Dungeoneering efficiency

leonxb

Sometimes while playing a dungeon you find the boss before opening all doors. You can do 2 things in such a situation: fight the boss and end, or open all rooms, fight the boss and end. If you open all rooms first you get more xp but it also costs more time.

I've been in such a situation quite a few times now and when i say 'we should fight the boss and end because it's more efficient' i mostly get called an idiot because 'you get less xp when not opening all rooms'. But am i right? Should you immediately fight the boss when you find him to save time on a small/med/large? Or is the xp bonus worth the extra spend-time to open all doors? And do you open all doors before fight a boss, or do you fight him when you find him?

I'm interested to hear what you think about this!

Leonxb.png

The problem with ending before opening all doors is that if those doors aren't bonus rooms you will lose prestige as well as bonus%, thus you can lose up to 40k xp per dungeon by ending before opening all rooms. Sure, sometimes they will all be bonus rooms, costing you 1-3%, but on the off chance they aren't you are giving up a big chunk of xp for what is actually very easy to complete.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It's most efficient on probably any floor over 15 to open all rooms before fighting the boss. Just don't waste time clearing monsters out of non-guardian doors unless it's a key clutch point on the map (altar, 3-way junction, etc.).

You don't need all 5 members of your team for a boss; 4 at most (Looking at you Yk'Lagor).

Usually if you find the boss while there's still some rooms left to open, 3-4 members can fight it, while the Keyer finishes up their business. The only problem then is to make sure no one ends the dungeon early. :wall:

Not only is prestige lost if you don't open all the doors, base experience is lost too (which is total bull because base experience should be just that - the very base). Once you find the boss you know that every other room in the map are "extra", except having them unlocked gets you loads more experience.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

If there's 1 room left and its a gd and you limited, and team is full of idiots and don't know what ggt and log out and back in means, then skip it. Also if there is a pot door that no one made for yet because again team is idiot then skip it. Rather finish and save 3 mins waiting for pot than get like 1k more exp.

If there's 1 room left and its a gd and you limited, and team is full of idiots and don't know what ggt and log out and back in means, then skip it. Also if there is a pot door that no one made for yet because again team is idiot then skip it. Rather finish and save 3 mins waiting for pot than get like 1k more exp.

Group gatestone tele

What's Log out mean (in terms of dungeoneering)

back into the room?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Obviously you SHOULD open all rooms before exiting. Why would you give up all that extra exp for a floor?

Also, kill everything except dead ends, unless low on food. People don't realize that you don't have to kill ALL monsters for the +10 level mod bonus.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Obviously you SHOULD open all rooms before exiting. Why would you give up all that extra exp for a floor?

Also, kill everything except dead ends, unless low on food. People don't realize that you don't have to kill ALL monsters for the +10 level mod bonus.

You'd give up the extra xp to finish the dungeon faster, obviously, so that's why this is under discussion- which is more efficient. As far as anyone can tell from your reply, you really aren't an efficiency guy so it's not much use posting about it. Getting 10% level mod is certainly not efficient, so killing only guardian doors is the best available option, if doable(the new highest floors are very hard to completely rush).

I always finish a floor til the last door w a few exceptions:

-- Idiots forget to pick up keys

-- Whenever ML (monster limit) problems become too big of a hassle

-- a DE pot-req door that idiots didn't gate / get herb for

Btw finishing rooms doesn't only affect your bonus room bonus, it also affects your base xp i think. So it's really a lot of xp

Also: logging in & out basically resets the npc's on the map so it helps you see monsters sometimes when you're at monster limit

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

You'd give up the extra xp to finish the dungeon faster, obviously, so that's why this is under discussion- which is more efficient. As far as anyone can tell from your reply, you really aren't an efficiency guy so it's not much use posting about it. Getting 10% level mod is certainly not efficient, so killing only guardian doors is the best available option, if doable(the new highest floors are very hard to completely rush).

Ehh, I said EXCEPT dead ends.

And only idiots would leave rooms unopened (unless it requires some special tactic like potions). The bonus for opening rooms involves not only modifier but base AND prestige exp.

Also, you can just have 4 guys do the boss with 1 guy opening doors (obviously easier in a 5:4 large, probably doable in a 5:5).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

ow just thought about that today longest floor ever

found boss around 20 mins mono in beggining...

but then we got monsterlimit and all gd doors

man idk what to do with occult anymore..... i think it might be better to accually kill like 5-6 rooms then start rushing lol the food supply is so bleak in occult and also the monsterlimits happen way faster on abandoned monsterlimits usually happened a few rooms b4 boss now they can happen like in mid dungeon....log in and out is annoying stuff goes on floors and then monsters atttack ur hoodless foodless self..

mod might also matter a big more on occult tho 96k exp for floor 43 with people that killed alot versus getting the same for a 46 rush :P

so maybe i can lead a team to kill the first 5 rooms for food and antinpccap b4 getting keying

StarViv.png

What is 'monster limit'?

I havent seen this referred to before.

There is a limit to the amount of npcs that can spawn in the dungeons, so if you rush through without killing stuff you might get a Guardian door where no monsters spawn leaving you stuck.

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Ehh, I said EXCEPT dead ends.

And only idiots would leave rooms unopened (unless it requires some special tactic like potions). The bonus for opening rooms involves not only modifier but base AND prestige exp.

Also, you can just have 4 guys do the boss with 1 guy opening doors (obviously easier in a 5:4 large, probably doable in a 5:5).

Exactly, you said except dead ends when an efficient dungeoneer would say except non-guardian door rooms. There is a huge difference.

And really, this thread is to discuss if only an idiot would not open all doors or that it might actually be efficient to do so, and it's not always black and white. If you leave 2 bonus rooms that require 100+ levels to do and suffer 1% bonus room penalty which could take 5 mins for you to do, it's actually be more efficient to end the dungeon. At the same time, if you find the boss in 10 minutes and can finish the dungeon in ~13 minutes for 50% xp, would you? It might actually be worth it with the chance of death, monster limit or team drama. Getting the maximum amount of xp per dungeon is not what efficiency is about, getting the maximum amount of xp in an hour is more of what it is about, and you seem to be confusing the two.

Clearing everything but dead ends just takes a long time. 1 minute extra per room without a GD? No thanks. I mean, if the room has nothing but easy monsters and takes like 10 seconds to do and i'm not keying I'll do it. I'll also try to kill anything that I can 1 hit while I run by it. Why? A lot of reasons. For 1 it can help prevent the monster limit, and for 2 why not? I'm not losing time and I'm at least killing something.

Getting a 10% level mod just isn't worth it for the time that it takes. Now if it was 20% for everything killed, maybe I'd consider it. This is why shadow silk hood is so great though, because you really don't have to kill everything.

For an example of how much opening rooms affects exp, I was soloing a small and was only able to open half of the bonus rooms. End result, my experienced was almost halved compared to the floor before that where I opened all bonus rooms. My base exp was like 700 compared to 1300. That's a 50% difference and it takes less time to open all doors than it does to clear all rooms of monsters.

Now, I will skip rooms every so often - if we can't find the key for the room needed and its only like 1 room possible meh just do the boss. There are rooms that are impossible which you have to skip too but that's not your choice.

As someone mentioned earlier most bosses are easy to 4 man in a 5 man team - though some require a decent amount of food. Others are a joke (unholy cursebearer I'm looking at you). This is a good idea to do when you have a little bit of the dungeon left and your keyer can go do work while the rest kill the boss quickly.

Now for c1ing, that's your choice. However, with 47 prestige, even a f1 5:5 large will give you about 45k experience. f30 gives about 63k with 45 prestige, I can say that. You can pretty much large anything you want. I will say that c1 in f2p is definitely really easy.

Off topic: I was randomly soloing c6 small on the high floors for prestige and found that runebound behemoth is super overpowered on a solo :| no matter what I do I die many times, and I had it multiple times. Doesn't help that if you deactivate crystals while its using the spec it doesn't work.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Just commenting on clearing policy:

If you:

-- for whatever reason, don't use protect prays

-- have no food whatsoever, and have no money or fishing spots

-- [-r] entire team doesn't have hoods

-- are approaching monster limit

(Note how extenuating these circumstances are)

Then I would consider clearing SOME (not all) rooms but d/e's for safety and food drops.

Otherwise, if you know how to tank (i.e. TURN ON A PROTECTION PRAYER AND SAFE, LOL), you should rush everything.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top