The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Neato compendium of all mod posts so far, but I guess it won't be much use after we actually get our hands on the Beta: http://theorange.me/ckb/

He missed a few lol

Still fairly good layout though, even if it's a little incomplete. Maybe you could help by sending him the missing posts?

Also, They are claiming that abilities are a huge portion of combat now, so overloads, prayer, summoning help but don't have as big an impact as before.

Did they claim they won't help as much or is that your conclusion? Summoning is pretty much confirmed, but the rest?

Some of the ultimates do damage based on your opponent's health (40% max health damage etc.) so turmoil won't help there damage-wise but ss should, in principle, and perhaps accuracy will still matter. I imagine few attacks will be 100% accurate, so turmoil and potions should help a ton there with the increased defence.

[qfc]296-297-805-63808234[/qfc]

That post actually says

"While Prayer does make a big difference to the outcome of a fight, [...] Prayer was dropped from the formula.

In regards to Summoning and Constitution, while again they do make a difference, in the new system they don't make enough of a difference to warrant a place in the new formula."

No reference to prayer actually being less useful, or changed at all really.

Edit: Sinkhan ninja edit :(.

The new og blog does however literally say it thought

"While Prayer and Summoning will still be important, their contribution to the overall potential of your character will be reduced."

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Also, They are claiming that abilities are a huge portion of combat now, so overloads, prayer, summoning help but don't have as big an impact as before.

Did they claim they won't help as much or is that your conclusion? Summoning is pretty much confirmed, but the rest?

Some of the ultimates do damage based on your opponent's health (40% max health damage etc.) so turmoil won't help there damage-wise but ss should, in principle, and perhaps accuracy will still matter. I imagine few attacks will be 100% accurate, so turmoil and potions should help a ton there with the increased defence.

The thought is that prayer will stay the same power, but that other stuff will increase. I expect prayer to be incredibly useful still. I think the developers don't necessarily understand the impact of prayer. While I do think it should have found a way into the system, I can understand why they removed it from the formula.

I assume that the bonuses given by turmoil are just as useful, but the difference is that the opponent without turmoil still has a lot of abliities at their disposal. It would give the advantage to the turmoil player but not as large an advantage as before.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I just assume prayers/potions/summons will only really impact on our auto-attacks, so they will still be important however most of our damage will be coming from basic, threshold and ultimate abilities which I'll take a guess and say they are not affected by those factors, putting more emphasis on our armours and weapon setups.

I just assume prayers/potions/summons will only really impact on our auto-attacks, so they will still be important however most of our damage will be coming from basic, threshold and ultimate abilities which I'll take a guess and say they are not affected by those factors, putting more emphasis on our armours and weapon setups.

I really hope that is the case. That Summoning and Prayer will still be as potent post-update as they are now if not using abilities but won't have an effect on abilities.

I really hope that is the case. That Summoning and Prayer will still be as potent post-update as they are now if not using abilities but won't have an effect on abilities.

For prayer at least, it might also have something to do with the fact that it's not going to be the sole source of buffs/debuffs anymore. So, if you don't have turmoil, there might be an ultimate ability that does something similar enough that you can get by without it, or some shield abilities could work as a substitute for protect/deflect prayers.

For prayer at least, it might also have something to do with the fact that it's not going to be the sole source of buffs/debuffs anymore. So, if you don't have turmoil, there might be an ultimate ability that does something similar enough that you can get by without it, or some shield abilities could work as a substitute for protect/deflect prayers.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. What about the people who have both Turmoil AND such an ultimate? Or the possibility of using both a Deflect and similar ability? A new equivalent being released doesn't really replace the old ones, so someone who doesn't have those things now would be at practically the same disadvantage should such things be released.

_______

Dual-wielding multiple combat types has somewhat eased my concern about hybriding. At least in minigames I'll be able to effectively use Magic and Melee at once, assuming they don't completely nerf the current hybrid armors.

2dgucz6.png

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. What about the people who have both Turmoil AND such an ultimate? Or the possibility of using both a Deflect and similar ability? A new equivalent being released doesn't really replace the old ones, so someone who doesn't have those things now would be at practically the same disadvantage should such things be released.

It's just an idea. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what they actually have planned.

I think the developers don't necessarily understand the impact of prayer.

The developers do have the advantage of knowing what their update is like, while the average player has no idea.

I don't get why players keep claiming that Jagex knows nothing, when it's quite obviously the opposite.

I think the developers don't necessarily understand the impact of prayer.

The developers do have the advantage of knowing what their update is like, while the average player has no idea.

I don't get why players keep claiming that Jagex knows nothing, when it's quite obviously the opposite.

Jagex has, in the past, proven they don't always understand their game. For example, when dungeoneering rings came out, players got mixed messages on how well they work.

However, I'd like to point out for those of you who think Jagex has underestimated how powerful prayer will be - this is the BETA. Assuming Jagex has made a mistake and underestimated the power of prayer (which I think is a distinct possibility), Jagex has a long time to give it before it comes live. The reason for the beta is to FIND problems and fix them.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Personally, one of the reasons I think the beta is such a good thing isn't just because it's a huge update that needs tons of testing, it's also because the player base can learn the system. They can figure out what items are good and bad, how exactly abilities work, what they want to get before the beta goes live, what new items to get once it's live and how to get them. Not to mention come up with new boss strategies, new slayer strategies, etc, etc.

Basically, by playing in the beta you can acclimatize yourself to the new system so you know what's what when the live update comes. Now that I think about it, I think a f2p beta might be a good idea when it's closer to coming out...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Technical writers in general are very difficult to come by. Most people capable of doing it well want to do more interesting/better paying things. Technical writers aren't payed well, and the assumption is that is is easy, when in fact it is very difficult to be precise and concise about something, especially when you are only paid to do the writing, and don't actually have a hand in the development.

Serena_Sedai.png

Technical writers in general are very difficult to come by. Most people capable of doing it well want to do more interesting/better paying things. Technical writers aren't payed well, and the assumption is that is is easy, when in fact it is very difficult to be precise and concise about something, especially when you are only paid to do the writing, and don't actually have a hand in the development.

Oh I absolutely agree. A lot of the people who would make good technical writers are in professions like engineering where there is no motivation to take a job in writing that is lower paying and probably less interesting.

I only complain because it's annoying to deal with sometimes, but I can see how it happens - especially when the people writing don't actually play the game, and therefore can't always understand how their words could be misinterpreted.

I wonder how rune becoming level 50 will affect f2p.

Will rune no longer be f2p and the old level 40 cap be placed on f2p, or will we get all armours up to level 50 including blue dragonhide, mystic and whatever else jagex might add. I really can't see f2p having different levels of 'high level' armour between the classes like they do now where mage only has level 20 stuff, while range and melee have armour that goes up to level 40, considering how important armour seems to be in the new style of combat. Then again, it is Jagex we're talking about, haha.

I guess we won't have to wait long to find out seeing as the beta goes live very soon.

resizeofuntitledff4.png

Free to Player fo' life!

99/99 skateboarding :p

why dont you use this awesome thing i like to call common sense. Its done wonders for me, ive never been hacked, scammed or anything like that.

Do we have an ETA for this? Wondering if I'll have time to go and pick up a few things (all nigher supplies) a bit later on.

I 'm sort of sad how RuneScape has completely changed recently though, armour, weapons, landscape and now this. :unsure: Though I guess I'm being nostalgic. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Do we have an ETA for this? Wondering if I'll have time to go and pick up a few things (all nigher supplies) a bit later on.

I 'm sort of sad how RuneScape has completely changed recently though, armour, weapons, landscape and now this. :unsure: Though I guess I'm being nostalgic. :lol:

Apparently 9 am bst at the earliest. Go take a nap.

I wouldn't be too surprised surprised at all if there are problems getting the servers online. I'm not expecting them to be playable until a few hours after the initial release.

70b0c3fc9b.png

I expect around noon bst is the earliest you will be able to get on.

The problem with technical writers, is that engineers who make a product are actually usually very poor technical writers. (And worse customer documentation writers) because they understand it from the development perspective. It is difficult to switch perspectives.

I think that Jagex knows more about this update than we do, but we as players will be faster at finding the loopholes, as there are far far more of us than them, and we collaborate on the internet, with many bright minds working together. It is difficult for a company to outpace that without a lot of effort/work/very smart developers. I don't doubt they know a lot about the game, but many developers tend to know very little about the top end of the game. I am sure they have developers specifically targeted at that knowledge, but a vast majority of the developers have no idea. And the issue is that they can't have all content developed by a single person. Nor can they have all content appeal to a single style of player.

Understanding the full impact of an update is very difficult for a development team to do.

Serena_Sedai.png

I thought there is a quote on the forums saying something along the lines of them prepping the update in the morning but it wouldn't actually be ready until the afternoon as long as everything goes steady?

I think it'll come out around 2pm, just to mock me since that's when I gotta go for work <_<

Checks time. Weeee, 1023 CET. Checks phone for email notifications. WEEEEE, I have an email. Opens mail. SOD IT KLM and your annoying iFly magazine :evil: :lol:

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

Ty Jeppoz for making it. Thx to the Pup for finding it after it got lost :D And thx to Kill_Life and Turtle for the ava.

Stoltenberg, 22/7-11: "We will retaliate with more democracy" In remembrance of Oslo/Utøya. May we never forget, nor be pulled down to the level of the beast

Speaking of prayer nerf, I am really interested on seeing how the new Jad will work.

Wearing appropriate armour can contribute as much as 90% of your total life points...... The lower the level of the armour' date=' the fewer points it can give you. [/quote']

Hmm...

Sell: Virtus -> Get: Geno

Armadyl looks pretty attractive to buy as well, high defence req and crashed recently.

betainf.png

Also some other stuff:

Dragon 2h crossbow being added.

The maximum hit they managed was over 10,000, but it was in a very select scenario (non-pvp).

"You don't want to know Nex's new lifepoints."

Food, runes, ammo free from beta shops.

Spears should continue to be the best weapon for Corp.

Some other stuff I forgot to screenie.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Needs more info. :( C2hxb pls

Oh dear. New abbreviation learning/making time.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Timewise it'll be noon-2pm bst probably like every other game update.

The 'not before 9am bst' quote was a jmod stating the obvious as in they don't start work until 9am.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue