Real life help & advice

Abc1230

[hide]

OK so I have a major problem here.

Since middle school I have been playing online games like RS and stuff and doing nothing else (no life, I know). I still had friends and stuff at school and did one extracurricular activity (robotics).

I am now entering my senior year at high school and have no idea what to do with my life. I am very smart, #8 in my class. I am also starting to get very bored of gaming. However, I seem to have no interest in anything else. It feels like its pointless to do anything because nothing worthwhile will come out of it.

It basically seems like there is no fun in life. I like to watch sports, but I can only watch a game for 30 minutes before I start to get bored. I can't really go out anywhere because I live very far from my friends (out of city school). Also, my parents think that I am "perfect" and that I don't need to be doing stuff that "stupid American kids" do (they are from India) and think that I will ruin my education doing that.

So here is my question: What can I do for fun? Anything I try gets boring to me really fast, and I come back to this question in a worse mental state.

[/hide]

Get a hobby. It can be anything, really. Trial a number of different things until you find something you're interested in.

That's my problem. Either I can't do something or I have done it/don't like it.

Running, fitness, football, handegg (if you live in the US), piano, guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, start up photoshop, start up GIMP, try illustrator (lots of money to be made here) or make a blog?

WTF is handegg? I live in the US and I've never heard of it. Do you mean American football? Because that is the strangest name for it I've ever heard.

Illustrator, I'm assuming, is a program like photoshop/GIMP. Where is the money in that?

Illustrator is a vector imaging program made by Adobe.

@Pirate:

Everything you said there either turns me off or I am incapable of. For example, I can't really buy any instruments or software because my family is rather poor and I don't have a job (see: first post). I can't really do anything like sports because my homework load can be massive due to my high-level classes. Also, I can't go out for much because my parents don't have time and we can't afford another car.

Also, I know that I want to either go in the medical or engineering field. (Big difference, I know)

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

Also, I know that I want to either go in the medical or engineering field. (Big difference, I know)

That's an excellent place to start. Now do some research, go to the library, find some info on those. You don't have to choose, but knowing that you enjoy learning about either (or both) of them will be a huge benefit.

That is assuming those are topics you enjoy, and not ideas forced on you by your parents.

Hobbies don't have to be non-academic. If you love learning, then learn.

Lol@Elknight. Good luck convincing the NFL to change its name. We already have an NHL, anyways.

That's an excellent place to start. Now do some research, go to the library, find some info on those. You don't have to choose, but knowing that you enjoy learning about either (or both) of them will be a huge benefit.

That is assuming those are topics you enjoy, and not ideas forced on you by your parents.

Lol@Elknight. Good luck convincing the NFL to change its name. We already have an NHL, anyways.

I already know why I want to do each. My parents want me to become a doctor, and I know, along with them, that the best jobs in the world are in medicine (Very high starting pay, people will keep getting sick = no unemployment, the job is incredibly easy once you pass med school). I want to go into computers/engineering, but that has very low pay and it is hard to get a job in a recession like the current one.

My family also says that as a doctor, you have to work only a few days a week and will have loads of time to have fun. However, that got me thinking: what is "fun"? That idea progressed into the state I am in currently.

animsig.gif

-Joseph Stalin

I already know why I want to do each. My parents want me to become a doctor, and I know, along with them, that the best jobs in the world are in medicine (Very high starting pay, people will keep getting sick = no unemployment, the job is incredibly easy once you pass med school). I want to go into computers/engineering, but that has very low pay and it is hard to get a job in a recession like the current one.

Don't base what you are going to do based on money or what others want you to do. Do something that you will actually enjoy doing in your life. Where you won't complain when you wake up every morning about doing something you don't want to do.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

[hide]

Since middle school I have been playing online games like RS and stuff and doing nothing else (no life, I know). I still had friends and stuff at school and did one extracurricular activity (robotics).

I am now entering my senior year at high school and have no idea what to do with my life. I am very smart, #8 in my class. I am also starting to get very bored of gaming. However, I seem to have no interest in anything else. It feels like its pointless to do anything because nothing worthwhile will come out of it.

It basically seems like there is no fun in life. I like to watch sports, but I can only watch a game for 30 minutes before I start to get bored. I can't really go out anywhere because I live very far from my friends (out of city school). Also, my parents think that I am "perfect" and that I don't need to be doing stuff that "stupid American kids" do (they are from India) and think that I will ruin my education doing that.

So here is my question: What can I do for fun? Anything I try gets boring to me really fast, and I come back to this question in a worse mental state.

[/hide]

Get a hobby. It can be anything, really. Trial a number of different things until you find something you're interested in.

Running, fitness, football, handegg (if you live in the US), piano, guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, start up photoshop, start up GIMP, try illustrator (lots of money to be made here) or make a blog?

WTF is handegg? I live in the US and I've never heard of it. Do you mean American football? Because that is the strangest name for it I've ever heard.

Illustrator, I'm assuming, is a program like photoshop/GIMP. Where is the money in that?

@Pirate:

Everything you said there either turns me off or I am incapable of. For example, I can't really buy any instruments or software because my family is rather poor and I don't have a job (see: first post). I can't really do anything like sports because my homework load can be massive due to my high-level classes. Also, I can't go out for much because my parents don't have time and we can't afford another car.

How can you call american football american football if you use your hands and an egg shaped thing.

Handegg.

@Shawn, Illustrator makes cool money with T Shirt designs, theres always time for sports.

And, get a job?

And, torrent software, GIMP is freeware so no torrent required for that. (nobody is going to buy photoshop/illustrator, its like 100)

Got an iPod/MP3 player? Get some cheap running shoes and cheap sports clothing and whenever you see free time just go running with music in, its cool and calming and relaxing and good for your condition.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

[hide]

[/hide]

@Pirate:

Or you could do both and go into biomedical engineering.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

This line doesn't rhyme,

And neither does this one.

[hide]

[/hide]

@Pirate:

How can you call american football american football if you use your hands and an egg shaped thing.

Handegg.

@Shawn, Illustrator makes cool money with T Shirt designs, theres always time for sports.

And, get a job?

And, torrent software, GIMP is freeware so no torrent required for that. (nobody is going to buy photoshop/illustrator, its like 100)

Got an iPod/MP3 player? Get some cheap running shoes and cheap sports clothing and whenever you see free time just go running with music in, its cool and calming and relaxing and good for your condition.

I torrented adobe cs5 master and office 2010 on my brand new pc last night. Retail: $2200 iirc.

Actually, I don't have any music players. I also don't live in an area where running would be advisable, if you get what I'm saying.

[hide]

[/hide]

@Pirate:

Or you could do both and go into biomedical engineering.

Thats what I'm thinking about.

animsig.gif

-Joseph Stalin

I want to go into computers/engineering, but that has very low pay and it is hard to get a job in a recession like the current one.

Erm, computers/engineering actually pay very well. In addition to that the number of students pursuing an engineering degree in the United States has been dropping every year since the 1960's IIRC. Though the physical engineering occupations have been dropping; it's predicted that by 2020 about 70% of engineering jobs will be in computer science/engineering. The last 30% will pretty much encompass mechanical, aerospace, civil, nuclear, and all other kinds of engineering. o.o

wl7w9j.png

[hide]

[/hide]

@Pirate:

Handegg.

And, get a job?

I torrented adobe cs5 master and office 2010 on my brand new pc last night. Retail: $2200 iirc.

Actually, I don't have any music players. I also don't live in an area where running would be advisable, if you get what I'm saying.

In the ghetto, in the ghetto, where kenny lives, in the ghetto.

And what about just a simple job at some biomedical engineering [cabbage] to get good connections for later?

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I now have an appointment at the Orthopaedic section on our hospital. Why have I got an appointment here? I have anemia so am I going in for a simple blood test? I got this letter out of the blue...

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Why is this thread not stickied?

Because TIF is not a Help Forum. Not all of us are struggling in real life. :razz:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Because TIF is not a Help Forum. Not all of us are struggling in real life. :razz:

The relationship thread is stickied.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

This line doesn't rhyme,

And neither does this one.

And I always wonder why. <_<

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

because we're all crap with girls due to too much rs and too little outside life?

Because this forum is a haven for introverts to complain about how they can't talk to girls (but it's not their fault) and how school is stupid.

School is not stupid - it has great potential. It's the current system that everyone seems to be complaining about.

And yeah, girl troubles is a very common problem amongst RPG forumers. Go figure.

Because this forum is a haven for introverts to complain about how they can't talk to girls (but it's not their fault) and how school is stupid.

School is not stupid - it has great potential. It's the current system that everyone seems to be complaining about.

And yeah, girl troubles is a very common problem amongst RPG forumers. Go figure.

some of those common problems include "she was really a dude in a skirt"

Yea. But the key part is where they ignore everyone who can give advice, or they say they'll accept advice, but never put it to practical use.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

So what are we doing on the off-topic section of a Runescape forum?

Posting things, obviously.

[hide]:twss:[/hide]

Because people wanting advice kept making new topics.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Are you saying it's a problem to participate in the off-topic section of a RS forum? Sounds more like a personal problem then anything.

This thread is not "pinned" (term IPB uses) because it is consistently on the main page and we don't need any more things stickies then there already is.

tFtfA.jpg

Ok I'm procrastinating some reading I have to do but I need your guy help in finding me those like decorative white lights. I tried finding an example but of course I couldn't find one when I was actually look for one..

tFtfA.jpg