Do YOU Pirate Music?

Maze

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do

Why?because everyone here sells Pirated CDs anyway,so why bother?

And why pay 20 dollars for an album if i only want one song?don't tell me apple store,i don't buy my things over the internet

f3rxhg.gif

Cybermullet.png

Yep.

Just downloaded limewire 5, its quite good as long as i remember to scan everything i download.

Limewire? LIMEWIRE?! Are you [bleep]ing kidding me?!

Torrenting is the first and best option. If all fails there, then try to get a friend to DCC send it to you. If that fails, then Frostwire is your very last resort.

Torrenting full albums :thumbup:

Limewire-ing individual songs :thumbdown:

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I do

And why pay 20 dollars for an album if i only want one song?don't tell me apple store,i don't buy my things over the internet

f3rxhg.gif

That image is a really stupid justification for piracy. Pirating a copy of a CD effectively removes the revenue that the band would have otherwise received if you bought it legally. It has essentially the same consequence as stealing.

I do

f3rxhg.gif

That image is a really stupid justification for piracy. Pirating a copy of a CD effectively removes the revenue that the band would have otherwise received if you bought it legally. It has essentially the same consequence as stealing.

As most people here have been saying though, they just want an individual song usually, and so probably wouldn't have bought the album anyway.

My main reason for not pirating/torrenting is being extremely paranoid of any consequences as it is illegal as far as I am aware. I don't mind buying my own CDs as I don't get them often anyway.

Except that in most cases the user wouldn't have bought the product anyways, effectively causing no harm at all. You can't remove revenue if you wouldn't have bought the item in the first place. :)

And then one could go on to talk about the word of mouth advertisement that they would get from you telling others about the album/band.

It's not all black and white.

Except that in most cases the user wouldn't have bought the product anyways, effectively causing no harm at all. You can't remove revenue if you wouldn't have bought the item in the first place. :)

And then one could go on to talk about the word of mouth advertisement that they would get from you telling others about the album/band.

I did say if you bought it legally, but you're right, I can't fault your argument. My point was probably too simplistic.

I would question your argument for more well known bands, though. If they're popular enough to be known and their music is freely avaliable either in store or on the internt (e.g. itunes or something like that), then the avaliability of illegal downloading probably puts a dent in sales. I've not done any hard research into that, though.

Yep.

Just downloaded limewire 5, its quite good as long as i remember to scan everything i download.

Limewire? LIMEWIRE?! Are you [bleep] kidding me?!

Torrenting is the first and best option. If all fails there, then try to get a friend to DCC send it to you. If that fails, then Frostwire is your very last resort.

Torrenting full albums :thumbup:

Limewire-ing individual songs :thumbdown:

I don't really want whole albums though, and alot of the bands i look to download are little known or known for one or two songs at most or are new, and its hard to find a decent torrent for them, but its easy to find the songs on limewire.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I did say if you bought it legally, but you're right, I can't fault your argument. My point was probably too simplistic.

I would question your argument for more well known bands, though. If they're popular enough to be known and their music is freely avaliable either in store or on the internt (e.g. itunes or something like that), then the avaliability of illegal downloading probably puts a dent in sales. I've not done any hard research into that, though.

There isn't any research I know of of piracy having a direct cause with lessened album sales, but there is research of it not harming music sales. [1][2].

:) I still stand by that bands should learn to deal with how music is obtained now and try and adapt. NIN and several others have made a successful jump to a more updated model of selling music. Of course places like the RIAA doesn't want this shift because they lose money out of this. Artists going as their own record labels is really the way forward IMO.

Technically I do, because US copyright laws are screwed... if you copy a CD onto your computer/rip it to mp3s you're legally pirating music, even if you paid for it once. I do buy all my music, but I copy it onto my comp/mp3 player. Because it's dumb to pay more then once for something you already own.

Wrote a speech on piracy, I have to actually give the speech sometime next week. I'm not sure if it's any good though, I wrote it in the middle of the night and haven't looked at it since, so who knows.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Well, there are quite a few scenarios where piracy is actually a good thing.

Guy A pirates 21st Century Breakdown. He gives a copy to Guy B. Guy B likes, buys the rest of Green Days's albums. Let's say each album is $10, then Green Day makes $30 instead of just $10.

Also, people who download music illegally are more likely to pay for it (weird, isn't it?). :?

People be jealous of my waffles and what.cd access. :D

I'm not. Even well seeded torrents go slower than direct downloads. Unless you get 1 mb/s, those sites fail.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

People be jealous of my waffles and what.cd access. :D

I'm not. Even well seeded torrents go slower than direct downloads. Unless you get 1 mb/s, those sites fail.

I get 1mb/s off of well seeded torrents. Learn to set up your software properly.

Has anyone who has pirated music and then afterwards lived a "life of good", did you then delete your pirated music?

Nope, and glad I didn't. :3

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I pirate music, as well as a lot of other stuff. I justify it by buying stuff I really like. I know it isn't morally right, but looking at all the movie I have purchased blind just because I liked something else that particular director/writer/actor did that I had downloaded I don't feel bad about doing it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Has anyone who has pirated music and then afterwards lived a "life of good", did you then delete your pirated music?

I delete it if it turns out to be crap, does that count?

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I delete it if it turns out to be crap, does that count?

I'd say no, you still "own" pirated stuff, which why I don't get why people who pirated suddenly pretend to be doing the "good" thing, when they still "own" said material from the past.