Minecraft General

demby123

Well, I heard it was sorta Minecraft-ish. Dunno. Was maybe gonna buy it if the comparison was accurate.

It's an accurate description, though I think a more accurate description would be, "Minecraft Day 1--forever."

It's fun and entertaining in a different way than minecraft is but the basic mechanics of the game are pretty much the same (excluding the 2D aspect). Worth trying if you like minecraft.

hzvjpwS.gif

The two games have very similar starts and basic mechanics (entire world is made of blocks, all of which can be manipulated - ie destroyed, placed, etc), and has similar crafting (although you don't have to 'form' recipes to craft them on Terraria, just have the correct materials in your inventory and be next to the correct crafting station to make things - workbench for basic things, furnace for smelting, anvil for smithing, table with bottle for making potions, etc).

Other than the very basics, though (and the fact that Terraria is 2D), they're very different in depth. There are boss fights, different equipment, etc. It plays similarly to what you'd expect of a 2D Minecraft, but Terraria focuses a lot more on combat, but still has the ability to build some fairly neat structures.

I agree with Kim here - if you enjoy Minecraft, you'll probably enjoy Terraria as well.

Link_Olaran.png

I just can't get back into playing minecraft. I still watch minecraft videos whenever I get the chance, but actually playing isn't all that fun for me anymore. Not sure why, could be because I've gone from like 10 hours of free time a day to 1 or 2, depending on if I feel like sleeping, so I value my time more. It's sad really, cause I have lots of awesome ideas for stuff to build.

Yeah I feel the same. I still love the idea of Minecraft but I can't play more than five minutes of it. <_<

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I cant play MC atm. the stupid 1.6.6 Update broke my version and I cant get it to load anymore. >.>

Even on a clean install?

Also version 1.7, although something that won't be released for a while, will include adventure mode! :3 Yayayay.

hzvjpwS.gif

So I'm looking to install some mods, anyone have any tips or things I should install first? I have a feeling I can't since I don't have Minecraft.jar, or rather, I have it, but its opened, and I don't know which files and folders were contained in it so I can zip it back properly.

@overdoziz, adventure mode will supposedly be a mode where you can make tools and stuff, but can't destroy or place blocks, and will function like an adventure game, where you have to figure out what to do and where to go. At least that's my understanding.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Dizzle, I can give you some advice on how to install mods, but I'd need to know what you're installing first, since some mods have different reqs, and a couple are installed a little differently than others. I haven't been playing Minecraft lately, but I still remember how to do this :P

As for the minecraft.jar, it's located (for me anyway)...

Application Data/Roaming/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar

You can fairly easily locate it by entering %appdata% in the "Run..." command in the start menu. I highly doubt Minecraft could run if you didn't have the jar intact, so it should still be there. If it was extracted and Minecraft is still loading with it somehow, then I could probably try to list off the contents of the jar so you can try to recompress it (although it'd likely be easier to just redownload everything, since the jar has a TON of files in it).

Anyway, just as basic advice, a majority of mods will require at least Risugami's ModLoader, so you'll likely need that at the very least. If you have trouble hunting stuff down, I can help (seeing as I have at least 100 mod links in my bookmarks folder somewhere, but it's a horrid mess so I try not to look at it).

Just ask me if you need help :) I'll be glad to do whatever I can to be of assistance.

Link_Olaran.png

Install Modloader first and then the other utilities mods such as Audio mod, GUI, and such. Utilities are mods that act like a requirement for other mods so that's why you want to get them first.

Then just watch out for Modloader compatibility. The huge popular mods will have it, but the smaller ones maybe they will not...this can lead to conflicts (aka crashes/issues) so try and get only Modloader compatable.

I would post links to the Utilities mods, but I deleted my Mod links a while back. Start in the Modloader thread though, on it there's links to some utilities.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Generally, only the newbie created mods (and just released mods by all people) won't have ModLoader compatibility - it's generally one of the very first things that are requested with new mods that don't already have that compatibility.

In addition to ModLoader compatibility, keep an eye on what class files each mod uses - if two different mods use the same class file, and neither of them have a note in their topic saying it's compatible, just install this mod over the other one, or something similar, they'll likely be incompatible. Occasionally, some mods can function without having one of their class files installed (OptiFog, I think, is one), but generally, conflicting class files = incompatible.

I personally find it helpful to create a plain text file that lists all the class files each mod uses, organized by mod, to make it easier to check for compatibility that way.

Just some links to the basic utilities that Gio listed:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/75440-v166-risugamis-mods-updates/ (ModLoader and AudioMod)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91544-166may-27-lahwrans-mods-wecui-zanmini-guiapi-166/ (GUI API)

Those are the bare basics. Only a couple mods here and there will require GUI API and AudioMod, but ModLoader is used by far the most.

Link_Olaran.png

I cant play MC atm. the stupid 1.6.6 Update broke my version and I cant get it to load anymore. >.>

It's been broken on mine since I got it, and I have not got it working since October, which is incredibly annoying.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Not even deleting all of the bin files and redownloading makes it work anymore (to Tim and Aeon)? Really strange :/

I'm honestly not sure what else to recommend, because I can't think of anything that could break it for that long of a period... maybe if Java was out of date, or if your main client was old (Notch did update with a new launcher a while back).

Gonna do some digging, see if there's anything that could be causing this. I've nothing else to do atm, so I might as well.

Link_Olaran.png

Started a new world for 1.6. Seed I used was pretty cool, there's an area that's like a wide plain/desert with a giant cave system under it, and two pretty big mountains facing each other.

And Adventure Mode seems like it'd be boring as hell, unless Notch adds in a tonne of stuff, along with some kind of logical progression path, new mobs, bosses, etc.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Great. Now it won't even connect to MC.net. :mellow:

It connects, downloads everything, then freezes on the. 'Done Loading' part with a bit of the bar left to go.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Is it actually giving an error message, and then crashing to desktop? Or even at that point, just closes on it's own (with no error message)? If it isn't, I'm wondering if it might be the firewall (or Windows' UAC thing) interfering with the update. It's certainly possible, since my own firewall bugs me about allowing some programs to access the internet just after they're updated.

If it IS giving an error message, then I really wouldn't know what to do. I'm not much of a tech guy, so even if you had an error message to post a picture of, I wouldn't be able to make any sense of it :/

If you posted in the support section on minecraftforum.net, you MIGHT get a response that'll help. Big might, but it's worth a shot, I suppose. If one of the more knowledgeable guys answer (and I know there has to be some on there somewhere), they'd likely be able to help a lot more than me.

EDIT: Went through ten pages on the support forum. Didn't find a solution, but I know you're not alone. There's at least one other person that posted somewhat recently who has the exact same error as you, Aeon. I'm going to bookmark that topic and see if anyone knowledgeable posts on it. Other than that, no one seems to know what the problem is. Or at least I haven't found anything.

Edited by LinkOlaran
Link_Olaran.png

My Minecraft loads up fine, but when I get to the menu, instant epic lag. I can't select anything. No mods, latest version, completely new install.

EDIT: 'Let's try Minecraft now just to see! Oh. It works.' Wut. I'm still confused, any ideas?

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Great. The launcher won't even connect to minecraft.net. <_<

-Random Youtuber

So many problems...I downloaded and installed 1.6 yesterday with no problems whatsoever.

siggy3s.jpg

According to this article (towards the bottom of this article), MineCraft is coming to Xbox 360/Kinect later this year!

-Random Youtuber

Unfortunately it will be kind of hard to update. Still cool that it's accessible to more people though, I guess.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWSJTy1SXy4&feature=channel_video_title

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video saves a thousand posts.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

No...

I haven't.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang