25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

I like how their beloved developers are just delaying the undeniable as much as they can in hopes of getting some clueless idiot to buy a bot, and milk some people out of their money before bailing the [bleep] out. Do they even realized they are being used and these so called pseudo-"developers" haven't been doing anything since the moment they realized they simply can't do anything about it.

Jagex set up way too many barriers, and there are even more to come. Also, been hearing about them taking legal action against anyone suspected to be doing anything "supicious" with their clients, there must be a mail flying around the webs with threats and everything.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im quite amazed at the amount of person who were online today, from what i recall i didnt even see the population hit over 100 thousand in my timezone, and in my homeworld there were only around 300 people online. Better yet there werent any suspicious people looked like they were botting! Last of all, i found it hilarious how a level 59 walked into the varrock west bank and said, "Dude, where is everyone?".

waAhvEI.png

And the day goes to jagex.

meanwhile...

Investors: What! we lost over half of our paying userbase! Reset! Reset!

Ya we knew the number of bots was high, but over 50%? What's that going to do to updates?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Wow from Mod Timo

Hello everyone,

As a part of the update some people will have received the following e-mail communication:

Dear Player,

We have strong evidence that you may have purchased and used botting software in the past, specifically ibot software.

Botting and the cheating it brings is destroying your game, violates Jagex's rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and any player that continues to engage in botting activity has no place in our community.

As part of bot nuke week we are offering you a 1 time amnesty and settlement lifeline, which is a chance to reform and change your ways. We'd like you to contribute to the community in a positive way, to compete on a level playing field as everyone else does and play in the true spirit of the game, with integrity. All of your accounts, main and otherwise, are now on our watch list and will be monitored for the use of ibot and all other inappropriate third-party software. Regardless of who you are or how long you've been with us, if you decide to cheat and bot ever again we will have no hesitation in: (1) permanently removing your account from our wonderful community in order to protect Jagex's rights under the DMCA, and (2) naming you as a defendant in Jagex Limited v. John Does, which is a lawsuit based on DMCA violations that is currently pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Civ. Action No. SACV11-00969-CJC).

Please note that this amnesty and settlement offer is protected under Fed. R. Evid. 408. If you ignore our offer and instead continue use botting software, we reserve our rights to pursue statutory damages against you for between $200 to $2,500 per act of past, present, and/or future botting in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 1203©(3).

We do hope you make the morally sound and lawful choice of turning your back on bots. We look forward to seeing you in game having fun in a way that is true to the spirit of fair play and respectful to your fellow players.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Gerhard

I can confirm that this is an official statement from Jagex to the recipient.

Please note that there are no website links in the main body of the e-mail. Should you receive any e-mails that contain the above text with website links or additional information, they are likely to be phishing e-mails and should be ignored.

Kind regards,

Mod Timo

iBot = Nexus = Rsbots.net

Threatening to sue lol

Laplacian.png

Please note that this amnesty and settlement offer is protected under Fed. R. Evid. 408. If you ignore our offer and instead continue use botting software, we reserve our rights to pursue statutory damages against you for between $200 to $2,500 per act of past, present, and/or future botting in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 1203©(3).

So we know that there are at least 100k bots, probably more like 400k if they run 6hrs a day, thats at least 20m. Now per act of botting??? Do they mean every time you log in with a bot becuase if they do jagex is going to get a major cash stream if they go through with this.

Now if they only put that cash into advertising to bring player numbers back up.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I've been reading some threads on botting sites for a while. Funny stuff. I like how every single reference to "Jagex" is "[Jagex]".

Yeah, while reading those threads, I wondered to myself, "If they hate Jagex and the grind that is Runescape, why do they play?" It sort of baffles me.

Flyingjj.png

The worlds were infested

tick...tick...tick...

Their resources devastated

tick...tick...tick...

Every action contested

tick...tick...tick...

Everyone thought the creator had left them deserted

tick...tick...tick...

With their red head legs feet and left hand

tick...tick...tick...

With grey torsos-black weapons they traveled the land

tick...tick...tick...

The people were angry the people were furious

tick...tick...tick...

The creator too had enough with this

tick...tick...tick...

So the creator built a weapon of such majesty and grace

tick!

And nuked all of the scourge with a grin on their face!

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

I can't say how I see that this violates the DMCA...the user themselves probably didn't, but the bot companies may have. At best, the player could be banned or fined, but the fine is a stretch within the law. I find it suspect that they don't list the exact clauses of the DMCA that are being violated either (although to be frank, this is typical of DMCA violations - they just say you're violating and expect you to magically know what you did wrong according to that law).

So, Jagex has the advantage now in ridding the game of bots. Has anyone else noticed what was left in this update's wake yet?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Anyone can sue anyone over anything doesn't mean that they will win . Jagex probably wont have much of a case against individual players but its a threat that they can carry out. I can bet the average botter will probably be scared away.

Gotta laugh at the lawsuit. That's awesome that they are doing that. Then again, with fines that large, if they win, the lawsuit will more than pay for itself. I don't like the idea of offering amnesty though, I'd rather see them strait up try to sue them. I guess from their perspective though its better business to try and scare them strait first rather than sue them.

I hope they do sue some people and win though. The publicity from something like that would be an amazing weapon in their arsenal. "And if you bot in our game, we will sue you for hundreds of dollars, just like we did to these assclowns.".

Jagex isn't pulling any punches. Their rolling out all the big guns in a very short time span. This is war!

Now if only they hadn't also declared war on the general playability of their game at the same time, but I'm sure that will get sorted in the next few weeks. The only real symptom I am having is doubled cpu usage (I swear theirs got to be a leak in the program or whatever you call it. Its consuming more resources than GTA IV)

I'm guessing the higher than normal computer usage will ease away later on.

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Wasn't it Sony that sued under the DMCA for piracy? Wired story. Another case in Canada had one corporation (I think it was RIAA related) had sued individuals for downloading music illegally yet were actually guilty of uploading songs they did not have the rights to. All of a sudden their idea of $20,000 per violation didn't sound so great when they basically violated the same law millions of times based on user access.

Let's just say I'm not keen on the idea of corporations suing individuals for damages. Corporations have lots of protections under the law in most developed countries, in addition to resources and lobbyists pushing for laws that work only to their advantage. With that, I'd love the idea that there may be some part of the code in Jagex's program that might be a violation of some poorly worded part of the DMCA so that Jagex is liable for $2000 fine for every computer that downloaded their program. Main point is that Jagex did a good job with altering their code to hinder bots, they showed business sense in trying to encourage botters to play normally (hopefully after getting a heavy rollback), so they shouldn't sully it by threatening legal actions in some vague reference to a poorly thought out lobbyist backed US law.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit