ever been *tempted* to cheat?

ixfd64

Sure I've been tempted, I've even ventured onto botting sites, and let me tell you, some of those pictures are mouth watering, hundreds of millions of gold and xp for seemingly no price. But in the end, fear of being banned will always outweigh the desire for fast and easy levels.

This. Though I've never delved into those sites.

I have been tempted to bot a few times. Never have, never will.

kazmahalfsize.png

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been said numerous times, but it seems I am going to have to say this again.

If you have a problem with any moderator actions taken, you are free to PM an administrator or another moderator, we all more than happy to help. There is also a thread currently dedicated to users telling us their problems with the forums and its moderation http://forum.tip.it/topic/291488-tif-is-bit-overermoderrated/ With an announcement for this as well, it should be clear that talking about moderator actions in this thread should not be done.

Addmission to rule breaking will always be removed whether or not a topic is asking for it or not. This is stated very clearly in the forum rules http://forum.tip.it/topic/48092-tip-it-forum-rules/

It is up to you if you admit to rule breaking. If you don't want to, you do not have to post.

So we can't talk about past rule infractions in a thread about whether you've been tempted to break rules or not. I know you guys are afraid to lose your precious little approved fansite title, but censoring a discussion seems unnecessary to me.

Anyways, I've never broken any serious rules. I drop traded 16k once from a noob account that someone randomly gave the money to to my main so I could buy the map piece for Dragon Slayer, and I used the zammy wine lure a few times. Only blackmark I have is from 2006 when I told someone to suck my dingaling :P

Never felt tempted to bot, although I probably would have bought a few million gp back in the day if I had a credit card. Wouldn't do any of that now though, as I play maybe 2 hours a week, and as a WCer I know how much of a pain bots are.

Why do my posts about duping keep getting deleted. It seems to be believed around here that duping is impossible. If that's the case, I couldn't have possibly broken any rules, because surely I can't do the impossible. (It's not impossible :wink: )

Really though, if you just go through and delete all the posts talking about any rule breaking actually being done, then all you get is a thread full of "I'd never break a rule" and that has no discussion value. Might as well lock it.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I've been tempted to RWT occasionally, but never to bot.

Althought that is because I made a special 'bot-test' account to see if the free ones are any good. Won't tell you the name, but the bots suck and I can thoroughly disreccomend them. NO harm done to anyone, but I did learn that mining is a great way to make money when starting off on a new account.

I'm not an efficienado.

Why do my posts about duping keep getting deleted. It seems to be believed around here that duping is impossible. If that's the case, I couldn't have possibly broken any rules, because surely I can't do the impossible. (It's not impossible :wink: )

Really though, if you just go through and delete all the posts talking about any rule breaking actually being done, then all you get is a thread full of "I'd never break a rule" and that has no discussion value. Might as well lock it.

Lol, we can all say, "I've been tempted," but apparently cannot say, "I's done it in the past."

Like really, what damage is done by saying, "Yeah, I botted fletching a while back"? Do Jagex and Tip.It live in cotton candy land where they believe everything and everyone is perfect and nothing goes wrong? Sitting there with their head between their knees, their eyes closed, and their fingers in their ears refusing to hear/believe other-wise. Actually... Maybe that's why Jagex is doing [bleep] all about bots.

09144a99bb.png

Frankly, given the lax nature of Jagex's response to botting (yes, I know that they have a super secret anti-bot decoder ring of justice out there!) I have been tempted to actually go out and buy a couple of botting programs.

I won't do it though because there's no "achievement" in cheating. <_<

nyuseg.png

I know damn well everyone aware of the corp glitch tried to abuse it. I don't even want to hear someone say otherwise. I also know that deep down inside everyone who didn't know about the glitch wishes they would have.

Money causes greed and brings out the worst in people. No one is of pure hearts anymore. If just in game there are thousands of people scamming and stabbing their friends in the back for personal gains. I would honestly be surprised if ANYONE in this topic has never once abused a glitch, scammed a player, or have had no thoughts against doing so.

I CAN however say that a majority of people in this topic probably never botted. Its not all that common.

6fcc8f4a14.png

BleachBaboosmall.jpg

See, I haven't got a problem with people botting. TBH, I completely understand it. The skills shouldn't be grinding. When skilling, I feel like I'm 8 years old writing lines for shooting a spitball at the teacher, doing the same thing over and over and over. They are extremely boring. Wasn't the game meant to be fun? Why must we grind for hundreds upon hundreds or hours to be able to have/reach/unlock that fun?

The problem I have is with these companies, mainly RWT, who run hundreds and hundreds of bots. Going to get a blue dragon egg and it being filled with: akfy3948, gwpt2547, witg0266, etc... All wearing the same gear, following the same path. They are ruining the game, not the people in the paragraph below.

The problem isn't the odd level 100+ who is persuaded into trying a bot, or who gets a 99 or two using one. It's the thousands of bots out there run by a single company for the sole purpose of making GPs and items to sell for IRL money.

Keeping the paragraph above in mind, that's why I disagree with the people saying, "All Jagex has to do is make people not want to bot; Make the skills fun, not grinding." That won't stop the main, big problem... Kinda like walking around to a few hotspots and banning a few bots in public to make it seem like they're doing something.

09144a99bb.png

Money causes greed and brings out the worst in people. No one is of pure hearts anymore. If just in game there are thousands of people scamming and stabbing their friends in the back for personal gains. I would honestly be surprised if ANYONE in this topic has never once abused a glitch, scammed a player, or have had no thoughts against doing so.

When you're in a game full of kids, there's plenty of betrayal and backstabbing to go around. Most don't tend to think of the consequences thoroughly. Older folk are a little better, a lot more wily and cautious. You won't find any falling for youtube-advertised keyloggers or offers of free membership. Well, not all that often.

If you wish to find those pure of heart and have never ever been tempted by their greed, then hie thee to a nunnery. Or your local monastery, if you prefer. Heh.

EDIT: @Wicked

Since Jagex apparently can't do anything short of another trade limit ragnarok, a solution would be making instanced areas where normal players can be mostly separate from the bots.

I guess that's why dungeoneering works - the bot for that barely gets anywhere from 20 to 40k exp per hour, I heard. Legitimate players forming their own teams can get double that at the very least and won't have to deal with the bot.

Tie in dungeoneering level requirements for those instanced hot spots and I'll be content.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

What exactly does RWT count as? If i paid my room-mate some in game money to run to the store for me, is that a bannable offense?

By the rules? Yes, you paid in game values for real life things. The RWT rules are ment to seperate reality & in game completely.

Will you get banned, does anyone care? - Well this is more difficult to answer, but I think everyone agrees in this case it doesn't matter.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

What exactly does RWT count as? If i paid my room-mate some in game money to run to the store for me, is that a bannable offense?

I actually gave my brother full Bandos to run to Little Caesars to grab me a pizza a few months back (Knee surgery... Couldn't walk). =/.

It would be cool to see some trees or ore similar to farming patches. You can cut yours down (And then have to wait the normal amount of time for re-spawn), but the other player's might still be there because he hasn't yet. Know what I mean? That way they may influence prices, but they aren't affecting the people around there trying to train.

09144a99bb.png

I actually gave my brother full Bandos to run to Little Caesars to grab me a pizza a few months back (Knee surgery... Couldn't walk). =/.

It would be cool to see some trees or ore similar to farming patches. You can cut yours down (And then have to wait the normal amount of time for re-spawn), but the other player's might still be there because he hasn't yet. Know what I mean? That way they may influence prices, but they aren't affecting the people around there trying to train.

This reminds me of the time my son showed me a post in the WoW forums wherein some young woman offered certain services in exchange for a certain kind of "mount" within the game ...

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

I've always been of the mindset that the risk of botting outweighs the reward for me personally; I wouldn't want to risk my account. I've considered selling my account before for a decent amount of RL cash, but I decided against it in the end and I'm glad I still have my account to enjoy the game with.

I know damn well everyone aware of the corp glitch tried to abuse it. I don't even want to hear someone say otherwise. I also know that deep down inside everyone who didn't know about the glitch wishes they would have.

I CAN however say that a majority of people in this topic probably never botted. Its not all that common.

Your post is pretty cynical. If I was online at the time of the corp glitch and somebody told me that Corp dropped sigils more frequently now if you wore a ring of wealth, or even told me that the ring of wealth bonus was implemented to stack in clans, I might have gone. However, if somebody told me it was glitched I would not have gone, and if I did go and started seeing back-to-back drops, I would have left after either 3 or 4. Two could be a freak coincidence, even 3 an incredible, unbelievable streak of luck, but any more than that is obviously glitched and I wouldn't knowingly participate in a glitch like that. It's simply not fair.

I think that bug abuse, scamming, luring, etc should all result in a minimum of a temporary mute and/or ban, and if it were feasible the loss of any ill-gotten gains. Game or not, people spend real time getting their items/cash; if someone can earn $10 per hour in real life, and 1 million per hour in Runescape, then morally speaking scamming them out of 1 million Runescape coins is analogous to scamming them out of $10. The exact rates don't matter, the point is that virtual or not, you're essentially stealing the time that person used to acquire the money.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I can honestly say i have been tempted to cheat, when i first started this game i was unaware of bots, so i wasn't tempted to use them, when i reach about 50 combat in f2p i was tempted to bot when i found out about them but i didn't realised they were against the rules, so i went on the internet and tried to download bots. This went horrendously, they were all virus infected files so since then i've never touched them.

Recently i have found out that my IRL friend bots quite frequently, this annoys me immensely because in a few days he can surpass all my skills in which i had work hard for over the years. He even used bot to match my skills and my achievements which i find really annoying. The ease of him levelling has tempted me to use a bot and i have whinged to him that i wouldn't mind using it, but i haven't due to the risks far outweighs the rewards, it may help me get that hard level that i've been yearning for but the feeling of accomplishment would be lost with it...

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

Back in RSC there used to be this awesome program that would do everything, I think it was mentioned previously in this thread. It wasn't just a bot (though you could set macros), it improved gameplay with features like waypoint setting. Well Jagex eventually caught on and stat wiped a bunch of accounts and listed it on their front page. I had 2 accounts - one was wiped to the ground but my main wasn't touched.

The thing is it wasn't a secret, players treated this program like Swiftkit and even talked about it in game...it really made the game a better experience (this was before make-X). Shortly after Jagex started doing make-X. I haven't cheated since then. So I agree as long as they make it less of a grind regular players will be less inclined to cheat. The companies are easy to spot though, the varrock ess mine spots for example xD

This really gets down to the morals of cheating versus the morals of being forced to throw away your life [1000's of hours] to access content you enjoy

Isn't life about throwing away your life (a job) to access content you enjoy?

Of course I've been tempted to cheat, as with any game. I've never carried through though because I've worked for a while on my account so far, and I don't want to have it have many achievements, like 99's, but achievements that were not of my doing and were botted, thus pretty much worthless. And then there's the whole thing about my account that I've worked for ages on getting banned - never a good thing.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

anyways, didnt tipit allow selling signatures before they realised it counted as rwt

Yeah. I used to make pixel sigs and what not. Probably sold around 10m worth before tip.it realised that it was against the rules and put a stop to it.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.