25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, if they do it in 14~28 days as promised I'll offer them jobs at Jagex, but then again, they said they would be backup in a few hours a few days ago.

Alternatively, instead of a career at Jagex or McDonalds if more relevant, they could more likely end up spending their time in those lovely orange jumpsuits with the nice writing on the back

EDIT: So many exciting possibilities, only time will tell. "

Really [bleep]ing wish I'd seen that post by him sooner. I'd have a job at Jagex. Lol.

Still have a couple of weeks if his offer was serious. Doubt you have to go to England if all you're doing is demonstrating proof of product.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Another question: will high level accounts be "worth" more on the black market because people can no longer bot as easily/safely?

Yes. Basic market rules. The price of gold has already gone up.

Incorrect. Prices to sell high level accounts to companies have dropped by several hundred dollars due to people selling their accounts that they can no longer bot - aka. Quitting RuneScape.

That's a short term impact, long term they will go up.

It's same as most resources in-game:

The bot nuke meant stuff got dumped and prices dropped; but now in the vacuum where supply is suddenly much lower while demand remains consistent prices are creeping back up and will soon be growing beyond their original steady point.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guest jrhairychest

Jacmob starts working for Jagex and the preachers come out of the woodwork, who not a month ago would've vilified him. That's...kind of funny.

Interestingly enough, it was Wicked/Stev who suggested that Jagex should hire a bot maker to find a way to beat the bots. It looks like they listened to his advice ...

:lol:

Sorry I'm lost here. Are people saying that Jcmob is the reason that Jagex broke the bots? He made a direct contribution to all the coding and design that went with it all?

Forgive me if I seem behind the times on this.

Jacmob starts working for Jagex and the preachers come out of the woodwork, who not a month ago would've vilified him. That's...kind of funny.

Interestingly enough, it was Wicked/Stev who suggested that Jagex should hire a bot maker to find a way to beat the bots. It looks like they listened to his advice ...

Sorry I'm lost here. Are people saying that Jcmob is the reason that Jagex broke the bots? He made a direct contribution to all the coding and design that went with it all?

No, they launched the attack without him. Jacmob just managed to get his bot running after the nuke, so they hired him because it was clear they failed at that point.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Guest jrhairychest

No, they launched the attack without him. Jacmob just managed to get his bot running after the nuke, so they hired him because it was clear they failed at that point.

Right, thanks. Are there some sort of articles or something around stating he was taken on by Jagex and any particular reasons why, or is this hearsay?

Because MMG said if anyone got a bot online within 28 days of bot nuke and showed it to jagex working they'd give them a job.

Jacmob did just that.

And Jacmod himself said it and I believe mmg confirmed it as well on rsof.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guest jrhairychest

Because MMG said if anyone got a bot online within 28 days of bot nuke and showed it to jagex working they'd give them a job.

Jacmob did just that.

And Jacmod himself said it and I believe mmg confirmed it as well on rsof.

Right, now I'm getting there. Thanks for that. Do we have any QFC for this or anything?

That's why I'm wondering if this is all hearsay and rumor rather than fact

[spoiler=Source]

~4:20

Q - 'do you think MMG was serious when he said he'd offer a bot maker a job if they got it back in under 28 days'

A - 'at that time he was probably trolling but I think that if the ability and trustworthyness is there perhaps something could come of this'

~5:00

Q - 'whats up with you and Jagex?'

A - 'I was at runefest and have discussed certain things with them. Expect to hear more shortly'

[spoiler=Source]

~6:20

Q - 'Jacmob, you are going to be taking some initiative in helping Jagex remove bots. Do you think you can remove them completely?'

A - 'I've had a few discussions with the people at Jagex and I don't want to get into too much detail with that. Yet. But if the question is if you were employed by jagex to remove bots, could you, the answer is yes absolutely.'

Essentially, it has been eluded to HEAVILY by Jacmob as well as others who are close to the situation, but nothing is 'confirmed'.

Jacmob also says in one of those interviews that he has too much stuff going on irl to go to England and work for Jagex. Jagex has no programming employees outside of Cambridge, as far as I am aware, so I doubt Jacmob has a job with Jagex. Possible, not likely, and unconfirmed anywhere.

Flyingjj.png

Jacmob also says in one of those interviews that he has too much stuff going on irl to go to England and work for Jagex. Jagex has no programming employees outside of Cambridge, as far as I am aware, so I doubt Jacmob has a job with Jagex. Possible, not likely, and unconfirmed anywhere.

Was his accent not from somewhere in England?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Jagex could give him some consultancy work without him being an actual fulltime Jagex employee.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Hi everyone,

As most of you know, Bot Nuke Day has been a resounding success, with 98% of bots removed from the game, and weve struck a crippling blow to gold farmers. The overwhelmingly positive feedback and noticeable improvement to RuneScape has been truly tremendous. In addition to the various technological measures Jagex recently implemented, many of you will be aware that Jagex has for some time been engaged in a number of legal procedures aimed at stopping bot developers and the most serious bot users. These legal procedures have been the subject of a significant amount of speculation, which we will attempt to address in this post.

Some third party bot websites have been making various statements alleging that Jagex is doing a number of things that are unlawful or dishonest in some way or the other. We cannot comment on everything that is said in real time despite our deep desire to keep you abreast of matters as we need to be careful not to compromise our strong legal position.

To be very clear - a lot of things that have been said, and that will continue to be said about Jagex in relation to legal matters, are untrue. Third parties making these statements are, quite simply, trying to portray themselves in a positive light or desperately instil some sort of confidence into their rapidly dwindling supporter base by trying to suggest that Jagex is somehow acting dishonestly or unlawfully. This isnt the case at all. In fact, the Court found that Jagex had not engaged in any unlawful actions in ruling in Jagexs favour in the most recent series of such allegations raised by these parties. Jagex takes its lawful and ethical obligations extremely seriously and would never knowingly do something dishonest or unlawful. Remember, that some of these statements are coming from people that offer a No Ban Guarantee with their bots, a guarantee which we all know is untrue.

Are you suing IBOT?

Absolutely. Jagex is engaged in ongoing legal proceedings against the developers of IBOT with formal proceedings being initiated in the US (Massachusetts) some time ago. Trial is currently scheduled for mid 2012. Jagex is confident that it will prevail in this litigation and the developers of IBOT will eventually be forced to stop interfering in the game environment envisioned for legitimate players.

Is Jagex suing its players? If so, what gives?

Yes, Jagex is suing certain players who choose to disregard the terms, conditions and agreements entered into by them and continue to use bots, but it is also offering them a one-time amnesty. Jagex filed a lawsuit in the Central District of California in 2011, against unnamed persons (the technical terms is John Does, like in CSI!) who were themselves botting in RuneScape. These are the people playing RuneScape who are using third party software to bot, unlawfully getting round our technological measures designed to stop bots, and breaching our terms and conditions and the longstanding rules of RuneScape. Jagex received Court permission to ask PayPal for enough data to identify these people.

Once it had Court permission, Jagex then asked PayPal to provide enough information to identify who these people are so Jagex could name them as potential defendants in the lawsuit and otherwise enforce Jagexs rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). PayPal provided this data, as ordered by the Court.

Jagex emailed these people to offer them a one time opportunity to reform, stop botting, and settle out of the lawsuit. While Jagex hopes that these people will reform and stop botting, it ultimately is up to these people who are botting to decide whether they want to take the olive branch Jagex is offering or alternatively continue to unlawfully bot. Jagex is trying to give these individuals a simple one-time opportunity to do the right thing and stop. Remember, 99.97% of gold farmers use bots.

Has Jagex unlawfully or dishonestly taken or misused player information?

Jagex always takes its legal obligations very seriously. It has acted consistently (and is continuing to act) in accordance with both US law and with European Data Protection Laws (including our terms and conditions and privacy policy). Jagex has always upheld the highest standards of personal information security and privacy and at all times, and has acted fairly, lawfully and in a justifiable manner.

Some third party bot websites have been making various statements and posting documents that have re-posted, linked to and commented alleging that Jagex is doing a number of things that are unlawful or dishonest in some way or the other. The opposite is in fact true. The developers of IBOT appear particularly upset with Jagexs recent actions, including the fact that their bot and their business have been worthless since Bot Nuke Day. In ruling in favour of Jagex on a motion filed by the IBOT developers in the United States regarding such allegations from the IBOT developers, the court found that Jagex had not engaged in any such improprieties and that while [t]he dire consequences predicted by defendants may transpire, but there are no legitimate grounds upon which this Court is authorized to forestall them.

Quite simply, Jagex has always acted lawfully and honestly and the allegations levelled by the bot developers against Jagex, have been found to be without support.

What happens now?

Jagex is continuing to focus its efforts on restoring RuneScape back to its very best following a successful Bot Nuke Day. Jagex may continue to do other technical and/or legal things in the meantime, but wont always be able to tell you all the details or specifics of any ongoing lawsuit such as the current suits in the District of Massachusetts and the Central District of California.

What happened to RSBuddy?

Some of you may also have noticed recently that a significant former bot developer RSBuddy has both acknowledged the harm caused to RuneScape by bots but also completely renounced the further development of any bot software, taking the decision to reform into a RS fansite instead. I warmly welcome this well considered and smart development, I hope that all other bot developers will quickly see the wisdom in RS Buddys actions and likewise summarily shut down their own harmful operations before its too late. In recognition of recent events and as gesture of goodwill Jagex will draw a line under RSBuddys previous activity and that of their former customers provided they remain true to their pledge.

Is Jagex permanently anti-bot?

Jagex always has maintained a consistent position on botting: botting is cheating and ruins the game for legitimate players. We will continue to do whatever we legally can, in both technological and legal avenues, in order to continue removing botting and gold farming from the game. This all comes at considerable cost to Jagex including: considerable development time; high legal fees; and the significant time our dedicated staff have to spend on this.

Dont believe everything you read on botters forums or take things at face value. Both the technical and legal side of things are fiendishly complicated and subject to all sorts of confidentiality obligations and opinions, that often are seriously misunderstood even by those directly involved. Also, they all claim to be totally undetectable, just like a human and offer no ban guarantees. All are completely false claims; we are carefully monitoring the activities of the remaining screen scraping bots in game.

Bot Nuke Day is the culmination of a series of different measures, all designed to work together, to dramatically stamp out botting in RuneScape. The measures are all working so far; as before, we are only just getting started with a number of updates due over the next few weeks and we will continue to work hard on every front to wipe botting and gold farming out of RuneScape for good.

Again, thank you for your part in helping us wipe out the bots and gold farming from RuneScape.

Mark Gerhard

CEO & CTO

From Runescape mainpage

Love them <3

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

• 2 weeks later...