Fire cape compromise. New post by Mod Chris L.

Obtaurian

I challange you all to think about why Jagex have decided to remove the firecape requirement, what effect it will have on the price of the staff of light, and therefore its role, and how this influences how you see the future of elite content in the game.

Why would they cave in to ranters for the first time ever?

why would they consider disability concerns for the first time ever?

Where is runescape headed?

What are the greatest standard achievements in the game currently?

what achievements currently require clicking skills?

please let's see some reflection and thought rather than argument-bashing that serves no purpose, and leads to no deeper understanding of the issue at hand.

They've decided not to offer a new gameplay beyond grinding for rewards, sticking with the old formula for game updates.

"Update: Context X is now unlockable at level Y for skill Z!"

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what really rubs me raw about this situation. The most common argument against the Fire Cape requirement is "it excludes people who have disabilities which prevent them from being able to complete it." Well, the average player in RS is something like 15-18 years old. That is way too young to be experiencing "reflex problems" that affect you to the extent where you can't see an animation and respond to it by clicking a fairly large symbol on your prayer interface.

Yes, there are indeed some middle-aged (and elderly) people who play and there are people with joint issues that cause extreme pain when they play for prolonged periods, but as I said, they are the MINORITY. The majority of people complaining are just lazy band-wagoners who don't want to sit through the hour-and-a-half (OF NON-CONSECUTIVE PLAY TIME) to get to Jad. And before somebody says it, failing at Jad ten times because you "got nervous and messed up" is NOT a disability.

I give anyone this challenge if they think that jad is so easy no matter your connection. Get a satalite high speed service that has a time delay of at least 2 seconds then try and beat jad.

Time delay is not lag, time delay is where it takes a certain periode for data to be transfered from your computer to a server because of a satalite and vice versa. In other words when jads emote or sound for attacking apears on your computer two seconds have actually passed. and then it takes another few seconds for the prayer to actaully activate when you click the button.

I'm just sick and tired of people just assuming that you can get a decent connection no matter where you live.

I'm just sick and tired of people just assuming that you have to have a decent connection to win against Jad.

Jad can be beaten without prayer switching. Granted, it's harder, and requires good equipment, skills, and strategy, but that's what faces all players who choose to play despite a poor internet connection. Difficult is not impossible, and unless your situation is extremely, extremely dire.

In the end, the amount of these people who benefit is going to pale in comparison to the amount of people who gave up, or were simply too weak and/or lazy.

This, My friend killed Jad and managed to survive for 5 attacks in a row without prayer, due to lag. I managed to take 2 with about 68 hp. Died still, thought. It is possible, but not easy.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Here's what really rubs me raw about this situation. The most common argument against the Fire Cape requirement is "it excludes people who have disabilities which prevent them from being able to complete it." Well, the average player in RS is something like 15-18 years old. That is way too young to be experiencing "reflex problems" that affect you to the extent where you can't see an animation and respond to it by clicking a fairly large symbol on your prayer interface.

Yes, there are indeed some middle-aged (and elderly) people who play and there are people with joint issues that cause extreme pain when they play for prolonged periods, but as I said, they are the MINORITY. The majority of people complaining are just lazy band-wagoners who don't want to sit through the hour-and-a-half (OF NON-CONSECUTIVE PLAY TIME) to get to Jad. And before somebody says it, failing at Jad ten times because you "got nervous and messed up" is NOT a disability.

Also note that driving takes much more skill than killing Jad. The only reason people don't die in car crashes everyday is because of practice. All you need to kill Jad is hand-eye coordination and some good timing. I wont even list all the things needed to drive a car correctly.

And getting to Jad isn't even an issue... I don't know how people who can grind to 93 slayer are complaining about being forced to grind before fighting Jad. This [cabbage] should be their specialty.

How should it be our specialty?

I myself never had any motivation to get a Fire Cape, and I got to 99 Slayer.

The difference? I enjoyed Slayer, I don't enjoy going through the Caves, only to possibly die at Jad. I never died once during Slayer.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I challange you all to think about why Jagex have decided to remove the firecape requirement, what effect it will have on the price of the staff of light, and therefore its role, and how this influences how you see the future of elite content in the game.

Why would they cave in to ranters for the first time ever?

why would they consider disability concerns for the first time ever?

Where is runescape headed?

What are the greatest standard achievements in the game currently?

what achievements currently require clicking skills?

please let's see some reflection and thought rather than argument-bashing that serves no purpose, and leads to no deeper understanding of the issue at hand.

They've decided not to offer a new gameplay beyond grinding for rewards, sticking with the old formula for game updates.

So you believe Jagex changed their entire update ideology over the negative response they got on the RSOF? What about all the updates in the making, we know developing content takes months!

But yes, thanks for taking a step back and examining what is really going on, rather than the constant re-itteration of the same arguments over and over.

I have faith Jagex wish to integrate skills in the release of elite content, such as the elite ardougne diary and nomad's requiem (boss fighting integrated in quests to a new level in my opinion).

Anyone else have thoughts?

So you believe Jagex changed their entire update ideology over the negative response they got on the RSOF? What about all the updates in the making, we know developing content takes months!

I do yeah. They've allready said they wont be graphic updating barrows because of "possible negative response in the community".

I do yeah. They've allready said they wont be graphic updating barrows because of "possible negative response in the community".

It's a very conveinent argument for saving a lot of uneccessary work as the new skill probably requires more and more graphical developers. Updating content is a lot less rewarding to the community as a whole, because the game engien will lnto be updated (look at combat). Graphics are therefor much of a lost cause, as the basics remain firmly founded in 2001. There's nothing Jagex can do about that, and graphical updating for the graphics, not for the community, looses its purpose.

If you could say the same about a piece of content, I'd be worried.

It's a very conveinent argument for saving a lot of uneccessary work as the new skill probably requires more and more graphical developers. Updating content is a lot less rewarding to the community as a whole, because the game engien will lnto be updated (look at combat). Graphics are therefor much of a lost cause, as the basics remain firmly founded in 2001. There's nothing Jagex can do about that, and graphical updating for the graphics, not for the community, looses its purpose.

If you could say the same about a piece of content, I'd be worried.

And thanks to their lack of backbone, you're going to see the weird combination of shiny rune weapons together with dull looking rune T-shirts and pants, while Dharok's going to be the oddball among the brothers. Like my friend who used to play RuneScape said, the developers sometimes listen just a bit TOO MUCH to the players, as such blurring the direction to which updates should be heading. The moderators don't even have the backbone to tell a player off for spaming in the forums, except locking the thread with a smile.

And quoting someone who posted earlier, RuneScape's got to be the only MMO where players expect the developers to tailor to their every needs The only redeeming factor is the freedom to choose what you want to be instead of using a class system. If another MMO developer can see this huge selling point and create a ripoff version, RuneScape won't be enjoying the share of the gaming market that they have now.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

And thanks to their lack of backbone, you're going to see the weird combination of shiny rune weapons together with dull looking rune T-shirts and pants, while Dharok's going to be the oddball among the brothers. Like my friend who used to play RuneScape said, the developers sometimes listen just a bit TOO MUCH to the players, as such blurring the direction to which updates should be heading. The moderators don't even have the backbone to tell a player off for spaming in the forums, except locking the thread with a smile.

And quoting someone who posted earlier, RuneScape's got to be the only MMO where players expect the developers to tailor to their every needs The only redeeming factor is the freedom to choose what you want to be instead of using a class system. If another MMO developer can see this huge selling point and create a ripoff version, RuneScape won't be enjoying the share of the gaming market that they have now.

I agree their appeasing public image is a disaster waiting to happen, however the matter of graphics should be determined by the players. That is the strength of runescape, as you identify it. Where gameplay is concerned, I have yet to see a compromise. That is why I've asked already for an example where content has been a Jagex cave-in to the players, rather than Jagex realizing they've made a mistake in the nature of some content, then to edit it. here, their public image has allowed them to circumvent the fact that they've made mistakes, they're "just listening to you guys"

If Jagex caved, why is the old wilderness not back? Why are the castle wars rewards still useless? Why is Nomad exceedingly hard? Why do the requirements for the coveted quest cape continue to rise, even with mass complaints? Why did mint cakes become 'nerfed'? Jagex are holding the line, that's why. They're using the "we're listening to you" as an excuse to correct mistakes. Mistakes such as making the staff of light so rare it did not have Jagex' intended effect of making slayer with magic more popular, because they misgaged how many of the 93+ slayers have fire capes. Making such an obvious mistake anyone within the high level community would foresee is something their public image does not allow them to admit.

It really is telling that extreme potions were allowed in pvp, and that jagex failed to realize that high level slayers are the demographic of higher level players who do not have fire capes, in the largest part. They always say "it takes time with elite content, because we have to get it just right". Maybe they should take more time, and talk to the high level community, so they actually got it right the first time around?

however the matter of graphics should be determined by the players.

Nope, not even this. That's like saying that they need to go through the players before revamping RS Classic to RS2. Here's the irony: Majority of the players like the graphical change. But the minority can voice their opinion, and Jagex would not ignore them. So you have this great situation where Jagex is unwilling to update more armour and weapon to synchronise all the graphics, but at the same time they can't undo the updated graphics. Every small step they take is painstakingly long, and without a strong will they would be like where they are right now, in the middle of nowhere.

I knew it was a disaster when they decided to update the weapon graphics in small packages. Every single step brings in X amount of rants along with the inertia to continue the update. If they had updated every single item from armours to weapons from level 1 to level 99, and "BAM!" bring everything into the game, they would still see that X amount of rant, but at least it would have 'total revamp' feel instead of a small change that'll piss a group of people off.

If Jagex caved, why is the old wilderness not back?

This has a major impact on their business, you're asking them to wreck their cash cow.

Why are the castle wars rewards still useless?

Hohoho, I believe one of the Q&A mentioned something about updating Castle Wars this year, if my memory isn't failing me.

Why is Nomad exceedingly hard?

You didn't worry about a nerf? I did.

And by the way, they didn't misgage the number of 93+ players with Fire Capes, because they have access to this information. (The story goes back to a time when someone posted on the RSOF about how his abssal whip has been glitched and lost, and a J Mod came in to tell him where exactly was the whip in his bank.) They thought that going beyond the "Level X unlocks Content Y" format would be a refreshing idea, and it was. I was going 'WOW..." when I saw the update, and now it's "Oh...".

Up until now, there hasn't been anything worth compromising for, but if a new agility dungeon involving real time evasive/agility skills (much like evading the AOE attacks of Corporeal beast) appears tomorrow, and is linked to high level non-tradeable arnour, I assure you that someone with 99 smith and and similar reflex/internet issues would be asking for a 'compromise'.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Up until now, there hasn't been anything worth compromising for, but if a new agility dungeon involving real time evasive/agility skills (much like evading the AOE attacks of Corporeal beast) appears tomorrow, and is linked to high level non-tradeable arnour, I assure you that someone with 99 smith and and similar reflex/internet issues would be asking for a 'compromise'.

Exactly. Jagex can't release anything high leveled, because chances are, SOMEONE is going to complain about how they actually have to WORK to get it, and they will change it. High level content requires HIGH LEVEL SKILLS AND ITEMS to be able to use! And I'll bet the people who demanded a compromise wanted it so they can kill the wyrms just to get SoL's to sell, only now, due to the compromise, they are most likely going to crash. Good job Jagex.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Exactly. Jagex can't release anything high leveled, because chances are, SOMEONE is going to complain about how they actually have to WORK to get it, and they will change it. High level content requires HIGH LEVEL SKILLS AND ITEMS to be able to use! And I'll bet the people who demanded a compromise wanted it so they can kill the wyrms just to get SoL's to sell, only now, due to the compromise, they are most likely going to crash. Good job Jagex.

I would love an agility dungeon like ravian's example. :P

Kinda sad how it wont ever happen. :unsure:

however the matter of graphics should be determined by the players.

Nope, not even this. That's like saying that they need to go through the players before revamping RS Classic to RS2. Here's the irony: Majority of the players like the graphical change. But the minority can voice their opinion, and Jagex would not ignore them. So you have this great situation where Jagex is unwilling to update more armour and weapon to synchronise all the graphics, but at the same time they can't undo the updated graphics. Every small step they take is painstakingly long, and without a strong will they would be like where they are right now, in the middle of nowhere.

I knew it was a disaster when they decided to update the weapon graphics in small packages. Every single step brings in X amount of rants along with the inertia to continue the update. If they had updated every single item from armours to weapons from level 1 to level 99, and "BAM!" bring everything into the game, they would still see that X amount of rant, but at least it would have 'total revamp' feel instead of a small change that'll piss a group of people off.

If Jagex caved, why is the old wilderness not back?

This has a major impact on their business, you're asking them to wreck their cash cow.

Why are the castle wars rewards still useless?

Hohoho, I believe one of the Q&A mentioned something about updating Castle Wars this year, if my memory isn't failing me.

Why is Nomad exceedingly hard?

You didn't worry about a nerf? I did.

And by the way, they didn't misgage the number of 93+ players with Fire Capes, because they have access to this information. (The story goes back to a time when someone posted on the RSOF about how his abssal whip has been glitched and lost, and a J Mod came in to tell him where exactly was the whip in his bank.) They thought that going beyond the "Level X unlocks Content Y" format would be a refreshing idea, and it was. I was going 'WOW..." when I saw the update, and now it's "Oh...".

The days of RS2, RS HD and RS 4.32b patch 4 are over. Graphically, the game cannot progress because of inherent limitations in the content of the engine: your sword is still identical when it hits and when it doesn't, there's no difference in defensive maneuver with a block and with a missed blow. There can never be these differences, as the game mechanic of runescape does not allow it.

Therefore, after RS2, and After RS Hd, graphics are something that SHOULD be updated piece by piece as the content is finished. Why wait with releasing made content, just to release it in "batches"? What impact does a weapon animation have on the game mechanic? nothing. Nada, zip, zilch, zero, null and void. Therefore, it simply doesn't matter what animation is present, as long as those playing the game feel it's the best animation in the game, so far.

As Jagex have said they would, graphics will be released and updated with new content. Every new piece of content develops the previous expanse of runescape. In such a way, every new project develops the game, and doesn't become "just another worthless quest" because it challenges the graphics team in new ways, rather than producing sub-standard content then to update it all. It just makes sense.

gaining player feedback for every single animation leads to better animations in the future. Do you think Jagex really care about all the small rants? Hardly, they know they are the world's biggest free MMO. They know how many unique users they have every day, they know how few people are the ranters on the forums.

Castle wars has been on the to-do list of jagex for over 2 yeras. They're getting it right, rather than letting themselves being pushed around by players. An update is in order, but JAgex is doing it on their terms. They're improving a game with a lot of potential, they're not just beefing up the rewards like players have nagged them to do.

I was not scared of a nomad nerf, because there's no way they'd make such a hard boss without KNOWING he would be so hard. They meant it that way, they wanted it that way. It was a step in the direction we've seen since the first piece of elite content was released last year, they just moved too quickly with the fire cape requirement.

you bring up an old piece of information to show Jagex know everything. In the latest Q&A Jagex said that one of the difficulties of adding more statistics to the Adventurer's log is that they simply haven't been recording the numbers. That means they don't really know how many people have tried and failed jad, they don't really know how many people have capes, or have had capes, have lost them etc.

Another factor, just not number of capes, is how significant Jagex assumed the increase of slayers would be. Most significantly amongst those who have level 93+ slayer, a lot of them have maxed out their combat skills. How many tasks would they stand without getting to the new monsters before doing something "more worthwhile" for developing their characters? Jagex may also have over-estimated how many of those with 99 slayer would want to fight the ice wyrms. Sypply was not something they could accurately predict, they wanted more of it.

Similarly, Jungle wyrms were added to Kuradal's task selection because Jagex realized they would be unnaturally expensive as all 93+ slayers would use Kuradal for tasks. Why should a lower slayer creature have a more valuable drop than the desert wyrm? it shouldn't so they changed it. This is also something they should have foreseen for the same reason as the availability of the staff of light due to ice wyrms requring a cape.

So people will ask for a compromise because Jagex staff won't admit to their shallow understanding of how their players play the game. heck, they even want half of our time to be occupied with quests, half with other activities. How many skillers, pkers, merchants and others would that annoy? Because of their public image they're not giving the real reason why they changed it: economy.

Jagex have a game plan for the future of runescape, and the future of elite content. They didn't change this plan, scrap projects in the making and so on so they would not integrate other skills with high levels. They're sticking to the plan, but this time around they simply got the numbers wrong. There's no concern for the future.

I think it's a real shame they had to go and make this compromise....

I also find it funny that people on the RSOF are blaming Pro-Cape players for being greedy. Either I missed something this last week, or that's exactly what people who wanted the requirement removed were as well. They just wanted in on the Cash drops, and now just point fingures at the Pro-Capers saying greed. [cabbage] hypocrites.....

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

+8 damage (assuming you are using a fire spell) is a good enough incentive to get the Fire Cape to be honest. It makes killing the wyrms faster - which in turn speeds up your xp and the chance to get good drops.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

At the risk of shameless self promotion, I really disagree with this update (like I did in my times article! ;) ).

While I have more than the sufficient slayer level, I do NOT have the Fire Cape. The reason is simple; by the time I really got into combat and became strong enough to beat Jad, the Fire Cape was no longer so much stronger than everything else that it warranted the effort.

For now, I'm still working on other skills, but I have every intention of heading back when time comes for me to start slaying again. And I won't be able to kill Jad easily, because I'm an awful clicker, but in time I will, and for that I'll be happy.

Since skills are so obviously purchasable, it is important for Jagex to lean heavily upon skills which CANNOT be purchased and rather must be earned, and minigames which are enjoyed by many to be the new barriers to entry for exclusive content.

I understand the business rationale behind their decision, but ultimately it will not help Jagex.

stormveritas.png

It's nice how people voice their opinions AFTER the compromise is proposed. It's all very well saying this stuff now but how many of you voiced your opinions on RSOF? ( I know it's a horrible place to go ). You never know, with enough people it could've swayed Jagex, although I very much doubt it..

asrhasrh.jpg

It's nice how people voice their opinions AFTER the compromise is proposed. It's all very well saying this stuff now but how many of you voiced your opinions on RSOF? ( I know it's a horrible place to go ). You never know, with enough people it could've swayed Jagex, although I very much doubt it..

I don't comb through RSOF because the content there is, on average, horrendous. It is also terribly disorganized, and I don't want to spend my days following the activity of the J-Mods in hopes of them asking for player input.

On top of that, there is a sea of stupid that washes in with every such solicitation; even the most carefully articulated response is bound to get washed away in the flotsam of the foolish.

stormveritas.png

At the risk of shameless self promotion, I really disagree with this update (like I did in my times article! ;) ).

continuing the trend, this is my take on why Jagex did what they did. That's the exciting bit, and so that's the commentary I submited to the tip.it times, which I found surprisingly unpublished, as this issue contains only a single article:

Ice strykerwyrms and the removal of the Fire cape requirement

With the introduction of the Elite Ardougne Achievements diary, Jagex allowed for development in new and exciting directions; for the very first content was released that would be playable only to the very masters of the game, to those relentlessly patient few who have meticulously trained most skills to exceptional levels. Those who were elite in the eyes of Jagex. The reception on the Runescape official forums, and right here in the tip.it community were astoundingly, and refreshingly positive. Even though only a fraction of the community could enjoy the content, the community as a whole saluted Jagex for reassuringly and resoundingly proclaiming Runescape is the Jagex future. How could we believe that Runescape was to be the main focus of a company if they were designing a new, large game?

Companies all have public faces, and spokesmen who project an image of the company onto the community, an impenetrable public relations façade users are not meant to see beyond. Yes they claimed Runescape would live for ever, but with a new game in the makings, did we believe them? Should we have believed them before they showed, through affirmative action in releasing elite content, that Runescapes future was secured? With 2010 being the year of awesome we were right to be sceptical through the end of 2009, as Jagex have continued projecting a rosy-red Public image improbable if not impossibly the truth. That, however, is an analysis worthy of an article to itself. Runescape is to flourish in the future, with challenges to all, also the elite few.

This new and exciting direction for Runescape, launched in 2009 has shown the very best of the new Jagex under new leadership; skills have received very much needed high-level updates, most significant of which is arguably the high level herblore update. How Jagex released this content, and tellingly how they removed the use of extreme potions from pvp worlds and bounty hunter is vital in understanding the ideology in Cambridge.

The brilliance of Jagex at its finest was shown in the update, and dealing with it. In rendering the potions created at higher levels untradeable, lower level content was not made easier overnight, other than for those who have invested millions of coins, or long hours to developing their herblore levels: The lessons from the smithing skill were learned. Looking back on my first Runescape memories from 2003, Jagex were taken aback with the success of its game. Enthusiastic posts with new records of players online simultaneously spurred new game servers; Jagex was simply unprepared for success, and the longevity of the game was not of primary concern. What if smithing was only useful to a handful of players, the rest relying on a few suppliers for their armour and weapon needs? No problem, others will be herblorists supplying the smiths and others with the potions they require. Niche players was the game demographic, nobody was expected to be a do it yourself player. However, Runescape is now a happy ten-yearold moving quickly towards its arduous and rebellious teens. How will Jagex, as sole parent, cope? As any other tween, Runescape has to reinvent itself. It has needed that for quite some time, where the niche player has completed her goals. What lies beyond the horizon? Little, level 99 is the maximum either way.

The ingenious solution of the herblore update in 2009, where everyone is forced to do it themselves, is a showcase and industry necessity for MMORPGs to keep up with their clientele. Looking at the rise in price of herblore-related items, and the vitalization of a stagnating Runescape economy, the update was a resounding success from day 1. However, requiring the do it yourself aspect to stand any chance in PvP situations was too tall an order. It would alienate almost all those who relish in PvP situations from participating in their favourite gameplay within runescape. Here the crucial question is: How could Jagex release a game-changing piece of content with such a fatal flaw?

This question leads to a critical observation in understanding all elite content being released in Runescape: developing elite content is something completely new to the Jagex staff. They need experience in making this content, and they have to experiment to get it right. Releasing such inherently flawed content as the extreme potions is a guarantee that the learning curve at Jagex HQ is steep.

This learning curve made another two-fold jump with the release of Ice Strykerwyrms and their Fire cape requirement. We players learn the attitudes of Jagex through game updates and actions, rather than the fine words of the year of awesome. Similarly, the lessons Jagex learn are obviously important, also to discuss and interpret. But how do we analyse the future of the game and what Jagex true plan and aim for the game are? This is where the relentless and important community discussion has its place. Why did Jagex introduce the fire cape requirement in the first place? We cannot know, yet we can examine the likely possibilities.

If Jagex showed a wish to integrate high levelled requirements from many skills and areas into elite content, this content is truly elite. It is not a question merely of hours played, skills grinded to astounding degrees, the content is for elite players, those proficient within all areas of the game. In the words of the Ugthanki kebab, this option looks scrummy! A new dimension would be added to the game. Currently almost all the highscores show an excessive amount of time required in attaining top rankings, multiple times the experience required for any in-game benefits, thousands of pointless hours at mini games with minimal reward, the sole exception here seems to be duelling tournaments. This is maybe the only area where skill currently determines who tops the highscores.

With only one area of prowess to officially determine those with clicking skills, deep understanding of strategy in PvP situations, was not slayer a perfect candidate for releasing content requiring more prowess, rather than large amounts of free time and admirable persistency? This is where a second interpretation of why Jagex chose to change the requirement comes in, one, in the words of the Kebab, that tasted a bit dodgy. You feel a bit ill. This regards a common attitude held by the cynical that Jagex are populist, and have simply caved in to the demands of a small minority of ranters on the official forums. This should indeed worry us if it were the case. However, it is highly unlikely that it is.

How can we know that Jagex have not simply caved in to the ranters? If they caved in once, without other motives, the happy spelunking in a gigantic cave system would be ruined. Once the first cave falls, no other cave is safe, and staying with this metaphor, how do we know that Jagex has secured its mine of a game, developed over a decade, avoiding divine intervention as the one we players experience in Blood runs deep? We know because they have not caved before, even though the pressure has been immense, and the economy of Jagex has been at stake, which was the case with the anti-Real World Trading campaign. Believing Jagex have caved in is a destructive attitude leading to further ranting on the official forums. Jagex have become professional over time, we still remember the development of their now superficial public relations image which is invariably in touch with the harsh reality of the business world.

As Jagex did not fold their hand to the ranters, why did remove the fire cape requirement for ice strykerwyrms? The official position and the cause of most of the rants on the official Runescape forums, have led a rationale of mobility and accessibility. The fight caves are almost impossible to the hearing impaired, to those with motion disabilities. Further, to those with restrictive internet connections, prayer switching has always been hard, it has been rendered almost impossible by the 0.6 second delay (one in game time unit) Jagex implemented to avoid so-called prayer flashing as an effective money saver. Does Jagex feel this balancing fix hits the disabled and internet impaired unnecessarily hard? That would be jaw-droppingly surprising if it were true. Jagex must have known about these issues for a substantial period of time, again, why would they release flawed content they knew they wished to change? A professional company wouldnt, so Jagex didnt. No, there must have been other factors in play. Another vital question to ask is: why have the disability and accessibility challenges of Runescape not been explored on the official Runescape forums previously? Why is this new with the Ice Strykerwyrm update? Unsurprisingly, it is a question of economy.

Money makes the world go around, well, coins makes Gielinor recognizable and predictable. As politics ran run into an issue, economics has run into the strykerwyrm update and the fire cape requirement. Just as high levelled rune crafters complained at the recent multiple rune update devaluing their quite literally precious money-making abilities, high level slayers are not too concerned about the direction Runescape is headed, rather they are concerned about money. Everyone the Author has asked about a more integrating direction of high-level Runescape has quickly warmed to the idea and embraced it. This direction really does look Scrummy! to high levelled players, as it ensures further enjoyment in their spare time of Runescape without growing tired of a game with no further challenges and goals.

Naturally, those striving towards higher slayer levels, who believe themselves unable to attain the coveted fire cape, have wished for the requirement to be changed. Accessibility and mobility reasons given have largely been proxy-arguments for the reality of the matter: Although unable to get the fire cape, we want a piece of the light staff profit. What a preposterous and discerning claim! Some of you might exclaim contemptuously, however the argument is strongly embedded in reality.

The telling reasons for the economic motifs in the discussion require a historic perspective, as all contextual analysis does. In the release of the fire cape itself, there were next to no complaints about the high difficulty of the mini game. There was an overall understanding that only a certain few deserved the fire cape, it should remain exclusive, Runescape had taken a turn away from repetitive boredom as the only way of showing off fancy equipment. new frontiers were ready for the taking, but Jagex didnt follow this type of equipment up. Further underscoring the economic motif is the lack of rants at the release of the much forgotten Rogues Den mini game. Here clicking ability reached new heights as a requirement for the illusively rare rewards. The release of Sorceress Garden warranted little complaint and the recent release of Nomads Requiem was hardly debated either, even though this was the ultimate integration of boss fighting and questing on the highest level. Why was there no uproar similar to the ice-wyrm fire cape revolt? There was no money involved.

As is often the case (economics and understatement go hand in hand), whenever someone is posed to loose out on profit, someone else is gaining. The opposing argument has largely been that a fire cape requirement fosters much needed exclusivity in the high-end of slayer. This has also been a front for own economic interests to a large degree; however this is where the interesting position of Jagex re-enters the now more detailed picture.

What is Jagex economic motif for removing the fire cape requirement? The light staff cannot serve its mage-friendly task of stabilizing parts of the combat triangle unless it is accessible. It cannot be accessible unless its exclusivity does not put it in the hand of merchants, just as the blessed spirit shields with sigils remain too exclusive to benefit the masses, especially in pvp combat. The effects in pvp of the much needed damage-reducing qualities of the spirit shields quickly balance over-hitting Armadyl Godswords and Dragon Claw specials. Jagex learns from its past mistakes, and so the staff of light is to be accessible to many, it is not to be another item ready for manipulation by merchanting clans. The limitation of the fire cape amongst those with 93 slayer or more was something Jagex did not foresee in strangling the already bottle-necked supply of light staves.

Without a clear, honest public relations team at Jagex HQ, Jagex proxy-arguments will continue to shock the Runescape community, as their impact seem profoundly negative in comparison to the small calculation mistakes Jagex occasionally need to correct. Why honesty is sacrificed for image is something that will confront Andrew, Paul, Mod MMG in the future. The danger of projecting an image, is that others perceive you by that image and most often the real thing is less xenophobic to a knowledgeable community as the Runescape community clearly is in affairs regarding Gielinor.

In removing the fire-cape requirement, Jagex did not cave in to rants of a small minority on the forums. Initially releasing the requirement is much more telling on Jagex behalf, and I can only hope further skill, quest and clicking skill activities are the future of elite content within the game. So should you.

So that's what happened to the Berlin wall.................... :blink:

I have to say that there were probably very few 93+ slayers who did not have a firecape though. Maybe there weren't but it seems unlikely.

Of the 30 93+ slayers I have talked this over with, only about half have fire-capes.

Berlin wall? Pshh, that wall got torn down. This is more like the wall dividing Cyprus, that is alive and kicking. On a serious note though: serious analysis requires thorough examination and reasoned argumentation :P

I have to say that there were probably very few 93+ slayers who did not have a firecape though. Maybe there weren't but it seems unlikely.

Of the 30 93+ slayers I have talked this over with, only about half have fire-capes.

Berlin wall? Pshh, that wall got torn down. This is more like the wall dividing Cyprus, that is alive and kicking. On a serious note though: serious analysis requires thorough examination and reasoned argumentation :P

I'll be 93 Slayer eventually, but will never have Firecape due to my degenerative issues with the joints in my hands. Nice to know when I get that level, I'll be able to do them.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I'll be 93 Slayer eventually, but will never have Firecape due to my degenerative issues with the joints in my hands. Nice to know when I get that level, I'll be able to do them.

Ya'll are starting to scare me about how hard Jad will be when I give it a go someday. I also have a degenerative issue with the joints in my hands -- it's called old age. I'm a horrible clicker -- regularly get my butt whipped anytime I try anything like pvp. But I've always assumed that with a little patience I'd be able to put up the right prayer at the right time. Is it really impossible for any but the most agile?

punitivedsig.png