Fire cape compromise. New post by Mod Chris L.

Obtaurian

Disappointing. Like will-holmes I was looking forward to having some extra incentive to get the firecape for when I (eventually) reach 93 slayer.

Hopefully the compromise is something along the lines of being able to kill them without the firecape; but they won't drop the SOL unless you're wearing one.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant the guys that didn't get the cape themself. That's kinda like buying a maxed account because you're a wussy who couldn't grind his stats himself and then whining when they make some skills easier to train. (Yeah that's a bad example)

It's cool that they've added some new highlevel content lately and I hope that they'll continue to do so.

Ah right, I see. That's what you're going to get with difficult challenges, people are going to do it for each other. It's still worth having the content though.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Okay, let me put this into context for everyone. That post by Mod Emilee was made in response to the thread owner's 3 options for a fix to the Icewyrms. Those options were:

1. Nothing will be changed

2. The fire cape requirement will be removed.

3. A compromise will be instituted, such as an alternative piece of equipment.

SO! Having said that, Mod Emilee chose number 4; a non-existing option. THEREFORE, the fire cape is going to STAY because she didn't choose number 2, but there will be something else done.

So quit whining by whining about others whining, it's boring. Also, take a look at most of the RSOF's posts against the fire cape, and you'll find they aren't quite as whiny as you think (other than some of Qeltar's comments), but actual constructive feedback. What else do you want them to give?

Once again, I could care less, but I thought it was necessarily to at least put that Mod post into context. :mellow:

Okay, let me put this into context for everyone. That post by Mod Emilee was made in response to the thread owner's 3 options for a fix to the Icewyrms. Those options were:

SO! Having said that, Mod Emilee chose number 4; a non-existing option. THEREFORE, the fire cape is going to STAY because she didn't choose number 2, but there will be something else done.

So quit whining by whining about others whining, it's boring. Also, take a look at most of the RSOF's posts against the fire cape, and you'll find they aren't quite as whiny as you think (other than some of Qeltar's comments), but actual constructive feedback. What else do you want them to give?

Once again, I could care less, but I thought it was necessarily to at least put that Mod post into context. :mellow:

I find it funny that it took that long for someone to notice this bit of information. If I had to guess, I bet the comprimise is with the Fight Caves. Probably end up it that you always restart the wave you died at, whether it be two 360's or even Jad until you complete it. I might even try Jad if I could do it in steps.

Then again, the people who kill the Tz creatures with prayer, then go into Fight Caves to get tokkul and die, and recharge their prayer will start tp whine.

On another note, have they posted the compromise yet?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I don't think so..

I hope it's something like if you have got to Jad then you can buy this faux-fire cape from Kuradal that degrades once your task is over. That way you have to actually put some effort in going through the fight caves but not waste hours of your time if you keep dieing to Jad through no fault of your own.. *glares at bugs in npc behaviour*.

asrhasrh.jpg

I find it funny that it took that long for someone to notice this bit of inofmration. If I had to gjuess, I bet the comprimise is with the Fight Caves. Probably end up it that you always restart the wave you died at, whether it be two 360's or even Jad until you complete it. I might even try Jad if I could do it in steps.

Then again, then the people who kill the Tz creatures with prayer, then go into Fight Caves to get tokkul and die, and recharge their prayer will start tp whine.

On another note, have they posted the comprimise yet?

Sorry, I should've posted that last night but it slipped my mind (got pulled into the flame war). No, they've yet to post anything else on the 'compromise.'

How bad are posting stndards on here when no one even mentions how god awful my post was. I didn't realize how screwed up it was until I saw Bassy quote me. That's what you get when you try and rush through a post because you have to pee.

Nah, that's not the way to intepret it. You see, based on Mod Emilee's non-existing option, we can conclude that:

1. Something will be changed

2. The Fire Cape requirement will stay

3. A compromise would not be instituted

...which probably means that they'll burn their own servers tonight and delay this issue for another two weeks or so.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I'm glad they are changing it.

I have 93 slayer and no fire cape.

I tried 5 times and can't get it. I play runescape on a laptop with slow graphics. By the time I can get the prayer to switch and register, jad owns me.

However, i did upgrade a desktop with a better $150 graphic card and the difference is tremendous, with almost instantaneous prayer switching. So i will give it another go.

But I feel for those who can't afford the upgrade.

I agree with the adze compromise. At least that is bearable.

I knew they would cave in. :P

Elite content doesnt exist in Runescape and never will. Whiners will just make the elite content into master content with all their whining.

Im glad I didnt get a fire cape now, because id be even more pissed if I did get one.

I would like to see Ampharaos's suggestion that fire cape wielders hit double on ice strykewyrms be implemented. This compromise better not be something that undermines getting a fire cape by just buying a deteriorating cape.

Soul Wars Cape beats Fire cape. 10 Prayer bonus> +4 Strength bonus+3 defence and +1 attack bonus. Defence is not so important at many slayer monsters, so the +3 defence is kinda unecessary there then. Piety/Turmoil/Berserker however is smart to use though at Slayer.

So honestly Fire cape should give between 5-20 more damage like Fericious ring against Ice Strykewyrms, and those who don't have Fire cape won't have that benefit. If Jagex introduces a replacement for Fire cape, it will be the biggest [cabbage] ever.

I bet that most of the people here who are defending the fire cape reguirement paid for someone to get a fire cape for them.

Yeah i agree with you here mate. I paid a friend(s) for 11-13 Fire capes.

Fyi, the defence bonus for fire cape is +11 in all stats, not +3.

This has just been posted on the forums:

Hey all,

We've been closely monitoring feedback and opinions on the Strykewyrm update. Obviously, the main point of focus has been the fire cape requirement for the Ice strykewyrms. As previously mentioned, we have now hopefully found an agreeable compromise. Most importantly, we'd like to make it clear that this is only being done to recognise and support those who truly cannot defeat TzTok-Jad due to the reflex times required and other similar factors.

The proposed changes are:

• Players who do not have a fire cape can purchase an ability from the Slayer masters using the Slayer points. When bought, this ability will then make Ice Strykewyrms a possible assignment without the need for a fire cape.
  • With the above, we now have 2 types of players, those who are fighting Ice strykewyrms with the fire cape, and those without.

This leads to the following:

• If you are fighting Ice strykewyrms and are NOT wearing the fire cape (have bought the ability), the combat difficultly fighting the Ice strykewyrms will be equal to what is currently in the live game, with the one exception that the Ice strykewyrm's max hit maybe a point or two higher (you can still use protect prayers against them though).
  • If you are fighting Ice strykewyrms and ARE wearing the fire cape, they will not inflict any more damage to you than they do already. Further to this, in a similar way to the Ferocious ring, every attack you do whilst wearing the fire cape (as long as it hits) will do +4 damage.

Hopefully this is agreeable, as those without the firecape get the gameplay that is currently live. Those with the firecape not only save the slayer points, but still have a reward for the effort it took to get the cape in that they can do more damage (and hence decrease NPC kill times). Hopefully this also provides an incentive to get the cape in the future for those who were considering it.

I'll hence be implementing the above, along with two other small abilities we have seen requested from general feedback. Whilst I can't say when you'll be seeing these, I'll be trying to get them to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter.

-Chris

chumley.png

Hey all,

We've been closely monitoring feedback and opinions on the Strykewyrm update. Obviously, the main point of focus has been the fire cape requirement for the Ice strykewyrms. As previously mentioned, we have now hopefully found an agreeable compromise. Most importantly, we'd like to make it clear that this is only being done to recognise and support those who truly cannot defeat TzTok-Jad due to the reflex times required and other similar factors.

The proposed changes are:

• Players who do not have a fire cape can purchase an ability from the Slayer masters using the Slayer points. When bought, this ability will then make Ice Strykewyrms a possible assignment without the need for a fire cape.
  • With the above, we now have 2 types of players, those who are fighting Ice strykewyrms with the fire cape, and those without.

This leads to the following:

• If you are fighting Ice strykewyrms and are NOT wearing the fire cape (have bought the ability), the combat difficultly fighting the Ice strykewyrms will be equal to what is currently in the live game, with the one exception that the Ice strykewyrm's max hit maybe a point or two higher (you can still use protect prayers against them though).
  • If you are fighting Ice strykewyrms and ARE wearing the fire cape, they will not inflict any more damage to you than they do already. Further to this, in a similar way to the Ferocious ring, every attack you do whilst wearing the fire cape (as long as it hits) will do +4 damage.

Hopefully this is agreeable, as those without the firecape get the gameplay that is currently live. Those with the firecape not only save the slayer points, but still have a reward for the effort it took to get the cape in that they can do more damage (and hence decrease NPC kill times). Hopefully this also provides an incentive to get the cape in the future for those who were considering it.

I'll hence be implementing the above, along with two other small abilities we have seen requested from general feedback. Whilst I can't say when you'll be seeing these, I'll be trying to get them to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your patience and understanding in this matter.

-Chris

QFC 15-16-935-60415243

Congratulations whiners, you got what you wanted. I lost my fire cape a few months ago and I had to re-learn the techniques and the NEW JAD in order to get it back, and it even took me a couple of tries, just so I could get my fire cape back for this update.

Great job Jagex taking the one thing that requires just a little skill out of this game.

11th to 99 Summoning

85th to 99 Runecrafting

soulattacker.png

Soul Wars Cape beats Fire cape. 10 Prayer bonus> +4 Strength bonus+3 defence and +1 attack bonus. Defence is not so important at many slayer monsters, so the +3 defence is kinda unecessary there then. Piety/Turmoil/Berserker however is smart to use though at Slayer.

So honestly Fire cape should give between 5-20 more damage like Fericious ring against Ice Strykewyrms, and those who don't have Fire cape won't have that benefit. If Jagex introduces a replacement for Fire cape, it will be the biggest [cabbage] ever.

Prayer bonus isn't linear, meaning fire cape is 'better' (read: more efficient) than soul wars cape if you're already wearing proselyte top/verac skirt or full proselyte. Since that is enough to tank most slayer tasks, the only way sw cape is more efficient would be wearing bandos chestplate + verac skirt.

I'm against some fire cape compromise really, but I guess that's because I can't imagine having a computer sucky enough that you can't even properly pray switch. Wouldn't that be really annoying just normally playing runescape anyway?

2dvjurb.png

Meh, I didn't have a fire cape when the wyrms were released? So what? I went and got it. Sure, it took a few tries but it was worth getting the benefits of slaying ice strykewyrms. So, now they want to change it again? Great. One thing I didn't fully understand, will the people who have fire capes recieve a special bonus or advantage of somekind?

M_A_R_T.png

Only a point or two higher in max damage? That doesn't quite seem right. Why aren't they significantly harder? I guess that would be seen as too much of a 'punishment'. Meh, I really liked this integration concept that the slayer skill was starting to display. It would seen now, though, that this will no longer be the case. It's a little heart-breaking.

Virtually no use to use the fire cape now EDIT: during slayer tasks, I mean... I'd buy the ability just so I wouldn't have to wear it in order to be assigned them--if I had the level for such a thing, of course.

will the people who have fire capes recieve a special bonus or advantage of somekind?

The fire cape will have a ferocious ring-like effect where you'll have +4 added to your damage when you hit.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm kinda on the fence here. While I like the compromise and truth be told, this would've been a good way to have it all along, I don't like the methods or the reasons as to why it came about.

Wish it had been like this from the start. Anyone tell me how many slayer points it cost?

If i could right click catch a diagonal runner on a 56k modem back in 2002, these people should be able to switch prayers to kill jad... honestly if your internet is THAT bad why are you playing this game? And more importantly why aren't you complaining about the million other things you can't do in runescape because of a bad connection to me it just seems like a convenient excuse to use to get rid of a rare part of this game that still requires some semblance of skill.

pandapk2.jpg

I surprisingly agree with Me Hate Libes for once. Had this been implemented upon release, no one would have disagreed it was a bad move.

If we ignore the whole debate and look at it like it'S only one update, then it's a good update.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

If we look at this as a separate update, I'd have wanted them to make the Fire Cape a req anyway really.

Also, on another note: I went and got my second Fire Cape today, and it seems that when you now logout DURING a wave (while it's still running, either by clicking logout button twice/dcing) you'll only have to do that wave again, and not all waves before it. Is this a new change?

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

I do not agree with the ends justifying the means, but I think the ends now are pretty decent. I don't get why people would be this upset honestly, considering how many of them don't even have the skill.

I mean, every poster on RSOF in that thread is practically just going *rabble rabble rabble rabble*

But then again it goes back to a little belief of mine. People are gonan see what they wanna see, hear what they wanna hear, do what they wanna do. If they couldn't find fault with this, they'd find it somewhere else and still complain. It's what sad, bitter teenage kids do. Boys mostly. :razz:

Nice.... Elite content just became master content. No big whopping surprise here.

The only way id see this compromise as fair is if the task cost 5k slayer points or more.

Jad is now off my to do list again.

Im just glad the makers behind Nomad's Requiem had enough gutts not to nerf Nomad.

2010, the year of awesome nerfs. :)