Partyhats

Star_Fox

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partyhats. Are they worth it anymore?

Hell yeah.

You will notice that the top 4 partyhats (green,red,white,blue) exceeds the maximum cash limit to buy them with the addition of junk that must be compensated for trade. What do you think about this?

Well, I blame the game, not the player. I know the street prices thing is hard to work with but there is nothing we can do.

Is it fair for partyhat owners to hoard their glory in owning these trinkets and restrict on selling back for profit?

All is fair in love and war. Selling back does not give you any profit. I doubt I will ever sell my hat for money because making cash is so easy compared to buying a new hat.

are there any solutions in "fixing" this problem to where partyhats can be distributed again?

Fix the way GE works, rise the price every geupdate 20mil closer to the street price and watch partyhats selling in ge again once they reach their true value. Trust me, they won't even reach 1.5bil that way.

I'm sorry if I offended any merchants/phat owners out there. I own a green partyhat myself so please bare with me.

I am not offended when you sell me your partyhat for ge price for "profits" :thumbsup:

Is it fair for partyhat owners to hoard their glory in owning these trinkets and restrict on selling back for profit?

hoard

this doesn't exist to the extent you and others assert that it does

the solution is to have more frequent price updates, wider margins for min-max, or just reintroducing free trade

none of those will happen

--

also you can still get a partyhat, 1.4b cash can buy you a purple with NO MERCHANTING required, you then just have to get rid of the junk

I honestly don't care for them like I use to, I'd rather invest money into skills than buy a silly hat that does nothing.

Yes throw it into a silly skill that does nothing makes a whole lot more sense.

Skills are worthless unless you value showing off levels, while party hats show off wealth and INCREASE your wealth at the same time.

that is kind of biased. don't you think?

I liked partyhats and all rares a lot more when they were worth several mills and kept on dropping.

Atleast you bought one back then because you wanted to own one. Prices were most likely to drop, so the ones buying one did it for thing other than to earn money later.

Now, it's a very disgusting market, imo.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

I don't like it when people try to make partyhat owners look like greedy hoarders. Most of us have been playing for a very long time and view partyhats as a trophy more special than any 99. It's the broken GE along with inflation that makes this problem, not greed. Sheesh.

lalalasig2.png

Well, that's the way things go. Inflation will never stop in a game like this, and eventually, the buying power of gp will become so weak that we'll hit the max trade limit.

How should we go about fixing the problem... perhaps adjust the GE a bit. If there's a massive difference in buy and sell offers, update the GE for that specific item.

I don't think it matters, once someone owns an item it's up to them if they want to resell it and at what price they want to sell it for. I really don't see the problem, it's not as if partyhats are useful items that can improve gameplay/make the game easier (i.e. divine spirit shields) and even with them I don't think there's really a problem :/

ichigosig2da4.jpg

I find it totally fair that they make the partyhat prices skyrocket, in fact if there were no street prices, the partyhats would obviously be less sought, which would suck imo. There will only be less partyhats in the game, and it's only fair that it takes skill and massive amounts of finances to get a hold of one, because of the massive respect and prestige you receive from having one.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

which 99's will return your investment on them *if you save up to buy 99 skills instead of buying rares*?

-Smithing? (Nope)

-Fletching? (Nope)

-Construction? (Nope)

-Farming? (Nope)

-Firemaking? (Nope)

-Crafting? (Nope)

-Cooking?(yes - powertraining cooking to 94 then cooking sharks on days that they are profitable will return your initial investment, however small cost to level and small profit at the end)

Did I miss any?

The most common arguement against party hats is they are vanity items with no use. While this is true people overlook that they are vanity items that RISE in value overtime therefor they are as much for looks as for investing.

So to answer the question, no its not biased at all.

Skill levels do rise in value over time. Prayer and herblore are prime examples.

The only problem with party hats per se is that there are too many wannabee egalitarians playing the game. I'd never sell mine - it's a treasured souvenir of days gone by. But I'll never have the money to actually buy one.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

As Lalala said, they are considered trophies to those who didn't buy them just because they were rising. It's like an untradeable event item: you wear it for the sole purpose of showing what you have accomplished. This applies to the majority of partyhat owners. However, the majority of partyhats are held among a select group of players, who hoard the item only to make profit. There always be people like this everywhere you go, but rarely will they make it impossible to achieve something. Remember all they want in money, and if you offer enough they'll gladly give you the hat they have no really attachment to. A broken system and a massive increase in the amount of gold per player has caused these hats to skyrocket. More and more people can afford their trophy now, and more and more people want what they've always wanted. Personally, I have always wanted a white. I bought it for 252.6M back when they were crashing junk. I was told I was stupid and it was a waste of money (heck I still hear that), but it was my money and I wanted that hat. Later in RuneScape, I wanted a red, so I worked my rear off for it. To my amazement, I managed to get another white. Instead of taking two reds for a white, I traded a friend who owned a red and made their dream come true. But I digress. There is no easy fix to this situation; however, partyhats are not impossible to buy, it just takes a lot more work than just making gold, which is very easy these days. A few weeks of corping could potentially land you a shield that can be traded for one of the three lower p hats and from there you can make your way up with some dedication. The system is broken, but it's not impossible to by-pass it. If you really want a partyhat you'll work for it no matter what it takes; it's as simple as that.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I don't like it when people try to make partyhat owners look like greedy hoarders. Most of us have been playing for a very long time and view partyhats as a trophy more special than any 99.

Yup, to me partyhats is what makes the skillcape worth getting. More people will get "your" skillcape as the game goes on, partyhats set your outfit apart. I know everyone has an attack cape, I want one to match my red (and eventually slayer, but that's more of a really long term goal lol). To be seen as a hoarder because you never intend to sell is a little sad. Making geepees and buying skillcapes is easy now, a diamond phat is forever.

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

Guest jrhairychest

Partyhats, as we know it are impossible to obtain through normal means of saving up $$ and finally buying that must have item...The

price established for partyhats are exorbitantly high to shun away from the public market. Now what we have are unofficial street prices

to determine what partyhats are worth. You will notice that the top 4 partyhats (green,red,white,blue) exceeds the maximum cash

limit to buy them with the addition of junk that must be compensated for trade. What do you think about this? As far as I

can remember, there were NO specific situation like this. Ever.

Is it fair for partyhat owners to hoard their glory in owning these trinkets and restrict on selling back for profit? More importantly,

are there any solutions in "fixing" this problem to where partyhats can be distributed again?

I'm sorry if I offended any merchants/phat owners out there. I own a green partyhat myself so please bare with me.

Good post this.

I don't own one and I don't think I ever will, but I'll still live in hope I spose. I can understand the rises to a point - It's a rare item and so should be treated accordingly including the G.E price for it. IMO both players and Jagex are to blame for this debacle:

Players - Greed is a major part and I also don't go along with this 'street price' thing either. It's just another way of trying to inflate prices way beyond their game value for these types of items. Its pure greed no matter which way you try to justify it.

Jagex - I don't often blame Jagex for things but in this case they've got things a little skewed. They didn't like players setting a street price for mint cakes or Mjiolners (sorry for the spelling) so they stopped both of those in their tracks pretty quickly with some rather hilarious updates. But at the same time they allow players to set street prices for rares. IMO they should either allow both or disallow both. It doesn't help that Jagex condones junk trading too.

I would agree that the G.E prices for rares like phats should have been set at a more realistic value. However if they had we'd still have this G.E. price vs street price debacle because inevitably the greed sets in once more with players <_< . Sad but true.

Partyhats can only get rarer, I love my red+white+blue set. You get alot of respect for your accomplishment, and it's great to own something that you know is actually rare and limited (unlike skillcapes). I'd say it's worth it.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

Seriously it is a silly hat. If I ever do own a partyhat, i would buy one then quit. Why wouldn't I waste my money on something more useful. Bronze meds give more bonuses. If you want to show that you have been around for a long time, whip out your Easter bunny ears.

Manitstinks.gif

lolud0.pnglol2ni3.png