Strange Rock Frequency

PenguinsLoose

I know that there is a randomness factor in this game; therefore I waited to make this observation until I could see a clear pattern. For at least the last three weeks (and I do a complete shattered heart every week) I have been getting strange rocks at a much faster rate in some skills. While hunter, firemaking, farming and thieving were much slower than mining in the past, I am now getting rocks in those skills just as quickly as in mining. I realize that randomness could be the explanation even over three complete cycles, but being in more than one skill makes that explanation a little less decisive.

Unfortunately, construction seems to be just as slow as ever.

So, I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced what seems to be a shift in the frequency of strange rocks in any skills.

People always seem to find certain ones fast and others slow.

Though no-one ever universally agrees as it varies from player player.

All we know is if change of finding a rock for a skill is x.

Once you find say a hunter rock, chance of hunter rock becomes x/2 (half as likely), however all other skills remain at x.

If you get a stone in a different skill, hunter is reset to x

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

On another note, how many more weeks until it's possible that the statue can be completed?

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

What are you basing that on? That's not true at all in my experience.

J Mod who developed it explained that it work that way some where of RSOF, it was even posted on tif with screenies.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

People always seem to find certain ones fast and others slow.

Though no-one ever universally agrees as it varies from player player.

I'm sure you're right - i find Hunter rocks the most difficult to get, but other people say they find them really easy

Also i have a theory, based on my own experience, that if you have recently logged in then you are more likely to get a rock

Possible Jagex reasoning if this is so:

Casual players are more likely to have recently logged in and they are more easily discouraged, so if they don't easily get a rock they think "This game's too hard - it sucks so i won't play it" whilst hardcore players will have been logged in for a longer time and if they get a rock quickly they will think "This game's too easy and is for noobs nowadays - it sucks and i'm gonna quit"

rsbotsonline.png

What are you basing that on? That's not true at all in my experience.

Thats how I manage to get all my rocks for a week in 4 hours. :P

in the beginning agility was one of the harder rocks for me to get but know i get it just as fast as some of the other ones

one of the things i have started to notice is that if you switch up what you are doing within a skill say fletch some yew longs then fletch some maple longs i seem to get the rock more readily, it could be an illusion idk and it only works for some skills.

also i am at 20/30 pieces done i can get the 20th piece tomorrow any way

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Honestly, it seems totally random; I got some pairs in only minutes (It took 250 tuna to get both Cooking rocks) others took hours of grinding to get (It took me forever to get one Smithing rock).

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

Today, I got most of my rocks for the 21st replica piece and almost every rock seemed to take longer (1st smithing stone took me 2.7k smelting steel bars...), but I agree that it is just random, just as with rare drops (look at effigies, got like 40 slayer tasks before I had my first effigy, afterwards, in about 5-10 tasks I've had 3 other effigies).

It's all based on luck.

The only ones that I'm sure have beomce easier are hunter and herblore. I remember the frequency of hunter rocks was upped in a patch notes or "in other news". And herblore is easier for the fact that you can now get them from cleaning herbs.

Each week, there is always one pair of rocks that take a couple of hours to get. The first few weeks, they were either construction or hunter. Things seemed to get better when Jagex fixed the runecrafting ones; construction doesn't take more than hour of sitting in the house after that.

The fastest pair I get are from fishing monks. They typically appear in one inventory. This week, runecrafting took the longest (an hour at ZMI).

There's 9 weeks left before someone finishes their statue.

imevil.jpg

In 21 weeks, I have never had an exception to fishing being the easiest, and hunter being the hardest.

Based on everyone I've talked to, there's VERY STRONG evidence to suggest this is generally agreed upon.

Spot on - I always get the fishing & mining rocks in 2 loads or less. Getting a hunter rock is like puling teeth.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

In 21 weeks, I have never had an exception to fishing being the easiest, and hunter being the hardest.

Based on everyone I've talked to, there's VERY STRONG evidence to suggest this is generally agreed upon.

I'll agree with your experience.

The easiest for me are:

1. Fishing with a big net - i usually get them both before my backpack is filled

2. Mining - the same is also the case here

The hardest:

1. Hunter - i hunt Sabertoothed Kyatts and these can be a pain.

2. Cooking - i have to cook tons and tons of fish before i get the rocks.

:idea: how about somebody made a poll where we could select the easiest and hardest rock to get - it would really provide a nice overview IMO.

I will say hunter is without a doubt, the hardest skill to get rocks with.

Easiest is fishing.

Sometimes thieving, herblore, and farming is a pain. The last 2 are only hard though because all I do is hunt herbs and clean them for rocks.

untitled8copyiu7.gif

People think the hunter one is hard to get? :unsure: I get that one fairly fast, sometimes faster then smithing/woodcutting.

I have the most trouble getting the last farming one.

Possibly because I only farm herbs though.

I went from 61-69 construction without a single strange rock

it's because you don't know hwo to obtain a construction rock...you need to "not" be in construction mode.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I've had 30 construction rocks so far with 90% of them appearing inside 5 minutes. I've had only one occasion when the rock appeared after my magpie's time went to 0. That's about 30 minutes to get a rock. The trick is to simply switch between rocks as it cuts down on the time of the second rock for that skill.

@Kalafai

I'm not much familiar with workbench, hence my assumption he trained it in construction mode.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I went from 61-69 construction without a single strange rock

was you in build mode? because i think they can't be gained thr build mode

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D