25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

Apparently according to twitter RiD bots are still working. Now I've not heard of them before today (are they the 2% jagex cant detect?) but from what I gather it reads the screen and uses AI to control the mouse :S

Most people call them colour bots. The update wont affect them, because they interact with the legitimate game client. I expect to see a huge surge in the number of people using these (they are inferior to the other bots, but way harder for the server and probably Jagex staff to detect).

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you have got the wrong idea of what this update was.

Firstly, they introduced a mechanic in the coding which stops bots from working correctly (Bots being a general term, not individual players).

At no point did Jagex say they were banning every bot in the game, just 'stopping' them from working.

Feel free to quote anything against which i may not have seen.

Good day

Miseryism | Completionist

Apparently according to twitter RiD bots are still working. Now I've not heard of them before today (are they the 2% jagex cant detect?) but from what I gather it reads the screen and uses AI to control the mouse :S

Thats what I've heard. They are also expensive (Pay by the hour). Doubt it will get too popular.

Well just checked my stats in the hiscores and ...

I've lost one rank over-all since the update.

:rolleyes:

Jagex never said there would be 1.5M bans going along with this. They said that they had recently banned 1.5M bots. All this does is prevent bots from continuing to bot. Doesn't ban them.

Then every bot they've "banned" must've been an F2P noob account. That is, if they actually banned any accounts for botting.

What about the high level botted accounts in P2P? They're not going to ban them? :rolleyes:

Well, they released the program that stops bots from working as an update. Most bots are usually down after an update anyways, so naturally there aren't going to be any on for them to ban. And really, most of the ex-bots probably won't be banned, because if the botting program doesn't work, they're not going to log on.

So unless some moron tries to use his old, broken bot, then you aren't going to go up in ranks without gaining XP due to this.

Just for the sake of asking then what is, essentially, a stupid question: why impose anti-botting measures if you're not going to permanently ban the bots? :rolleyes:

Because it means you don't have to ban the bots to keep them out of the game.

Really, what Jagex is trying to do is get rid of the bots, not ban them all. Banning was just one technique they used - granted, they didn't use it as well as it could have been utilized, but if the newly added solution works, then it's better than trying to ban all the bots.

a70c7.png

Guys, I think it's worth pointing out that they said this would affect reflection bots only. Not all bots run on reflection. Arguably the most popular botting client runs without reflection, thus wouldn't be affected by this new 'anti-reflection' tactic.

If you want to check for the reflection bots being gone, quit assuming that all bots are reflection based.

Well, I'd really prefer the botters to be perma-banned, but if I were to have a choice between disabling their SW or having Jagex manually ban X/h when the influx is 1.5X/h, I'll take the SW disabling. As for whether or not it was successful we probably won't know completely for a day or two.

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

Ty Jeppoz for making it. Thx to the Pup for finding it after it got lost :D And thx to Kill_Life and Turtle for the ava.

Stoltenberg, 22/7-11: "We will retaliate with more democracy" In remembrance of Oslo/Utøya. May we never forget, nor be pulled down to the level of the beast

Reflection and Injection to be precise. The jmod who wrote the news article wasn't a techie, and another Jmod clarified it a bit early on in one of their stikies (page 4 of something).

And they never said anything about banning. Their intention is to break them so they don't work anymore.

... and are the bots actually stopped?

I haven't seen any reports on here yet that indicate they have been.

That's because the people on here have the common sense to grasp that it will be a day at the minimum before anyone can say anything of the sort...

Not saying you don't have common sense, just that's why you're not getting the instant gratification you're seeking so desperately.

Well - if I didn't know any better, I'd say that I was just insulted. :shame:

... and I think my point is valid. So far, I've seen nothing to indicate that bots aren't working. And I have seen NO evidence whatsoever that any accounts have been banned.

And considering the "hype" surrounding a "BOT NUKE" scenario, one would think that such indications would be broad-based and instantaneous. That is, you know, one of the principals of a "nuke".

This seems more like a "bot war on terror", that's going to dredge on for years and years ... :rolleyes:

I'd say that Kimberly has a point. You're actually making soundbites now and making huge assumptions. Be patient, and we'll come to a consensus once all of the hype has died down.

Maybe its a trap, they monitor the game client and any information read but 3rd party = flag/ban?? makes sence to me so the botters think its safe, bot and get banned idk it seems possible

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I would love to see the bot companies getting their bots to work after 5-8 hours and then jagex doing the same thing every day (by changing code etc.) So that the bot makers would have to spend 5-8hours every day to work it out :P

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Bleh wherever i want to click I need to move my mouse lower then where it is supposed to be, it is a mac specific problem i believe and i am using the client! i tried switching some things but then when I dungeoneer, random black lines appear after every door is opened haha, any suggestions?

What graphics "mode" are you on? I hear there are some bugs with DitectX mode. Try changing that setting around, they say OpenGL is your best bet.

Yeah i just looked around, the problem is fixed when i switch to software mode, and i play on minimum settings, but when i try to dungeoneer the black lines show up after every door is opened which is annoying, im going to try to look around some more.

Just click on the "auto setup" mode and it is fixed ;)

It didnt work.

Bleh wherever i want to click I need to move my mouse lower then where it is supposed to be, it is a mac specific problem i believe and i am using the client! i tried switching some things but then when I dungeoneer, random black lines appear after every door is opened haha, any suggestions?

What graphics "mode" are you on? I hear there are some bugs with DitectX mode. Try changing that setting around, they say OpenGL is your best bet.

Yeah i just looked around, the problem is fixed when i switch to software mode, and i play on minimum settings, but when i try to dungeoneer the black lines show up after every door is opened which is annoying, im going to try to look around some more.

Just click on the "auto setup" mode and it is fixed ;)

It didnt work.

There are alot of graphical glitches out right now, like invisible people at ge and house glories dissapearing etc. Its gotta be due to the whole update but I really havent a clue.

botsz.png

Well, it did something, that's for sure. Let's see how this pans out.

Of course the bot coders aren't going to act panicked. They just put on their poker face and hope nobody realises their bot scripts are majorly boned.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

That's because the people on here have the common sense to grasp that it will be a day at the minimum before anyone can say anything of the sort...

Not saying you don't have common sense, just that's why you're not getting the instant gratification you're seeking so desperately.

... and I think my point is valid. So far, I've seen nothing to indicate that bots aren't working. And I have seen NO evidence whatsoever that any accounts have been banned.

And considering the "hype" surrounding a "BOT NUKE" scenario, one would think that such indications would be broad-based and instantaneous. That is, you know, one of the principals of a "nuke".

This seems more like a "bot war on terror", that's going to dredge on for years and years ... :rolleyes:

I'd say that Kimberly has a point. You're actually making soundbites now and making huge assumptions. Be patient, and we'll come to a consensus once all of the hype has died down.

Right -- I really being told to "know my place" -- got it. Mods and Admins are about to flood the thread with pro-Jagex nonsense.

Thanks! So much for any real debate on the issue.

Is it okay to come back later and say I told you so?

nyuseg.png

Go ahead and look through my posting history and you tell me if I'm pro-Jagex. *sigh*

I don't mind friendly debating, but don't be ridiculous.

Of course the bot coders aren't going to act panicked. They just put on their poker face and hope nobody realises their bot scripts are majorly boned.

Realistically, there's no reason for them to panic yet.

hzvjpwS.gif

Right -- I really being told to "know my place" -- got it. Mods and Admins are about to flood the thread with pro-Jagex nonsense.

If there's any post that showcases Blyaunte's famebating troll nature better, I can't find it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Am I the only one that doesn't care about bans as long as these bots never work again?

It's a justice sort of thing. It think it would be a little off if these botters could just walk away with all their accounts in tact. But frankly, I'm perfectly fine with it as long as their bots never work again. Others, however, want botters to pay in blood; such blood being that of some dummy accounts that the botters never really cared about anyway.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Nice way to generalise people, why do you always have to have criticism about everything. I agree with her, it is only logic that you can't say anything yet about if it did work when the update was today and it was a huge update against bots, this is not a very long quest you can solve in a few hours.

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Am I the only one that doesn't care about bans as long as these bots never work again?

No you are not the only one. Although if you look at the 200m all thread you can see that people are showing statics of bots being banned with 99 stats.

Retired item crew

Honestly wish they would've waited a week, lol. I'm almost entirely sure that SW can't survive the way it did without bots. Have ~2/3 zeal I need for Hybrid legs and that's all I was really interested in doing.

Hybrid legs may as well have become discontinued, unless it turns into 120-125+ V all.

Just to be clear, winning in SW practically came down to which team had fewer bots and more real, organized people. Now that it may be organized people V organized people, it'll probably come down to combat levels and ancients, like CW but without as much skill.

Sorry self concerned ^ :P

Will be happy to see less. I'm sure someone remembers me saying it before, but I've always hated the visual impact most bots had on in-game immersion.

2dgucz6.png

I'm fishing sharkies at Catherby. There were +-20 people around there before update and now I'm all alone.

Not sure whether everyone is busy slaying but that's a good sign, ain't it?

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

To everyone: its still hard to tell what exactly they did that supposedly stopped botters, because there really isnt anything out in the open other than alot of graphical glitches now... so maybe (considering their "fix" to frost drags) the glitches is some part of the fix? and we really won't know the real extent of their fix until later in the week, or maybe longer than that.