious is the question.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think its all a hoax in terms of doing anything dangerous

That's not likely. Viruses have a history of exploding on this day, so I doubt it's just a joke. Even if the explosion turns out to do nothing this virus has already crippled millions of computers defense systems against other viruses, which makes it dangerous already.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I think the credit card problem for runescape membership was caused by the worm.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Hmm, I can't seem to access Microsoft's website. This might be a problem :) .

Can you get on McAfee? Or any other antivirus site?

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Hmm, I can't seem to access Microsoft's website. This might be a problem :) .

Can you get on McAfee? Or any other antivirus site?

Yep, I checked McAfee and Symantec before I checked Microsoft, and they both worked fine. I running Symantecs detection tool now but I have so much [cabbage] on this computer it isn't even funny, so it's taking forever.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I'm all protected now anyways :) I've finally got a free anti-virus installed (I've been laz-- busy) and I've finally decided to do Windows Updates since I can't auto download them because they include Microsoft Office updates... and Office is very expensive so... torrents ftw?

I just want to know if this thing is doing any damage yet. There is STILL the possibility of a mass rickroll you know...

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Not surprised that nothing's happened. Hopefully it's just a harmless April fools.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I honestly think its all a hoax in terms of doing anything dangerous

That's not likely. Viruses have a history of exploding on this day, so I doubt it's just a joke. Even if the explosion turns out to do nothing this virus has already crippled millions of computers defense systems against other viruses, which makes it dangerous already.

Soooo...Computer AIDS? :o

Just open up Windows Updates and search for new updates.

Conficker strains are reported as the 2nd and 10th most detected on consumer desktops as of today.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I just noticed this.... whenever i type in 'myspace.com' 'tip.it' 'skillandchill.freeforums.org' 'yahoo.com' or anything it sends me to google searching that thing i typed in on my browser o.O oh god... i hope this doesnt relate to the virus because i did the scan from windows that was on the news you can do to make sure you don't have it

edit: just found this from some computer expert on cnn "They'll wait for the hype to subside," he said. "They'll wait for everyone to stop watching, and they'll take it for a test run. They've put together one hell of a botnet here, and they're going to want to exercise it."

:pray:

dillingham1.png

Commissioner of the first Tip.it fantasy baseball league

I just noticed this.... whenever i type in 'myspace.com' 'tip.it' 'skillandchill.freeforums.org' 'yahoo.com' or anything it sends me to google searching that thing i typed in on my browser o.O oh god... i hope this doesnt relate to the virus because i did the scan from windows that was on the news you can do to make sure you don't have it

edit: just found this from some computer expert on cnn "They'll wait for the hype to subside," he said. "They'll wait for everyone to stop watching, and they'll take it for a test run. They've put together one hell of a botnet here, and they're going to want to exercise it."

:pray:

In Google type in "avg" if your browser doesn't crash or lead you to a disconnected page, you should be ok.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Experts still expect something to occur...Oh well.

As expected, the Conficker worm failed to cause the digital pandemonium that some may have feared.

So, can we all just go back to playing on Facebook and watching the game now?

Not really. Just because the worm failed to create much of a stir on the day it was set to activate, April 1, doesn't mean it won't wake up and act later.

"The (malicious) hackers can tell their worm to do something any day of the year; they're just as likely to do it tomorrow or next Wednesday or in August," said Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant with Sophos.

Then why the April 1 message in the code?

Cluley says he doesn't know. "This was such an invisible change inside the code. It was inconsequential to the infected computer that maybe (the creators) didn't think there would be such a frenzy," he said.

Like many other worms, it's likely the Conficker worm is designed to create a botnet that could be used to send spam, launch denial-of-service attacks to shut down Web sites or steal data from infected computers.

David Perry, global director of security education at Trend Micro, said he suspects that the worm creators will slice up the botnet and sell it to spammers via underground forums, like they did with the Storm worm.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10209143-83.html