Runefest - Insider Session Breaking Bots

RoswellCrash

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that is a possibility, but I would like to hear an answer from JaGeX specifically to be certain. Preferably without beating around the bush.

I can tell you exactly how this event will go...

Person A: What do you plan on doing about bots?

J-Mod: We have a plan, but can not give full details at this time.

---

Person B: How do you currently go about detecting bots?

J-Mod: We have systems in place, but can not comment or give details at this time.

---

Person C: *Asks pretty well any question regarding bots*.

J-Mod: *Like every other answer regarding bots in Jagex's history, says they have a plan, that they have the best bot detection systems in place, but, like usual, can no give any details*.

When was the last time Jagex actually gave a flat-out straight answer? Their Q&As are [bleep]ing jokes now because it's entirely, "Can't comment, sorry."

Class dismissed.

09144a99bb.png

I guess that is a possibility, but I would like to hear an answer from JaGeX specifically to be certain. Preferably without beating around the bush.

When was the last time Jagex actually gave a flat-out straight answer? Their Q&As are [bleep]ing jokes now because it's entirely, "Can't comment, sorry."

Class dismissed.

Basically true for the most part, but I like to think they'll be more open at RuneFest, even if they don't in the Q&A's it's not unknown for personal views to slip out, or staff to slip up like last year, MMG might have slipped up about an update if I remember correctly, depends if he's on the whiskey or not. It's easy to shot it down before it's happened, but we will all have to see wont we.

My question would be as follows

What would it take for jagex to hire say at least 25 minimum wage employees whose job would be to go to high botted areas of the game and manually challlenge players with questions or custom challenges they can create and make different everytime. Once someone is found to be botting rather then banning them they get sent into a relm of purgatory where when they logg into Runescape they think they are logging into world 59 but really they are sent to a world with nothing but other bots and Jagex controled npc players it would seem real enough to someone just setting up their next bot task so they continue to spend on a monthly membership (at least for a little while). While in purgatory nothing can be traded and any typing will only show up on their screen but would not be seen by anyone esle in purgatory, clan chat, or friends chat. When and if the botter figures out something isnt right their only recourse is to conntact jagex who can then do a regular ban. This would help with loosing profits as some botters might not figure out whats going on for some time. This would be my idea to fairly get rid of bots while not cause jagex to lose massive profits.

What would it take for jagex to hire say at least 25 minimum wage employees whose job would be to go to high botted areas of the game and manually challlenge players with questions or custom challenges they can create and make different everytime. Once someone is found to be botting rather then banning them they get sent into a relm of purgatory where when they logg into Runescape they think they are logging into world 59 but really they are sent to a world with nothing but other bots and Jagex controled npc players it would seem real enough to someone just setting up their next bot task so they continue to spend on a monthly membership (at least for a little while). While in purgatory nothing can be traded and any typing will only show up on their screen but would not be seen by anyone esle in purgatory, clan chat, or friends chat. When and if the botter figures out something isnt right their only recourse is to conntact jagex who can then do a regular ban. This would help with loosing profits as some botters might not figure out whats going on for some time. This would be my idea to fairly get rid of bots while not cause jagex to lose massive profits.

because everyone with public chat off is a bot

Because Mod's chat appears even when public, private, clan, and friends chat is off. :P.

09144a99bb.png

They could do it so their question appears on the center of the screen or whatever so that anyone could see it, even if half your screen isn't visible or whatever.

Because Mod's chat appears even when public, private, clan, and friends chat is off. :P.

point being that not everyone is paying 100% attention to chat

They could do it so their question appears on the center of the screen or whatever so that anyone could see it, even if half your screen isn't visible or whatever.

thats even worse it just blocks your screen

Would you be rather have your legit playing inconvenienced or have your game destroyed by bots? Hmm... :-|

id rather have jagex work on a solution thats more elegant than crudely asking a bunch of players random questions that they neither care to answer nor want to have to watch out for 24/7

1st step

Jagex needs to freaking secure their game client - there's probably not a single game engine out there that has been reverse-engineered as RS has.

Really, these day, having a pure browser game isn't that much of an advantage. But either way, having every item/location code to known to bot devs is kind of unheardful of...

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

1st step

Jagex needs to freaking secure their game client - there's probably not a single game engine out there that has been reverse-engineered as RS has.

Really, these day, having a pure browser game isn't that much of an advantage. But either way, having every item/location code to known to bot devs is kind of unheardful of...

Java is easily reverse engineered. It has always been this way and will always be this way. It can be obfuscated, but even then it is just a matter of time until it is broken. Frequently changing the obfuscation method would greatly hinder bots, but it would also require legit users to redownload the client much more often, and would cost Jagex much more bandwidth.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Much of RuneScape's appeal would be lost if such a system is implemented (downloadable client). The only viable way is to reverse the Wilderness, and make the GE work properly. It's that, or a complete overhaul of the system mechanics.

Frequently obfuscating would depend on whether that requires a system update. If it does, it'll greatly damage gameplay - which is counterproductive since that goes against the fundamental thing that drives people to hate bots.

Frequently obfuscating would depend on whether that requires a system update. If it does, it'll greatly damage gameplay - which is counterproductive since that goes against the fundamental thing that drives people to hate bots.

It could be done in a way that anyone logging in past time X has to update but if you were logged in already at time X you are fine until you log out.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Really, these day, having a pure browser game isn't that much of an advantage.

Actually with Chromebooks and some Ultrabooks without dvd drives a browser based game has a HUGE advantage.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Actually with Chromebooks and some Ultrabooks without dvd drives a browser based game has a HUGE advantage.

What's a DVD drive got to do with anything? Almost all games are downloadable now anyway, most things are trying to move away from hard copy.

That's a pretty bad example, but you are right it still has huge advantages.

Isn't there something that Blizzard, or another gaming company uses that you need to download and have running to play WoW which detects bots, etc. on your computer?

Vaguely remember reading a thread about it on here.

I'd be up for that, as would all other legitimate players, I'm sure.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Isn't there something that Blizzard, or another gaming company uses that you need to download and have running to play WoW which detects bots, etc. on your computer?

I would too, are you referring to something like nProtect GameGuard or PunkBuster?

I would too, are you referring to something like nProtect GameGuard?

Yes! I think so, anyway... Those who would be against it have something to hide..

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I would too, are you referring to something like nProtect GameGuard?

Yes! I think so, anyway... Those who would be against it have something to hide..

There's no way I'd let Jagex force me to run anything like that, and I have nothing to hide.

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

When they released free trade they said they had the means to actively control botting to an extent. Now they want to talk about their plans to combat bots. We will see. Be interesting to hear from all the other insiders sessions too.

Knowing Blizzard's methods - I don't think too many people will agree to it. Anonymity and such exists for a reason, and RuneScape has a completely different audience (mostly young teenagers, whereas WoW is mostly late teens).

Besides - it wouldn't even be very effective, all people have to do would be to sandbox a single file. It'll stop botters for a very short time.

Knowing Blizzard's methods - I don't think too many people will agree to it. Anonymity and such exists for a reason, and RuneScape has a completely different audience (mostly young teenagers, whereas WoW is mostly late teens).

Besides - it wouldn't even be very effective, all people have to do would be to sandbox a single file. It'll stop botters for a very short time.

Maybe 100 players who legitimately play, wont use it.

Of course lots of people will say they won't download it to scare Jagex because they want to keep botting.

I don't know how this program would work, but I think it will work better than their current bot detect system that detects all those bots at the moment.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

what if they intend to bring back fatigue and sleeping bags? :ohnoes:

edit: can captcha even stop bots? :\

Sorta; in the sleeping bag era I believe it was 'coldfeet' Where you signed up for an irc like account. In order to use the system each user had to type the words for people who were botting. I want to say it was a 1 for 1 type of deal, type out 5 words for other people, and while you were botting you had 5 words worth of credit.