Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

Well, but you have to admit that we've seen some pretty drastic changes from the moment investors took over, that leaves only two reasonable options that I can see:

1)The investors have taken over and DO run the company

2)Jagex is, for whatever reason(Maybe because all their other games have failed, they've blown millions into stellardawn and runescape can't be running forever), desperate and the investors are merely a side effect of that.

Not sure which option I find more likely...or more comforting for that matter....

I doubt #1. Especially because the investors don't even live in the UK (IIRC they're from New York?). If you're running the company you really at least have to be in the same country :/ I imagine it would be difficult to run it from overseas. And I don't think Jagex has taken on investors because they're desperate. I think it's because they do want to grow and it's rare that companies can grow immensely without investments. Jagex knows that RuneScape can't be their only game forever. Games rarely last as long as RuneScape has already. If Jagex wants to continue to exist after RuneScape they need another product. In order to expand into another product, they do need investments. They need to be able to hire new staff and dedicate those new employees and resources to other games, while continuing to be able to fully support RuneScape.

So I wouldn't call Jagex desperate because they turned to investors. They turned to investors because they are looking to grow and expand as a company, which is perfectly understandable. If they stick to only RuneScape forever, they're basically a company with an expiration date. Maybe not a specific one, but it's unlikely that RuneScape will exist forever (or at least be profitable forever).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is desperate for turning to investors. In the end Jagex is a company, just like every other gaming company; and a company's goal is to make money. They're doing just that.

The developers/decision makers have decided to attempt RWT through selling spins to see the reaction. If they feel overall it creates a positive reaction they *will* continue. Previously their belief was that Jagex selling stuff would result in more customer hate than benefit. I think they saw the popularity of games like League of Legends as proof that the microtransaction system works.

I'm hoping our outrage is enough for them to undo it.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Go away for a week, Jagex breaks the game and mostly whatever reputation they had left. You just can't rely on them anymore, policy changes unpredictably and fundamentally, making the game very different (also worse imo, but that's another matter) in a heartbeat.

Apparently legal concerns, gameplay reasons and many past promises can't make Jagex reliable and reasonable towards their players.

[hide]

cancel.png

[/hide]

Note it doesn't have 'disagree with recent game update' as an option.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Nobody is desperate for turning to investors. In the end Jagex is a company, just like every other gaming company; and a company's goal is to make money. They're doing just that.

The problem I have with the whole "Jagex is a company, and companies try to make money, so if it makes them money what they do is justified" argument is that it assumes a "company" is just a lifeless, soulless, goal-driven entity.

I'm not going to argue that all companies aren't, but I adamantly disagree that all companies are.

The problem I have with the whole "Jagex is a company, and companies try to make money, so if it makes them money what they do is justified" argument is that it assumes a "company" is just a lifeless, soulless, goal-driven entity.

I'm not going to argue that all companies aren't, but I adamantly disagree that all companies are.

I'm not going to argue that all companies are that way either, but you can't deny that in the end that's what Jagex is. Especially now that the game is on a decline.

I'm not going to argue that all companies are that way either, but you can't deny that in the end that's what Jagex is. Especially now that the game is on a decline.

Oh sure. Certainly that's how Jagex is nowadays. I agree 100%.

The point I was trying to make is that accepting Jagex's change of heart is unacceptable. As not only customers, but as members of a community fathered by Jagex and ourselves as well, we should not be so willing to justify Jagex's actions just because they are a company. If Jagex is our ruler, we have a right to demand he not be Machiavelli.

The point I was trying to make is that accepting Jagex's change of heart is unacceptable. As not only customers, but as members of a community fathered by Jagex and ourselves as well, we should not be so willing to justify Jagex's actions just because they are a company. If Jagex is our ruler, we have a right to demand he not be Machiavelli.

And as our 'ruler' Jagex has the right to completely ignore us. Which... Is likely will happen.

Well, but you have to admit that we've seen some pretty drastic changes from the moment investors took over, that leaves only two reasonable options that I can see:

1)The investors have taken over and DO run the company

2)Jagex is, for whatever reason(Maybe because all their other games have failed, they've blown millions into stellardawn and runescape can't be running forever), desperate and the investors are merely a side effect of that.

Not sure which option I find more likely...or more comforting for that matter....

I doubt #1. Especially because the investors don't even live in the UK (IIRC they're from New York?). If you're running the company you really at least have to be in the same country :/ I imagine it would be difficult to run it from overseas. And I don't think Jagex has taken on investors because they're desperate. I think it's because they do want to grow and it's rare that companies can grow immensely without investments. Jagex knows that RuneScape can't be their only game forever. Games rarely last as long as RuneScape has already. If Jagex wants to continue to exist after RuneScape they need another product. In order to expand into another product, they do need investments. They need to be able to hire new staff and dedicate those new employees and resources to other games, while continuing to be able to fully support RuneScape.

So I wouldn't call Jagex desperate because they turned to investors. They turned to investors because they are looking to grow and expand as a company, which is perfectly understandable. If they stick to only RuneScape forever, they're basically a company with an expiration date. Maybe not a specific one, but it's unlikely that RuneScape will exist forever (or at least be profitable forever).

I did not call them desperate because they have turned to investors. I've said that them truning to investors may be a side effect of that. And seeing how within a single year, Jagex went 180° on many things, be it F2P advertising or microtransactions, does mean there has to be some reason for that. Maybe "desperate" is too strong a word for it, but there is something there.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. For a long time, Jagex wouldn't do certain things because they thought it would be detrimental to the game and its players, even if it brought them more money. That has changed from 2011 on. Doesn't mean that everything they're doing is suddenly bad now...but some things are.

And as our 'ruler' Jagex has the right to completely ignore us. Which... Is likely will happen.

Technically speaking, they have the right, yes.

But then again, they don't have the right to do this.

I still fail to see how this is in the spirit of the game but effigies aren't.

My bet is that Jagex underestimated the amount of xp players could gain through this.

This is believable, cuz Jagex is kinda like, really, really, dumb.

My bet is that Jagex underestimated the amount of xp players could gain through this.

How about: Both are too much xp but one gets Jagex money and the other not?

How about: Both are too much xp but one gets Jagex money and the other not?

That's viable as well.

I fail to see how they don't have the right.

It is possible it could be considered gambling, and therefor illegal without a license. Probably not though.

The way I see it is Jagex are only saying that they are selling spins.. and if you pay they deliver those spins. It's just a microtransaction, and also the 'you always win' thing just makes it a massive loophole

Muckytears.png

It is possible it could be considered gambling, and therefor illegal without a license. Probably not though.

The way I see it is Jagex are only saying that they are selling spins.. and if you pay they deliver those spins. It's just a microtransaction, and also the 'you always win' thing just makes it a massive loophole

They can "say" what they want. A lottery doesn't suddenly stop being a lottery if they tell you they're just delivering the lots. And this could indeed be considered a form of gambling....thing is, it's a grey area so likely the party with better lawyers is going to win (aka Jagex) and besides that...no one is going to sue them for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_d_vMKswE

First the removal of f2p hiscores, then the effigy nerf, the release of Early Bird specials as added insult ('add something positive'), then the release of SoF, then buyable spins.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I fail to see how they don't have the right.

What I mean to say is that technically speaking, sure they can. But from our standpoint they should not be allowed to do so without resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_d_vMKswE

First the removal of f2p hiscores, then the effigy nerf, the release of Early Bird specials as added insult ('add something positive'), then the release of SoF, then buyable spins.

Pointless way to make your players hate you.

Much needed nerf, but left far too late.

Yay!

This does not bode well.

...God damn it why did i have to be right.

inb4 elite loyalty lucky $79.99 rapier of derp, 300 strength bonus, obtainable only though irl $ or irl time limited luck (IE, spins.)

CNqWHdA.jpg

On a semi related note I just wanted to express how disappointed I am that they wasted the empty tab on the SoF shit. I had high hopes that the tab was going to be something a bit more worthwhile.

I think it's quite insulting to add a tiny feature of the game alongside stuff like Quests, Skills, Tasks etc, but that's just a personal view.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

On a semi related note I just wanted to express how disappointed I am that they wasted the empty tab on the SoF shit. I had high hopes that the tab was going to be something a bit more worthwhile.

I think it's quite insulting to add a tiny feature of the game alongside stuff like Quests, Skills, Tasks etc, but that's just a personal view.

I miss the summoning tab...

CNqWHdA.jpg

Apparently the credit card issue was fixed.

Referring to this thread: [qfc]15-16-671-63674649[/qfc]

quote of the important part

"There are security measures in place to ensure that nobody but you can use your details, and even if youve chosen to store your information on the account for quick access to these when making a new purchase youll still need to enter the cards CVV code when doing so. Even if someone gained access to your account (which is really unlikely for players following our security info!) they still can** use your card to make payments without having your CVV, which would mean actually having your card to hand. "

Of course they act as if it has been like that all along and as if players didn't need to point out, and they don't mention that they told us we were secure from credit card fraud before this change....but I guess it's something. Is there someone who can try to confirm this btw? I see no reason why the OP of the thread would make this up, but you never know...