JAGEX LIMITED v.IMPULSE SOFTWARE, ERIC SNELLMAN, and MARK SNELLMAN

Mercifull

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is indeed hopeful news. Dare we hope that the dream of a completely bot-free RuneScape may come to pass? :ohnoes:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Probably a reference to the upcoming Transformers Universe game.

So they're fighting bots with bigger bots? That's... Actually a strategy that I could get behind. :thumbup:

Inb4 the anti-bot measure is getting the bots to move to a different game :thumbup:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So they're fighting bots with bigger bots? That's... Actually a strategy that I could get behind. :thumbup:

Now that's a game I'd love to play. :lol:

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Don't be silly. Signs of a bot is having any stats at all high levelled or close to max, along with not talking to random noobs or talking too much. You are also a bot if you have more than 10mil bank or a quest cape or if you gather any sort of resource for yourself.
Also wearing low level/welfare gear as that is designated "bot gear" also high levelled armour as only bots can afford it due to cheating their wealth.

You have to respond to everything anyone asks you instantly, otherwise you're probably a bot. If someone asks you your woodcutting level, you better respond. They aren't just trying to spark a friendly chat, they're interrogating you.

If you see someone on a slayer assignment attacking monsters that spawn before you can react, they're obviously a bot. Nobody could possibly react to a monster spawning within 0.6 seconds, that's just beyond human capability!

Training in strange places also makes you a bot. Hell, even killing two guards in Edgeville automatically classifies you as an inhuman cheating automaton. I mean who does that?

Only bots play RuneScape. Real players complain about the game on RSOF

queste.png303/324

A lot of people say that international lawsuits are difficult to win, but Jagex has proven otherwise. Great job to their legal team. :D

I must acknowledge that they've earned back some of the respect I had lost for them over the removal of the F2P hiscores.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Disappointed the name of the new software, Optimus, isn't as cool as Cluster Flutterer :P

That had to be the worst trailer/teaser video I've ever seen (The link). Makes me not want to play it at all, TBH. Looks like an extremely boring game...

09144a99bb.png

Disappointed the name of the new software, Optimus, isn't as cool as Cluster Flutterer :P

That had to be the worst trailer/teaser video I've ever seen (The link). Makes me not want to play it at all, TBH. Looks like an extremely boring game...

It completlely lacks any music that would make it epic, it just shows a transformation that people have already seen a gazillion times and there's next to no hint of how the game will be. I agree, it's a horrible trailer.

Transformers: Bot Busters In Disguise.

That would be pretty neat. :blink:

"Player #165392J, you have been marked as a bot, and will shortly be terminated."

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Transformers: Bot Busters In Disguise.

That would be pretty neat. :blink:

"Player #165392J, you have been marked as a bot, and will shortly be terminated."

I wish Jagex would do some flashy bot banning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYzlP_9w_c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFCX2Oa-Zo

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Flashy bot banning is a bit of a double edged sword imo, it's like the asbo (anti social behaviour order) in british law.

On the one hand it shows something is being done; but on the other hand it becomes a badge of honour within certain social groups.

The same could apply here, on the one hand it would show something being done, but on the other hand it could cause people to try to trigger it because it looks cool.

Though it would be a nice way to recycle old random event NPCs, especially if they do plan to get rid of most of them; like revenge of the tree spirits and rock golems and river trolls heck even tangle vine could be put to use.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I wish Jagex would do some flashy bot banning.

Anyone remember the community events they did early last year where a JMod logged in with some players and they went bot hunting? Remember how effective it wasn't? Flashy is good to promote the company line of 0 tolerance but does little in reality to actually solve the problem.

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

Anyone remember the community events they did early last year where a JMod logged in with some players and they went bot hunting? Remember how effective it wasn't? Flashy is good to promote the company line of 0 tolerance but does little in reality to actually solve the problem.

The JMod bot hunts weren't successful because they announced when they were going to happen.

The JMod bot hunts weren't successful because they announced when they were going to happen.

When I won an hour with a Jmod from Tipit, I took him bot busting for the first while. It was terribly slow to get them. Even though they were in 'bot gear' with names like 'fryjcehfjnu', he still had to go through plenty of steps to ban them. It's much more efficient to just let the players report bots, send the accused through a program to check, and have a Jmod manually hit the 'ban button' than to have a Jmod do it all.

That's really not the case. There were far more busts going on than you know of.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

That's really not the case. There were far more busts going on than you know of.

They are still terribly inefficient. The only thing they would be good for is to visibly have jmods banning which may make some botters afraid. But I don't think that worked that well. It's really just a waste of time.

They are still terribly inefficient. The only thing they would be good for is to visibly have jmods banning which may make some botters afraid. But I don't think that worked that well. It's really just a waste of time.

It's not really to make the botters afraid, it's to entertain the player base at the expense of the bots and an active reminder that there are bans going on. For instance, in the Guild Wars video I had up, when a player is banned while logged in, a giant reaper comes out of the ground and slays them. No intervention needed, it's just basically an animation that accompanies a kick/ban command.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If they wanted to pursue the whole entertainment route, there's a lot of fun stuff they could do. For instance, instead of banning people, putting them in a prison of sorts where they have to perform menial tasks for a few hundreds hours in order to get out. Of course players would be able to visit the prison and throw tomatoes. They could also go the gladiator route, make banned accounts fight each other in a tournament of sorts, and the winner of the tournament gets to walk free while the losers get back to prison. They could create huge drop parties where all the items from the banned accounts' banks fall from the sky for everyone to pick up, with the online banned players in attendance of course, in suspended cages. They could create a reception mansion of sorts where banned players are forced to dance, serve drinks, polish your dragon boots and such, failure to perform a task within x seconds meaning perm ban. The possibilities are endless and rather appealing.

2480+ total

If they wanted to pursue the whole entertainment route, there's a lot of fun stuff they could do. For instance, instead of banning people, putting them in a prison of sorts where they have to perform menial tasks for a few hundreds hours in order to get out. Of course players would be able to visit the prison and throw tomatoes. They could also go the gladiator route, make banned accounts fight each other in a tournament of sorts, and the winner of the tournament gets to walk free while the losers get back to prison. They could create huge drop parties where all the items from the banned accounts' banks fall from the sky for everyone to pick up, with the online banned players in attendance of course, in suspended cages. They could create a reception mansion of sorts where banned players are forced to dance, serve drinks, polish your dragon boots and such, failure to perform a task within x seconds meaning perm ban. The possibilities are endless and rather appealing.

The whole thing about forcing an account to do X for a certain amount of time wouldn't exactly work on throwaway accounts, since they would just ignore it.

Tournaments would be pretty entertaining, as would a reception mansion of sorts.

Distributing items amongst the community would be problematic (whole sorts of issues as to when the drop parties are, who gets what, etc etc), but still decent. They could even have an NPC with an exclusive POH with stuff that's gained from bots, RWTers, and scammers - and the house gets bigger as they go along.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Don't forget that even civil cases have an appeals process. Let's hope the bot makers won't appeal and get the ruling reversed.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Don't forget that even civil cases have an appeals process. Let's hope the bot makers won't appeal and get the ruling reversed.

I'm wondering if this is why Jagex waited a week to announce the win; to see if they would appeal or not. An appeals process wouldn't be free, so they wouldn't pursue that unless they really thought they could win. I don't know if the house being up for collateral is a standard practice, or if that's a sign that they already owe Jagex so much money now that its putting them in financial trouble, and the house is on the line because the courts weren't sure they could actually pay the whole amount.