Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 1st January 2012

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

tripsis
[ Display Name History ]

tripsis

The Fuzz

• Administrators
  • 21,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Tripsis
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

EDITORIAL PANEL DISCUSSION THREAD:
This thread is for discussing and debating the week's articles. If you would like to comment on the overall structure or direction of the Editorial Panel, please use the discussion topic in the Website Discussion forum.

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Read these rules before posting in this thread

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!
Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -
- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies

Though she remains truly and irreversibly dead, her legacy lives on in the mind of one crazed penguin

<3

Beaumonde
[ Display Name History ]

Beaumonde

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,186 posts
  • RSN:Beaumonde
Regarding The Great TIF Survey: I was honestly expecting the average age range to be much older. I wish there was a way to measure maturity, because TIF posters must be mature beyond their age from what I've seen the years I've been posting.

Lose No Hope
[ Display Name History ]

Lose No Hope

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • RSN:Lose No Hope
  • Clan:DGS
Very well directed article, Bly. Some of your points I couldn't have expressed better.

April appears to be my favorite month for updates ;)

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs
It was interesting to see the survey. I too, would've thought that tip.iters would be older on average :P

Not quite sure how I feel about the second article...I guess it's for fun, and you got me grinning a few times...but I don't know, the way it is setup, as if it was the truth is kinda weird for me. But that's probably just some personal issues, idk.

The article on efficiency was very interesting and well writte. I can totally relate to the feeling of fun you get out of figuring out how the game works. I'm not an efficienado myself, but for me it's penguins :P I've learned a lot about how NPCs move and stuff like that in my years of playing the game and it really is quite fascinating :P

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RSN:Ambler3
  • RSN2:Joe Tiko
  • Clan:EoE.... Sometimes.
An epic year ip ahead, these new Harpies should be fun. :thumbsup:
(Survey was interesting too, I'm 15 with 9 years of playing RuneScape, slightly out of the average :lol: )

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
I didn't expect the survey, or its results - I didn't realize that the average person here had played 'Scape for an average of six years.

Explains a lot of what's going on (in terms of morale) rather neatly, if I do say so myself...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • RSN:Cultjunky
First and foremost...

Phat's off to the Tip.it Times staff. I really didn't expect issues to be released over the holiday period, thank you all. :thumbsup:

Hamataro article -

I was one of the participants. Or at least I filled in a survey. I also was surprised by the results. For one thing, I expected the average age to be lower than it appeared. Using the data for folks that posted in November seems reasonable, but maybe if the post count was upped it would have changed the result. Just look at my joining date and number of posts! I'm a long time lurker on the forums, but rarely feel the need to add a comment, often because "yeah, me too" or "I think the same" seems pointless. However, I think that the criteria seems sound (I'm not a statiisticion, so feel free to quibble) but I do wonder if the criteria was applied to, say around a major update like bot nuke day for instance, when the forums seemed busy prior and post the update, we might get a very different demographic resulting. Then again, my expectations are based on my in game experience, not my forum experience.

Monkeychee -

If only! More of this kind of article, and we will get a mention in the 'Computer game urban myth' dictionary! I loved it. Let's hope Jagex is watching. (As an aside, I've often thought that if Jagex placed some random event/item drop/conversation without making the event/item/drop/conversation public knowledge, it would be a VERY intriguing aspect of the game)

Jaffy1 -

I too have a whole world of D&D from RS, y'no, those irritating things like work and family, lol. So I also want to train efficiently. I used to spend hours working out drop rates, best places to smith, etc, but ended up spending less time playing that working out the best way to play! Kudos to the 'effiacienados' that take the time out and publish their findings, they are the unsung heros of any fansite. But it can become obsessive. After all, I'm not taking time out between the clicks to chat to anyone, or even glance at the DVD I might have put on. Which misses the point of the game for me. I really don't mind if I plan to run laws for an hour, but spend half of it directing someone with a clue. After all, when I first started RS, so many people answered my noob questions, I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't answer some myself (to misquote a fave book of mine)

All in all, a great start to the Times 2012.
Posted Image

MonkeyChee
[ Display Name History ]

MonkeyChee

Scorpion Pit

• Editorial Panel
  • 605 posts
  • RSN:MonkeyChee

First and foremost...

Phat's off to the Tip.it Times staff. I really didn't expect issues to be released over the holiday period, thank you all. :thumbsup:

Hamataro article -

I was one of the participants. Or at least I filled in a survey. I also was surprised by the results. For one thing, I expected the average age to be lower than it appeared. Using the data for folks that posted in November seems reasonable, but maybe if the post count was upped it would have changed the result. Just look at my joining date and number of posts! I'm a long time lurker on the forums, but rarely feel the need to add a comment, often because "yeah, me too" or "I think the same" seems pointless. However, I think that the criteria seems sound (I'm not a statiisticion, so feel free to quibble) but I do wonder if the criteria was applied to, say around a major update like bot nuke day for instance, when the forums seemed busy prior and post the update, we might get a very different demographic resulting. Then again, my expectations are based on my in game experience, not my forum experience.

Monkeychee -

If only! More of this kind of article, and we will get a mention in the 'Computer game urban myth' dictionary! I loved it. Let's hope Jagex is watching. (As an aside, I've often thought that if Jagex placed some random event/item drop/conversation without making the event/item/drop/conversation public knowledge, it would be a VERY intriguing aspect of the game)

Jaffy1 -

I too have a whole world of D&D from RS, y'no, those irritating things like work and family, lol. So I also want to train efficiently. I used to spend hours working out drop rates, best places to smith, etc, but ended up spending less time playing that working out the best way to play! Kudos to the 'effiacienados' that take the time out and publish their findings, they are the unsung heros of any fansite. But it can become obsessive. After all, I'm not taking time out between the clicks to chat to anyone, or even glance at the DVD I might have put on. Which misses the point of the game for me. I really don't mind if I plan to run laws for an hour, but spend half of it directing someone with a clue. After all, when I first started RS, so many people answered my noob questions, I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't answer some myself (to misquote a fave book of mine)

All in all, a great start to the Times 2012.

Thanks for the kind words, however Alg wrote the second article, I just edited :razz: (Same goes for the 3rd, Blyaunte was the author). Glad you enjoyed them though!

r4x9.png

260pifq.jpg
gikxIau.png

Mythological
[ Display Name History ]

Mythological

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
Amazing survey. I'm a little below the average age, but I'll catch up. :P

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I'm liking the survey data.

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • RSN:Cultjunky
Doh! <3:

I'm sure the editing was AWSOME, but I did really mean the authors.

In real life, I'm not blond, but I have this inner blond pixie... if only there was a support group.
Posted Image

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

Doh! <3:

In real life, I'm not blond, but I have this inner blond pixie... if only there was a support group.

It is a group effort on the EP, and I doubt that anyone blames you for a little slip up.

MonkeyChee
[ Display Name History ]

MonkeyChee

Scorpion Pit

• Editorial Panel
  • 605 posts
  • RSN:MonkeyChee

Doh! <3:

It is a group effort on the EP, and I doubt that anyone blames you for a little slip up.

Very true, just wanted to clear it up :razz:

r4x9.png

260pifq.jpg
gikxIau.png

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts
  • RSN:Ms Julie

First and foremost...

As previously pointed out, I merely edited Blyaunte's article, but thank you so much for the kind words. I think it's safe to say we all appreciate it greatly. :)

I really don't mind if I plan to run laws for an hour, but spend half of it directing someone with a clue. After all, when I first started RS, so many people answered my noob questions, I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't answer some myself (to misquote a fave book of mine)

I can totally relate to that. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Tip.It Website Crew Leader
Quotes

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,603 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly
All very interesting stuff, though I'd have to say its the survey that really caught my eye. I had totally forgotten that was going on (I was one of the respondents).

There are 3 more sets of graphs I would love to see if possible. I would like to see the age, education, and opinion of Jagex graphs again, but this time split them up by gender. I would be very interested to see how they compare to each other.

And I had to laugh at the other category in North America. I am guessing that 3% is either from Mexico, or people from Quebec being funny. Since you called it other and not Mexico, I have to wonder if it was a combination of the two? I'd love to know what the breakdown for that 3% was too.

The teasers were interesting, though I have to admit I am very tentative about the idea of a Graphics month. I am envinsioning even higher computer loads, and an interactive content free month. Then again, I have a lot of agility (and farming apparently :evil: ) training to do, so no new distractions could be good for me.

Also, a good article by Bly. It is nice to see another perspective on the issue, and it might reduce the arguing surrounding the issue too, which would be a relief for everyone I'm sure.

b6brc9.jpg

ghjkl
[ Display Name History ]

ghjkl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
Is the bts real?

NJE03
[ Display Name History ]

NJE03

Sic Vita Est

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • RSN:NJE03

Is the bts real?

Based on the tags for the article, I do not believe so.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Stats:

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
Just so there's no confusion, Behind the Scenes 2012 is humorous fiction. Alg thought we should start the year off with a smile. :)

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Hamtaro
[ Display Name History ]

Hamtaro

Skeleton Shield

• Editorial Panel
  • 1,174 posts
  • RSN:Hamtaro
  • Clan:HamChiP3ace

All very interesting stuff, though I'd have to say its the survey that really caught my eye. I had totally forgotten that was going on (I was one of the respondents).

There are 3 more sets of graphs I would love to see if possible. I would like to see the age, education, and opinion of Jagex graphs again, but this time split them up by gender. I would be very interested to see how they compare to each other.

And I had to laugh at the other category in North America. I am guessing that 3% is either from Mexico, or people from Quebec being funny. Since you called it other and not Mexico, I have to wonder if it was a combination of the two? I'd love to know what the breakdown for that 3% was too.

For North America, there was 1 Costa Rican and 1 Mexican. I grouped those from Quebec into Canada.
Graphs

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.
Posted Image
"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users