Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

I really want to know how the hell you're supposed to get 60k/h at RC, I struggle to get 25k/h at ZMI. I'm not demanding a detailed guide, but could you guys enlighten me a bit? :P First time I heard about 60k/h was ZMI at 99, now I hear claiming everyone can get 60k/h. :s

Also, I find it so dissapointing that after the two first days of mod posts saying "we'll pass it on and give you answers later on" we haven't got a single Jmod post about this update... Smells a bit like the MapleStory debacle...

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to know how the hell you're supposed to get 60k/h at RC, I struggle to get 25k/h at ZMI. I'm not demanding a detailed guide, but could you guys enlighten me a bit? :P First time I heard about 60k/h was ZMI at 99, now I hear claiming everyone can get 60k/h. :s

Also, I find it so dissapointing that after the two first days of mod posts saying "we'll pass it on and give you answers later on" we haven't got a single Jmod post about this update... Smells a bit like the MapleStory debacle...

Considering Insight was and is the driving force behind both, are you really surprised?

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

Everyone here except very few hates sof. But some of you seem hesitant to point the fingers at the spin buyers.

Imo they are definitely part of the problem. Spin buyers are not that different from bot,gold, and xp farming buyers at all, except one has somehow been sanctioned by Jagex. They are part of the problem by creating this demand for conversion of real money to in game items/xp. Honestly, it would Not surprise me at all that the biggest spin buyers are also the biggest gold buyers.

It is this demand that shatters the spirit of rs, one put so succintly by the rule that has so recently been changed. It is that rule that made me respect and play this game for so long. You have all figured out by now that I'm a staunch egalitarianism believer irl too (go buffett rule and occupy movement). You can't expect me to just sit here and accept these spins buyers as just another player...they are sanctioned cheaters, and their dollars support (via many channels but finally to the evil investment bankers of wall street...as pointed out by ts stormage) just more greed, unfairness, poverty, and sadness in our world.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

However, if I need a quest requirement, and I hate that skill, I can suffer through leveling it (which is miserable),

???!!!!

If playing the game is such a torturous experience, why bother? Go out and do something useful (and more rewarding!) for society!

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Hopefully he means that the quest itself (or showing off with that Quest Cape) is more enjoyable than grinding that skill.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

No. You.

Wait.

Did you really.

And they call me a troll.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

it would Not surprise me at all that the biggest spin buyers are also the biggest gold buyers.

Got that backwards sorta, IMO biggest Spin buyers are the biggest gold sellers.

Like has been shown the people who have already spent $2,000+ in spins all are stakers

Good fight, dislike but good job from a investment perspective.

Look forward everyone, that is to buying gp ect in the future in my opinion.

Lots of other games offer it, jagex is just shifting with the times.

My optimistic nature wants to tell me that Jagex understands that legitimizing buying GP would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Also a few people mentioned that it would place a value on GP and label RuneScape as gambling and subject to appropriate laws in appropriate countries.

I think if Jagex does expand the cash shop (and RuneScape does have a cash shop now, that only sells spins), it will follow the logic of Squeal of Fortune: Untradeable, unalchable, special versions. Like you'll be able to buy a "Requisitioned [item]" (requisitioned is just the title I gave to it).

Yeah, but Full Torva is still Full Torva. Or w/e you get. Point is, the primary function will still be the same.

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Siggied.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

However, if I need a quest requirement, and I hate that skill, I can suffer through leveling it (which is miserable),

???!!!!

If playing the game is such a torturous experience, why bother? Go out and do something useful (and more rewarding!) for society!

this comment bothered me so i'm going reply to it. i don't think it was a nice thing to say. you lashed out at that person simply because they shared a view which threatened your view of rs. i think the only reason why you would feel so affronted by a comment such as the one N64 made is if you are very sensitive to the idea of someone suffering through something which you enjoy, if avoiding that reality about rs is important to your own enjoyment of it.

of course there is no reason why someone who identifies as suffering through aspects of rs should stop playing and do something more useful with their time any more than someone who enjoys those same aspects should.

it would Not surprise me at all that the biggest spin buyers are also the biggest gold buyers.

Like has been shown the people who have already spent $2,000+ in spins all are stakers

Exactly--

Pro's guide to maxing an account:

Step 1: Win billions staking

Step2: Sell billions on ebay, make bank IRL

Step 3: Use the money you made selling GP to pay for spins

Step 4: Repeat and profit!

td2sig.jpg

???!!!!

this comment bothered me so i'm going reply to it. i don't think it was a nice thing to say. you lashed out at that person simply because they shared a view which threatened your view of rs. i think the only reason why you would feel so affronted by a comment such as the one N64 made is if you are very sensitive to the idea of someone suffering through something which you enjoy, if avoiding that reality about rs is important to your own enjoyment of it.

of course there is no reason why someone who identifies as suffering through aspects of rs should stop playing and do something more useful with their time any more than someone who enjoys those same aspects should.

The point I'm making was basically covered by your second point. If people who play this game feel like they are suffering through it, or it's a chore, or it's the bane of their existence, then the question is why they'd want to play this game at all.

What others think of this game doesn't affect me - if I cared at all, I would have quit over a decade ago.

And lastly, N64 has always been the one to talk about improving society and all that stuff if you've read his previous posts on this thread. I'm cool with that - you have your own ways to spend your time, and I have mine.

you lashed out at that person simply because they shared a view which threatened your view of rs.

Welcome to Tip.it Forum

:rolleyes:

6Ij0n.jpg

N64 has always been the one to talk about improving society and all that stuff if you've read his previous posts on this thread

aw i didn't. i should have before jumping in and replying to your comment. that's interesting information.

If people who play this game feel like they are suffering through it, or it's a chore, or it's the bane of their existence, then the question is why they'd want to play this game at all.

well i don't really think he was implying it was major suffering or anything like that - seemed to be expressing the typical aversion to grinding that many people have. the reason why rs players who don't like the grinding put up with it is, i think, for the rewards one gets from doing it, or perceived rewards. plenty of people work jobs they don't like in order to do the things that having more money allows them to do.

Wow, do you have any proof of someone who had spent over 2000 dollars in just spins?

Hey all!

As most of you know, Jagex has introduced the Squeal of Fortune wheel and as of April 2nd they added the option to buy spins for real money. Many players are disgusted with this update because it promotes RWT(Real World Trading), a gambling style theme for under age players, and an unfair advantage to players who are financially better off then others.

The biggest uproar is that this update goes against the idealism and rules of the game since its inception. Jagex has now reworded the rules including the terms and conditions of payments to support the changes. :(

We currently have a petition located on the RS forums to remove the buyable spins and I wanted to make everyone aware of its existance.

The Current Status of the thread is as follows:

Total supporters of the

~Petition to remove SoF V5.. thread

Qfc: 15-16-650-63682672

Names: 4,721

Support from clans 5,084 +/-

Total support for the

~Petition to remove SoF V5 .. thread so far is 9,805 +/-

If you agree with this cause please make sure to log onto the RS official forums linked of the RuneScape website to show your support by spreading the message in-game and adding your name to the list!

Thanks,

Gabbi :smile:

PS: This is my first post so I hope I did it right

???!!!!

The point I'm making was basically covered by your second point. If people who play this game feel like they are suffering through it, or it's a chore, or it's the bane of their existence, then the question is why they'd want to play this game at all.

What others think of this game doesn't affect me - if I cared at all, I would have quit over a decade ago.

And lastly, N64 has always been the one to talk about improving society and all that stuff if you've read his previous posts on this thread. I'm cool with that - you have your own ways to spend your time, and I have mine.

you lashed out at that person simply because they shared a view which threatened your view of rs.

Welcome to Tip.it Forum

:rolleyes:

My point is the fact that everyone gets all butt hurt saying any new aspects to the game which make the game easier belittle their achievements. Nevermind the fact that Jagex is a business with employees who are feeding their families, if they create game content that attracts new players, yet belittles my achievements, SHAME ON THEM! Maybe a deeper, darker reality is the fact that runescape is a game, and you should be enjoying your time playing it. This doesn't mean you need to enjoy all aspects of the game (I have rarely played a game where I enjoyed every piece of content).

SoF really doesn't affect anyone but those who pay for it. I don't understand why you would care if their is a million other characters who are equal or higher level then you. The updates will create a demand for higher level content, and like I said, Jagex needs to respond to this in order to fulfill the needs of their business model, but if you are the type that thinks you are superior to someone because you are higher level (aka, spent more time on the game), and that the new update ruins this for you, then as I said, grow up...it's a game.

There is obviously money to be made on SoF. I feel Jagex would be idiots to not introduce content which profits them.

w4M8t.png

My point is the fact that everyone gets all butt hurt saying any new aspects to the game which make the game easier belittle their achievements. Nevermind the fact that Jagex is a business with employees who are feeding their families, if they create game content that attracts new players, yet belittles my achievements, SHAME ON THEM! Maybe a deeper, darker reality is the fact that runescape is a game, and you should be enjoying your time playing it. This doesn't mean you need to enjoy all aspects of the game (I have rarely played a game where I enjoyed every piece of content).

SoF really doesn't affect anyone but those who pay for it. I don't understand why you would care if their is a million other characters who are equal or higher level then you. The updates will create a demand for higher level content, and like I said, Jagex needs to respond to this in order to fulfill the needs of their business model, but if you are the type that thinks you are superior to someone because you are higher level (aka, spent more time on the game), and that the new update ruins this for you, then as I said, grow up...it's a game.

There is obviously money to be made on SoF. I feel Jagex would be idiots to not introduce content which profits them.

I don't care if Jagex introduces new methods of training that speed up and "devalue" achievements - more power to the players. What I - and various others - am mad about, is that this is a complete 180 turn from their initial stance on buying your way through a game.

"This is also the reason we don't sell RuneScape items for cash on our own website. Even though we could make extra money in this way. We don't think it's fair or even fun if players can just buy their way to the top!"

I don't care if people buy their way to the top, and I certainly don't get an air of superiority by having higher levels (I can personally say I have benefited MUCH from sped up training methods), but what I can't stand is that Jagex would just toss out one of their oldest rules just because.

Sure there's money to be made on the SoF. There's also money to be made by creating good and honest new content, as you said yourself, or non-interfering micro-transactions that are purely cosmetic.

6Ij0n.jpg

I don't care if Jagex introduces new methods of training that speed up and "devalue" achievements - more power to the players. What I - and various others - am mad about, is that this is a complete 180 turn from their initial stance on buying your way through a game.

"This is also the reason we don't sell RuneScape items for cash on our own website. Even though we could make extra money in this way. We don't think it's fair or even fun if players can just buy their way to the top!"

I don't care if people buy their way to the top, and I certainly don't get an air of superiority by having higher levels (I can personally say I have benefited MUCH from sped up training methods), but what I can't stand is that Jagex would just toss out one of their oldest rules just because.

Sure there's money to be made on the SoF. There's also money to be made by creating good and honest new content, as you said yourself, or non-interfering micro-transactions that are purely cosmetic.

Deny it if you like, you are bothered that people can buy their way to the top.

Jagex can introduce new game content, and allow for microtransactions. And the market for cosmetic item is pretty small.

Sure, Jagex sold out on their principles of old. But they are a business, and they are trying to stay afloat. I understand that, and I don't fault them for it.

w4M8t.png

The issue here, is that runescape is primarily a game of achievement rewards. Previously the achievments were all directly tied in with how much you play, or how good you are at the game. (Usually relating to the length of time you can continue doing activities in the game.) Buying XP means that the achievments no longer have meaning.

Before the squeel (buying spins), If someone had higher skills than me i knew it was because they were more dedicated, had played longer, or were more efficient in how they go about the game. (Assuming we can determine who broke rules via botting, buying gold etc). Now, if someone has a higher achievment it could simply be because the player bought a ton of XP via the squeel.

Now achievments aren't directly tied into gameplay. (Squeel is barely in game, can't even use any other interfaces while playing, and you earn about 4-5 times more xp/hr than most other methods. It is buying XP)

I agree Jagex won't remove it, but that doesn't mean that I think it is right.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Would this solve something?

Wherever you see a player that has bought spins in person, highscores, forums, ingame, etc... They are "tagged"... Wether they have a blue face, an icon over their head or near their name, you name it...

That way; you can see that some of thier achievements, aren't exactly legit...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I'm a longtime loyal member of runescape, been playing since 01, and have had multiple members accounts since 02. Honestly, this update doesn't bother me very much... It is irrational to me to be extremely upset about jagex changing their stance on "buying your way to the top", they are a company... if a company doesn't change as it grows and change with the climate of the industry, it falls behind or even becomes obsolete. Look at most of the mmorpg, and even online gaming industry as a whole. In most games there is some form of microtransactions, Jagex has even been conservative in introducing them into runescape how they did, in my opinion. It isn't even all that feasible for most people to use sof as an actual leveling method for more than a few 100k xp here or there, so really the xp incoming via sof isn't very much to huff and puff about. If someone wanted to, sure they could spend thousands of dollars and quickly become a maxed player... but i sincerely doubt that the number of people who are doing that or will do that in the future is very significant.

If you compare runescape classic to the runescape of today one of the very first things you would notice is the significant increase in experience rates and ease of training skills... I think a lot of todays runescape players in all honesty, couldn't have hacked it in classic. Now I wasn't anything special in runescape classic, but i did have a few 96+ skills, and was combat level 117... and I could care less that today someone can achieve something in a matter of weeks that in classic would have required far more clicks, and far more hours invested, it is the evolution of the game. If anything i'm extremely grateful for increased xp rates, not solely because of the levels i have gained because of it, but because of the overwhelming increase in higher combat and higher skilled players, it essentially made way for a burgeoning "middle class" if you will to make their way into higher level content, which in turn led to more higher leveled content for everyone.

The last comment I have is this. If you have just one player spending the $200 dollar a day limit on spins in just 10 days they have made jagex as much money as all of my memberships combined for the last 10 years that I have been a member of this game, if anything that should excite us as a playerbase.... look at what Jagex has done with the simple game known as runescape from 2001 to today based solely on membership fees, if they spend just a fraction of this extra income on development or content for runescape, it can make a difference. I've seen doomsayers come and quit, come and quit for over a decade... no jagex isn't perfect and never will be, but all in all I still love this game and continue to support its staff.

-panda p k

Its actually dumb, it is impossible to win. That isn't the only video of someone buying the max amount of spins and getting nothing. They are literally sitting there every time someone falls for the scam and laughing, I would be! $80 for no harm to the economy. Its not even like the rare items given away on there are tradeable! What harm will it do to give people just 1 of the rare prizes if they buy 80 spins.eusa_pray.gif Sorry for the rant! :P

Its actually dumb, it is impossible to win. That isn't the only video of someone buying the max amount of spins and getting nothing. They are literally sitting there every time someone falls for the scam and laughing, I would be! $80 for no harm to the economy. Its not even like the rare items given away on there are tradeable! What harm will it do to give people just 1 of the rare prizes if they buy 80 spins.eusa_pray.gif Sorry for the rant! :P

The items aren't the issue, it's the xp.