The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Any idea if this will be F2P

Lmao who we kidding.

Jmods confirmed offhand weapons will be p2p only.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Lmao who we kidding.

No surprises there then..always something to lure ftp'ers into buying membership

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

two handed weapons are going to need buffing up alot to be able to compete with say a rapier and CLS combo, or a polypore + SOA, Oh lawd, Imagine polypore and SOA or two SOA...

I don't think you can dual cast.

If by dual casting, you mean using two implements, yes you can with orbs and wands. In he video the mods mentioned that you would halve the casting time of spells that way or something along the lines of that.

Dusk%20Soul.png

two handed weapons are going to need buffing up alot to be able to compete with say a rapier and CLS combo, or a polypore + SOA, Oh lawd, Imagine polypore and SOA or two SOA...

I don't think you can dual cast.

If by dual casting, you mean using two implements, yes you can with orbs and wands. In he video the mods mentioned that you would halve the casting time of spells that way or something along the lines of that.

No, I mean casting 2xSOA.

crossed_body.png

As long as they change the animation ( might cause too much lag possibly?) I don't see why not seeing as SOA is just a spell on the normal book..unless the orbs can only hold certain spells? or be charged with certain runes..all speculation til beta launches

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Lmao who we kidding.

No surprises there then..always something to lure ftp'ers into buying membership

Wouldn't be surprising if everything outside of an ultimate and a filler in every skill being members only, either.

22031_s.gif

They mentioned that some but not all of the abilities would be f2p. I expect that ultimates won't be f2p, or if they are it will only be a few.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I see where you are going, but not its honestly not their intentions. In the early video blogs a mod stated they wanted people to be able to perform as different class fighters. They wanted there to be ways where tanking was a viable option not just as a meleer, but as a ranger and mager. They also wanted DPSers to be distinct which they clearly showed with offhand weaponry and duel wielding. I am thinking their next hurdle is possibly making healing an ability to be performed whether it be from summoning or using food on a player outside of dungeoneering. The big change I think that needs to be brought to combat is breaking that healing barrier.

It wasn't supposed to look soo meleecentric as they've shown the same sort of options are going to be availible for all 3 classes. But youre right, though it could have been a useful structure for intra-class fights to build off.

as for the healing thing, all they would have to do is take the rune and magic req off heal other, make it heal a bit more LP than you lose instead of a 1:1 ratio, put a cooldown and small prayer consumption on it then it would actually be useful. Food and potions would still be the source of the LP but the healer will be distributing the LP during combat to prevent KOs, keep people doing their roles and get a bit extra mileage out of the supplies if used properly.

Well, it's understandable that certain parts of this update are P2P only. A lot of it needs to be available in F2P tho. I hope F2P will get ultimates - less ultimates, weaker versions of P2P ults, sure, but still get ults. I figure F2P will (should) have at least one ult per class. Melee, mage, range 2H ult, shield ult .I don't think the shield/tank ults will be class specific - look at the healing hand one. That one doesn't care which combat style you use (this statement is based on my theory of F2P getting an ult per class being correct. I'd be mildly surprised if P2P didn't get some combat specific shield ults.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Since every type is getting a stun, I also hope that a form of teleblock is available at a very low level to all style in addition to ways to counter teleblock. I've always hated how someone with 25 magic has a "defensive" spell that counters 99 range (opinion was before jewelry had a right click teleport option).

One thing I just thought about: are there ideas that can improve team mates to assist each other? Someone above mentioned the healer class, but I like the idea of team based abilities in combat. Not sure if it's feasible or can be balanced, so it's just an idea.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

So, claws are getting split into main hand and offhand claws. It sounds like they are 75% each, as opposed to a 50% offhand weapon. So perhaps they will keep a place as a powerful offensive offhand, but it would depend on their stats.

Ancients being changed:

"Mod Rathe:

Ancient spells have been renamed slightly and now fall in line with the 4 basic elements:

Smoke > Gale (Air Element)

Shadow > Rock (Earth Element)

Blood > Bloodfire (Fire Element)

Ice stays the same (Water Element)"

Aww :( I liked that ancient magics had their own elements..

Same. This might be the first thing about what I have heard so far that I really dislike. To me, a huge part of ancients was that it was Zaros' magic, and it operated completly differently to anything else we knew about. Also, the old names simply had more cool factor, and shadow in particular had an awesome animation that I really hope doesn't look anything like the current earth one now (I detest the current earth animation and will go out of my way to avoid using it).

The one thing I never got about ancient magics though was why ice beat blood. A human has potential to survive a flash freeze. It will do damage, but its not garunteed to be fatal. Having the blood leaving your body forcefully through your skin (which is what the blood spells do) on the other hand would cause massive blood loss, and inflict massive wounds to huge portions of your skin and muscle tissue, as well as likely trauma to your internal organs. You would not survive this for very long, and you certainly wouldn't be fighting back after that. You probably wouldn't even be able to writhe around in pain.

For the sheer grusume factor, in addition to being clearly more lethal (to me), I always felt blood should be on top.

However, I think they also had an excellent reason for this. Weaknesses are going to matter now, and weaknesses line up with the four traditional elements. For ancients to continue being effective, they need to line up as well, and its less confusing to change them over to a new set of names than it is to assign them each an (arbitrary) element and hope we remember them. Also, it seems like this means miasma is no longer part of the set (with there being 4 elements and all), unless miasma now counts as whichever element your enemy is weak to (which would actually be kind of neat).

Has the beta opened up yet? Are there any people posting videos?

Opens on the 26th. Trust me, if it was open now, you would be hearing a lot more noise about it.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I see where you are going, but not its honestly not their intentions. In the early video blogs a mod stated they wanted people to be able to perform as different class fighters. They wanted there to be ways where tanking was a viable option not just as a meleer, but as a ranger and mager. They also wanted DPSers to be distinct which they clearly showed with offhand weaponry and duel wielding. I am thinking their next hurdle is possibly making healing an ability to be performed whether it be from summoning or using food on a player outside of dungeoneering. The big change I think that needs to be brought to combat is breaking that healing barrier.

It wasn't supposed to look soo meleecentric as they've shown the same sort of options are going to be availible for all 3 classes. But youre right, though it could have been a useful structure for intra-class fights to build off.

as for the healing thing, all they would have to do is take the rune and magic req off heal other, make it heal a bit more LP than you lose instead of a 1:1 ratio, put a cooldown and small prayer consumption on it then it would actually be useful. Food and potions would still be the source of the LP but the healer will be distributing the LP during combat to prevent KOs, keep people doing their roles and get a bit extra mileage out of the supplies if used properly.

I disagree that the healer shouldn't have to spend runes in the heal other spells. One thing I think should be added to the games combat mechanic is making it so magic offense or summoning from gear would act as a magnifier to abilities. Abilities like heal other, bunyip healing and the bunyips swallow whole and unicorns healing scroll effects get magnified. Jagex could eve use healing familars to balance the damaged healers take from heal other. With the soon to be release of the combat beta and the ability to make/find orbs for offhand weapons i would imagine them having hugh magic offense stats which would be more suitable to this concept. I think doing this would make flasking summoning doses a viable option as well.

Another thought would be to make healers a class sought after. I would like to imagine people spending money up front for a good healer. That might actually be a bad idea because the rs community is a cold and fickle one and could imagine people getting screwed over for doing a good job or it being an elitist community like dung is/was with keyers.

I may actually work on a healing concept and add it to my blog where I keep concepts and ideas.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Hmm, surely JAGeX will allow some mod-controls in this BETA for all players, I mean, surely we aren't expected to "work hard to get Gp" and then buy these weapons?

Maybe they'll all be in a shop where we can buy the quite cheaply for testing purposes, I mean, in the last BETA everything we had got removed from the game before the real release was launched.

Hmm, surely JAGeX will allow some mod-controls in this BETA for all players, I mean, surely we aren't expected to "work hard to get Gp" and then buy these weapons?

Maybe they'll all be in a shop where we can buy the quite cheaply for testing purposes, I mean, in the last BETA everything we had got removed from the game before the real release was launched.

It's already confirmed that there will be a shop where we can get free items.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

It's already confirmed that there will be a shop where we can get free items.

Simply; awesome!

Yeah I read that forum mods posts stating that all levels of armor will be I the shop for free. They are calling it a beta shop and I'm willing to bet there might be multiple shop interfaces for weapons, armor types, potions and food as well.

Returning to how magic spells will work the bits video stated it will be the same as duel wielding other class weapons. Instead of wielding duel wands (slightly redundant for a fantasy game) you'll have a chance to wield an offensive shield that comes in the form of orbs. These orbs increase castig times and damage output making the duel wield damage output equivalent to other style duel wield dps.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Just rename shadow to Hades, everyone gets the concept of the 'underworld', keeps the theme but has a more obvious connection to its new elemental affinity. I think its pretty obvious what the elements of the other ancients spells are without having to patronise us with awkward, ugly noun-noun agglutanatives or basically just doubling up on air. Societies were making stories about how smoke = 'bad air', blood = 'fire of life' and shadowy places under the earth thousands of years ago and without contact with each other, so its not like some completely wild flight of fancy without precident, and are the exact things that lead them to assign the classical elements in the way they did anyway.

Just rename shadow to Hades, everyone gets the concept of the 'underworld', keeps the theme but has a more obvious connection to its new elemental affinity. I think its pretty obvious what the elements of the other ancients spells are without having to patronise us with awkward, ugly noun-noun agglutanatives or basically just doubling up on air. Societies were making stories about how smoke = 'bad air', blood = 'fire of life' and shadowy places under the earth thousands of years ago and without contact with each other, so its not like some completely wild flight of fancy without precident, and are the exact things that lead them to assign the classical elements in the way they did anyway.

Blood is also heavily associated with strength, lifeforce etc. and therefore earth, and shadow is basically a consequence of fire.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Ice and smoke were the only obvious ones imo. Hell, if it wasn't for the Ice Spells, I'd expect blood to be water. If it wasn't for smoke I'd put shadow under air.

And honestly, if Jagex is actually going to make the elements matter, I fully understand and support why they're changing ancient magik, which previously seemed kinda separate from the four classical elements, to giving them elements.

Random mostly unrelated thought: when the beta comes out, we should start a new thread rather then keep using this one. (Or some other one.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

I want to duel wield two (rubber) chickens and have them squawk to each other :). SO excited!

Hate to break your bubble, but dual wielding requires a specific off-hand weapon to be equipped for dual wielding. You can't equip a regular weapon in your off-hand slot.

Also, I want the beta to come out so I can dual cast magic =D

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png