Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

The items aren't the issue, it's the xp.

For now. The door has been opened and there's no going back. It won't be long before players are able to buy weapons/armor with boosted stats.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this solve something?

Wherever you see a player that has bought spins in person, highscores, forums, ingame, etc... They are "tagged"... Wether they have a blue face, an icon over their head or near their name, you name it...

That way; you can see that some of thier achievements, aren't exactly legit...

then no one would buy them, and jagex gets no money. Which is the same reason why they won't reduce xp rates.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Wherever you see a player that has bought spins in person, highscores, forums, ingame, etc... They are "tagged"... Wether they have a blue face, an icon over their head or near their name, you name it...

Nice privacy.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Nice privacy.

No worse than showing "Member Since 20##"

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Tagging players won't work well, because it doesn't show how many spins the person bought. Also, no one who is buying hundreds/thousands of spins cares one bit about the items. They are doing it for the stupidly common xp lamps. 20$ buys you 200-300k in the skill of your choice, and you can use them all in like 15-20 minutes if that. Turns into 700-800k/hr xp in *any* skill for 60$+

That's just dumb.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Old, but still relevant:

runescape.jpg

CEO Mark Gerhard warns developers of the perils in blindly switching to the increasingly popular funding model.

Jagex Game Studios, UK developer of browser MMOG Runescape, has cautioned developers against blindly joining the current rush to the free-to-play model.

In recent months, a number of existing and upcoming online games have adopted the free-to-play model, which relies on a small percentage of paying players to effectively subsidise a game's wider userbase by buying virtual items through microtransactions. On average, just three per cent of players do so, but in an interview, Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard tells us that three per cent can spend vast amounts.

"[some players] can spend thousands of pounds a month on content - they just have to consume, they have to be number one," he tells us. "But at the same time it's a very small percentage. This is single-digit at best, and that's even fractional.

"Then you've got people who'll almost violently never pay: 'I'm going to stick it to the man'. But you need them to balance the game, to get it to critical mass, for virality."

While the free-to-play model has proven lucrative in many cases, Gerhard says that developers who think that all they need do is hitch themselves to the bandwagon and sit back and watch their margins skyrocket could be in for a shock.

"It's less about what's the right model, less about how to take money from a customer's wallet, and more about what kind of gameplay you have that's conducive to that type of monetisation mechanism," he says. "I think a lot of people say: 'All the successful games are doing this now, so you must, too'.

"We've looked at that and said it's the substitute of thinking. If you copy it wrong you might be copying the things that work, but you're probably also copying the things that don't."

Gerhard's comments go some way to explaining why traditional publishers experimenting with free-to-play for the first time are reluctant to go all-in, clearly wary of alienating their existing userbases. Blizzard has made World Of Warcraft free-to-play, but only up to level 20 and with several restrictions on game features; when Valve introduced microtransactions to the now-free-to-play Team Fortress 2, the only virtual items for sale were cosmetic, or "vanity" items.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Well he probably still thinks that....

I'm sure most of the Jagex employees don't like what this game is becoming either. But they don't run the show, investors who don't give a damn do. And to be honest with you, Jagex employees value their salary over their morals, much like you would. Would you give up a decent job/career if a game you worked for added a business model that you didn't agree with, but still didn't break the game? Nah

I'm sure most of the Jagex employees don't like what this game is becoming either. But they don't run the show, investors who don't give a damn do. And to be honest with you, Jagex employees value their salary over their morals, much like you would. Would you give up a decent job/career if a game you worked for added a business model that you didn't agree with, but still didn't break the game? Nah

Didn't a lot of Jagex employers leave after the investor deal? A lot of the community JMods seem to have been missing from the forums lately, like Hobhein and other popular mods. :/ Maybe they had the guts to defend their moral and leave with dignity.

Didn't a lot of Jagex employers leave after the investor deal? A lot of the community JMods seem to have been missing from the forums lately, like Hobhein and other popular mods. :/ Maybe they had the guts to defend their moral and leave with dignity.

A lot of community mods left because their hours were changed to be more compatible with their American users. Or at least, that's what they said in the Q&A.

Actually, I was speaking to a friend who knows a Jmod in person who has loose lips about some of the inner happenings of the company (nothing important to be told), but yeah after a tiny bit of prying, I was informed that a handful of Jmods have indeed left recently. Not that I think that was sensitive information or anything. Their reasons for leaving were not divulged to neither my friend nor myself, but it could be either because of those hour changes mentioned, or that could just be a cover up for some leaving over the SoF / other bits.

I don't know, I just wouldn't personally give up a decent paying job because the game I work on lets you buy Exp now. Doesn't seem like it would be a financially sound choice.

Mod Hobhein has gone so has Mod French and Mod Jon H. All community guys, they said that it was because of the hours change but who knows what the real reason is...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

LOL! people stil playing Runescape?

-> Tera Online

/CYA =)

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

-> Tera Online

Weeaboo WoW, just what the doctor ordered!

sanasiggy.png

Capes: Dungeoneering, Dungeoneering (t), Defence (t), Attack (t),

Constitution (t), Quest, Soulwars (both), Fire, Tokhaar Kal

Massive thanks to [)en[)en for my signature picture.

-> Tera Online

Nothing like WoW or any mainstream MMO out there, it's the new generation of MMO.

Nice that you've done your homework before saying stuff =)

'

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

I was quoting someone, not that it matters.

Take your "new generation" to Off Topic, if anywhere. Hopefully a mod can flush out this digression.

sanasiggy.png

Capes: Dungeoneering, Dungeoneering (t), Defence (t), Attack (t),

Constitution (t), Quest, Soulwars (both), Fire, Tokhaar Kal

Massive thanks to [)en[)en for my signature picture.

-> Tera Online

Nothing like WoW or any mainstream MMO out there, it's the new generation of MMO.

Nice that you've done your homework before saying stuff =)

'

The only thing new about Tera is its combat (which isn't used to its potential due to slow-motion mobs that my 98 granny with cataracts could dodge). Everything else is cookie cutter go to Y and kill X rats MMO material.

crossed_body.png

And now its time to get back to RuneScape. If you guys want to discuss Tera Online more, you can take it here.

Also, the changed hours would make sense. It would also explain why all the night shift people (unless seven left, but I think she's still around too) are still there. They already have terrible hours.

They got changed so that more mods would be online during peak hours, that way they would appear to have more of an impact on the audience. (Instead of only being on during BST day time) But plenty of the community mods didn't like that change in hours.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Not sure if anyone saw this on Twitter... Was only made aware of this recently:

https://twitter.com/...939622562856961

Gee, had I known this, I would have not used any of the spins I've gotten for free thus far.

Edit: For those who can't see it for some reason:

21j0z1w.png

Edited by ForsakenMage