Behind The Scenes - December

Jon Arcane

Christmas sale on little green transparent shields.

Rebirth of barrows armour.

Return of the "OFMG DEFENSE IS OVERPOWERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I will be amused by the damage reduction update.

divines wont crash much, they'll still be very powerful. but who knows, we can only speculate at this point wrt item pricings.

we don't know if barrows or arma/bandos will have more reduction

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats really stupid about this is its going to ruin tanking. Now you're just gonna have people sitting in dhide praying melee the whole time and soaking a little range and a lot of mage with dhide being as cheap as it is.

Not necessarily. I don't think that the soaking is going to be as high as we think. Considering DG shields already soak so little...

Anyway, i think this is one of the best updates in years. Possibly the best since... Uh, a long time.

If the dragon defender is good enough, we might start seeing dragon pures come out in plentiful amounts. And if it's strength bonus is higher then or equal to the DFS, it'll start crashing. Right into the price range where i can buy it... Ehehe...

Oh, *ehem* I plan on getting the Dragon defender the day it comes out.

Oh! Damage soaking!

Tbh, i think this is a step into the right direction for fixing the combat triangle. Sure, a lot of people aren't going to like it. But in the long run, it's for the best. What kind of MMO have you played that armor only effects how often you get hit? I haven't played any that i can recall besides RuneScape. In most of them, armor effects damage removal, not consistency.

And now... Rushing is all but obliterated... :twisted:

But i also need to decide if i should get rid of my claws in case they crash...

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

I don't like this.

Yes, why don't we make boss hunting EVEN EASIER than it already is, just to satisfy the PKers who always get their way. PKing is RS, remember. :rolleyes: I want to be able to solo 5 corp beasts per trip and 200 Bandos kills per trip!!1

Claws might dip a little but then I expect they'll go back up, since three of the four hits are at or below 200 damage. Now, DFS is what I am curious about. The advent of the Dragon Defender might cause the price to crash hard, but on the other hand the DFS might have amazing damage soaking too... So it's hard to tell how the market will respond.

td2sig.jpg

Even if the dfs ends up soaking a lot, it still only applies to hits over 200, so for the most part, somebody using a ddef (yeah, let's call it that) will be more concerned with dealing ridiculous amounts of damage in PvM.

On the other hand, ss might be taking a price hit.

8f14270694.jpg

Dragon defender sounds awesome, I really hope the monster you kill is individual (like an individual boss like Jad) and not multiple NPCs like the rune defender. Does anyone else remember when the rune defender came out? It was nearly impossible to get kills to get the defender.

Also the damange absorbtion is nice, but it is still limited to 200+LP. In pvp that may be significant, but in PvP there are few monsters that hit over 200 (besides Bosses), effectively elimiinating the usefulness of a wide range of absorbing armor as the armors that would be useful to absorb damage are isolated to the best ones anyways used for boss pvm

By reading the update, the normal cyclops will NOT drop the dragon defender rather we're either going to have to fight this uber powerful cyclop

to get one or it's going to be introduced as a boss where players have to compete to get it.

Content wise, not too much in store for a DG prod such as myself.

If damage soaking doesn't end up applying to daemonheim equipment, I'm probably not going to care about it :P

(if it applies to daemonheim equipment, I sure hope it doesn't apply to forgottens)

I don't think it will apply to forgottens, remember JaGeX said that they are doing this because we need to maximize damage to monsters with more than 990 hp (Like Graar, Corp, or forgotten warriors) but still be able to take some hits in pvp.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I'd hope it'd be a single-player room (like Bork) but i fear this won't be the case.

*stocks up on extremes*

Regardless, I went, killed my armor a few times, and got 1k tokens. On the off-chance that this requires ordinary tokens. I'll be ready. ^_^

Tbh they SHOULD give bosses damage soaking. Have you been to GWD recently? With ovl, chaotics, and turmoil any of the three melee bosses dies within under ten seconds of spawning, and Kree doesn't usually last more than 30 seconds against a team with xrange + rigour. Killing what were meant to be the toughest most rewarding bosses in the game in a matter of seconds is ludicrous. 255(0) HP isn't nearly enough to balance out the power of our weapons...

td2sig.jpg

Tbh they SHOULD give bosses damage soaking. Have you been to GWD recently? With ovl, chaotics, and turmoil any of the three melee bosses dies within under ten seconds of spawning, and Kree doesn't usually last more than 30 seconds against a team with xrange + rigour. Killing what were meant to be the toughest most rewarding bosses in the game in a matter of seconds is ludicrous. 255(0) HP isn't nearly enough to balance out the power of our weapons...

jagex is hesitant to release new bosses b/c they think most of the demand for bosses should be satisfied by DG

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

yall seem to bee upset about the damgage soaking stuff, but i'm more worried about the Christmas event. jagex better not force players into playing that stupid miinigame in order to do the event. i know they wanted to do something nontraditional, which is ok. but for the love of guthix please dont make me go through one of those lame dungeons. if they make it a group event i might not even do it this year. which is pretty sad consider that holiday events are probably the only reason i play RS anymore.

ASR_logo_white.png

wannarace.jpg

jagex is hesitant to release new bosses b/c they think most of the demand for bosses should be satisfied by DG

Pretty much par for the course Jagex logic <_< And I meant revamping the current bosses, not adding new ones.

td2sig.jpg

One thing I'm a little concerned about is the magic absorbtion on hides. Meleers can equip black dragonhide or Karil's without suffering any attack penalties and they will soak magic damage aswell, which isn't supposed to happen.

Why is it not supposed to happen? Mages can wear melee armor and soak range damage, can't they? Also, i think people are overthinking with the damage absorptions- The dungeoneering shields really suck, and they'll likely have the highest single item values for those(apart from ely/divine). So yes, while you could get like 30% damage absorbed(with full armor), a 50 from magic would still be 41.

And get -20 Mage Bonus. Not only does like 90% of mage bonus come from your ARMOUR, but melee armour has negative mage attack. For many armour combinations, 100% of your melee bonuses come from your weapon. Or a defender, which you can wear with hides. Other items that give attack bonuses for melee (such as fire cape, onyx ring, barrow gloves) aren't class specific anyways; and can still be worn with hides.

but now I'm curious.

if something attacks you with a magical ranged attack for example.

Do you need soak magic or soak range to reduce damage for it?

Er, what do you MEAN a magical ranged attack? Magic hits from a distance like mage o.O

Really wonder what the damage soaking will be like. Especially considering the DG shields. But it's also possble Jagex realized they suck, but that the concept is useful, so they're increasing the DG shields as well as armour in general. Who knows.

yall seem to bee upset about the damgage soaking stuff, but i'm more worried about the Christmas event. jagex better not force players into playing that stupid miinigame in order to do the event. i know they wanted to do something nontraditional, which is ok. but for the love of guthix please dont make me go through one of those lame dungeons. if they make it a group event i might not even do it this year. which is pretty sad consider that holiday events are probably the only reason i play RS anymore.

Did you READ about it, exactly? "snowball fighting, snowman decorations, ice skating and even more seal sliding!"

I don't get the impression we'll be doing much inside there. Of course, we don't know how they'll implement it, but still. From the sounds of it I wouldn't be worried.

Think it'd be great if the GW bosses got some absorbtion too. As someone mentioned, Jagex is hesitant about bosses because DG is supposed to satisfy our boss demands; but half of boss killing is drops, which you don't get in DG. Maybe the occasional primal drop, bind it, end of story. Nothing sellable or useable in any type of PVP scenario. Not to mention DG made bosses even easier, a long with curses, extremes, etc. I've said this before, we need new bosses tailored to those types of players. Hell, except for Corp which eats summoning familiars, we haven't had a new boss since before summoning came out.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

One thing I'm a little concerned about is the magic absorbtion on hides. Meleers can equip black dragonhide or Karil's without suffering any attack penalties and they will soak magic damage aswell, which isn't supposed to happen.

Why is it not supposed to happen? Mages can wear melee armor and soak range damage, can't they? Also, i think people are overthinking with the damage absorptions- The dungeoneering shields really suck, and they'll likely have the highest single item values for those(apart from ely/divine). So yes, while you could get like 30% damage absorbed(with full armor), a 50 from magic would still be 41.

And get -20 Mage Bonus. Not only does like 90% of mage bonus come from your ARMOUR, but melee armour has negative mage attack. For many armour combinations, 100% of your melee bonuses come from your weapon. Or a defender, which you can wear with hides. Other items that give attack bonuses for melee (such as fire cape, onyx ring, barrow gloves) aren't class specific anyways; and can still be worn with hides.

The strength of melee is high defense against melee and ranged, and then they wear hides, they have neither. Thus yeah, they will be more resistant to mage, but be extremely vulnerable to the other classes. As it has been said time and again, the strength of melee is the independence of armor, but the catch is the very short reach, thus being frozen means being completely useless, and with the accuracy of mage, melee doesn't have any chance against mage even with hides.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I have a feeling this month will end up being a colossal cluster****. There is so much this month that hinges entirely on Jagex's implentation, and given their track record... I'm not confident.

1) I expect that, in typical illogical fashion, Jagex will release a room with four or five of these new uber-cyclopses in a single-combat zone, with the dragon defender being an extremely rare drop... And it won't be instanced. Therefore, until close to Christmas it will probably be a ****ing joke trying to get a Dragon Defender. I highly doubt Jagex has learned their lesson on that. Hell, it seems like they stated in the past that they actually believe "competition" is good for the community. Newsflash: all it does is create a bitter cut-throat atmosphere and result in a LOT of unhappy people.

2) They completely ignored all the scathing criticism they received about the hit-splats when they first released images of it many months ago. Nice. Anyway, this update's success amounts to balance, something Jagex is terrible at finding. By creating a precedent with such difficult-to-obtain items as the Dungeoneering Kiteshields, Jagex has set the bar very low for damage absorption. Either all the new bonuses for armor are set low to ensure these shields remain worthwhile (lol), therefore meaning the overall damage absorption is worthless... Or they give barrows/bandos a high damage absorption and make the shields even more worthless than they already are. Also, the whole "d hides on meleers" issue will likely be a big one here, unless they give magic robes melee absorption.

td2sig.jpg

Dragon defender = gf void deflector if it gives more strength. Only use I can find with deflector if that's the case is TDS for range/melee.

Yeah, because there is only melee void... ignoring the fact that deflector is more range/mage based...

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Dragon defender = gf void deflector if it gives more strength. Only use I can find with deflector if that's the case is TDS for range/melee.

Yeah, because there is only melee void... ignoring the fact that deflector is more range/mage based...

[sarcasm]There is another combat style than melee ?![/sarcasm]

+7 str? +8 str?

+30 slash,stab,crush (attack and defence)?

Can anyone confirm my guesses are pretty much in logical range of what the dragon defender stats will be?

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563