ever been *tempted* to cheat?

ixfd64

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I've been tempted to cheat in Runescape, and I honestly believe that most people are lying if they say that they haven't thought about it at least once.

I also don't believe that cheaters necessarily do it because they hate playing the game. I think it's usually because they enjoy the game and want/feel like they need to reach a certain goal in order to have more fun, but they don't want to undergo the means that are needed for the goals. For example, a player might want a certain stat or item, but they don't want to grind several hours a day in order to achieve it.

From personal experience, I know what it's like to feel this way. I'm a college student, and I have no time to play (unless I want to screw over my social life or risk damaging my grades). It's very disheartening to want to play a grind-intensive game such as Runescape but feel like it's impossible to enjoy it as much as I should due to not having enough money or certain stats. Runescape is really too focused on having money or certain stats. You can't really play the game without having a large sum of game currency, which is also required in order to purchase stats. Everything about the game aside from a few bits of minor content basically require that you spend several hours a day of your life on the game.

I think games studios should change their outlook on cheating as a sign that there's something wrong with the current system. People don't usually cheat because they hate the game; they usually cheat because something about the game makes it not fun to play but is still a requirement in order to really have much of a game experience (such as grinding). Games studios should instead seek to prevent it by changing certain aspects of the system in order to make it more enjoyable and less grindy rather than just punishing as many people as possible.

Of course this is just my observation/opinion about the game, so flame me if you want. I honestly could care less.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I think games studios should change their outlook on cheating as a sign that there's something wrong with the current system. People don't usually cheat because they hate the game; they usually cheat because something about the game makes it not fun to play but is still a requirement in order to really have much of a game experience (such as grinding). Games studios should instead seek to prevent it by changing certain aspects of the system in order to make it more enjoyable and less grindy rather than just punishing as many people as possible.

Of course this is just my observation/opinion about the game, so flame me if you want. I honestly could care less.

This, a thousand times.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Of course, anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

ok, I'm a liar

tbh if I knew about corp I would have tried to join a 50-person team, but that's because it was not cheating in any way (how was everyone supposed to know that they weren't just getting lucky?) :roll: also, it was supported by jagex :thumbsup:

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

I had an alternate character at one time I wanted to transfer some wealth from main to it.

It was tempting to drop trade, but I decided not to.

I would never cheat at the expense of another player like fally massacre or use bots.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I've definitely considered cheating or breaking rules.

But I OF COURSE have NEVER ever broken any rules, abused any bugs, or cheated, EVER. NOT ONCE

lol the capitalized words really worked against you in this instance. now I'm convinced that you cheat scam and bot all at the same time :thumbup: :mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

Not once have I ever been tempted to cheat on any sort of game, whether it be RuneScape or a simple game of chess.

I see no point in playing the game improperly and looking like a complete idiot.

If someone feels the need to cheat in a game where other people enjoy themselves, then they obviously need to refrain from playing the game in the first place.

It obviously isn't their thing if they have to stoop so low. :angry:

"Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone."

Vandite.png

Definitely have. I've scammed, drop-traded, lured, botted, and bug-abused. Tempting when the game is so addicting :P

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Onc common observation I have about cheating is that it's a particular problem in RPGs or any other game with 'levels' since the act of farming is made to be more rewarding. If RPGs, particularly MMOs weren't using level up systems or ridiculous wealth creation to artificially extend the game far beyond what it would normally live for, there wouldn't be this problem. Cheating only happens because there is a benefit for doing so. It's simply unfair to expect individuals to take complete responsibility for a problem that really lies in the game's design, and that's a criticism of WoW just as much as it is for RuneScape.

Cheating obviously occurs in other genres and even other walks of life, but this type of cheating should be treat seperately to botting (etc.) since the motivations are fundamentally different. Using an aimbot in a competitive slayer/deathmatch on Halo/CoD respectively is different to having a macro chop yew trees all day while you go to the park with friends. The first is in an environment of direct competition where the whole point of the cheat is to lessen the other side's chance of winning. The latter is a lifestyle choice.

What I wish Jagex would do - add an afkable or FUN training method to each skill that doesnt have one. Runecrafting should have an afkable method at 10-15k xp an hour (farcry from the 50k from actually paying attention) and a fun one (generally mini game method can fit here even though this is subjective) that can give xp at a slower rate then actual training. Firemaking/agilty/hunter and all the other click heavy skills should to. Your welcome to hate me for saying this but I should enjoy all skills, instead of having to constantly click in repetative motions.

I like the concept, but it would also have to be no profit gain whatsoever.

I wish they could've had this when I got 99 Agility lol.

Goldtatze.png

Only ever time i've been tempted was when everyone used auto typers back in fally park when i 'tried' to merchant. Never did though, and never will.

Firstly my account is too precious to lose, secondly i take pride with having no black marks and thirdly i don't find any fun in cheating.

I've never come across the opportunity to bug abuse, but would never do it - for the reasons mentioned about plus Jagex seem to detect it so easily

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I have never really considered botting, and I won't RWT while I'm playing as well. It will probably never occur to me because I don't play Rs in a way to make a lot of cash, but if I was quitting and had a huge cash pile sitting in my bank, I'm not sure I could resist. I mean, if I had a billion and was quitting...It's worth over 500$, that's quite a lot of money. I don't think I could resist that.

I have been tempted to macro back in rsc. I wanted higher mining, but I didn't want to lose my character. So I just toughed it out and mined myself, and kept the ores instead of letting the bot auto-drop them. (When you had a full inventory in rsc the mined ores just went to the ground)

I have also been tempted to RWT - kinda. I joined a website/forum for Diablo II, where the forum has its own currency. It is difficult to do decent trades in D2 without this forum gold. The website has a runescape section as well, and I have gold on the forums I don't use for D2 cuz I don't play online anymore.. It just sits there, I do not want to cheat. I'm glad I never have, and never will.

35b9enp.jpg

Come to think of it, I did try to sell a "rare" water-filled vial for a high price on F2P back in 2002. Back then, the only way a free player could get a vial (other than buying it from a member) was to finish a strength potion. Admittedly, it was rather dishonest, although I didn't consider it a true scam because the word "rare" was open to interpretation. Needless to say, nobody was dumb enough to fall for it.

Oh, and I did consider selling a few low-level characters that had a scythe many years ago. Since scythes were untradable, I figured that I'd sell the account instead. I withstood the temptation, though. Plus, I had grown too attached to my accounts to sell them. :D

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I remember when the d legs vs. red d'hide chaps scam were popular. I used to counter those scammers by putting away my money at the flurry of last second

and end up with free red hide chaps. Good times...

when the coquest minigame came out i remember i got 40points (instead of the normall 4 points).

but how should i have known this?

nobody thought it was a bug lol

That's a bug? 0.0

it WAS a bug it got fixed in an hour or so but some of us were lucky and did check ik out before the update fixed it so we couldnt know it was one :rolleyes:

TKD-is-it.png