25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

For once I only have one thing to say about Jagex's update:

Jagex, I am not disappoint.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, this is much better than I thought. But I'm slightly uninformed about this: what exactly did Jagex do to eliminate bots so successfully?

To quote myself:

Found this on a bot website, looks like Jagex actually did something quite substantial. I doubt this will keep them away forever, but it'll take a LOT of resources to get around (if I understand what they're saying);

[spoiler=Here]

Yohanu (Speljohan)

they've butchered the client for real all instance variables are gone t's all in a massive object array

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

so youre basically telling me that jagex knew what they were doing this time? and bot owners dont know what theyre in for yet? jacmob etc

Yohanu says

yep

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

are trying to keep their community calm

Yohanu says

i expected them to go this far

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

by saying "oh ill have it in a few hours"

Yohanu says

eventually

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

so

Yohanu says

basically

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

how to get around?

Yohanu says

every object in game is an index in the array rite like every part of game engine the array is just an Object[][] meaning you can't tell what type is in what index and my guess is that everytime you connect all indices are scrambled resulting in something even harder than making a packet bot

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

thats what WoW did it pretty much destroyed private servers

Yohanu says

ll so yeah this is luls pretty sure they do reflection checks now too as a backup in addition to more gradual updates looks bright finally i can actually talk to people in game instead of talking to walls (bots)

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

I quoted this convo

Yohanu says

mk

Frell Bzigalsmichtz says

for the [bleep] mscp 12 year olds who think theyre badass because they can load up a bot and hit start

Yohanu says

ol

Essentially, 'clusterfuster' wasn't just a cute codename. I don't know anything about programming so I don't know for sure, but from what I understand, they took everything in the client, dumped it all into one giant mess and only Jagex knows how to decifer it.

Yeah I think what you said was how I interpreted too. Thanks for this!

ibiteu2death.png

[hide=Funny Quote]

Cbow! Cbow!!!!! +120 range is orgasmic. Or maul, thats what I'd get out of those two options.

I agree with baconisbacon, Cbow looks freaking sensual

Runescape: Where strong weapons bring sexual pleasure.

The size of the e-peen0r is directly proportional to the rarity/power of one's equipment.

[/hide]

I imagine they are celebrating at Jagex Towers - this is a thorn that has been in their side for quite a while now.

For all the talk about bans and resets, I can only see evidence in two skills:

Skill           Oct-22     Oct-25   Gain
Woodcutting     11,156     11,088     68
Fishing         60,535     60,221    314

I am 99 in both those skills, so it seems they got some big dawgs with their purge.

I expected to see a jump in Dung (as it was rumored to be a heavily botted skill), but I see no evidence of a purge there, and I am only level 70. I lost more ranking in Dung than I did in any other “skill.”

FWIW.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I'll admit, I never visited a bot site prior to this update announcement and mentioning about RS Buddy and RiD not only here but on RSOF by the JMods. However, it didn't take long to figure out most of the botters have built almost a religion around the programmers.

Personally, MAD RESPECT to the programmers on both the botter and Jagex's side. Yeah, it's a head to head confrontation, but I think the skills and techniques developed will just continue to improve this and other game systems. Glad to know that things discussed on these forums in the bot thread seem to be close to what Jagex implemented (encrypted array for the call list and items or some such). However, I've zero respect for those on all these forums that think "oh, give it a few hours". They don't know the program, don't know how it works, they just plug and play and mouth off like they're hackers or something.

Now I'm wondering, was Cluster Flutterer intended to be implemented much, much earlier to coincide with Free Trade? This method sounds exactly what MMG was claiming when he said RS could handle the rush of bots and RWT that'd occur when the gates were open. If that's the case, I'm disappointed they didn't hold off Wildy/Free Trade until this method was closer to being ready.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Just thought I'd mention. One of the bots people were talking about here, aka RiD, has their forums and part of their site currently down. Is this just a coincidence or did Jagex release a real-world, lawyer nuke against them at the same time to get the site taken down?

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

I sold some stuff and banked my last 99 buyables in case the bots are down for a long time lol gonna look noob tomorrow at CW without bandos 'omg look at that nawby poor 138 in rune' etc <3:

2480+ total

Just thought I'd mention. One of the bots people were talking about here, aka RiD, has their forums and part of their site currently down. Is this just a coincidence or did Jagex release a real-world, lawyer nuke against them at the same time to get the site taken down?

I highly doubt that when a more reasonable explanation is that all the reflection and injectiong botters (whatever that means) are flocking to the only working bot, RiD.

That being said I have no idea what any of that means, just using conext clues to understand the situation.

Nope its most definitely from the huge influx of reflection/injection bots heading over there to check it out. It should be noted that its vastly inferior to reflection/injection.

L2pullout.png

I'll admit, I never visited a bot site prior to this update announcement and mentioning about RS Buddy and RiD not only here but on RSOF by the JMods. However, it didn't take long to figure out most of the botters have built almost a religion around the programmers.

Personally, MAD RESPECT to the programmers on both the botter and Jagex's side. Yeah, it's a head to head confrontation, but I think the skills and techniques developed will just continue to improve this and other game systems. Glad to know that things discussed on these forums in the bot thread seem to be close to what Jagex implemented (encrypted array for the call list and items or some such). However, I've zero respect for those on all these forums that think "oh, give it a few hours". They don't know the program, don't know how it works, they just plug and play and mouth off like they're hackers or something.

Now I'm wondering, was Cluster Flutterer intended to be implemented much, much earlier to coincide with Free Trade? This method sounds exactly what MMG was claiming when he said RS could handle the rush of bots and RWT that'd occur when the gates were open. If that's the case, I'm disappointed they didn't hold off Wildy/Free Trade until this method was closer to being ready.

Someone want to pass the popcorn?

Mhm. While the responses by the Jagex mods were very similar to their primary userbase, I do believe Jagex have a reason to gloat this time. However, pride before downfall. It's way too early to be celebrating victory. Notice how about 100k active players are basically gone? The bot programers will be fighting back harder than ever.

As for MMG's comment... it could be the case, but I suspect the reality is that they've only recently came up with this whole idea. Unless Jagex was truly, laughably blind, half of your population botting away IS significant enough to warrant instant attention, and not just after free trade. Though, I will note that an eight month turnabout rate isn't bad in the MMO industry - it took SONY years to figure out something was wrong.

Either way, going onto those forums make my head hurt. I'll be remaining cautiously optimistic.

Something to consider. With bots not operational, do you think RWT companies will be more aggressive with hijacking accounts?

I'd assume so. Hijacking accounts and botting are substitutes to each other when dealing with real world trading. If the cost of botting goes up it would be more profitable for these companies to just go after player accounts. Of course if players were smart they'd just tighten up their security and we wouldn't have to worry about this at all.

Man, the rage on the bot forums is just amazing. Hopefully Jagex can keep this up.

As for Gold Sites, I see them turning to Dicers and Stakers to sell them cash, plus hijacking accounts.

I never thought of them actually hiring popular dicing clans such as Win All Day's (just an example) cc to gain their GP for selling... Interesting.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

Man, the rage on the bot forums is just amazing. Hopefully Jagex can keep this up.

As for Gold Sites, I see them turning to Dicers and Stakers to sell them cash, plus hijacking accounts.

I could see this. Besides, Dicing is more profitable than botting anyway to be honest. The pro dicers can make like 500m a day or something... If you sell it at 1 USD/Mill, that's $500 a day.

Ever since their nuke update, I've noticed the number of players online at any single time hasn't reached 100k. Prior to that, there was usually 120k+ at any given moment, school day or not. I guess they are living up to their claim so far.

Can't wait to see how things progress over the week.

While we work behind the scenes on certain projects, we know that sometimes the necessary secrecy can be rather frustrating for players and, as a team, weve all desperately wanted to share details about this upcoming project with the community since the very beginning of the year when we had first believed it was going to be imminently ready. However, sadly sometimes when innovating in multiple uncharted areas it takes a lot longer than expected and we were therefore at necessary pains to keep this project tightly under wraps while completing it and, crucially, not giving bot makers any information or warning that could assist them in working around it or preparing for it.

Taken from http://services.runescape.com/m=news/bot-busting-and-bonuses-for-all

Neltak.png

I could see this. Besides, Dicing is more profitable than botting anyway to be honest. The pro dicers can make like 500m a day or something... If you sell it at 1 USD/Mill, that's $500 a day.

It also creates a cycle. Dicers sell gp to gold sites, who sell to players, who use it to dice with. And despite how much I'm against RWT, if you offered me $500 a day to do it, I wouldn't think twice.

Ever since their nuke update, I've noticed the number of players online at any single time hasn't reached 100k. Prior to that, there was usually 120k+ at any given moment, school day or not. I guess they are living up to their claim so far.

Can't wait to see how things progress over the week.

Yeah, I have to say. I'm (pleasantly) surprised that there are only ~53K people online right now. When was the last time that happened?

Wealth will also get spread around as lower levels will find a way to make money. The way the game is now, there were only a few viable moneymakers most of them being high level and requiring a good investment in skills like herblore, prayer and summoning. Sure a few people will complain about the rise in resources but they are just being selfish.

Quoted for truth. What drove newbies and lower players away or to bot or RWT, was because nothing would make decent income. F2P wise, you'd be lucky to rake in 50k hr. P2P especially with green dragons, 100k hr max. (these are just rough guesses before some efficiency troll jumps me)

Hell, @ 62 cb I was trying to out-hit multiple level 120 geen drag bots for my slayer task of 64. I only managed to kill 2 in 30 mins. THAT was disgusting.

Popoto.~<3

Also, for those worried about the prices of raw materials. This also feeds into wealth being spread out more. The lower levels may not like it, but it gives a reason to pick up their rusty hatchets and pickaxes again and make some decent cash. Yes, of course their are better methods, but as the market stabilizes itself over time, resource gathering will be more profitable than it was pre-Bot-Nuke-Day.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Well they actually did it. Wow.

But can they prevent new bots is the real question.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I've been reading some threads on botting sites for a while. Funny stuff. I like how every single reference to "Jagex" is "[Jagex]".

This bot nuke does look promising, but then again there was a time when I thought the PS3 couldn't be hacked due to the absurd level of security tech SONY crammed into that console. It's likely that client based bots will re emerge sometime in the (near?) future.