Fire cape compromise. New post by Mod Chris L.

Obtaurian

I don't understand why the same people aren't complaining about dying to the higher level slayer monsters when they disconnect. Same concept, really. You don't even need to have the greatest connection in the world to beat Jad, and chances are if your connection is that serious of a problem during the Fight Caves then you'll have died a couple times from disconnects (at least before they made the game SafeScape). Heaven forbid that a monster at level 93 slayer might be hard to kill (in this case, you must only defeat one hard monster to kill them easily for eternity).

There are 37,412 people with a high enough Slayer level to kill Ice Strykewyrms. I cannot find anything wrong with Jagex wanting to cut down that number.

As for a compromise, these monsters NEED to remain killable only on task. I guess I would support accepting a firemaking skillcape as a substitute, seeing as it is a boring, if quick, alternative. Other than that, if you can kill them on task with a bought ability, damage dealt without a firecape should be hugely cut down - maybe killing them half as fast as those with a fire cape. That way you can still fight them for your precious staves but it will not be efficient.

2496 Completionist

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl, it is once again people who are complaining about what they've done and about other people having it easier than them. The whole Nomad thing all over again. People couldn't form a complaint against the nerfing of Nomad other than they had to kill the harder Nomad so no one should have him easier.

Well... same thing. It's people with the Cape complaining because they don't want other people doing something that only they could do.

Wish people would just worry about themselves.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Fire cape addition:

Between 5 to 20 damage extra on Strykewyrms (Ice), I SUGGEST 20. Why? Because Strykewyrms seems to be a monster they are trying to limit players killing it, so why not give a advantage of +20 damage? It defintly will make players get the cape.

Those who don't get the cape - won't have that benefit?

Fire cape addition:

Between 5 to 20 damage extra on Strykewyrms (Ice), I SUGGEST 20. Why? Because Strykewyrms seems to be a monster they are trying to limit players killing it, so why not give a advantage of +20 damage? It defintly will make players get the cape.

Those who don't get the cape - won't have that benefit?

So in order to limit the players killing it, make the majoirty of players kill it really easily so that other people will get the incentive to kill it really easily? All you idea does it make them get killed faster, more tasks, more quickly killed, etc etc.

Mod Chris, Mod Chris.....I love you to death.....

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Explanation for why you are saying this?

For not implementing the 'compromise' that we have now as the original, one and only update. <_<

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Maybe if I whine long enough I can get the level 93 requirement nerfed too <_< After all I have to work and go to school and can't put in the time to get 93 slay....

I guess one positive (for most people) is that Staff of Light will become affordable. It'll be the new Dark Bow.

I was expecting Fire Cape owners to get more benefits though. Something along the lines of "burn damage" for people without Fire Capes so they would have to bank more. It's not extreme but it would make Fire Capes worth attaining for the task.

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

So in order to limit the players killing it, make the majoirty of players kill it really easily so that other people will get the incentive to kill it really easily? All you idea does it make them get killed faster, more tasks, more quickly killed, etc etc.

My main point was that players would need the cape for them (so a reason to get the cape). If they make a compromise it will only dig Fire cape more down the hole. But that's true that they kill faster, but don't you have to have them as task to be able to kill them?

Explanation for why you are saying this?

For not implementing the 'compromise' that we have now as the original, one and only update. <_<

So you are happy that the compromise we're getting isn't how it was released originally. So you're thanking him for all the turmoil caused by the original update and the subsequent compromise?

I have a degree in English and I can't even follow what you're saying exactly.

Sir, I personally would have made it that you needed the cape to get the excessive damage hits with fire spells on them, but that's just me.

Maybe if I whine long enough I can get the level 93 requirement nerfed too <_< After all I have to work and go to school and can't put in the time to get 93 slay....

I guess one positive (for most people) is that Staff of Light will become affordable. It'll be the new Dark Bow.

I was expecting Fire Cape owners to get more benefits though. Something along the lines of "burn damage" for people without Fire Capes so they would have to bank more. It's not extreme but it would make Fire Capes worth attaining for the task.

Making a requirement to kill something you need 93 slayer for, and having that requirement unrelated to the skill at all is unreasonable imo.

yes.png

Making a requirement to kill something you need 93 slayer for, and having that requirement unrelated to the skill at all is unreasonable imo.

I agree. Giving it an addtional benefit is fine, but as an absolute requirement isn't to my liking, but that's just me.

They don't complain about dying when they disconect becuase they *know* the problem is at their end of the connection. And they go around rs in welfare gear, never buy any expensive armor knowing that sooner, rather than latter, they are going to lose it, so why bother. Things in RS can be completed in rune plate and black d'hide, you just have to take your limitations in mind.

Some of you really, really have a bad imagination as to how the other half lives. Just because we don't have great computers or great internet, that means we don't deserve thefun we can find to have in this game?

And I know that librarys around my region have limits on what you can do on library computers. Games would be on those lists of no no. Computers are for *serious usage*. I mean, if people aren't waiting in line to use a computer, maybe you could get away with it... but we have a cue, and you have a time limit. There is often not enough computers for everyone who wants to use them, esspecially durring the times students might be able to use them. Not only that, you have live within the city, and get a card, so if you live out in the county (like my sister's boyfriend) you have to pay a fee to get a card, even if you go to the city school. So i'm not sure what world you live in where free, highspeed internet access with no fetters is located at ever street corner, but the rest of us realize that this is not as viable of a solution as you would like to put it forward to be. More than that, the computers at the library are business grade computers, and have graphics cards that hardly run anything.

I wasn't happy with the requirement in the first place, but I'm also not happy that jagex had to change it. This is a slippery slope. But I think that a lot of you are just calling anyone who brings of up any point of view you don't argree with as whinnners, and I don't think that was fair. There are a lot of valid reasons to be unhappy with this update, there are a lot of valid reasons to be unhappy with how it is being changed, but there is a very nasty strain of myopicness, small mindedness, selfishness and elitism that is flowing from some of you that is just horribly, horribly toxic to everyone.

And if you can't imagin having a computer/ internet that bad as is being discribed, you need to get your imagination fixed (or come over here to the real world).

I don't understand why the same people aren't complaining about dying to the higher level slayer monsters when they disconnect. Same concept, really. You don't even need to have the greatest connection in the world to beat Jad, and chances are if your connection is that serious of a problem during the Fight Caves then you'll have died a couple times from disconnects (at least before they made the game SafeScape). Heaven forbid that a monster at level 93 slayer might be hard to kill (in this case, you must only defeat one hard monster to kill them easily for eternity).

There are 37,412 people with a high enough Slayer level to kill Ice Strykewyrms. I cannot find anything wrong with Jagex wanting to cut down that number.

As for a compromise, these monsters NEED to remain killable only on task. I guess I would support accepting a firemaking skillcape as a substitute, seeing as it is a boring, if quick, alternative. Other than that, if you can kill them on task with a bought ability, damage dealt without a firecape should be hugely cut down - maybe killing them half as fast as those with a fire cape. That way you can still fight them for your precious staves but it will not be efficient.

Your wrong. It's only 17k people. Of those that still play, probably 12k or so.

Artemis, actually if it was true selfishness, as in worrying about yourself and no one else, then there wouldn't be an issue because you wouldn't care if someone else could or couldn't kill them. :thumbup:

Artemis, actually if it was true selfishness, as in worrying about yourself and no one else, then there wouldn't be an issue because you wouldn't care if someone else could or couldn't kill them. :thumbup:

Well, they feel that other peoples ability to do things deminishes their ablity to do things. So maybe it's just down right greed (and the need to feel leet! and lord things over the rest of us plebians)

Still waiting to see how many points you have to spend to unlock ice wyrms before commenting on the "update".

100 pts: unbalanced ( 250k gpwise in slayer pts)

500-1000 pts: balanced (gpwise 1,25mil to 2,5 mil in slayer pts to unlock)

2,5k-5k pts: broken. (gpwise 6,25mil to 12,5 mil in slayer pts to unlock)

I'm personally hoping for 1K pts.

Anything under 300 pts would be a slap in the face to fire cape holders.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

You honestly fail if you can't get a fire cape.

This.

support

Yeah, because everyone that doesn't enjoy challenges that include poorly designed T&E difficulty and consist of 1.5 hours of repeative gameplay, that still reguires you to pay attention to what you're doing, fails am I rite!?

Most people who don't have a fire cape simply don't want to go through all that [cabbage].

Also I think that it's stupid that the ability to kill the strongest slayer monster is just another reward for the fight caves. A great cape and a nice ammount of tokkul should be a good enough reward for that mini game, considering that many other mini games have far worse rewards.

Maybe next they'll introduce dragon smithing for those who enjoy the rat pitts minigame. (no one)

It has been suggested many times by many players that those who do not have fast internet connections are more than able to relocate to an internet café or a library.

There are no Internet café's within 40 miles of where I live.

The nearest public library with Internet access is 25 miles. I am uncertain of their policy of gaming on the taxpayer dollar, but I wouldn't ask anyway. That sort of access is for educational purposes, not gaming. Not to mention whether they have Java installed or their systems have appropriate video cards for gaming.

My actual hometown library is a mile away, but it's open 3 days a week for 2 hours each day. It's staffed by volunteers and serviced by a traveling bookmobile.

I'm sure it's flipping great that you have high-speed connection opportunities falling out your [wagon], but it's just not that way everywhere. Not everyone lives in an urban setting. Just because you can walk to an internet café from your house or use a friends connection on the way home from school... doesn't mean everyone else has that sort of opportunity.

The people who keep making those relocation suggestions are blithely oblivious to the realities of life in rural settings.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I just would like to point out the lag can be caused by things other then your internet connection. My internet connection is solid high speed but my pc is about 3-4 years old and was never top of the line. It can run HD fairly well and i play with HD on (yes i could play with SD and turn everything down to try JAD) but HD seems to make rs just a little bit slower( i cant flick pray off and on successfully) now add in my anti virus running some script and i get 2-3 seconds of RS bogging down(just like lag). Now for most things this isnt a big deal and im not any good at the fight caves and i enjoy the fact the 99% of runescape is a "grind fest" I have no "skill" and like that Runescape requires no "skill" you want do things that require skills go play a sport , run in traffic , climb the side of a building, or whatever requires real skill. Im glad they made this change although i didnt care if i couldnt kill the ICEwyrms i dont kill most boss monsters anyway. If i wanted to play games where there was alots of quick movements required and lazer shart focus and super up-to-date PC with lighting fast speed then i would play FPS all the time but im not into those kinds of games anymore.....

It has been suggested many times by many players that those who do not have fast internet connections are more than able to relocate to an internet café or a library.

There are no Internet cafe's within 40 miles of where I live.

The nearest public library is 25 miles. I am uncertain of their policy of gaming on the taxpayer dollar, but I wouldn't ask anyway. That sort of access is for educational purposes, not gaming.

Not everyone lives in an urban setting.

Just because you can walk to an internet café from your house or use a friends connection on the way home from school... doesn't mean everyone else has that sort of opportunity.

The people who keep making those relocation suggestions are blithely oblivious to the realities of life in rural settings.

RS has the be the ONLY mmo where the gamers expect the developers to tailor their game around their technical limitations. Jesus [bleep]ing Christ. People with bad connections, people with neurological disorders, people whose age impacts their reflexes... It's all lame excuses that only really apply to a negligible amount of level 93 slayers.

td2sig.jpg

I wasn't happy with the requirement in the first place, but I'm also not happy that jagex had to change it. This is a slippery slope. But I think that a lot of you are just calling anyone who brings of up any point of view you don't argree with as whinnners

That's my issue as well. Jagex has been reversing all its decisions as of late in the face of--now don't take offense--whining from the forums. The people who are happy with updates don't go on the boards en masse and tell them how great it is, so they only see the negative. I don't have 93 slay yet, but I am working towards it and I did go and get a fire cape for this reason. So yes, I am biased, just as people who don't have fast computers/connections are biased towards that end.

Also, people have to face the fact that as gaming technology moves forward, they have to move forward as well. They can't expect Jagex to confine themselves technologically when other game companies set higher system requirements to produce better looking games. They can't. They will lose money. So future updates will have the same issue re: connectivity, lag, etc...and I don't know how Jagex will deal with this in the future.

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

From a personal level (and honestly that's all I care about) it has nothing to do with my internet connection.

My issue is one of reflexative ability. Now, I don't know if I've ever mentioned it to anyone, but I have moderateCharcot Marie Tooth Disease in my wrists and fingers. I can't do Fight Caves. I can't do Nomad. I can't do GWD. I have the timing, but for very short periods before my fingers get tired. I can pretty easily avoid the digging of the Wyrms, because I've done the lower end ones.

Now let someone tell me with a straight face tell me that I shouldn't be able to use them because I don't have the cape. Look, you have a Fire Cape and you have an advantage. Use it. Make it worthwhile. i won't be able to. Do you hear me crying over it? Hell no.

Oh, and if it's a "slap in the face to Fire Cape holders" you know what I say? Screw your Fire Cape. Screw your Fight Caves. When I get the level to kill them, I will and I won't for one second think about that stupid little animated cape. :evil:

And Dragon, you're right. It's a neglible amount of people. Makes you wonder what everyone is arguing about. No one is really arguing over points, we're just arguing.