08-Mar-2011 � Artisans Workshop

Michael

Ancient, you're the only one I've seen praising this update so far. I'm hardly a minority in saying that cheapening a skill rather than making it worthwhile is a disappointing course of action to take.

You can be happy with your smithing for babies update, but don't act as though you're speaking for the majority of experienced players.

Cool, your argument boils down to "i'm going to ignore you because you're in the minority"

Also, i'm not praising it. like you, i'm disappointed it's not the smithing equivalent of Ovls. they could have done so much more.

but i'm not complaining because i still think they did a good job and made a constructive update.

Anyway, in more important news: anyone know if RR has been patched for nex?

My argument is that this is all opinion, neither of us is objectively right. All I can say is that your opinion that making everything in the game easier and faster is good is immature and bad for the game as a whole, it's not something that can be proven.

"immature", ironic

way to nitpick at one specific word i used. opinion, whatever.

the point is that you're just making yourself look like a really negative person. and it's annoying.

don't try to argue semantics with me rofl

anyway, IS RR FIXED???????????

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I calls em as I sees em. The point is that I personally get nothing out of this update, smithing has become a crappier skill than it was, and using a cannon got more annoying. Excuse me for considering this a bad update.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

If you call Buying items and clicking Make X over and over again a challenge, you're probably dumb.

Effort is rewarded. I'd get 99 smith just to be able to open doors in dg.

You say effort is rewarded. But allow me to show you a other perspective. I used loads cash to get 99 Smithing by smithing Adamant platebodies. I leveled the skill to 99 because of Barrows repair and Dungeoneering.

Now let's look at the minigame/activity "Artisan workshop". You use more attention and get more exp right?

But you can reward effort too in other ways. By releasing new armours/weapons/items for Smithing that gives loads exp. Then players who killed bosses for cash, can use their cash on smithing items that cost alot cash.

Effort>At killing bosses

Reward>Being able to spend money to smith a expensive but very good exp smithing items.

Places where you get earn cash usually requires focus and effort.

Instead of cheaper and faster methods of leveling a skill, why not make the skill actually useful?

stop whining. this was a good update. maybe not what you expected, but it's definitely made smithing cheaper, faster, and more fun to train.

usually i'm the one bashing jagex, so if i'm telling you you're whining then you know it means something.

Not sure how much cheaper and faster it will be, considering the humongous ammount of ores you need and no resellability.

crossed_body.png

Realistically, though, they'd have a hard time implementing a OVL-type update for smithing. It's not like herblore where they had a huge range of levels to add content to. Smithing already has content up to level 99.

A few months ago we did need an armor upgrade considering the strength of weapons. That's where nex armors come in. And i'd much rather have nex than have another whole skill to train to 90+.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Realistically, though, they'd have a hard time implementing a OVL-type update for smithing.

A few months ago we did need an armor upgrade considering the strength of weapons. That's where nex armors come in. And i'd much rather have nex than have another whole skill to train to 90+.

why not have untradeable lifeboosting armour upgrades (so you can upgrade your barrows/bandos/rune/... that can be made with smithing. Just make them worse than nex armour, and you have a nicely balanced update.

Realistically, though, they'd have a hard time implementing a OVL-type update for smithing. It's not like herblore where they had a huge range of levels to add content to. Smithing already has content up to level 99.

A more easily accessible method for the general population would be a better solution than 3b+ gear. Just saiyan...

crossed_body.png

Realistically, though, they'd have a hard time implementing a OVL-type update for smithing.

why not have untradeable lifeboosting armour upgrades (so you can upgrade your barrows/bandos/rune/... that can be made with smithing. Just make them worse than nex armour, and you have a nicely balanced update.

Nex armors already have relatively low LP boost.

Smithable armors would have to be weaker than bandos/arma/barrows, so they'd have to have even lower LP boosts (to the point of being useless probably)

And an "attachment" style upgrade would be really annoying on their end. how would you implement this? what would you attach to? rune? then you run into the problem of the 10+ types of rune. barrows? it degrades.

A more easily accessible method for the general population would be a better solution than 3b+ gear. Just saiyan...

[hide=just saiyan]

SuperSaiyan.png[/hide]

You can get full virtus for less than 1b, lol. 1b is easy to get if youre a high level. no set is over 3b.

sigcopyaf.png

Has anybody checked yet to see if sacred clay hammers work (give their bonus XP) for the new smithing activities?

You must use a normal hammer.

Assuming ore prices remain on average similar to the past, adamant ceremonial swords are roughly 10gp/xp based on experience figures in the knowledge base. Hopefully either the experience figures I'm using are incorrect (i.e. this new thing about one-time bonuses can be gotten semi-frequently?), or the experience per hour is much higher than existing methods.

If neither of these things are true, then it may still be more efficient to smith adamant platebodies with sacred clay hammers. Even if it isn't what we were hoping for, Jagex has clearly gone to a lot of effort with this, so it'd be a shame for it to turn into the next charm sprites.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I hope this makes smithing affordable now, if its affordable best smithing update ever, lol if your poor like me you'd understand that these updates make skilling a lot better and anti-grinding (hopefully), now just Herb needs a nerf and I'll be happy.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

The additional methods & process of training the skill is very good & more suited to the modern, less tedious skill updates.

The problem lies in the lack of incentive & rewards.

It's all very well having a nicer way to train the skill, but the lack of purpose or reason to do so still remains the problem.

This is ultimately why the majority of "skilling" is broken in the modern game. Now everytime they revamp/overhaul/update something, they have an opportunity not only to make these methods less tedious & cost effective, but they also have an opportunity to provide reason & incentive to make use of their new content. This latter part seems to be what Jagex fail at over & over again.

Herblore Habitat is an example of where they got it right, (well the process of it, the fact 3?/10 potion rewards are useful is their lack of understanding of the game lol).

Pair a Gathering/Grind skill, with a buyable & produce a unique reward that ultimately makes it worth it to level both the gathering skill & the buyable.

Now for example; if you have to somehow mine special ore that are used in ingots, that you then used those to smith into items that gave you some form of "reputation" with rewards that gave you improvements to other skills (perhaps not combat).

As long as the XP rate is comparable & not hugely imbalanced to the traditional methods, where you can make GP or spend GP for faster XP then there are 2 alternative methods & playstyles that you can use to train for different reasons.

Back on the incentive subject or purpose of levelling a skill. Using dungeoneering as a reason is perhaps a last resort - as ALL skills are helpful in DG for doors etc & it seems a bit of a cop out as the skill itself is designed to utilize your levels from all other skills. Effigies - the fact you can have them assisted & only use 1 skill to open them, out of a pairing also makes these not much of an incentive to level them. At least for 50% of the skills.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

Seems pointless...Rewards are all self contained (apart from cannon bling which is just cosmetic), xp rates don't seem to be much, if any, better than addy plates and cost more per xp, and smithing is still pretty much useless, who goes for 99 so they can make rune plates? Dungeoneering seems to be the only practical reason to get smithing up still, it doesn't give us any incentive to train, just a new self contained method to train kind of like ivy/lrc/herblore habitat (if you ignore the juju potions) with no new benefit for high levels. I'm not someone who complains at any update for the hell of it but this one just looks like a waste of time.

Bbk.png

it'll be a while before most skills are useful, just because this game is so different than what jagex originally intended.

i see skills either as:

1) useful for opening effigies

2) helpful in keying for dungeoneering

otherwise they're basically useless. which i don't mind. as content, training skills (excluding dg) is incredibly boring and pretty much no matter what you do, it will be tedious compared to something like Nex or DG..

Now I'm depressed ;_; lvl138 and only 18m banked, apart from skill investments.

high level nowadays entails 100+ dg (all chaotics + rigour), around 80m+ in gear at least, 99 summ, 95 pray, maxed combat

i view sub 100 dg as a huge weakness. having chaotics to throw around is very convenient.

you should MH. it's at least 3m an hour. nex is around 10-20m/hr.

sigcopyaf.png

There is others ways to make Smithing useful than releasing new items for combat.

Nex armors already have relatively low LP boost.

Smithable armors would have to be weaker than bandos/arma/barrows, so they'd have to have even lower LP boosts (to the point of being useless probably)

And an "attachment" style upgrade would be really annoying on their end. how would you implement this? what would you attach to? rune? then you run into the problem of the 10+ types of rune. barrows? it degrades.

[hide=just saiyan]

SuperSaiyan.png[/hide]

You can get full virtus for less than 1b, lol. 1b is easy to get if youre a high level. no set is over 3b.

an upgrade of existing armour. Say lvl 90 smithing to upgrade your armadyl to give a 150 lp boost in total.

I don't really understand what people were expecting. Jagex just released amazing new armour, and they have added some pretty cool stuff here, it would seem. How the hell was smithing ever going to revolutionise combat?

I'm not an efficienado.

There is others ways to make Smithing useful than releasing new items for combat.

examples?

an upgrade of existing armour. Say lvl 90 smithing to upgrade your armadyl to give a 150 lp boost in total.

i agree with this. i wanted to see this.

i think their line of reasoning, like i said, is 1) it devalues nex items; 2) it's too difficult to implement given all of the current armor

sigcopyaf.png

1b is easy to get if youre a high level.

Debatable. Since you say high level I'll assume you mean getting the gp through combat. Most methods, excluding nex, are in the 4m/h range I believe. I'll be generous and say 5m/h. So 200 hours of gameplay for that 1b. Thats far from easy in my books.

It would be much easier and fun to spend 40 hours getting 200m (assuming costs similar to herblore), 50 hours smithing, and playing with untradeable armors for 110 hours.

Neltak.png