Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

I'm real late to the party here, but I cannot express how much Jagex should do this. It would actually get me playing again. And even PK'ing, which I haven't done since about 2007/2008.

The yes votes have a commanding lead.... i think we will win the free trade back.

i am so excited about this.

I have been playing MMORPGs for almost 15 years and i have never heard of a dev team that would roll back updates like this.

As far as i know it just dosent get done.

Cheers to Jagax if this rolls out.

Fools_Taco.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea for a "new" wilderness...

Keep everything as it is, quests, minigames etc. Revenants remain.

There will be a toggle option to change from pker to non-pker. This option can only be changed once every 15 days.

In order to stop people from a) changing to non-pker when losing a fight and b) changing to pker as an ambush the switch takes 15 minutes to take effect. You must be logged in during this timer and you cannot switch once you are in the wilderness.

When starting a quest that requires going into the wild you get a free pker switch even if you changed within the 15 day rule. If you do not take the free toggle then you have to wait as normal.

Revenants will attack nonpkers but not pkers. I think that because revenants would not attack pkers that some people would choose this as their option and instead lookout and evade pkers the old way on the rare times they use the wildy. Afterall not every location on every world is full of pkers ready to take you out.

What do people think of that?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

99% of the skillers/clue hunters will still not choose the pker option.. So still no (or only very minimal) amounts of value will enter the pk-territory!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

There will be a toggle option to change from pker to non-pker. This option can only be changed once every 15 days.

In order to stop people from a) changing to non-pker when losing a fight and b) changing to pker as an ambush the switch takes 15 minutes to take effect. You must be logged in during this timer and you cannot switch once you are in the wilderness.

When starting a quest that requires going into the wild you get a free pker switch even if you changed within the 15 day rule. If you do not take the free toggle then you have to wait as normal.

Revenants will attack nonpkers but not pkers. I think that because revenants would not attack pkers that some people would choose this as their option and instead lookout and evade pkers the old way on the rare times they use the wildy. Afterall not every location on every world is full of pkers ready to take you out.

IMO, that'd be even more complicated than just reimplementing the 04-07 system.

I can also see problems with people switching to pk to try it out, and then getting killed and complaining about the wait time.

Or people wanting to do a quest and switching to nonpk, then they'd have to wait to switch back. Could get frustrating for both camps.

Tbh, the wilderness would act like a switch. If you want to pk, go north, if you don't, stay south. Very simple imo.

Staurolite.png

What's wrong with the way it was before? I don't remember ever having trouble dealing with people in the wild. If I seen a white dot I logged out or I ran and ate sharks. Jagex already stated all of the stuff skillers do in the wilderness that was added after the wild was removed will be relocated so that is not a problem.

Low_C.png

Pkers could always... ya know... try killing other pkers rather than killing a clue hunter for a spade and a few tuna. What is the pker obsession with killing defenceless people with no drops of any value?

As for skillers they could still be attacked and killed by revenants (and possibly dangerous random events) and pkers could loot the graves.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Pkers could always... ya know... try killing other pkers rather than killing a clue hunter for a spade and a few tuna. What is the pker obsession with killing defenceless people with no drops of any value?

As for skillers they could still be attacked and killed by revenants (and possibly dangerous random events) and pkers could loot the graves.

They need to fuel their food supply!

Then they came for me

It's different in the wildy now because of all the powerful new weapons and potions. A shark ain't gonna do diddly squat against dragon claws etc

As for people complaining about being killed while they switched incorrectly well that's tuff.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

In 2007-, dragon claws and Korasis's Sword didn't exist, and AGS was an extreme luxury item owned by few. Face it, clue hunting will be much harder in the "new wildy" than it was pre-2007 because one-itemers are MUCH more powerful than they were during that time period.

td2sig.jpg

I think you just played on RSC for too long :P

Pkers do fight other Pkers. It's not like all the PKers are in one clan and they're universally against skillers.

In 2007-, dragon claws and Korasis's Sword didn't exist, and AGS was an extreme luxury item owned by few. Face it, clue hunting will be much harder in the "new wildy" than it was pre-2007 because one-itemers are MUCH more powerful than they were during that time period.

Actually I would argue that AGS benifits more when 1 iteming. Mainly because it has sheer power. While claws benifit more from additional boosts from other equipment. Even then, it's pretty hard to 2 spec someone.

Also, korasi's can only spec once. Unless they bring a spec restore, in which case it might be dangerous. Korasis is pretty cheap and powerful, but hey what can we do about it?

Staurolite.png

I hear nets are cheap... or if they do barbarian skills they can catch sharks barehanded without any tools or bait...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

PKers hunted clue hunters for the same reasons that PKers hunted RCers: for the lulz and/or because they sucked at PKing too bad to kill people who were actually geared to fight back. There were some people who were actually good at PKing who still hunted skillers just to make them rage, but I'd venture to say that an equal amount hunted skillers because they lacked the skills to compete with their own kind and wanted the ego boost gained by killing somebody.

td2sig.jpg

PKers hunt skillers for the same reasons that PKers hunted RCers: for the lulz and/or because they sucked at PKing too bad to kill people who were actually geared to fight back. There were some people who were actually good at PKing who still hunted skillers just to make them rage, but I'd venture to say that an equal amount hunted skillers because they lacked the skills to compete with their own kind and wanted the ego boost gained by killing somebody.

Well, they are allowed to do that, because after all, it is the wilderness.

Did skillers feel they owned the wilderness? That they shouldn't be attacked because they're "skillers"? All this time, I've been sympathizing with some of the people on here who said that PKers could be [wagon] sometimes, but all this constant complaining about something that was meant to happen... :wall:

Look, you close the warning box, step over level 1, and you have a chance of being killed by another player. Whether or not he's nice or a douche doesn't matter, he's allowed to attack you. If you die, that means you came unprepared.

You could gear up and fight back. See that RC pker over there? Fight him, make sure he never messes with you again, make sure he gives you back that glory amulet and knows whos boss.

Staurolite.png

PKers hunt skillers for the same reasons that PKers hunted RCers: for the lulz and/or because they sucked at PKing too bad to kill people who were actually geared to fight back. There were some people who were actually good at PKing who still hunted skillers just to make them rage, but I'd venture to say that an equal amount hunted skillers because they lacked the skills to compete with their own kind and wanted the ego boost gained by killing somebody.

Did skillers feel they owned the wilderness? That they shouldn't be attacked because they're "skillers"? All this time, I've been sympathizing with some of the people on here who said that PKers could be [wagon] sometimes, but all this constant complaining about something that was meant to happen... :wall:

Look, you close the warning box, step over level 1, and you have a chance of being killed by another player. Whether or not he's nice or a douche doesn't matter, he's allowed to attack you. If you die, that means you came unprepared.

You could gear up and fight back. See that RC pker over there? Fight him, make sure he never messes with you again, make sure he gives you back that glory amulet and knows whos boss.

Never said that skillers should feel entitled to be left alone in the Wilderness--- in the past, the Abyss was balanced because it offered a great increase in output but at the cost of increased risk due to PKers. I was just explaining the rationale behind why some PKers choose to target defenseless prey instead of targeting people who are tougher battles but offer the potential for better rewards.

And FWIW, fighting back against PKers is counter-productive to efficient skilling. If people didn't want to die to Abyss PKers, they should wear some of the pro gear I saw some people wear; Bear heads, black d hides, glory, barrow gloves, ancient staff, mystic boots, god cape. All stuff that maximized mage defense. Sure, it made it a bit more risky but they were almost never PKed.

td2sig.jpg

Never said that skillers should feel entitled to be left alone in the Wilderness--- in the past, the Abyss was balanced because it offered a great increase in output but at the cost of increased risk due to PKers. I was just explaining the rationale behind why some PKers choose to target defenseless prey instead of targeting people who are tougher battles but offer the potential for better rewards.

And FWIW, fighting back against PKers is counter-productive to efficient skilling. If people didn't want to die to Abyss PKers, they should wear some of the pro gear I saw some people wear; Bear heads, black d hides, glory, barrow gloves, ancient staff, mystic boots, god cape. All stuff that maximized mage defense. Sure, it made it a bit more risky but they were almost never PKed.

I gained to 88 rc through abbys crafting: and well you were pked.. every once in a while. Though it was something you just took for granted - you just subtracted a glory + black dhide set every X rounds. (And I sincerelly miss that time, where also in skills risk vs reward played a big role - now skilling has no risk anymore at all). And if you really feared it you wouldn't take a glory: you would take home teleport tabs and use your mounted glory!

Then they came for me

This sounds a lot like the old RSC, except unlimited and you can't switch in the middle of combat (Lol, I remember I lost one of my switches to avoid losing full addy).

IMO it shouldn't be limited to 15 days. I'd limit it to 24 hours, just make it so you have to do it while you're logged out (the timer is a good idea). That was really the bad part about it. You could switch if you ran away right when they were chasing you.

Also, long time no see, Merc.

I hear nets are cheap... or if they do barbarian skills they can catch sharks barehanded without any tools or bait...

But why fish your own food when you can pk for it faster and have a nice little rush while doing it?

Starcraft 2 - PCTahvo.617. Message me if you want to play, always up to play with fellow Tifers.

What are they going to do about overload? If I want to kill the chaos elemental with overloads, what's preventing me from pking with it?

I don't really get why they aren't allowed anyway. They aren't much better than super pots.

Pkers thought it was unfair that you can't tell that they have overloads without highscoring them, basically, your combat wasn't affected.

What are they going to do about overload? If I want to kill the chaos elemental with overloads, what's preventing me from pking with it?

I don't really get why they aren't allowed anyway. They aren't much better than super pots.

Pkers thought it was unfair that you can't tell that they have overloads without highscoring them, basically, your combat wasn't affected.

I do see the annoyance though, Herblore's sole high level purpose is bonus combat levels - there is no extreme crafting potions just extreme combat pots. In that sense Herblore should be displayed on your combat level if you are using extremes.

Old issue though, and I am sure they wont allow extremes to be used though I wonder how they will stop someone from potting up outside the ditch and hopping over. To my knowledge pkers already do that by potting up logging out and switching to pvp worlds

This is a non issue anyway... all the babys that dont have high level herb can just level it so they can sit at the big boys table. THe rest of the poor noobs should just die and cough up their loot. Skills > all in runescape.

There shouldent be a combat level.... just a total level... issue resolved.

Anyhow i bet dollars to donughts that the smithing update they have planned would totally [bleep]ing blow with the current trade restrictions and GE limitations, hence this whole rollback thing... watch they will have a massive gamechanging update first THEN get rid of the restrictions. We all know how the overloads/herb updated went for that skill... people are still trying to recoup the cost from merchants that gouged on the GE.... THE GE CAN SMOKE A [rooster].

Fools_Taco.png

Because this ballooned so quickly (38 pages already and I have it set to 40 posts per page...) and I'm short on time, I'll apologize for restating anything that I don't currently have time to check.

I've been hoping for but never expecting anything remotely close to this since the features were first disabled. My only qualm about their reentry is that jagex (aside: they need to quit changing the capitalization of the different letters or I'll just keep refusing to capitalize any of it) has refused to keep the PvP worlds if this goes through; why shouldn't those remain as an option, and perhaps just use the same rules as the wilderness for drops but with the current level range stipulations? It's nice to be able to fight people basically anywhere you want to and also allows for an extreme case of risk vs reward in the case of seeking an uncrowded resource where somebody may choose to camp and hunt potential harvesters or killers of whatever game element happens to be there; adds a level of thrill not seen elsewhere in the game, which may be sorely missed by some. I suppose it doesn't much affect me as I rarely if ever involved myself in any form of PvP after 2007, but those times that I did indulge, my preferred and favorite method was to run around Varrock and pick off anybody I thought I could handle-- something I won't be able to do anymore the way this update is tentatively stated to launch.

Anybody else see anything like this, which is removing a feature that doesn't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive with wilderness PK that they'd like to see kept in?

Bartuccio3.png