Behind The Scenes - December

Jon Arcane

Join us as we kick start the festive season with the latest Behind the Scenes' date=' packed full of gift-wrapped updates for members and free-players alike. Feast your eye on a cyclossus, dragon defenders, brand new hit splats, damage soaking and a huge new piece of seasonal Christmas content set in Daemonheim!

[b']Warriors' Guild Improvements/Dragon Defender[/b]

On the top floor of the Warriors' Guild, Kamfreena awaits the latest batch of adventurers strong enough to join the guild's elite ranks. Of course, tales of the rare defender weapons that her 'pet' cyclopes hold are legendary, but new stories are beginning to emerge surrounding the cyclossus, the toughest, meanest and most dangerous one-eyed hombre east of White Wolf Mountain.

More than just a ferocious temper lies in wait for those brave warriors, for a new 'eyeball-orientated' costume mask and, of course, the dragon defender itself should soon be available to those who step into the ring. Eager to let bloodthirsty combatants into the fray, the guild's other custodians are planning to adjust many of the challenges found within the guild and offer an additional reward to anyone who attempts them all.

Damage Soaking and New Hit Splats

We have recognised an imbalance between the potential damage per minute (DPM) and damage capacity (DC) of higher-level players. The rate of damage that you can deal at high levels is far greater than the rate of damage you can withstand, especially when in a multiplayer environment. NPCs and boss monsters can deal with this issue because their life points can reach far beyond 990, but players' life points cannot. Dealing with this imbalance will be done in several ways, with the first of those ways being introduced this month in the form of damage soaking.

In what will be a huge addition to the Defence skill and defensive equipment, we're aiming to add damage soaking stats (currently only applied to the chaotic, eagle-eye and farseer kiteshields) to the majority of head, body, leg and shield slot equipment. Damage soaking will help reduce all incoming damage values over 200 life points, with higher grades of equipment offering a greater percentage of 'soak', and with members' equipment offering the greatest percentage of all.

We'll also looking forward to releasing a brand new set of hit splats to give you better information about any combat you're in. We’ve had some great conversations in the forums after the dev blog about hit splats a few months ago and have changed our approach thanks to your excellent feedback. Here’s a screenshot of what they will look like:

hit_splats_december_2010.jpg

Once launched, you’ll be able to:

* Identify your character's damage in multiplayer situations, so you'll know which splats are yours when fighting boss monsters with your clan or group.

* See visually how much damage your armour is soaking.

* Identify the type of damage being dealt to you, allowing you to adjust armour and prayers more accurately.

* Identify reflected damage.

* Use the 'max hit splat' to easily spot when you’re dealing huge swathes of damage.

O Little Town of Daemonheim (Christmas 2010)

For this year's yuletide celebrations, we're hoping it will be a very merry Fremmy Christmas, as we get invited to Daemonheim for a traditionally non-traditional RuneScape holiday event. Join us for seal sliding, icicle lighting, snow angels and much, much more as the Fremennik try to bring Christmas cheer to the dungeons of Daemonheim.

If you're successful, you’ll be invited to attend the Heimland Games for snowball fighting, snowman decorations, ice skating and even more seal sliding! Arp, arp! A multitude of costume rewards and a shiny new emote are just waiting to be yours, but remember: a heim crab is for life, not just for Christmas!

In other news...

We will be making some adjustments to the skill targets update we added last month, adding the 'percentage complete' number to the mouse-over information. We are also releasing the new-look dragon scimitar, as voted for by you in the Guaranteed Content Poll.

Finally, a Merry Christmas from Jagex and the RuneScape team! Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

What is a 'Behind the Scenes' article?

Behind the scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates which we hope to launch in the coming month.

This is, however, only a plan, not a promise that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so, sometimes, things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren’t afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be the best month in the history of RuneScape. Only because of that sexy Dragon Defender <3

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Damage Soaking and New Hit Splats

Damage soaking

Soaking

Stuff in water is soaking

OMG!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!!!! Sailing @@@@@@@@@@@@@

Back on topic

With regards to the dragon defender, how much better do you think it'll be compaired to the rune and willl it have a special?

Looking forward to this month

Glacors Drops - 33 shards.

Armadyl Drops - 1 Chestplate. 1 Hilt. 2 gloves . 2 Skirts.

Tdc.png

I'll lol if either the defender or the new damage reduction armour is available to me , because my account isnt overpowered enough already.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

we will never launch an update before it is ready.

*cough*summoning*cough*

Also, I wonder when the smithing update that was supposed to be this year will come? These look pretty awesome and will tide me over, I wonder what the "elite" warriors guild requirements will be or if it will be a fight-caves-esque type bossfight open to anyone.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Looks like one of the most promising months in a long time.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

That damage soaking update could be useful, but it looks like it is not coming to low level armours.

It wouldnt be very useful for low level armour anyway because it only soaks up damage if the hit is over 200. So it won't change a great deal for slaying and low leveled players but it will make the difference to pkers and monster hunters

Dr_Paul_Leet.png

Not gonna lie, I'm excited for this one :thumbup:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

12/8/10 will be fun for dragon defender.

12/15/10 death of pking we want old damage back can't prod 750s with ags anymore sadface :(?

Meh, its gonna kill rushing which is a good thing imo. But it's going to make getting a kill ridiculous now; we've already got yaks. It might balance the combat triangle a bit though....

Korasi won't be able to hit crap on rags though. And all melee will still hit beast on mystic. Hybriding is going to be stupid now though, every hit gets reduced thats above 200 except if you barrage on melee armour.

Whats really stupid about this is its going to ruin tanking. Now you're just gonna have people sitting in dhide praying melee the whole time and soaking a little range and a lot of mage with dhide being as cheap as it is.

Bottom line is I question how good this update will be for pking. If it's bad then jagex better listen for the improvements cause I have the feeling its gonna be bad. I have the feeling its going to be especially bad for f2p if they get the update too.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

[hide=SPOILERS, QUest Done, Rewards, Not done by me, Cramulet info]ScreenShot621.2.png

Cramulet is M'speak amulet + ghostspeak amulet combined, testing other amulets as well, trying camulet right now[/hide]

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

I'm an avid dragon equipment collector, as such I often deal with large level bosses that deal huge amounts of damage.

MFW

- Dragon defender

- Damage soaking for hits over 200

- Hitsplat update

jizz.jpg

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Oh. My. God. [bleep]ing EPIC. Have to say, think I'm looking forward to this defense update. We've needed one for [bleep]ing ages. I think we should lock the "too much damage" topic now. Speaking of which, I actually posted how the concept of how the chaotic shields worked was ingenious, just the numbers were wrong....

Also, watch divine crash now.

Also looking forward to a dragon defender.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

This update is looking extremely nice even before its out, im actually, for once, excited about the update wondering how the whole damage soaking will be, maybe itll b a game changer too who knows...

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg