Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

I would like to refer to the court case held in Holland which was judged by Supreme Court saying that stealing in Runescape is indeed a crime:

http://www.techspot.com/news/47285-dutch-supreme-court-stealing-runescape-gear-is-a-crime.html

Also illegal or not, there is a market mechanic that trades real life money for runescape items (gold buying). This makes Runescape items very very tangible.

Does Holland have an anti-gambling law written similarly to the UK's?

If someone can post/translate it if it exists that would be great

I put that here

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

40 pages till this got Godwin-ed, not bad :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Hah Godwin's law

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

I wonder if that 16K thread with negative comments about SoF would have been deleted if it contained 16K positive comments.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Now bow down and get 'milked' for more cash by dem godlike hypocritz.

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

I wonder if that 16K thread with negative comments about SoF would have been deleted if it contained 16K positive comments.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Now bow down and get 'milked' for more cash by dem godlike hypocritz.

It's common practice for update threads to get unstickied when the next update arrives, the only exception I know are seasonal event as those usually remain stickied until the event is over.

You can blame Jagex for a lot of things, but that's not really one of them.

Has anyone read this article? Where Will Insight Venture Partners Take Runescape? http://wizzley.com/horing-jagex/

I can't take an article seriously that has a page of ads in the middle of the article.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Has anyone read this article? Where Will Insight Venture Partners Take Runescape? http://wizzley.com/horing-jagex/

I can't take an article seriously that has a page of ads in the middle of the article.

It's worth the read.

It's noteworthy that Mr. Horing personally called to apologize to Trevorghost for the way he was received. Apparently the company had been receiving death threats and were on edge when he showed up. However, this only goes to clear the air, not fix problems. The article also does a bit more digging than the recent Times article does in terms of figuring out who or what IVP is, and what they're capable of.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Next people will be comparing spin-buyers to nazis, and we all know where that goes.

Buying spins will only cause jagex to add more transactions to the game that will be destructive to the game. There is also that slippery slope Jagex can easily go down. Do you really want a runescape where it is perfectly okay to buy a 99 and full torva?

Buying spins literally supports the destruction of runescape.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

That's not a very accurate comparison and I wouldn't call it fair to judge someone as a bad person for buying spins.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

Next people will be comparing spin-buyers to nazis, and we all know where that goes.

Buying spins will only cause jagex to add more transactions to the game that will be destructive to the game. There is also that slippery slope Jagex can easily go down. Do you really want a runescape where it is perfectly okay to buy a 99 and full torva?

This is getting more and more ridiculous, you know that right.

I'm not going to defend the introduction of microtransactions into this game, but even if you compare it to MT games like Maplestory, you can't "buy a 99" and the best armor in the game with Nx cash.

hzvjpwS.gif

I might be totally wrong with this assumption, but it seems like the people who buy spins are largely the same as the people who felt the need to get ahead by botting.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If person A want's xx RC for any reason, and can get that faster by paying for it, don't hate them for doing it. I find it hilarious that some people will kiss Jagex's feet when it comes to their efforts to stop botting, however blame the individuals who choose to use one of Jagex's services.

PS: If I need to spend 700 hours runecrafting, or I can pay $100 (which I earn in 3 hours), I must be an idiot to spend "good money" (as opposed to wasting good time...)...

w4M8t.png

If person A want's xx RC for any reason, and can get that faster by paying for it, don't hate them for doing it. I find it hilarious that some people will kiss Jagex's feet when it comes to their efforts to stop botting, however blame the individuals who choose to use one of Jagex's services.

PS: If I need to spend 700 hours runecrafting, or I can pay $100 (which I earn in 3 hours), I must be an idiot to spend "good money" (as opposed to wasting good time...)...

Except that the general average is around ~250k xp for $20, so 99 in any skill would cost over a thousand dollars.

td2sig.jpg

Microtransactions do not necessarily mean the destruction of RuneScape.

Anyway, buying spins, although something I personally consider to be a most unwise (or just plain stupid) way of spending money, doesn't make the buyer a bad person. To each their own, and if people want to be wasting their money on spins it is their right to do so without others having to pass judgement on them for it.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Except that the general average is around ~250k xp for $20, so 99 in any skill would cost over a thousand dollars.

Yes, but level 73 is at 1m xp, which unlocks most quest content (most)...If you are going for "99" in a skill, then it's pretty dumb to pay for it, as 1. It's expensive and 2. It kind of removes the point of getting 99. However, if I need a quest requirement, and I hate that skill, I can suffer through leveling it (which is miserable), or I can pay for it, which is likely a better value for my time.

The argument that paying for something removes the level playing field is bs, because the playing field is already not level. RS isn't dictated by skill, it's dictated by time spent on it. If someone has less time to spend on it because of other priorities, they should be able to pay for the content. I think it's a smart business model on Jagex's part. How does saturating the amount of high levels ruin the game? More people will have access to more game content, but Jagex will have more money to afford more servers. If they don't respond appropriately to the influx of higher levels, than that is their problem.

And to those who say it belittles their achievement, grow up, it's a video game. You want to be acknowledged for an achievement, go out and do something productive for society.

w4M8t.png

So considering the fact that minimum wage (at least here) is over $10 / hour, and RC for instance is around 60k exp an hour, for the amount of hours training yourself, you could have been working instead for double the money it costs for that exp. Is it still stupid to spend 20 bucks, AND earn an additional 20 bucks in the same time it would have taken to get that exp legit, but with no money gained whatsoever?

Don't get me wrong, I HATE this update, drove me to pretty much quit altogether, but you really can't blame people for doing it, especially when it's a HELL of alot more time efficient to do this as well.

This is also coming from someone who has maxed an account 100% legit, and almost maxed a 2nd 100% legit.