Jagex Games Studio is looking for: Head of RuneScape

Riptide Mage

Source:

More Info: http://hire.jobvite.com/Jobvite/Job.aspx?b=nQeHYiww&j=oMphWfw8

Jagex Ltd, the UKs most successful independent Online Games Studio, is looking for an exceptional Executive Producer to take a leading role in the management and continued development of RuneScape, the Worlds largest and most popular free-to-play MMORPG, reporting all progress and deliverables to the Executive Team.

As the leader of this studio sized department, you will deliver on the strategic vision of this iconic and immensely popular MMO, and be fully responsible for the overall direction of a large, multi-disciplined internal team. You will also be responsible for the overall quality, development and success of this globally recognised MMO product and act as a key figure in ensuring its continued commercial success.

KEY DUTIES INCLUDE

Creating and maintaining a product development strategy and project timeline, accurately forecasting cost, resources needed and reporting on project progress to key stakeholders

Ensuring the game development teams are working effectively towards business goals by providing them with operational support and inspirational leadership

Continual advancement of game development lifecycles, ensuring a cohesive approach is maintained for the overall development of the game

Ongoing appraisal of team managers and members individual performances, helping them to work towards their own continuous personal development and team objectives

Coordination with teams working in parallel with the Development, QA and Graphics teams (Translations, Tools, Marketing, PR and Audio)

Building and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders and external partners

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS

Strong leadership skills, with a true lead by example approach

Experience within an Executive Producer, Head of Studio, Development Director or similar position, with a solid understanding of game design and MMO games development

Strong commercial acumen with an advanced understanding of the online games industry

Ability to analyse, identify and anticipate trends in product and market performance and adjust development focus accordingly

Knowledge of player behaviours, motivations and profiles

Superb communication and presentation skills with a demonstrated ability to influence others

High level of self confidence and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management, peers and business partners

Deep understanding of game analytics and knowledge of how to use data as a decision making tool for game improvements and monetisation strategies

As best I know all former heads of RS have been long time employees of Jagex, allowing them to (presumably) understand and know the game. Who is this replacing, or is it attempting to bring a new team member in? With the departure of many community managers and other Runescape team members in the past month alone will this lead to even more instability? What could this possibly mean for the future of Runescape?

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering only one thing, what happened to the old head(Christoph Vietzke)?

His LinkedIn profile still says he's Head of RS. Perhaps he's moving on and just working his notice, or perhaps he's shortly going to be moving to another Jagex role like Head of Transformers... who knows at this stage.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Christoph Vietzke's profile shows he worked his way up through the ranks at Jagex:

Current
       Head of RuneScape at Jagex
Past
       RuneScape Content Team Leader at Jagex
       Translation and German Support Team Leader at Jagex 

Its rather disturbing they wouldn't be promoting someone and are instead taking completely outside applications.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Christoph Vietzke's profile shows he worked his way up through the ranks at Jagex:

Current
Past

Its rather disturbing they wouldn't be promoting someone and are instead taking completely outside applications.

Most jobs, when opened to public for applications, have already taken on applications internally. So whilst this is a free for all opportunity currently, you might find that someone within the RS mothership currently is employed. (Although, I'd be surprised, given the way we've been heading later :D )

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Current
Past

Most jobs, when opened to public for applications, have already taken on applications internally. So whilst this is a free for all opportunity currently, you might find that someone within the RS mothership currently is employed. (Although, I'd be surprised, given the way we've been heading later :D )

Or the investors want a fresh wind that blows money in their direction.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

They may just be getting outside applications to see what's available. Many companies, even if they fully intend to promote from within, do this. The Board of Directors often insists because it's good due diligence.

I'd normally jump to apply, but I dislike Jagex in general at the moment and have such little faith in them that I'm not even considering it.

Not like I'd get the job regardless, but I wouldn't want it with the way they're doing things these days.

His LinkedIn profile still says he's Head of RS. Perhaps he's moving on and just working his notice, or perhaps he's shortly going to be moving to another Jagex role like Head of Transformers... who knows at this stage.

Optimus Prime already has that position.

Stev should apply. Or grimy bunyip.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Tbf it doesn't say they are specifically getting a new head for Runescape. It says an Executive Producer who takes a leading role.

Reading the overall job description it sounds more like investors have made Jagex invent a new executive producer position whose primary role is reviewing everyone and making sure they work towards business goals.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Optimus Prime already has that position.

Sylpheed.png

I think it's a bit of a jump to read 'Executive Producer' and interpret 'Head of RuneScape'. And it must be remembered that there are dozens of others working on the game, many with greater direct input (though quite how Jagex titles them I don't know).

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I think it's a bit of a jump to read 'Executive Producer' and interpret 'Head of RuneScape'. And it must be remembered that there are dozens of others working on the game, many with greater direct input (though quite how Jagex titles them I don't know).

The title of the job posting itself, as made by Jagex is "Head of RuneScape"

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Bah. I wonder if this "job" has any decision making power. No doubt whoever is the superior of this position will force them to do more SoF style things or be fired. It seems like it would be a semi-powerless position to me. If it isn't, though, and someone who doesn't have an anti-community mindset (SoF) got it.. interesting ...

I think Vault is the guy you need.

Or Andrew, he could do it as well.

Probably one of the smartest things I've heard all day! I support this

Anyway, they could start off by looking for people who have actually played the game for the new position.

Just you wait, a free application submitted on your behalf will be on the SoF wheel. I can tell.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D