25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

LOL. So apparently out of those 200k players online before the update, 120k were bots, as there are about 80k left online.

At 11am this morning, BST. There was around 90k players online. The system update, which came over three hours later...There was still roughly that amount on. After the update, (I didn't return for two hours or so), along with many others, I'm sure...There's 80k online.

Lest we not over exaggerate until we see the real effect in a few hours. (People still at school/work, etc.)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just checked my stats in the hiscores and ...

I've lost one rank over-all since the update.

:rolleyes:

Jagex never said there would be 1.5M bans going along with this. They said that they had recently banned 1.5M bots. All this does is prevent bots from continuing to bot. Doesn't ban them.

Then every bot they've "banned" must've been an F2P noob account. That is, if they actually banned any accounts for botting.

What about the high level botted accounts in P2P? They're not going to ban them? :rolleyes:

Well, they released the program that stops bots from working as an update. Most bots are usually down after an update anyways, so naturally there aren't going to be any on for them to ban. And really, most of the ex-bots probably won't be banned, because if the botting program doesn't work, they're not going to log on.

So unless some moron tries to use his old, broken bot, then you aren't going to go up in ranks without gaining XP due to this.

a70c7.png

LOL. So apparently out of those 200k players online before the update, 120k were bots, as there are about 80k left online.

Lol wow, that's terrible

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

Jagex never said there would be 1.5M bans going along with this. They said that they had recently banned 1.5M bots. All this does is prevent bots from continuing to bot. Doesn't ban them.

Then every bot they've "banned" must've been an F2P noob account. That is, if they actually banned any accounts for botting.

What about the high level botted accounts in P2P? They're not going to ban them? :rolleyes:

Well, they released the program that stops bots from working as an update. Most bots are usually down after an update anyways, so naturally there aren't going to be any on for them to ban. And really, most of the ex-bots probably won't be banned, because if the botting program doesn't work, they're not going to log on.

So unless some moron tries to use his old, broken bot, then you aren't going to go up in ranks without gaining XP due to this.

Just for the sake of asking then what is, essentially, a stupid question: why impose anti-botting measures if you're not going to permanently ban the bots? :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Just for the sake of asking then what is, essentially, a stupid question: why impose anti-botting measures if you're not going to permanently ban the bots? :rolleyes:

Keep the botters playing. If you had an account that was botted to say 2300 total you'd probably keep playing afterwards. If that account was perm banned and you had to start over from scratch, you'd most likely quit. This way Jagex keeps the old botters, but forces them to play legitly. Only ones that won't come back would be the massive volumes of goldfarmers. They may come back in smaller numbers, but since they have to be manually controlled, far less can be run at once.

Well – just checked my stats in the hiscores and ...

So they don't lose paying members? XP

There's also the risk of wrongfully banning a bunch of people then having to process their appeals.

Who knows if they'll stick with that obviously bad move? Who would've thought they ever would have made an update like this?

I sure hope they start perm'ing them, anyway...

hzvjpwS.gif

anyone else having "invisibility problems?"

the other people at ivy can't see it but can still chop it like me, and Vilya said his mounted glory was invisible. Just wondering.

111025111534.png

Glory Amulets in a PoH can no longer be seen.

Koolcookie0.png

Runescape Player Since '04 | Tif Member since '06 | Max Combat | Too Busy Playing MW3

Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob. Anyone who is better has no life!

anyone else having "invisibility problems?"

the other people at ivy can't see it but can still chop it like me, and Vilya said his mounted glory was invisible. Just wondering.

[hide=pic]

111025111534.png[/hide]

111025183026.png

Yup, I do! :(

- I'm not proud of everything I've done, but I have no regrets

15nu9u1.png

I know this has been said before (I'd hope), but Jagex never said they were going to mass ban bots with this update, but rather they were aiming to make bots non-functional. Personally, if bots remain non-functional, I can't be too upset with them not being banned at present. One step at a time and all that jazz.

If Jagex isn't going to ban the botters anyway, it feels like a slap in the face to the legit players. I should have botted max total when I had the chance, since Jagex doesn't care about it.

I think these graphics bugs are related to direct X, so if you have trouble with them try switching to open GL or something like that ;) (you also won't see the nice water then :( )

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Keep the botters playing. If you had an account that was botted to say 2300 total you'd probably keep playing afterwards. If that account was perm banned and you had to start over from scratch, you'd most likely quit. This way Jagex keeps the old botters, but forces them to play legitly. Only ones that won't come back would be the massive volumes of goldfarmers. They may come back in smaller numbers, but since they have to be manually controlled, far less can be run at once.

... and this makes it "fairer" how? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

Lol wow, that's terrible

Oh, and not entirely true. There weren't 200k player on before the update, and even so, there are still some (legitimate) players who can't log in afterwards. Probably some issues with the Java version update.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Bleh wherever i want to click I need to move my mouse lower then where it is supposed to be, it is a mac specific problem i believe and i am using the client! i tried switching some things but then when I dungeoneer, random black lines appear after every door is opened haha, any suggestions?

Bleh wherever i want to click I need to move my mouse lower then where it is supposed to be, it is a mac specific problem i believe and i am using the client! i tried switching some things but then when I dungeoneer, random black lines appear after every door is opened haha, any suggestions?

What graphics "mode" are you on? I hear there are some bugs with DitectX mode. Try changing that setting around, they say OpenGL is your best bet.

trains2.png

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

What graphics "mode" are you on? I hear there are some bugs with DitectX mode. Try changing that setting around, they say OpenGL is your best bet.

Yeah i just looked around, the problem is fixed when i switch to software mode, and i play on minimum settings, but when i try to dungeoneer the black lines show up after every door is opened which is annoying, im going to try to look around some more.

I know this has been said before (I'd hope), but Jagex never said they were going to mass ban bots with this update, but rather they were aiming to make bots non-functional. Personally, if bots remain non-functional, I can't be too upset with them not being banned at present. One step at a time and all that jazz.

If Jagex isn't going to ban the botters anyway, it feels like a slap in the face to the legit players. I should have botted max total when I had the chance, since Jagex doesn't care about it.

Thus's point is exactly that -- if you're not going to punish the people for botting, then why stop them?

In effect, all they've done is legitimized the botting practices of the past by allowing those players to keep whatever achievements and wealth they've obtained through cheating and it encourages them and other people to employ the next generation of bots in the future ...

... and are the bots actually stopped?

I haven't seen any reports on here yet that indicate they have been. Has anyone checked out the Sorceress's Garden? Are the runecrafting bots gone from Castle Wars and the Nature Rune Altar? Is Aubury's Rune shop less busy?

Has anyone been to Green Dragons? Red Dragons? ANY dragons? Are there still marauding herds of ill-equipped people, wearing d skits and granite platebodies swarming every Black Demon in Taverly?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

I haven't seen any reports on here yet that indicate they have been. Has anyone checked out the Sorceress's Garden? Are the runecrafting bots gone from Castle Wars and the Nature Rune Altar? Is Aubury's Rune shop less busy?

Has anyone been to Green Dragons? Red Dragons? ANY dragons? Are there still marauding herds of ill-equipped people, wearing d skits and granite platebodies swarming every Black Demon in Taverly?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep. No bots. How about you look for yourself?

trains2.png

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yep. No bots. How about you look for yourself?

Because I have this thing called a "job", and they won't let me play Runescape at it ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Well, there's always that delay after an update were no bots are on. Hopefully todays will be a lot longer.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

... and are the bots actually stopped?

I haven't seen any reports on here yet that indicate they have been.

That's because the people on here have the common sense to grasp that it will be a day at the minimum before anyone can say anything of the sort...

Not saying you don't have common sense, just that's why you're not getting the instant gratification you're seeking so desperately.

hzvjpwS.gif