Fire cape compromise. New post by Mod Chris L.

Obtaurian

I already written down my view on this matter in this rather long post.

In short.

I am really cabbage in doing the fight caves. I don't keep track any more on how many times I tried. I am close to 20. I am getting better at it each time. I have hope that one day I will succeed.

I do not mind the firecape requirement at all. I think it is a valid requirement that falls within the spirit of the game.

I am 99 slayer. It's not like I say this because I don't miss out on anything. But then again, I don't slay much any more.

I find these kind of requirements stimulating. While they also may be frustrating it generates the feeling of accomplishment once you finally did that thing that was impossible at one point. I had actually already started doing the fight caves before the strykewyrm update came out. I had already set myself the goal to get a firecape. Nothing will change that.

So, keep the firecape requirement.

But stop bashing people who can't do the fight caves. People who cannot do the fight caves aren't automatically complaining about the requirement. Have some respect.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have 93 slayer.

I don't have a fire cape.

When I get 93 slayer and the fire cape requirement does not change, I either suck it up and try until I got that wretched cape, or cancel Ice wyrm tasks. Simple as that.

However: I found the fightn caves not EASY. There's skill and a small portion of luck involved, as well as a steady internet connection.

I might suggest that if the fire cape requirement stays, for Jungle strykewyrms you should be in FULL lumberjack. This is also " easily" obtainable from a minigame, which only requires time, just like the caves.

Anyway, I have close to a full slayer level of time to either get the cape, or see what Jagex comes up with. Either suck it up and deal with it. There is no such thing as "fair" in life, let alone in a game.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

But stop bashing people who can't do the fight caves. People who cannot do the fight caves aren't automatically complaining about the requirement. Have some respect.

No one is. The guys who can't do it are bashing themselves in hope for a bit of pity and a compromise.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

For me the fire cape requirement is motivating. I have 93 slayer but no cape. I have checked out the caves a couple of times. Went to Jad during the Karamja achievement diary. But it might have been one of those things I'd never get done. Now I have an incentive to get the cape.

I don't boss hunt much and don't pk, so it will definitely be a big challenge for me.

kill_o_troll.png

kill_o_troll.png

However: I found the fightn caves not EASY. There's skill and a small portion of luck involved, as well as a steady internet connection.

I might suggest that if the fire cape requirement stays, for Jungle strykewyrms you should be in FULL lumberjack. This is also " easily" obtainable from a minigame, which only requires time, just like the caves.

YEAH

And add a service fee of 50 nail beast charms per strykewyrm assignment to boot.

:grin:

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I don't much like the idea of compromising on Ice Strykewyrm tasks. Like most fights in this game, you have to be prepared for what Jad could throw at you, and when. Most of the arguments I've seen about not making the Fire Cape a requirement revolve around either the difficulty of killing Jad or a poor Internet connection.

Tough to say it though, since I can see the other side of the argument plainly (for Gods' sake, I had pretty bad internet when I beat Jad), but I still hate the idea of compromising on this update. Borrowing the words from a post I had seen earlier, "either we have high level content or we don't."

If it goes through (and it looks likely it might), I hope whatever compromise presents itself makes the idea of getting a Fire cape infinitely more appealing.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Sad to see this happening. :sad:

The cape is one of the very few things in rs that actually require some skill not just hundreds of hours of mindless grinding....

They have to ruin a piece of content that most high levels enjoy because of the few whiners who post all over the rants forums?

I am 99 slayer, max combat with no fire cape and I'm not whining. If I am too noob for the cape, then I am, I accept the fact, it's my problem not Jagex's.

If it's anything less than being able to be assigned them with 99 Slayer I will be disappointed in JagEx. They finally gave Slayer some new high level content which has been long overdue and the flood gates open because it's too difficult for some people. At the end of the day this was supposed to be a high level update, for high level and skilled players yet some people seem to have got into the mindset that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. Not all content is for everyone, if you can't kill Jad then you can't kill Jad it isn't like Kuradal assigns Ice Strykewyrms if you don't have the Fire Cape. If you really want to be able to kill Ice Wyrms that bad then you'll find some way of getting the cape, don't make your problems JagEx's problem.

I really hope whatever compromise they make is of equal difficulty to getting the Fire Cape, but without the need of good internet connection just to get rid of that excuse for not fighting Jad. :pray:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

My guess is the disability and discrimination remarks are the main reason behind this.

Hard of hearing people were complaining saying it was close to impossible for anyone with hearing issues to complete it.

The dial up users and people with poor internet connection were also saying it was next to impossible.

This coupled with the numerous general complaints put Jagex is a bad position.

Personally I'm going to pick up a DFS and hold onto it just incase its one of the requirements (it was one of the more common ones on RSOF.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I bet that most of the people here who are defending the fire cape reguirement paid for someone to get a fire cape for them.

Bring your half-[wagon] assumptions to the RSOF.

Edit: Actually no, that's trying to degrade the community on the RSOF further. Just bring it somewhere else.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I bet that most of the people here who are defending the fire cape reguirement paid for someone to get a fire cape for them.

Edit: Actually no, that's trying to degrade the community on the RSOF further. Just bring it somewhere else.

The truth hurts, doesn't it?

TUBA are you really that stupid or are you just a troll?

The firecape requires skill and practice if you can't be bothered to learn both then thats your trouble.

Just because you feel the only way is to cheat doesn't mean everyone does.

Just stop posting junk before it gets ugly.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

No wonder I'm not feeling anything. But this is getting flamey, and you're the flame baiter with that "I bet this and that" statement. Like I said, if you don't have a better point than "I bet.....", then you shouldn't bother posting. Especially not in front of a guy with no fire cape yet, and excited about trying out Fight Caves (me).

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I would like to see Ampharaos's suggestion that fire cape wielders hit double on ice strykewyrms be implemented. This compromise better not be something that undermines getting a fire cape by just buying a deteriorating cape.

Soul Wars Cape beats Fire cape. 10 Prayer bonus> +4 Strength bonus+3 defence and +1 attack bonus. Defence is not so important at many slayer monsters, so the +3 defence is kinda unecessary there then. Piety/Turmoil/Berserker however is smart to use though at Slayer.

So honestly Fire cape should give between 5-20 more damage like Fericious ring against Ice Strykewyrms, and those who don't have Fire cape won't have that benefit. If Jagex introduces a replacement for Fire cape, it will be the biggest [cabbage] ever.

Yeah i agree with you here mate. I paid a friend(s) for 11-13 Fire capes.

I know many guys who post here and have actually done that. Some of them have actually posted in this thread too.

I won't name anyone because it would be rather rude, and it probably is against the forum rules here.

As for myself, I don't really care about the reguirement because I don't even play anymore and I already have 99 slayer.

You're free to believe whatever you want. I was exaggerating a bit by saying "most" but there are many who have done it.

I know many guys who post here and have actually done that. Some of them have actually posted in this thread too.

I won't name anyone because it would be rather rude, and it probably is against the forum rules here.

As for myself, I don't really care about the reguirement because I don't even play anymore and I already have 99 slayer.

You're free to believe whatever you want. I was exaggerating a bit by saying "most" but there are many who have done it.

And your point? Fire Cape should be removed? If someone wants to put your account at risk, that's their issue. It has nothing to do with the requirement itself.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Firstly, I am in favour of having to wear a Fire Cape to 'kill' Ice Strykewyrms - I'm 99 Slayer & have been for nearly 1 year now & I do not possess a Fire Cape, not through lack of ability as most people seem to be alluding to, rather a previous lack of desire. Not having a cape doesn't seem to have done me much harm over the years.

That changed with the introduction of Wyrms & I will now go out of my way to get one. In my opinion, the ability to access 'Elite' updates should require a high skill level, which 93 Slayer certainly is, the Cape requirement just enhances the difficulty level.

When I started on the road to 99 Slayer I was driven by the fact that at certain levels I would obtain the ability to receive a 'rare' or 'exclusive' drop, which would in time provide a nice boost for the Gp in my bank.

At the moment the scarcity of the SOL (a result of the requirements & more importantly inability to farm them) keep the prices high - this to me is is the ultimate reward for the time spent obtaining the requirements initially.

However, looking at the original post & Mod Emilee's 'intimation' that a compromise would be introduced got me thinking as to what this could be. Even though I current cannot access the Strykewyrms I certainly do not want the requriements to kill them to be watered down to such an extent that anyone with 93 Slayer can get them - this would drive the exclusivity of the drop down & in turn the financial rewards.

My compromise suggestion would be as follows:-

As we all know, the Fire Cape is given as a reward for completing the fight caves, which are 'run' by the TzHaar, who also drop the Obby items including the lower levels best friend, the Obby cape.

What if the ability to upgrade the Obby Cape to 'Obsidian Cape of Fire' by exchanging say 1 million Tokkul & wearing this cape will then allow you to fight Ice Strykewyrms. The Cape stats would be exactly the same as a standard Obby cape & therefore the existing Fire Cape is not diminished in any way - the 'Status' of wearing a Fire Cape is retained, in fact wearing the Cape when killing Strykewyrms is likely to lead to some 'noob' comments being levelled at you!!

The requirement to exchange for Tokkul would still involve the user actually spending some of their hard earned time killing TzHaar & my guess at Max Melee this would be around 12-13 Hours, which would still make the 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get to Jad more appealing.

Any thoughts?

the_lad_1.png

The problems that I have with the fight caves, and thus this requirement is that it requires a bad playing style:

You are required to play for a long time after each other.. While for the arbo it's bad, and people shouldn't stay attentioned to a screen for more than 30 mins straight.. Given that problem I'm finding myself in, as well as the fact that time is limited for those older players who also have lots other obligations it is impossible to beat the fight caves in 1 go: heck even jad alone takes too long for me to beat in 1 go..

That is also the main reason I chose slayer over boss hunting, slayer allows you to beat the "task" in small bits!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

And your point? Fire Cape should be removed? If someone wants to put your account at risk, that's their issue. It has nothing to do with the requirement itself.

My point is that I find it amusing how some guys, who didn't even get the fire cape themself, shout here and on RSOF how there shouldn't be any compromises to the fire cape reguirement.

Introducing: Deamonwyrms.

Reqs - 76 slayer, Prayer Cape (t)!

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

My point is that I find it amusing how some guys, who didn't even get the fire cape themself, shout here and on RSOF how there shouldn't be any compromises to the fire cape reguirement.

Why is it amusing? I haven't got a firecape, but I want a serious goal with serious rewards ahead of me. I don't want to compromise either. Jagex was going in the right direction here.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Oh come on! If someone can get 93 slayer, surely it cant be such a big deal to get the cape. Besides, it is the best cape there is. Why not get it anyways?

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Why is it amusing? I haven't got a firecape, but I want a serious goal with serious rewards ahead of me. I don't want to compromise either. Jagex was going in the right direction here.

I meant the guys that didn't get the cape themself. That's kinda like buying a maxed account because you're a wussy who couldn't grind his stats himself and then whining when they make some skills easier to train. (Yeah that's a bad example)

It's cool that they've added some new highlevel content lately and I hope that they'll continue to do so.