anyone think phats are overpriced?

admiral_5

Of course some people buy without selling. If every buyer were also a seller, as you suggest, scarcity would never increase. Most circulating phats are bought and sold by merchants, but every now and then some regular player buys one and squirrels it away in her bank. That makes the remaining circulating hats that much more rare (and expensive).

You don't have to say "hoards" like that. It's so negative. :P Just because some people enjoy having their party hats and never sell them doesn't mean they are bad people.

I've been playing since 2001, with 6 phats in my bank and 21 minor rares. :P I have never sold any although I used to give them away back when we were all happy in RS Classic. :) Does that mean I "hoard"???

You're reading something that isn't there. Look again.

punitivedsig.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like so many others have said, they are not overpriced. The market maintains efficiency... that's the price they should be, where supply meets demand.

While phats will have minor fluctuations in price like any other item, in the long term, they will ALWAYS be increasing. Why? Supply is always dropping, and demand is always either constant or increasing.

And AFAIK, you won't have much luck buying a phat on the g/e.. the street value price is a lot higher.

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

Yeah I recently got 180m for the sole purpose of buying a green partyhat... Pretty much has been my goal since I started Runescape.

Now I can't buy them unless I have 10-15k prayer potions or a lot of pumpkins/disks.

Pumpkins and disks don't sell either so they're pretty impossible to buy.

1288581197250-1.jpg

And AFAIK, you won't have much luck buying a phat on the g/e.. the street value price is a lot higher.

This will be true until the inevitable correction, at which point they will be buyable on the GE again.

What correction? huh?

[2010] Proud Member of Downfall

[2004-2005] Former Leader of The Unbreakables, Former Member of Corruption, Former Member of 'The' Clan

(...and Anarchy for a few weeks... shhh...)

Phats have been rising a lot. in the past 5 months, they were merely used as junk. now the demand is so high that purple is going for at least 200m...

this is getting out of hand. i have 180m cash and i really want to buy a purple before i start cleaning my bank. i tried to put the max offer seconds after the ge update and still no one is selling. (4 attempts so far). can anyone give a statement of why the phat craze is continuing?

Post script edited. ~Laura0077

Hey man, they weren't always junk, its not like people just suddenly wanted partyhats, they were always expensive and in demand. Only reason they were considered junk is because everyone came to that consensus and no one wanted to buy crashing items. Ask yourself, did you want a partyhat when they were crashing? Will you want it if it crashes again? And think about this, partyhats used to be a lot more, right before the grand exchange was when partyhats were at their highest. I really can't remember too much the prices of others hats, but I know that blues were going for 600m before the grand exchange came out. When the GE was announced people panicked and sold all their hats and Jagex took those crashed prices as the street price instead of looking at the price pre announcement. Honestly, with how much money is in the game now, I expect partyhats to continue to go up for a veryyy long time. I do think that it sucks that even if you have money they are still impossible to buy. Also, don't bother trying to get in the GE unless you are using a bot, not even kidding. If you don't have you offer in the second the GE updates, you aren't getting one.

Sleep on...fly on.

In your mind, you can fly.

Gigatiran.png

This will be true until the inevitable correction, at which point they will be buyable on the GE again.

What correction? huh?

As I have said repeatedly, the present rate of price increase is unsustainable. Think about it for a second -- take the present price chart on partyhats and project that forward over a year, over two years. They can't cotinue to rise at that rate. Eventually, the prices will be absurd, and people will sell. Prices will level out at the least (for a while), and probably drop a little (before going back up again). When that happens, partyhats will be buyable in the GE, at least for a while. Btw, this is likely to happen, if not before, when Jagex releases the "next big thing." Next time something like spirit shields comes out, watch people sell their partyhats to buy the new item.

punitivedsig.png

Party Hats aren't overprices, they are simply priced wrong.

There is too much demand on the GE and too little supply, thus causing people to be forced to pay 50m over the GE price.

A few months ago I tried buying a Purple just to have, and couldn't get it off the GE. I was for sure not going to pay over the GE price.

Stellactic.gif

Phats have been rising a lot. in the past 5 months, they were merely used as junk. now the demand is so high that purple is going for at least 200m...

this is getting out of hand. i have 180m cash and i really want to buy a purple before i start cleaning my bank. i tried to put the max offer seconds after the ge update and still no one is selling. (4 attempts so far). can anyone give a statement of why the phat craze is continuing?

Hey man, they weren't always junk, its not like people just suddenly wanted partyhats, they were always expensive and in demand. Only reason they were considered junk is because everyone came to that consensus and no one wanted to buy crashing items. Ask yourself, did you want a partyhat when they were crashing? Will you want it if it crashes again? And think about this, partyhats used to be a lot more, right before the grand exchange was when partyhats were at their highest. I really can't remember too much the prices of others hats, but I know that blues were going for 600m before the grand exchange came out. When the GE was announced people panicked and sold all their hats and Jagex took those crashed prices as the street price instead of looking at the price pre announcement. Honestly, with how much money is in the game now, I expect partyhats to continue to go up for a veryyy long time. I do think that it sucks that even if you have money they are still impossible to buy. Also, don't bother trying to get in the GE unless you are using a bot, not even kidding. If you don't have you offer in the second the GE updates, you aren't getting one.

I did put in an offer for a purple phat around 2-3 mins after the update and got it at the same day so it isn't impossible. Same for a friend who got 2 phats in the last weeks off the ge.

[404] Signature not found.

They should be expensive. They are pretty cool looking, and cannot be gotten anymore. But I don't think the price they are at is right. That is alot of GP for something that does nothing but look good. (IMO they look good at least).

I do want one, but I can't afford one. Even if they were cheaper, I still would not have access to one. Maybe after I max combat I can sell my fighting gear :P I just don't have massive amounts of money.

35b9enp.jpg

I just met a player today who had been banned for 4 years. His ban just lifted today. He had 28 blue party hats in his bank. I talked him into giving me one since he thought they were only worth 50gp until I realized I had no way to get it. Then I told him the truth that they were actually worth more than 300 mil. That is one rich lvl 64.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

I just met a player today who had been banned for 4 years. His ban just lifted today. He had 28 blue party hats in his bank. I talked him into giving me one since he thought they were only worth 50gp until I realized I had no way to get it. Then I told him the truth that they were actually worth more than 300 mil. That is one rich lvl 64.

And you know he had 28...how? No way for him to show you unless he took a picture. So.."No pic no proof".

RIP Michaelangelopolous

4 years ago would be 2005 - I promise you, blues weren't 50 gp ea in '05. They were nearing 1m each in '02.

Sorry, but when you lie, at least try to make a plausible story.

I did put in an offer for a purple phat around 2-3 mins after the update and got it at the same day so it isn't impossible. Same for a friend who got 2 phats in the last weeks off the ge.

your making it sound like 2-3 minutes after update is easy but tbh, it isn't. just so you know, admirals my friend, he even showed me proof that after seconds putting it in the ge, he still didn't get it.

Over priced and under priced at the same time. They are worthless as an item making them overpriced, but at the same time they're the rarest items in the game and there can never be any more that come into it.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

No they are in no way overpriced.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

Despite the fact that there is no way for a new one to come into the game without some sort of hack or bug or glitch, they are overpriced, as they don't serve any useful purpose other than a status symbol.

Just a way to say that you were around when they were first out, was lucky enough to get one before the trade update for cheap/free, or you're loaded.

Twibb.png