25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

Guest jrhairychest

It has worked better than any update they've made before (besides perhaps RS2!) So by that measure it has been a resounding success.

Agreed. Just a thought, I wonder if the expert programmers have been banned for botting.........................? :-#

Why would that matter.

Irony.

I didn't believe that Jagex was ready to go with the anti-bot update by the time they announced that they would "never stop to combat it". It's pretty easy to jeer Jagex's efforts at that point in time, but now, all you really can do is stand in awe of what they did for the time being.

I don't think anybody thought they were ready. However, I didn't believe they were just standing by idly while it was going on nor pretending I knew all about botting and programming in relation to it.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So RSBuddy had a countdown timer for when their bot would be back online...

Don't think it was a coincidence that jagex decided to also update at pretty much the exact time with some "behind-the-scenes tweaks"

As their timer hit zero all the admin did was post this:

Recent Developments - Moving On From Bots

Why have you put an end to RSBuddy’s bot client?

Bots have changed the gameplay of RuneScape. With the use of bots becoming increasingly widespread since the introduction of free trade, and the recent announcements by Jagex, it is clear that bots have become flagrantly detrimental to the game. If you’re like any of us and you enjoy playing RuneScape, you’ll have noticed that bots are anti-social and make the time you spend playing feel diminished in worth. At the same time, bots are abused heavily by gold farmers to ruin the game to a significant extent only for their profit. We hope to assist in the selfless movement by Jagex in fixing this problem and hope that you will join us in playing the game with real people.

To some this will seem like a quick change of heart. See my interview with Ability44 on YouTube.

Is this the end of all botting in RuneScape?

Yes. I am confident that you will not see the return of major bot clients to RuneScape, and that the small number of simple 'auto-clickers' and 'screen-scrapers' that remain will be dealt with very soon.

Another bot site says they’ll be up soon; why shouldn’t we believe them?

The other bot sites out there may claim for a bit longer that they will fix their bots within the next few days or weeks: Had I decided to release RSBuddy 1.5 to the public, it would have required another overhaul just a few days later. The fact that no other botting sites had any update ready by the end of last week shows how exceedingly far behind they are. Don’t hold your breath.

I know another huge MMO that hasn’t dealt with bots; what makes RuneScape different?

Removing bots from the game requires both commercial investment and the time of talented developers with other updates to work on. I haven’t seen any other company willing to take that hit; it requires a huge amount of care for the game we’re here for.

I used RSBuddy on my account, am I going to be banned?

The information we have on customers and users is private and won’t be used to ban any accounts. We hope that you have come to understand why botting has no place in the game and take this opportunity to become part of the RuneScape community.

I purchased a premium script, am I entitled to a refund?

If you purchased a script within 7 days of the update last Tuesday we will happily refund your purchase on request. Any purchases made before this time are not eligible for refunds. Information on subscription changes is available on our subscriptions page.

This is the end for bots, not for you!

It’s not only you that doesn’t have a bot client to use. RuneScape is a social game for humans to play. If you feel that there was anything botting did to keep you interested in the game, please join the discussion of what updates would remove any need for them.

More Information

BenTellsAStory interviews NoEffex, Trigoon, Arbiter and myself on YouTube.

My RSN is 'Gouraud' (after the shading algorithm). inb4 spam. I'll be on IRC as usual.

Looks like Jagex really have won :thumbup: Made me lol :thumbsup:

My Blog

2 Visage Drops.

Over 1800 Castle Wars Tickets..

110715145129.png

Errr.png

I honestly was planning on quitting a few weeks ago, with the bot epidemic going on.

Now, with the bot completely (okay, almost all) gone, and the amazing updates that were coming in 2012 based on info from RuneFest, I've changed my mind. I'm subscribing to Jagex tomorrow.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Partyhats all around? <3:

Heck yes! Golden Partyhats to celebrate Bot Nuke Day! :lol:

Seriously though, this is a huge victory for Jagex. It almost makes up for everything we've suffered through this year (and partyhats would help to further ease the pain :wink: ).

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Was not expecting that from the countdown timer hahahah. Can't believe they counted down from like 5 days or something just for that x)

That was so that the refund period passed and people can't chargeback ;) Cunning move.

Epic win from Jagex :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's not the only bot though... how long til the others give up?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

This is what I thought would happen. Jagex did something, and you can make a bot work, but it only takes one update by jagex to crash the new bot. Someone would have to fundamentally break that system, which requires a lot more effort and in effect puts the botscripters on the defensive, rather than the offensive.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

The owner of RSBuddy was working for Jagex undercover for quite a while. :lol: Jagex paid him to help them combat bots He works for Jagex now on contract or something. You won't believe how fast the botting community turned against him Seriously, check out that forum. It's much worse than RSOF on December 10 '07 lmao. I'll find more details, they're easy finds.

So, to sum up:

1. Jagex says they're going to rid the game of bots once and for all

2. Botting communities call Jagex's bluff, get overconfident

3. Nuke is released

4. Botting community laughs, then realizes the gravity of the situation, rages

5. RSBuddy owner confirmed to work for Jagex, RSBuddy is converted into a fansite, botting as an industry pwned for good

6. Legit players lol@raging botters

Basically, Jacmob is the greatest RuneScape troll ever. He said the bot was going to be back up, he lied. Lied through his teeth, and he sold out to Jagex. He won't even refund the money that the botters paid for the scripts :lol: (well sources are conflicted on this)

Once again, botters gonna mad.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Jacmob was at RuneFest. I can only assume there were some detailed discussions in private about it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi