Fire cape compromise. New post by Mod Chris L.

Obtaurian

So that means I'll be able to hit 92 with fire surge on them... I like it.

And like Den said. I hope it will cost ALOT of points, and not just like 200 or something like that.

Chris just answered a question that if i figured it out right.

You'll be able to hit +9 alteast with fire spells when using fire cape, so max hit with fire surge will be 96...

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda on the fence here. While I like the compromise and truth be told, this would've been a good way to have it all along, I don't like the methods or the reasons as to why it came about.

Wish it had been like this from the start. Anyone tell me how many slayer points it cost?

Scarily enough I agree with Libs too :ohnoes:

I like the compromise but I think having to change it because people were whining is a bad thing. If they'd have done it from the start it would have been decent - but the fact they changed it because people whined does my head in.

I don't think it degrades the quality of the content too much - unless they set the slayer points cost too low.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I don't think it degrades the quality of the content too much - unless they set the slayer points cost too low.

Really? You'd compare say 6 hours of slaying with 2 hours of Jad? Even when most slayer tasks can be semi-afk'd with a cannon?

I'd agree with the sentiment that this wasn't a terrible compromise given the choices they had, but it most certainly brings down the challenge this content originally possessed, thus degrading the quality of the update. IMO.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'll be expecting the next Tip.It Times article to discuss this issue. <_<

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I'd like to point out that Mod Chris just said a few pages into the thread that they will most likely be implementing a 5th task ban option at 250 quest points at the same time with this update. :thumbsup:

Well that's pretty decent, if not intended as a bit of a distraction XD Nice finding that out, Bassy :)

hzvjpwS.gif

"I can only access the internet for 15 minutes a day!" - Okay, we'll remove skill requirements.

"I have a laggy connection!" - Okay, we'll ,remove the fire cape requirement.

"I can't pay for membership!" - Okay, we'll make everything free to play.

I think it's equally absurd.

I'm kinda on the fence here. While I like the compromise and truth be told, this would've been a good way to have it all along, I don't like the methods or the reasons as to why it came about.

Wish it had been like this from the start. Anyone tell me how many slayer points it cost?

I like the compromise but I think having to change it because people were whining is a bad thing. If they'd have done it from the start it would have been decent - but the fact they changed it because people whined does my head in.

Jeez, I wasn't aware of how much of a social leper I am around here.

Personally, I'd have never made it a requirement as I don't think that content such a Jad, Soul Wars, Pest Control, or high level quest rewards should be required for skill training. That's more of a personal opinion though. I'm sure many people wouldn't agree.

Given the options though I don't think this update completely destroys the playability. I personally think that few people will really be affected by it. Certainly not enough to make the SoL really common and destroying it's status.

It's not the "nerf" at issue here. It's the reason for its "nerfing."

People are just worried because Jagex would cave on something like this, they might cave to something that will actually affect them someday.

This end result has not made anything worse for anyone. It just allowed a few people who would not otherwise been able to kill them, kill them.

I can imagine what happened over at Jagex though:

Mod 1: Who told them that one of our directives here was to make game content available to as many players as we can despite their hardware?

Mod 2: Well, it's always kind of been known, but I think Gerhard said it in public recently.

Mod 1: Dangit people! This is why we don't tell them anything. Not because we protect our updates, but because we don't want them taking the things we said and actually holding us accountable for our actions.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

How dumb is it to say that being uncampable is part of making them exclusive, but not needing a fire cape isn't? ANYTHING which makes them harder, more quests to get too, etc, makes them more exclusive.

Why do they even need to be exclusive? So lucky slayers can get their hands on them and horde them to jack up their prices?

Facepalmy. SLAYER IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE MONEY.

I also love how all the people for the compromise lack 93 slayer, or a fire cape. And yet none of them have failed caves 10+ times, that I can tell.

Lazy Bastards.

EDIT: Sorry I overreacted.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

How dumb is it to say that being uncampable is part of making them exclusive, but not needing a fire cape isn't? ANYTHING which makes them harder, more quests to get too, etc, makes them more exclusive.

Why do they even need to be exclusive? So lucky slayers can get their hands on them and horde them to jack up their prices?

Facepalmy. SLAYER IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE MONEY.

I also love how all the people for the compromise lack 93 slayer, or a fire cape. And yet none of them have failed caves 10+ times, that I can tell.

Lazy Bastards.

EDIT: Sorry I overreacted.

Slayer doesn't really make a lot of money per se. It gives you drops which you sell for money. I mean really, the only skill that *makes* money is thieving. Oh, and magic has alchemy.

i think that it should take like 6k points, or all the points you have. Whichever is greater. So min cost would be 6k.

I really hate that they are doing this, I think firecape should be required for more things.

A good compromise i can think of would be the wyrms hittng you twice as hard when you do not have firecape on, and prayer could only negate this by 40%. Thus forcing you to pray constantly while on task and making the slayer task totally not worth it.

Or just making it impossible to recieve a staff of light as a dro without wearing fire cape. And you cannot wield a staff of light unless you have finished the fight caves at least once. This would allow people to use sol even if they have lost their fire cape, as long as they have owned one previously.

This would show the whiners that jagex doesnt care about brats who scream and cry, they listen to the people who are able to reason, think clearly, and actually appreciate working for something.

pere_grin.png

I wouldnt be surprised if it cost 100-500 slayer points to unlock Ice Wyrm Tasks.

I'm thinking of a 4 digit number, starting with 5.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

i think that it should take like 6k points, or all the points you have. Whichever is greater. So min cost would be 6k.

I really hate that they are doing this, I think firecape should be required for more things.

A good compromise i can think of would be the wyrms hittng you twice as hard when you do not have firecape on, and prayer could only negate this by 40%. Thus forcing you to pray constantly while on task and making the slayer task totally not worth it.

Or just making it impossible to recieve a staff of light as a dro without wearing fire cape. And you cannot wield a staff of light unless you have finished the fight caves at least once. This would allow people to use sol even if they have lost their fire cape, as long as they have owned one previously.

This would show the whiners that jagex doesnt care about brats who scream and cry, they listen to the people who are able to reason, think clearly, and actually appreciate working for something.

I like how people think a compromise is making it super difficult to kill them. I think that kinda defeats the purpose. Oh, and it's funny how people think that it should also cost excessive amounts of Slayer points.

Are you guys really this upset that you legitimately think that it needs to be this difficult to kill them? God, someone needs to change your diapers people.

I think it's stupid! Jagex need to learn to say NO! to these whiners.

The new "compromise" is a waste IMO. they should've made it require something like making people only allowed to cast Fire Wave (75) or Fire Surge (95) to cause any damage and thse with Fire Cape can use anything they like (well the drop IS for Mages!).

Again another good update falls victim to the whiners of the RSOF :(

Zaroterasu.png

Jeez, I wasn't aware of how much of a social leper I am around here.

You're not a social leper, it's just most of the things you say I, and many other people, disagree with. So it's bizarre for us to be agreeing :P :D

I agree too that people are trying to make it too stupidly hard for people without a cape. Don't be so unreasonable. =/

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I wouldnt be surprised if it cost 100-500 slayer points to unlock Ice Wyrm Tasks.

Den, 100-500 slayer points is NOTHING. I can easily do 6+ tasks a day. It should cost more like 1500-2k points.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

If you earn about 432 points per ten tasks with Kuradal (18*9 + 18*15), then, it's not an unreasonable measure to make it so that it takes 800 points to unlock - or twenty tasks in a row. Although personally I can live with 500, this isn't the kind of compromise I would've liked to see.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

14.5 million gp in runes to buy the right to kill ice wyrms!?! :blink:

lol that's actually kinda fair since that's about the price tag of a single SOL drop

but that's about 5 mil slayer xp in kuradal tasks...

Naaxi.png

Lazy Bastards.

I can't tell if it's a good thing to fail the fight caves 10+ times. I failed the caves once and only tried once. That is when I realized I was not about to risk wasting 20-30 hours of my life on a minigame when I could be using my membership for something more useful. If the combat in the fight caves was fun then yes it wouldn't be a waste of time because I would be having fun, but in my opinion getting to Jad is extremely boring and easy, and once you've got to him once you will never want to again because of how long it takes.

Stellactic.gif