Choosing a career and education

DragnFly

I thought I would make this topic, to see what tip.it's educational and career plans are.

Are you/have you attended college? Did you start out in a junior college? Perhaps you went to a trade school? Skip college altogether and go straight into workforce?

Feel free to share with us a bit about it. Tell us about what kind of courses you took? How many years of education did you need? How did you pay for college? Is your job in high demand? Can your job be performed from any location? What sort of pay can you expect from your chosen career? Basically, feel free to share your experiences.

I'm looking into the possibilities for attending a college myself. Thinking about either video game design, or something to do with computers.

Though there is also several well paying blue collar jobs too, such as electricians and plumbers.

I've always wanted to get into business, as in, owning my own company. I have no idea what kind of company, or where to start, really.

Does anyone know of good businesses in Canada, or anywhere? And about how much it costs to go to school in another country, if you're from Canada. I'm only going into my second year of high school right now, so I have time to decide.

Currently in my second year of university studying Biochemistry and genetics, but no idea what career I would like afterwards.

A7x_fan_4eva.png

14 Skills at 99 All Skills 85+ 2370+ Total

3058 Glacor Kills 326 Shards of Armadyl 1 Ragefire 1 Glaiven 2 Steadfast 33 Effigys

17 Abyssal Whips 5 Staff of Light 5 Dark Bows 40 Dragon Boots 16 Polypore Sticks

62 Barrow Items 6 Pharah Sceptres 117 Effigys

I'm finishing high school this year. I plan on majoring in Accounting and receiving public certification (CPA Exam). I also hope to earn an MBA on the way out, but we'll see about that. After my minimum experience at an accounting firm (probably H&R Block), I plan to work at an independent business (and work taxes on the side). Ford Motor Company has some pretty nice benefits and they pay well too. I've had a few family members work there, so I'll be aiming to begin my career there as well. Depending on my success, I may retire early to teach.

It's a pretty optimistic plan, but I'm doing everything in my power to make it happen.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Starting college myself tomorrow - studying a diploma in art & design. As for career plans, I've haven't put too much thought into them - the creative industry is constantly changing so it's something that I feel would be more beneficial thinking about closer to the time.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I aim to enter into the computer game industry. I'm not sure what I will do specifically, but I will likely start out in an entry-level position (customer support or something).

I attended two years of university at the University of California at Santa Cruz. I was a fine art major and wasn't that fond of it. UCSC and the fine art department is very focused on "gallery art." By that I mean, art that may not be aesthetically pleasing but has some greater meaning/purpose behind it. I do like meaning in my artwork but I don't want to go into gallery art. I'm more of a promotional art/graphic design kind of person. So in September I will be going to a new university to study digital arts specifically (University of Kent).

I'm hoping to spend a year doing an industrial placement with a game company, but we'll see how that pans out.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I was pressured/force to go to college, so I took Business Administration in a junior college and got my Associates. I hated it, I hate businesses and offices and DO NOT ever want to work there. It's a big ass kissing contest, honestly.

So I decided I am going to become what I should of went for, History professor. I'll like to teach at the high school and college levels. History is the only thing I'm so good at, I don't need to double-check or study long for it. I don't know how or where I'm going to start, I should talk with one of my old HS teachers (also a History teach) for his advice. I hope he's still there, for I remember him talking about retiring soon.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm currently starting my first year of University in a few days studying Computer Science. Right now I have no idea what I want to specialize in but I love math, problem solving and technology so I'm sure I'll find something that really interests me. As for a career, there's so many possibilities available which is one of the reasons I chose to study computer science in the first place.

I believe my career path has always been somewhat influenced by my RuneScape career, as I plan to study Economics at University level.

I've always found things like the effects of supply/demand, manipulation clans and such particularly intriguing, and it's great that it's rather relevant to the real world too (stock markets, financial investments, politics regarding taxation, etc.) I find it's particularly pertinent to today's society due to the nature of modern day economies, and it's also great because it's such a diverse subject to study in. There's almost bound to be some element of Economics in a part of every sector in business, and it's rather interesting to see where it would lead me.

As a career, I'm not too sure - I feel I would change career paths quite a few times throughout my natural lifetime. Perhaps starting in the banking sector... or a teacher. Who knows?

I just started a week ago. Right now I'm only focused on getting an AA at the moment. Ultimately, my goal is to have a revolving-door career where I work on films, television shows, video games, and music - so I'm trying to work on a split between business and art.

I was never an exceptionally "smart" person. Never really cared about school. For most of my life i wanted to become a Professional Athlete but as my luck would have it i was good at one of the lowest ranked sports in South Africa, Tennis. About 3 months before i found out i was moving to Qatar i discovered my talent for the 400m Sprint. My coach even said i had South African Champion/Olympic talent but i never got the chance to pursue that, because as i said i moved 3 months after that.

It's been about 3 years now and i've done just about anything i thought would ever be fun. I spend 6 months doing Psychology, 6 Months doing Economics, a year doing Accounting and a year doing Law. Got bored of it all.

Right now i'm getting ready to head off to Florida to start, what i hope will be, a great career. I'm going to (hopefully) get my pilot's license. My dad works for the "Royal Family's" private airline, which is owned by Qatar Airways ( World's number 1 Airline ;) ) so ii'll have a job there as soon as i get my license. All i need to do now is survive 12 months of horrifyingly hard work and i'll be able to see and travel the world for a career.

I'm taking a year to myself before going to university next September to major in psychology. I'm planning / hoping to get accepted into a graduate program at either University of Ottawa or Yale. I'm leaning towards clinical psychology, but I'm almost positive that I'll change my mind. Throughout high school I wanted to be a journalist... I took a co-op course at a local community newspaper and ended up really hating it. While looking for something I really wanted to do I came across a few basic psychology books and got hooked. It became a lot less of a duty and more of something I love to do. I actually love learning about the human mind and such, so I'm happy with my decision.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Lots of pre-meds..

I'm getting a Biology degree too. The plan was to follow my brother's footsteps who is now a resident. So far so good, I've been getting similar grades. Now that I'm in university and have some experience doing research, I'm more leaning towards being a researcher/scientist in pharmaceuticals or in a medical lab. Also, my brother looked like HELL the past year of his studies and I don't want to go through that torture.

hiccup.png

Finished a 2 year degree (Associates) in Criminal Justice, on my 4th year out of 6 on my Military contract, and currently work for the local Sheriff's Department. I'm apply for a State Police job as well, trying to take the next step to go Federal Law Enforcement. Not sure its what I want to do my whole life, but I want to start moving towards that just in case I do end up wanting to. I finished school where I started, at a small community school for the 2 year degree, I might still go after my Bachelor's degree starting next semester.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

Though there is also several well paying blue collar jobs too, such as electricians and plumbers. I know someone who makes around $25 dollars an hour I believe, for a 10-hour 4 day workweek as an electrician.

Which country is this? 25 an hour is apprentice wages where I am :/

I work in the electricity supply industry doing my electrical trade. Working on powerlines, substations etc instead of regular electrical work. I hate wiring houses but I love this job.

I'm also studying electrical engineering in my 3rd year since my company pays for it and I can study on their time which gives me more space to move around in the industry.

My job will always be in high demand, especially with storms constantly pulling lines down etc.

I've done the first year of my University degree in Computer Science. I always knew I wanted to go into computers and IT, I just spend so much time online and at my computer that it's natural. The course is going to get challenging from now on but I passed so far with a First so I'm optimistic. I'm hoping to spend my third year on industrial placement to get some real experience (and money!) then after my final year just try to find a job in IT somewhere. Programming or whatever, something like that. IT is a sector that will definitely grow and I'm hopeful about getting a job.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

My actual job, the place i will be earning a living from atleast in the beginning, will be as a deck officer in the commercial navy. I made that choice, under my parents guidance, because where i live it is one of the few decent ways of earning an honest (!) living. I've finished my second year of University and starting the third (out of 4 overal) in less than a month. Before i become a full-fledged third mate, however, i will need exactly 1 year practice as a cadet onboard an actual vessel. Now this is a problem since not many are looking to take on cadets at this time and i can't finish my studies without doing 1 year, so that's a tricky part.

Now there's also another catch: I don't think this is what i want to do, but i also don't really know anything i'd like to do. Personally i'd like to do a bit of everything, although with my mathematical background i'd like to focus on adjacent topics (computer engineering, software engineering, electrical circuits, and some others). I would also like to explore other fields such as CGI, chemistry and it's various branches, and in general i'd like to explore pretty much everything. I don't think i actually want a job because i see that as limiting myself to one role. I can't say i want that at this point, i want to explore and discover various fields. But i also need to earn a living and perhaps even money to fund this, hence why i made the first choice.

My carrer choice will involve me staying for months (4 or more) at a time at sea, only seeing the outskirts of some ports. Ofcourse i will also have about 2 or so months for every 4-6, where i get to stay home and pursue other interests. My plan is to spend my first years at sea for lengthy periods of time and put some money aside, and gradually reduce it to 2, 3 or 4 months per year, time spent at sea. Hopefully that will provide a steady income and also allow me quite alot of time to pursue my other interests, maybe even switch to an entirely new career at some point.

That's pretty much the master plan for me, at the moment.

Final1.jpg

I aim to get a double major in biomedical engineering and materials engineering [bachelor's, 4 year, more like 5 with a double though] at my first choice college, which is about 28K a year [most expensive public uni in the state]. I've applied for the scholarships offered by the college, one of which is a full-ride with a stipend. If I can get at least 8k a year, I can probably do it, especially with an on-campus job in the writing center. I've been accepted already, and am waiting for my scholarship info. If I can't afford that one, I'll go to one nearby that costs about 13k a year (or 7 or 8 just for tuition, because it's only 10/15min away), and do a biomedical engineering 4+1 and get my Bachelor's and Master's at the same time (5 years of study). I can definitely pay for this, because I'm eligible for 8k a year from my ACT and GPA, and I get 1.6K my first year for the HS I go to and because my dad is an alumni.

Then I'd like to get a job at a diabetes device manufacturer (Animas, DexCom, Medtronic) and work there I guess.