A new maximum level?

SwreeTak

Just throwing in a random comment...

First rune armor was the greatest, and a full set would sell for over a million gp!

Next, dragon armor (the metal kind) was popular among high levels, and the d-chain went for prices of 20-30m, whereas the d med went for 1m or so.

But then suddenly came barrows, 3rd age, god wars armor, and PvP, and the d med dropped to below 100k while the d-chain is now below 10m.

If new 120 capes came out, the 99 capes would become sort of lame, like wearing full rune + d med.

If someone said this before me, I didn't have time to read the whole thread, sorry! :|

edit: Would 120 Smithing mean that you could no longer create rune platebodies at 99?

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think making the limit 120 is a good idea...

They would only do it if they wanted people to grind 100m exp, which is 7x more than a 99 would take. C'mon, that's just gonna kill people.

Also, what's the point of capes at 99 if it isn't maxed? There's no point in wearing them anymore, stats aren't good, and will be outclassed by 120 capes. It's like if right now, Jagex decided to give people a cape for achieving level 80 in a skill (roughly 7x less exp than 99), would people wear it? Probably not. It would be useless.

And one more thing, what's the point of 120 firemaking? woodcutting? mining? agility? There are some skills that might be useful if the level cap was buffed (namely combat skills), but for the other ones, there's plenty of high level space that hasn't been filled yet and making the cap 120 wouldn't make sense.

Staurolite.png

And one more thing, what's the point of 120 firemaking? woodcutting? mining? agility? There are some skills that might be useful if the level cap was buffed (namely combat skills), but for the other ones, there's plenty of high level space that hasn't been filled yet and making the cap 120 wouldn't make sense.

That is the point. Take smithing, for example. The skill had been stuck for higher-level additions because it was made to have rune at the highest level, 99. Extending the level cap would allow for higher-level activities for that, and other skills.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I'd say this is a good idea as long as you leave out attack/strength/defence/ranged/mage. Everything else would be fine though.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I don't think making the limit 120 is a good idea...

They would only do it if they wanted people to grind 100m exp, which is 7x more than a 99 would take. C'mon, that's just gonna kill people.

Also, what's the point of capes at 99 if it isn't maxed? There's no point in wearing them anymore, stats aren't good, and will be outclassed by 120 capes. It's like if right now, Jagex decided to give people a cape for achieving level 80 in a skill (roughly 7x less exp than 99), would people wear it? Probably not. It would be useless.

Which is why I don't advocate giving capes for 120. I think they should release 120 but simply not give any way to show it beyond quick chat.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

We are still in the phase of understanding the new skill, as one of the posters mentioned maybe at higher lvl's the xp is at a much faster rate, because at current low lvl's the skill looks a very slow skill to lvl up.

But it would be interesting to see if the bar of max lvl is raised up, because then more and more ppl will train the skill, a lot of ppl quit the skill after 99.

dontspamxh3.gif

My vote goes to raising the cap. You can still get 99, you can still get a cape, it's that you can now go further and get use out of it: Combat Level, better skill use, easier times in the dungeon, etc.

Everyone moaning that it'll make their efforts meaningless seem to not notice that they still have the level they built up. The cape is still there along with the 99.

It's like those that moan movies made from their favorite books and other movies. "They DESTROYED my favorite book, They RUINED my favorite movie, blah, blah, blah". Your book and movie and still there along with your 99 in cooking. You can enjoy those or go for something new. It's called PROGRESS, either ignore it or go along with it.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

My vote goes to raising the cap. You can still get 99, you can still get a cape, it's that you can now go further and get use out of it: Combat Level, better skill use, easier times in the dungeon, etc.

Everyone moaning that it'll make their efforts meaningless seem to not notice that they still have the level they built up. The cape is still there along with the 99.

It's like those that moan movies made from their favorite books and other movies. "They DESTROYED my favorite book, They RUINED my favorite movie, blah, blah, blah". Your book and movie and still there along with your 99 in cooking. You can enjoy those or go for something new. It's called PROGRESS, either ignore it or go along with it.

Well said.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Well said.

Not really, the point was that although the 99 is still there, it wouldn't be nearly as impressive. It's like bragging about having full dragon when there are much more impressive sets of armor to be owned.

Scenario:

Player A: I have full dragon (with the platebody!) I am the best because I have the best metal armor!

Player B: Not really, I have full 3rd age melee, a newer addition that costs almost 10x what a full dragon set costs, and has better stats.

Player A: Well, my full dragon is still here. I am staying in my little rut and not going along with progress.

Player B: (lol) Whatever...

Player C: It's ok Player A, I didn't progress any further than full rune...

All skills 70+

We are still in the phase of understanding the new skill, as one of the posters mentioned maybe at higher lvl's the xp is at a much faster rate, because at current low lvl's the skill looks a very slow skill to lvl up.

But it would be interesting to see if the bar of max lvl is raised up, because then more and more ppl will train the skill, a lot of ppl quit the skill after 99.

I agree with you partly in this, but I still think that most people would quit at level 99. But since no skills except dungeoneering have a higher max level than 99 we will have to wait and see.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

After chasing for a 99 for ages, when you finally get there, they say GF lol and make you spend around 8 times more effort to reach true skill mastery.

The problem with this is that you can still read the original book without ever needing to interact with the new one because they are two separate things. In runescape you will be forced to interact with people who have level 120 skills. I would not like this change unless they split the game up and you could chose to stick with runescape pre-120 level cap, or go with rs3 with the new 120 level cap. kinda like runescape and runescape classic

Not a single person in this thread would quit if the cap were raised. You must be kidding yourselves. This is Runescape. One does not simply WALK out of Falador.

I can guarantee to you that I will quit if they raise the level cap, after being banned for protesting of course.

However, I feel like this would be much too complicated for them to implement anyway. Just using combat as an example:

Because prayers are based on %, raising the constitution cap to 120 along with the other combat skills would mean 1 hitting people would be easier. Using piety, and assuming that the amount the super strength potion boosts stays the same (+19), 99 strength is boosted to 145, but 120 strength is boosted to 170. That is a strength increase of 25, while constitution gets an increase of 20. Its like adding 5 extra strength levels with no constitution levels to soak up damage. This doesn't even take into account % boosts give by weapon specials (ags), using turmoil ( with an opponent of 120 strength? yeah right), or that a super strength would probably boost +20 or 21. All this makes an existing problem much worse, and makes Jagex's job of adding life point increasing Armour much more difficult.

Soldin_911.png

Not a single person in this thread would quit if the cap were raised. You must be kidding yourselves. This is Runescape. One does not simply WALK out of Falador.

It's true!

Teleport, wall grapple, crumbled wall, scorpion infested mine, using heartless murderers to distract the gate guards as you wheel out their statues... never just walking!

I can guarantee to you that I will quit if they raise the level cap, after being banned for protesting of course.

However, I feel like this would be much too complicated for them to implement anyway. Just using combat as an example:

Because prayers are based on %, raising the constitution cap to 120 along with the other combat skills would mean 1 hitting people would be easier. Using piety, and assuming that the amount the super strength potion boosts stays the same (+19), 99 strength is boosted to 145, but 120 strength is boosted to 170. That is a strength increase of 25, while constitution gets an increase of 20. Its like adding 5 extra strength levels with no constitution levels to soak up damage. This doesn't even take into account % boosts give by weapon specials (ags), using turmoil ( with an opponent of 120 strength? yeah right), or that a super strength would probably boost +20 or 21. All this makes an existing problem much worse, and makes Jagex's job of adding life point increasing Armour much more difficult.

Seeing as this is a PVP problem and PVPers represent a small fraction of RS playerbase, players like you quitting would not have a great impact to the game. I agree this would screw up PVP, but since I choose not to PVP, I wouldn't mind very much.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I thought they said they were only having Dungeoneering being up to level 120, and everything else will stay at 99. Weird, but I might understand it more if I understood the skill more.

I know you get more XP the higher your level, just like any other skill. But it seems to me as though it takes a long time to level..could just be my experience so far though.

Big_Stingman.png

Tbh I think we're going to have to wait and see how slow the skill(dungeoneering) is to train at higher levels(90+) until we can figure out why they made the max level 120 instead of 99. It could possibly be the fastest skill in the game to train after level 100 we certainly won't know until someone gets it. As for the other skills, raising the cap to 120 for most of them would make them take ages to get to 120 because, unless they also released higher level content, most of them are already very slow to get 99 in, imagine 120. My point is we already know the max speeds at which the other skills can be trained so we have some idea of how slow 120 would take but we have no idea how slow/fast dungeoneering can be at high levels(90+) until someone actually gets the level.

I do think that instead of another cape for 120 there needs to be some sort of other item to "show off" your skill with. Having two skill capes is just going to make the first one seem like nothing special eventually it'll just be gathering dust on someone's cape rack in there house.

Of course we know jagex has no intentions of raising the cap atm though.

Well said.

Not really, the point was that although the 99 is still there, it wouldn't be nearly as impressive. It's like bragging about having full dragon when there are much more impressive sets of armor to be owned.

Scenario:

Player A: I have full dragon (with the platebody!) I am the best because I have the best metal armor!

Player B: Not really, I have full 3rd age melee, a newer addition that costs almost 10x what a full dragon set costs, and has better stats.

Player A: Well, my full dragon is still here. I am staying in my little rut and not going along with progress.

Player B: (lol) Whatever...

Player C: It's ok Player A, I didn't progress any further than full rune...

Isn't that the whole point of runescape? And yes 3rd age is more impressive than full dragon, so is having 104m exp more impressive than 13m. The point is just if it should give you an advantage, and I'd say yes because it is MORE impressive, some people like training a certain skill, making it more rewarding than just earning ranks in highscores Id say is pretty fair. Maybe a skillcape at 120 isn't the way to go but there should at least be some way to show off your achievements.

99 ranged/99 hunter/99 mage/99 cook/99 constitution

99 woodcutting/99 firemaking/99 farming

sig2fk1.png

99 herblore achieved on 7/10/2008

99 agility achieved 7/2/2010

Seeing as this is a PVP problem and PVPers represent a small fraction of RS playerbase, players like you quitting would not have a great impact to the game. I agree this would screw up PVP, but since I choose not to PVP, I wouldn't mind very much.

The example I gave is mostly a PVP problem, but it affects more aspects of the game that I didn't talk about. In PVM all bosses will become much easier and prices of things like godswords, spirit shields, bandos, arma, etc... will all drop. So this is more than a PVP problem, its a combat problem in general. And last I checked combat affects a lot more than a fraction of the RS playerbase. The only thing making a 120 level cap would do for combat is cause problems.

Soldin_911.png

raising skills above 99 would make me quit, i don't like games that has no reasonable limits. everyone want to feel they have finished that skill in some way, but with 120 many of us would never see that day.

i only have 3 skill capes, and iw played sins a half year after runescape 2 came out, 99 is defenetly good enough for the majority of us players.

and one more note note, think of those who begin the game today, or tomorrow. how long would they bee called noobs unless they totally no-life the game? would never have started playing this game if it had been that way.

§fresi§

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

Isn't that the whole point of runescape? And yes 3rd age is more impressive than full dragon, so is having 104m exp more impressive than 13m. The point is just if it should give you an advantage, and I'd say yes because it is MORE impressive, some people like training a certain skill, making it more rewarding than just earning ranks in highscores Id say is pretty fair. Maybe a skillcape at 120 isn't the way to go but there should at least be some way to show off your achievements.

IMO some skillcapes like Runecrafting, Summoning, Slayer, or Herblore (longer skills) would still be impressive to an extent, but skillcapes like Cooking or Fletching would just show off your mediocrity in the skill when at level 99 you have a fraction of the exp that it takes to get to level 120.

All skills 70+

I haven't worked it out, but since level 120 is only 104 mil, that means you can still get almost double that more experience in the skill, so there must be a reason they chose level 120 over say, level 110, 115, or 125 (I think level 126 is what you'd be with 200m xp). The most obvious conclusion is that with 104m xp you'll have enough tokens to get all the items from dungeoneering, but no, to obtain one of literally everything as yet available, you'd need to get approx 48m xp. I guess they'd plan for additional rewards in the future, but really, level 120 is just too arbitrary for me. Why break from the traditional format for no reason, especially if its not a jumping point for all skills max levels to be raised.

Lagatag.png