Do YOU Pirate Music?

Maze

Runescapeloser: I think I've done it at least 10 times before, you just get tired of it. Besides, I have three downloaded albums on my computer so I haven't got the right to talk anymore.

Wait, you mean argue with me? :P

Here let me be the first to justify why I pirate music. I have no intentions of buying any of my music, so if I didn't pirate it I simply wouldn't listen to it, thus nobody's losing any money.

That's generally the justification I can kind of side by. That and an article I read a while back stating that the word of mouth advertisement that bands get through illegal downloading is worth it, given that the pirate wouldn't have bought the album anyways. Of course I still don't really want to try and justify it, although I do think that artists could make a lot more money if they simply dropped their labels.

Personally I think some artists underestimate how amazing word of mouth is for advertisement these days. Even if you're relatively new to the scene if you have good material available for download (supported through paid advertisements or what will you) than you will have people catch on fast.

Really though it is a battle the record companies aren't going to win. NIN already proved that the download method worked, now it's just time for other artists to catch on.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do. A lot. I just listen to a lot of music in general.

However... I also buy more CDs than ANYONE else my age that I know.

If I didn't start pirating music I would never have gotten into music in the way that I am, and I wouldn't have ever purchased so many.

I'm not saying that pirating isn't bad or anything, I'm just saying that I buy a lot of music... and that I don't have $10000 to spend on CDs.

EDIT: To the guys above, yes, word of mouth is huge. I would NEVER go out and buy a CD of a band that I've never listened to. I can't even count all of the bands that I've downloaded music from, liked it, and then the next time they release an album I go and buy it.

I think another plus for buying a full album rather than just downloading a song is that you get the full album. Sure, you could download it, though my personal experience is that every time I get a full album, the songs I overlook over the ones I would have just downloaded end up being my favorites :lol:

Though Internet Radio is great. If there's a heaven, it had better have Pandora :lol:

Besides, those guys are rich enough already, amirite? Not trying to justify it, but why does anyone want to protect there hundred acre forest when all I need is a twig?

You're right. A musician should love what he/she does. If he/she can get the basic needs and a bit more for some luxury, why would you need millions upon millions of dollars?

Because musicians are all so rich, right? I have no problem with you pirating music--I do it myself--but that is a terrible justification for pirating music.

Cool.

no. pirating IS ILLEGAL, why it's called PIRATING. limewire and others are illegal, despite what they say on agreements page.
Pirating is not illegal where I live.

Where do you live + when can I move?

USA Patriot Act makes me a little scared when I torrent these days... if they ever took a stand against piracy they could get instant records of who did what and when and where. :o

In Canada, downloading for personal use is fine. Uploading and sharing it isn't.

Police here don't bother with individuals though...

Who cares if you pirate? The bands? Oh well.. Their fault. If they just stopped making MP3 tracks and made only, like, the old record things then there would be no pirating?

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Who cares if you pirate? The bands? Oh well.. Their fault. If they just stopped making MP3 tracks and made only, like, the old record things then there would be no pirating?

Actually, you can convert cds, vinyls, and even cassettes into mp3s.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Used to. Made up for it by buying the actual albums though.

Don't do it any more, I try to support my favourite artists by actually buying their albums.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Haha, leave them broke. Yeah right

While it is perhaps not so relevant to the artists you see on the charts, it's pretty true for mid-level artists (as an example, artists with less than one million plays on Last.FM).

Cool.

I'm actually about to go use Limewire right now.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Nope, i buy the Cd if i like the band as i like having my growing collection of Cd's going along my wall. Can't do that with music files on a computer.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Nope, i buy the Cd if i like the band as i like having my growing collection of Cd's going along my wall. Can't do that with music files on a computer.

That's one reason I've started collecting vinyl. Interesting conversation piece.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Limewire fails.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Limewire fails.

Except for getting you any song for free in a few seconds.

And a virus every other song.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Limewire fails.

Except for getting you any song for free in a few seconds.

And a virus every other song.

Explain :wall:

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg