Change of Forum Software - UPDATED!

MageUK

Well as long as our accounts are transferred without us having to create a new one i am happy, although the chance to "edit" your username may be a good addition for some people if it is included.

:thumbsup: =D>

If my reading skills serve me well, I'm pretty sure this will be disabled on the IPB board too. :o

Dang, still no capital b then :(

2j3qh46.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it would be fun to hold a skinning contest :)

If anyone is up to making a cross-browser skin/theme/style for IPB in Tip.Its colours, I'm sure Tip.It wouldn't mind. Though, you have to be prepared for it to be rejected.

A little off topic, but who pays for all this - and how much does it cost?

Rune Tips was originally founded by STEEL Corporation Inc. Dmonik, BlueRose13x, Lightning, Starlude, Xentia, Kibble, Rodrigo, DOC IRON 9, Sir Beachy, Stud6900, Hitman X and Silverion.

I think everyone has retired but Silverion? - Is he the sole website owner then, who pays all the bills?

Forgive my lack of knowlege on the subject, or my noseyness as it were :oops:

If it's alot of money, maybe a news article could be put out for a donations. After all, a recent questionnaire discovered not many people knew about donating to tipit. If tipit doesn't want a 'donation drive' as it were; perhaps the donations button could be in a more visable area.

Or has the change of forum software only come about because of sufficient funds gaining from donations/ads over the last few years?

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Alright...

•  
    [*:2b0a3xkn]When large images are posted in a topic, the forum will automatically reduce the image into a thumbnail to stop stretching the window.

I really don't like this.. :( If there's a way one can set it so things are set as thumbnails, that'd be good. But having to click each picture to actually see clearly what's there is not something I'll look forward to doing.. :-#

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Alright...

•  
    [*:318cg2zo]When large images are posted in a topic, the forum will automatically reduce the image into a thumbnail to stop stretching the window.

I really don't like this.. :( If there's a way one can set it so things are set as thumbnails, that'd be good. But having to click each picture to actually see clearly what's there is not something I'll look forward to doing.. :-#

There's always cropping ;) Or, just play on standard detail. But seriously, it will help load times for pages with lots of images, and it wont automatically stretch the page.

Alright...

•  
    [*:3tf47jia]When large images are posted in a topic, the forum will automatically reduce the image into a thumbnail to stop stretching the window.

There's always cropping ;) Or, just play on standard detail. But seriously, it will help load times for pages with lots of images, and it wont automatically stretch the page.

That's the thing, I've a very good internet connection so loading a page full of images takes a very short time (Seconds), therefore with this meaning I'd have to open each picture is going to be a right pain.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Alright...

•  
    [*:2mljrw39]When large images are posted in a topic, the forum will automatically reduce the image into a thumbnail to stop stretching the window.

Currently we only allow large pictures to be in hide tags so they don't stretch the layout. You have to click to open the hide tag anyway. We don't know if we'll use it yet though, we may just keep it turned off and mandate hide tags for large images as we do now.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully the transition will pass without too many bugs.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Alright...

•  
    [*:1m9v8ii0]When large images are posted in a topic, the forum will automatically reduce the image into a thumbnail to stop stretching the window.

That's the thing, I've a very good internet connection so loading a page full of images takes a very short time (Seconds), therefore with this meaning I'd have to open each picture is going to be a right pain.

People need to learn how to crop and resize. Pics bigger than the forum width cause it to stretch, and that's annoying. There is no reason that one can't just properly resize and crop his or her pictures. Therefore, the automatic resize thing is good. People who know how to post pics will not be affected, while the forum layout is maintained.

People need to learn how to crop and resize. Pics bigger than the forum width cause it to stretch, and that's annoying. There is no reason that one can't just properly resize and crop his or her pictures. Therefore, the automatic resize thing is good. People who know how to post pics will not be affected, while the forum layout is maintained.

[Off-topic]

Regarding stretching for other people, is there a certain size I should resize my images to? Only, I'm using a 22" monitor and the theme is fluid for me. I would assume 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 would be a sensible figure to go for?

[/Off-topic]

I personally have never dabbled in the world of IPB, so I have no idea if it's possible. However, I was thinking, if there was a way we could have a setting to turn this automatic picture resizing on and off? (With it being turned on by default of course)

I don't know whether or not the new themes will be fluid or fixed, but if it is fluid then having this option would benefit to those of us who use a large resolution, and don't want to click on every image to enlarge it (that would of initially fitted on our screen to begin with)

Untitled-1_01-1.png

awcaddet2.gifawcaddet2.gifUntitled-1_04-1.pngsig-11716.jpgsig-11743.jpgsig-11744.jpgsig-11745.jpg

(Signature Work in Progress)

I personally have never dabbled in the world of IPB, so I have no idea if it's possible. However, I was thinking, if there was a way we could have a setting to turn this automatic picture resizing on and off? (With it being turned on by default of course)

I don't know whether or not the new themes will be fluid or fixed, but if it is fluid then having this option would benefit to those of us who use a large resolution, and don't want to click on every image to enlarge it (that would of initially fitted on our screen to begin with)

That's how I believe it works. If your browser is wide enough for the image, no resizing will take place. If your browser is too small, the image will break the layout and cause a scrollbar, then the image will be resized (same image just smaller) to the required width (and height).

You can see this in action here (only demo I could find, ignore the actual thread contents - very old), make your browser smaller so the image overflows: http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2 ... ge-resize/

[Off-topic]

Regarding stretching for other people, is there a certain size I should resize my images to? Only, I'm using a 22" monitor and the theme is fluid for me. I would assume 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 would be a sensible figure to go for?

[/Off-topic]

I think the average width is between 768 and 1024 pixels. Forum width is probably 2/3 of that. Whenever I resize pics to post them, I keep the width to something like 500 pixels. Big enough. Sometimes with a click-through for the fullsize pic.

That's how I believe it works. If your browser is wide enough for the image, no resizing will take place. If your browser is too small, the image will break the layout and cause a scrollbar, then the image will be resized (same image just smaller) to the required width (and height).

You can see this in action here (only demo I could find, ignore the actual thread contents - very old), make your browser smaller so the image overflows: http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/2 ... ge-resize/

Ahh, Perfect then! :D

I guess now the only other argument against this resize process would be for the other person who mentioned that they have a quick enough internet to handle the load. However personally I would be fine with a setup such as that. Thanks Mil_Odedra

I think the average width is between 768 and 1024 pixels. Forum width is probably 2/3 of that. Whenever I resize pics to post them, I keep the width to something like 500 pixels. Big enough. Sometimes with a click-through for the fullsize pic.

Understood, well, I will aim to hit that 500px mark on my future uploads/image posts in that case. Thanks for your help.

Really looking forward to the crossover to IPB now <3:<3:

Untitled-1_01-1.png

awcaddet2.gifawcaddet2.gifUntitled-1_04-1.pngsig-11716.jpgsig-11743.jpgsig-11744.jpgsig-11745.jpg

(Signature Work in Progress)

That's extremely nice, and a lot better than I thought.

Does that mean images in hide tags will be shrunk too? Because i play the Tip It Hegemony, and shrunken maps aren't detailed enough

It only shrinks the image to your screen size, and there's the option to expand it just by clicking on it.

Puremage - sorry for all the questions, but will Tip.It be using the sidepanes shown on the demo site? Those look pretty annoying. Also, please say you aren't allowing status updates.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

That's extremely nice, and a lot better than I thought.

Does that mean images in hide tags will be shrunk too? Because i play the Tip It Hegemony, and shrunken maps aren't detailed enough

It only shrinks the image to your screen size, and there's the option to expand it just by clicking on it.

Puremage - sorry for all the questions, but will Tip.It be using the sidepanes shown on the demo site? Those look pretty annoying. Also, please say you aren't allowing status updates.

The sidebar on the demo site is part of the default skin, but if you look there's an X in the top right which will close it (and it will remember that for your account). Also status updates probably would be allowed, what you're seeing on the front page there is what's called a hook which is displaying the latest updates, which we wouldn't use. To find out a member's status the way we'll have it setup you'd have to specifically visit their profile page, it wouldn't be broadcast on the forum like that.

A little off topic, but who pays for all this - and how much does it cost?

Rune Tips was originally founded by STEEL Corporation Inc. Dmonik, BlueRose13x, Lightning, Starlude, Xentia, Kibble, Rodrigo, DOC IRON 9, Sir Beachy, Stud6900, Hitman X and Silverion.

I think everyone has retired but Silverion? - Is he the sole website owner then, who pays all the bills?

Forgive my lack of knowlege on the subject, or my noseyness as it were :oops:

If it's alot of money, maybe a news article could be put out for a donations. After all, a recent questionnaire discovered not many people knew about donating to tipit. If tipit doesn't want a 'donation drive' as it were; perhaps the donations button could be in a more visable area.

Or has the change of forum software only come about because of sufficient funds gaining from donations/ads over the last few years?

I'm personally interested in how Tip.it works too. Anyone have answers?

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

I'm personally interested in how Tip.it works too. Anyone have answers?

If you really must know a teeny bit of pixie dust, some take out, and a great community. ;)

And an awful lot of work from the Moderators, the Admins, and the TET team. Har har.

This signature is intentionally left blank.