Tipping

Da Pirates

Hah, talking about deliveries: truck drivers. Nobody ever tips them, yet they go through perilious roads and weather. Hell, sometimes THEY have to pay to get the load off the trailer.

Pizza delivers got it easy.

Truckers get paid per mile right?

Per mile, per load.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tip the odd time at at bar or restaurant, but it's not compulsory. I always tip Taxi men here, though.

Oh and I tip delivery folks (Pizza/Chinese/Off Licence).

RIP Michaelangelopolous

i tip 20% to servers cause I know how much it sucks. $3 valet, 15% to pizza delivery...$5 for beer runs...

Tipping is an essential part of the economy

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

As I posted, I only tip if I had good service, but there's more to it. I tip very well when I do tip, and I do not tip when I'm not satisfied of the job.

The exception is that when I go to bars or clubs I will always give a very fat tip at least the first drink, this way they usually go to me first when I go for another drink. It gives them a good tip, and I get better service, which is why I don't regret giving bigger tips.

In the US, servers at restaurants make under minimum wage, with the understanding that they make tips. As a standard, their income is taxed at an expected rate of 12-15% of the food they serve. If a server serves $100 in food, Uncle Sam expects them to have made $12-15 on it, and taxes them accordingly.

The other thing too is that when a customer is unhappy and sends back their food or the restaurant "eats" the bill, it really is being taken out of the server's wages.

I'm not sure how many of you (in the US) have been in the service industry. It sucks. I worked as a caddy from ages 13-16. My base pay was $17, Iirc minimum wage was $7.35 at the time. That's four hours of hard, manual labor for about $4.25 an hour. Yes, I know it was my job to carry a 40-50 lb bag around 18 holes of golf in 80-90 degree weather. Yes, I know it was my job to clean balls and clubs, replace divets, spot balls, walk off distances, tend the pin while not stepping in peoples putting paths and being absolutely silent.

Tips are expected. If I knew I was going to caddy for tight wads, I probably wouldn't have showed up.

If I have no complaints about my service at a restaurant or at a hair salon, my base tip is 20%. Usually I'll round my bill up to a quarter or dollar amount. I never forget to tip, and make a point of it. I've only had one time when I tipped $.02... We ordered our drinks, waited 15 minutes before getting them. Waited another 20 minutes before we pulled the manager to order our food, and after being served didn't see our waiter until the check. Had to wait an extra 15 minutes for him to pick it up, considered just walking out. I haven't been back to that restaurant since.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I don't tend to tip unless they've been really nice and I've found them to be good waiters/servers ect. I don't really eat out much at all anyway so if there's a service charge already added on (something I hate, I might add) I'll usually just pay. I really dislike service charges added on since it's assuming you want to give them a tip, bugs me.

As for pizza delivery ect, we don't tend to tip them over here. I personally find that 90% of the time the delivery comes late/just on the estimate, the person isn't particularly friendly. They're just doing their job. I already paid for it. When it comes to fast food, however, I have a tendency of regularly going to the same place. For pretty much 10 years me and my family went to the same pizza place fairly regularly. Now I've moved I've found a pizza place which I *always* go to, sometimes 2-4 times a week (though we're trying to cut down! :P). The food is great and the guy there knows us. Whenever we come in to order he's really nice and asks me if I want a garlic bread - it's what I always order. I don't tip, but if I like the food or service I'll come back - and that seems like a decent deal.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I think the reason it has become social etiquette is because they have wages lower than minimum. If they don't receive tips they will not be able to survive on that job. It's idiotic really, they should just be paid minimum wage and tips should be for excellent service.

I hate the US more and more with every passing week.

PM me for fitocracy invite

I only really tip in restaurants and occasionally delivery drivers. Taxi drivers are a funny one as sometimes they add an extra charge on at the end which in my mind, constitutes a tip. We've even had a taxi driver demand £10 up front as a deposit that we'd actually pay and not just bail when he stopped the car. They can be sound as anything or extraordinary dicks.

Whats the "etiquette" surrounding tipping in bars/pubs in America?

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I only really tip in restaurants and occasionally delivery drivers. Taxi drivers are a funny one as sometimes they add an extra charge on at the end which in my mind, constitutes a tip. We've even had a taxi driver demand £10 up front as a deposit that we'd actually pay and not just bail when he stopped the car. They can be sound as anything or extraordinary dicks.

Whats the "etiquette" surrounding tipping in bars/pubs in America?

It's encouraged.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Seriously, who does this? You are basically paying people to do their job - which is the duty of their employer. Maybe people should find a new job if they complain about the pay being low. You shouldn't have a salary that has the majority dictated on how much the consumers give you.

Thoughts/Opinions?

I haven't read through this thread, because it's silly, you tip because you NEVER [bleep] with the people who serve your food ...

/thread

nyuseg.png

Seriously? You should tip as long as the person isn't rude. I don't see how this can be debated like this?

I swear, self-entitlement is the downfall of the recent generations.

I would like to clarify as well. Just because a waiter or so on shouldn't be paid less than minimum wage doesn't mean you let it out on the waiter/whatever. What's that going to accomplish? Nothing, except a person who is wrongly paid less than he or she should be getting paid even less!

ozXHe7P.png

Seriously? You should tip as long as the person isn't rude. I don't see how this can be debated like this?

So you tip the guy at the checkouts in supermarkets or shop assistants? Do you tip the bus driver? Etc...

No. They get paid for their job, and so do waiters. If the managers take advantage of the social norm that tipping has become and pay less than minimum wage then that's something that should be sorted, but people shouldn't feel obligated to tip because someone is taking advantage of the system.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

So you tip the guy at the checkouts in supermarkets or shop assistants? Do you tip the bus driver? Etc...

No. They get paid for their job, and so do waiters. If the managers take advantage of the social norm that tipping has become and pay less than minimum wage then that's something that should be sorted, but people shouldn't feel obligated to tip because someone is taking advantage of the system.

Do checkouts get paid largely below minimum wages? Shop assistants? Bus drivers? Etc... Therefore, your point is entirely invalid; you ignored the other part of my post, obviously. Where I said that waiters and so on get paid under minimum wage. Fight the people that are causing this, not the waitress. Don't like tipping? Don't eat out.

[hide=Random off-topic point]Again, this is why charities don't work, either. Yea, you have some people donating, but not enough. This is why social welfare is a necessary evil. This is why taxes are a necessary evil. So on.[/hide]

ozXHe7P.png

Do checkouts get paid largely below minimum wages? Shop assistants? Bus drivers? Etc... Therefore, your point is entirely invalid; you ignored the other part of my post, obviously. Where I said that waiters and so on get paid under minimum wage. Fight the people that are causing this, not the waitress. Don't like tipping? Don't eat out.

[hide=Random off-topic point]Again, this is why charities don't work, either. Yea, you have some people donating, but not enough. This is why social welfare is a necessary evil. This is why taxes are a necessary evil. So on.[/hide]

There's no valid reason why an employer should pay under minimum wage with the expectation that servers would receive sufficient tips to supplement a sub-par income. The fundamental purpose of tipping - to express gratitude in monetary form, has been lost. It's no longer a choice, it's now a obligation - whereby tipping is essentially mandatory.

It ought to be a choice, based on the level of service provided (which serves as an incentive for service industry employees to go beyond their employer's expectations), as it's simply unfair that there's essentially a hidden fee - not because the service provided were excellent, but because the employees are being exploited. If tipping weren't mandatory, we'd see earnings more reflective of the actual quality of services being provided.

I prefer the UK system, whereby wages are sufficient to meet the national minimum wage standard. If the system needs changing, then the first thing that needs changing would be the tipping itself - when that changes, employers would be forced to adjust to new wage rates. It's absurd to suggest that the patrons are responsible for the exploitation of employees.

One could argue that by having employers underpay their waiters and waitresses, the workers will always strive for excellent service so that people will tip. Otherwise, if they're getting paid for whatever then what's the point of continually checking up on your group rather than a group of their friends?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I wasn't aware of that fact I was living in Russia under the Five Year Plans. For a moment there I was mistaken for thinking we were living in an economically emancipated society with basic workers' rights, as opposed to feudalistic serfdom. But if any argument, however tenuous, means I should feel obliged to tip waiters, then I guess it's fine.

There's no valid reason why an employer should pay under minimum wage with the expectation that servers would receive sufficient tips to supplement a sub-par income. The fundamental purpose of tipping - to express gratitude in monetary form, has been lost. It's no longer a choice, it's now a obligation - whereby tipping is essentially mandatory.

It ought to be a choice, based on the level of service provided (which serves as an incentive for service industry employees to go beyond their employer's expectations), as it's simply unfair that there's essentially a hidden fee - not because the service provided were excellent, but because the employees are being exploited. If tipping weren't mandatory, we'd see earnings more reflective of the actual quality of services being provided.

I prefer the UK system, whereby wages are sufficient to meet the national minimum wage standard. If the system needs changing, then the first thing that needs changing would be the tipping itself - when that changes, employers would be forced to adjust to new wage rates. It's absurd to suggest that the patrons are responsible for the exploitation of employees.

Your so-called "solution" only hurts the waiter or whoever else. Not the employer, not anyone else. So again, I fail to see how it will solve anything. Instead, the waiters would have to get another job to sustain themselves, if they don't have another one already. Which is not so easy, especially in this economy.

People are under the assumption that an employer cares about its employees. That is true to this extent: as long as the employee is profitable. Why do you think companies outsource? Is it to help the economies of China and Taiwan and so many others, and provide money for their poor citizens? No. It is to make more money. If a company here could legally get away with paying an employee peanuts per hour, I don't doubt many would be in uproar over the law. Rather, they'd try their best to pay employees peanuts on the hour, and for as long as they are able to get away with it, they will continue.

I wasn't aware of that fact I was living in Russia under the Five Year Plans. For a moment there I was mistaken for thinking we were living in an economically emancipated society with basic workers' rights, as opposed to feudalistic serfdom. But if any argument, however tenuous, means I should feel obliged to tip waiters, then I guess it's fine.

Pardon? I don't understand your point. In the United States, waiters and waitresses, among other jobs, get paid less than minimum wage. Consequently, it would either take them more hours or tips to sustain themselves at a reasonable level. Are you suggesting they are in such terrible jobs as waiters, where they have to put up with skimpy people, are there entirely by choice? Oh yea, I remember when I was a kid, I'd love to be a Burger King burger flipper... That is sarcasm, by the way.

To clarify once again, I honestly believe tipping should be for those who do any better than an average standard (whatever that is, I'm not sure how to explain; it's a personal thing). However, this is not the case in at least America, so tipping should be something done as charity. But I digress...

ozXHe7P.png

I wish waiters were paid a minimum wage and tipping was reserved for if they did an exceptional job, but with how low of wages they actually do have, you're an [wagon] if you don't tip them decently unless they did a really shitty job.

I wish waiters were paid a minimum wage and tipping was reserved for if they did an exceptional job, but with how low of wages they have, you're an [wagon] if you don't tip them unless they did a really shitty job.

But by saying that, you concede that if they are paid a decent minimum wage, and don't go beyond what's already expected of them as part of their job description, I shouldn't feel under any obligation to tip them, yes?

I wish waiters were paid a minimum wage and tipping was reserved for if they did an exceptional job, but with how low of wages they have, you're an [wagon] if you don't tip them unless they did a really shitty job.

But by saying that, you concede that if they are paid a decent minimum wage, and don't go beyond what's already expected of them as part of their job description, I shouldn't feel under any obligation to tip them, yes?

Yes.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Yeah, I don't think you shouldn't feel obligated to tip a waiter that's paid a livable wage, only if you really want to. Or heck, make it so they can't even accept tips. As long as they're paid a wage that's guaranteed to be decent.

I tip for adequate and above service and only hold my tip when service is just terrible.

@Veiva: People at fast food restaurants are paid minimum wage.

Yes, I shouldn't have used that example. I was just trying to convey that people take jobs such as waiters, or even "better" jobs like Burger King employees, out of necessity, not want.

ozXHe7P.png

Then in that case, if the real issue is that they're not being paid enough, let's talk about basic employment rights for part-time workers. We, the customer, shouldn't be doing through the kindness of our own heart what their employer should be doing through fear of the law.

@Veiva, I was replying to riku in the comment about living in an emancipated society, not you.