25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jrhairychest

Just had a fun time trawling through the forums on some of these botting sites. It's no wonder some of these players need bots or gold farmers - Judging by their spelling and grammar some of them couldn't even log in to RS without help :grin:

The only thing i had planned to do now with bots gone is finally get this bloody Green Dragon egg. 200 kills in = Nothing. Made a nice 800k though, but thats not the point!

Koolcookie0.png

Runescape Player Since '04 | Tif Member since '06 | Max Combat | Too Busy Playing MW3

Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob. Anyone who is better has no life!

The first thing I did was look at the number of people online, and I'm pleasently surpised that 93K people are still online during peak-time in the US. Although this is far lower than the 100K+ figures that existed prior to this update, it's relieving to know so many people remain "legit".

Granted, that 93K people might include people who previously botted, read the news post last week, and stopped before being caught red-handed. The medium-term playing figures in the future will be very interesting, to see if those players simply drop-off because they can't cheat their way into becoming uber-strong anymore.

I don't think the nuke directly caught any bots, it just stops the bot programmers from taking advantage of the client. So yeah, this is a good solution, all bots are pretty much dead, they can't come back. The people being banned were probably already on their report list.

Just had a fun time trawling through the forums on some of these botting sites. It's no wonder some of these players need bots or gold farmers - Judging by their spelling and grammar some of them couldn't even log in to RS without help :grin:

The botting communities are usually made up of 5% hardcore elite programmers, 15% programmers in training, then 80% mindless rabble. :-P

They are definitely banning accounts or at least resetting, I've been looking at my herb rank (my highest ranked skill) and I've gained 10-15 ranks without doing anything related to herb, and I'm ranked in the 900s.

Those were most likely accounts that had already been reported for macroing but were in the queue between the bot detection program and the JMod that presses the manual 'ban button'. I've seen a few of my levels go up a bit (most <100) and plenty fall but that's normal.

They are definitely banning accounts or at least resetting, I've been looking at my herb rank (my highest ranked skill) and I've gained 10-15 ranks without doing anything related to herb, and I'm ranked in the 900s.

Those were most likely accounts that had already been reported for macroing but were in the queue between the bot detection program and the JMod that presses the manual 'ban button'. I've seen a few of my levels go up a bit (most <100) and plenty fall but that's normal.

Ya but 15 ranks in one day, on herb, being inside top 1k, without doing herb at all lol... They did say something about "saving" bans, so I guess it could be that, I'm just kinda surprised how hard it is to gain 1-2 ranks inside the top 1k training, but then I get 15 in a day without training at all.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Found this on a bot website, looks like Jagex actually did something quite substantial. I doubt this will keep them away forever, but it'll take a LOT of resources to get around (if I understand what they're saying);

[spoiler=Here]

Yohanu (Speljohan)

they've butchered the client for real all instance variables are gone t's all in a massive object array

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

so youre basically telling me that jagex knew what they were doing this time? and bot owners dont know what theyre in for yet? jacmob etc

Yohanu says

yep

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

are trying to keep their community calm

Yohanu says

i expected them to go this far

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

by saying "oh ill have it in a few hours"

Yohanu says

eventually

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

so

Yohanu says

basically

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

how to get around?

Yohanu says

every object in game is an index in the array rite like every part of game engine the array is just an Object[][] meaning you can't tell what type is in what index and my guess is that everytime you connect all indices are scrambled resulting in something even harder than making a packet bot

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

thats what WoW did it pretty much destroyed private servers

Yohanu says

ll so yeah this is luls pretty sure they do reflection checks now too as a backup in addition to more gradual updates looks bright finally i can actually talk to people in game instead of talking to walls (bots)

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

I quoted this convo

Yohanu says

mk

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

for the [bleep] mscp 12 year olds who think theyre badass because they can load up a bot and hit start

Yohanu says

ol

This helps us understand the ridiculous name, at least.

Edit on second glance I don't think this is what I meant to quote... I saw it earlier and wanted to make this comment but had to leave.

So basically related clusters of objects are now split up and randomized (fluttered as they so gracefully put it) so that they cannot be identified and reassembled by anything other than the game itself.

Perhaps a juvenile understanding but I think it's basically right?

2dgucz6.png

Am I the only one who thinks Mod MMG and Crisso have been completely unprofessional and overall just plain immature with all their replies on the RSOF? Every reply just emits total arrogance, and it feels like they both have lowered their self down to a bot makers level. In fact I feel the bot makers have been more professional with their reactions.

It feels like they are following the same unintelligent replies of your average RSOF user. If this was any type of company besides a teenagers game company I think the public would eat them alive. Jagex needs to teach their employees how to present themselves to their customers before letting their CEO and Mod's run around making idiotic comments.

L2pullout.png

Am I the only one who thinks Mod MMG and Crisso have been completely unprofessional and overall just plain immature with all their replies on the RSOF? Every reply just emits total arrogance, and it feels like they both have lowered their self down to a bot makers level. In fact I feel the bot makers have been more professional with their reactions.

It feels like they are following the same unintelligent replies of your average RSOF user. If this was any type of company besides a teenagers game company I think the public would eat them alive. Jagex needs to teach their employees how to present themselves to their customers before letting their CEO and Mod's run around making idiotic comments.

I find it a refreshing break from the vague and empty words they usually post on the forums. They are enjoying themselves and so are many players in reading these replies. Let it be.

patr1ckotg1.png

They're definitely banning bots, many of my stats have jumped in the past few hours, including 99 fishing:

screenshot1025201154529.png

I know it's probably still early to be certain but so far Jagex seems to have been somewhat successful. :thumbup:

I predict that there will be a drop in the chinese unemployment rate in the near future

PejGw.png

this is funner than slaying

tr0ll.png

Lol!!!!! I've got to try that. (for those who dont understand he is dressed in bot items dragon med/granite plate and whip at green drags)

^Troll or ex-botter?

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Very happy with the success so far. Find it kind of depressing though when looking at the Players online count. Implies that about half of the player population were bots. :/ I knew that bots were a huge part of the population, but half? That's a lot.

Lets just hope this sticks for a few weeks at least. Will be nice to be able to profit from slayer again. And speaking of which, Gained about 450-480k Slayer XP today. :mrgreen: I think Jagex were very smart with the increased spawn rates during the 3x XP. It really helped a lot.

EDIT: Also gained anywhere from 10-150 ranks in various skills that I haven't trained in ages. Good to know they are banning/resetting bots as well (or any other rulebreakers).

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I find it a refreshing break from the vague and empty words they usually post on the forums. They are enjoying themselves and so are many players in reading these replies. Let it be.

No. They let bots go for years without even admitting bots existed and now they finally do something after 2 years and they want to act like they are gods gift to the world. Good for them it took them years to finally fix their broken game, but I won't give them props for it. They let it get so bad that it's going to directly harm them financially, and it's to the point now where RS will never recover and will probably be the death of their game.

L2pullout.png

No. They let bots go for years without even admitting bots existed and now they finally do something after 2 years and they want to act like they are gods gift to the world. Good for them it took them years to finally fix their broken game, but I won't give them props for it. They let it get so bad that it's going to directly harm them financially, and it's to the point now where RS will never recover and will probably be the death of their game.

Part of they reason their seems to be lack of care is due to the various organizations that own most of jagex now. They are more in it for the money than satisfying players, and their goal is to achieve an equilibrium between the two. While yes they did seem to wait a bit too long, it's not really something we can judge. The current "fix" for it may have taken awhile to develop, test and replicate, alongside the normal tasks of releasing weekly content to the game, we're just unsure. However, It's here now, that's what truly matters; better late than never.

patr1ckotg1.png

They wouldn't have tried this unless they knew the risk concerning the future of the company was minimal.

There's always something to [bleep] about, isn't there?

As others have said, let it be.

"and it's to the point now where RS will never recover and will probably be the death of their game. "

If you can gather that much information several hours after an update...

RIP Michaelangelopolous

There's always something to [bleep] about, isn't there?

As others have said, let it be.

"and it's to the point now where RS will never recover and will probably be the death of their game. "

If you can gather that much information several hours after an update...

Nostradamus of TIF!

patr1ckotg1.png

There's hardly anyone cutting yews on F2P (I've checked several yew spawns). I was very surprised and very happy at the same time. This nuking is most definitely working, but how long it lasts is another story.

EDIT:

Another thought that I had: will the Runescape economy improve now that bots are gone or will the sudden drop in raw materials cause adverse effects?

ibiteu2death.png

[hide=Funny Quote]

Cbow! Cbow!!!!! +120 range is orgasmic. Or maul, thats what I'd get out of those two options.

I agree with baconisbacon, Cbow looks freaking sensual

Runescape: Where strong weapons bring sexual pleasure.

The size of the e-peen0r is directly proportional to the rarity/power of one's equipment.

[/hide]

There's hardly anyone cutting yews on F2P (I've checked several yew spawns). I was very surprised and very happy at the same time. This nuking is most definitely working, but how long it lasts is another story.

Another thought that I had: will the Runescape economy improve now that bots are gone or will the sudden drop in raw materials cause adverse effects?

Indefinite, it's near impossible to successfully program bots now. I assume the economy will take a hit, but it will eventually recover with less skewed prices.

Indefinite, it's near impossible to successfully program bots now.

Oh wow, this is much better than I thought. But I'm slightly uninformed about this: what exactly did Jagex do to eliminate bots so successfully?

ibiteu2death.png

[hide=Funny Quote]

Cbow! Cbow!!!!! +120 range is orgasmic. Or maul, thats what I'd get out of those two options.

I agree with baconisbacon, Cbow looks freaking sensual

Runescape: Where strong weapons bring sexual pleasure.

The size of the e-peen0r is directly proportional to the rarity/power of one's equipment.

[/hide]

Wealth will also get spread around as lower levels will find a way to make money. The way the game is now, there were only a few viable moneymakers most of them being high level and requiring a good investment in skills like herblore, prayer and summoning. Sure a few people will complain about the rise in resources but they are just being selfish.

Oh wow, this is much better than I thought. But I'm slightly uninformed about this: what exactly did Jagex do to eliminate bots so successfully?

To quote myself:

Found this on a bot website, looks like Jagex actually did something quite substantial. I doubt this will keep them away forever, but it'll take a LOT of resources to get around (if I understand what they're saying);

[spoiler=Here]

Yohanu (Speljohan)

they've butchered the client for real all instance variables are gone t's all in a massive object array

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

so youre basically telling me that jagex knew what they were doing this time? and bot owners dont know what theyre in for yet? jacmob etc

Yohanu says

yep

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

are trying to keep their community calm

Yohanu says

i expected them to go this far

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

by saying "oh ill have it in a few hours"

Yohanu says

eventually

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

so

Yohanu says

basically

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

how to get around?

Yohanu says

every object in game is an index in the array rite like every part of game engine the array is just an Object[][] meaning you can't tell what type is in what index and my guess is that everytime you connect all indices are scrambled resulting in something even harder than making a packet bot

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

thats what WoW did it pretty much destroyed private servers

Yohanu says

ll so yeah this is luls pretty sure they do reflection checks now too as a backup in addition to more gradual updates looks bright finally i can actually talk to people in game instead of talking to walls (bots)

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

I quoted this convo

Yohanu says

mk

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

for the [bleep] mscp 12 year olds who think theyre badass because they can load up a bot and hit start

Yohanu says

ol

Essentially, 'clusterfuster' wasn't just a cute codename. I don't know anything about programming so I don't know for sure, but from what I understand, they took everything in the client, dumped it all into one giant mess and only Jagex knows how to decifer it.