The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Two rapiers ???? that'd maybe make slayer & trainer faster.

Seriously, the crossbow dual wielding is as unrealistic as idk what (magic I suppose), but the knives is fun.

The hybrid ranged/melee dual wield is also great to see, as stupid as it is irl, it does give a reassurance that hybriding will be viable.

Honestly the graphics and new stuff (fingers! hotkeys!) almost make me forgive the stupidity of the new combat level formula/xp penalty for training on low levels.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Bloody hell! want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

This has easily made up for the slightly dissapointing Og Blog earlier in the week. Also just sold a Master Wand for 15m :D

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

The more we learn, the more I am reminded of Guild Wars 2's combat.

The evolved combat looks entertaining, but I hope it doesn't become too tedious. I don't know if I have the attention for that kind of long-term training once the novelty of this all wears off. It will probably be very inefficient to stick to the old AFKing ways.

cliffside1ra5.png

The more we learn, the more I am reminded of Guild Wars 2's combat.

The evolved combat looks entertaining, but I hope it doesn't become too tedious. I don't know if I have the attention for that kind of long-term training once the novelty of this all wears off. It will probably be very inefficient to stick to the old AFKing ways.

I'm sure there will be oncoming mechanic inclusions. Also I am sure that players will get down methods for certain creatures that offer good semi-AFKable xp where you set X, Y and Z to your hotbar and hit 1, 2, 3 once cool downs pop or maybe 1, 2, 1, 2, 3...etc.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

brb gotta get another cr

Those running animations look clunky. Yes, your new weapon holding poses are great, but people don't tend to run like that. I think the graphics team needs to be put back in the dungeon a bit longer.

It's still in beta and isn't expected until September if everything goes well. Will probably look more smooth for the real release.

Deffo excited for dual-wiedling, I wonder if this means defenders are gonna be replaced afterall what is the point in an offensive shield item when we can dual wield.

Interesting that mage dual wielding comes from books and orbs n stuff rather than 2 weapons.

And new range n mage shields sound sweeet

And hybrid wielding seems epic

Also I doubt you can dual wield shields to those mentioning that, after all you would not be able to attack which defeats the entire purpose of combat plus the video specifically says you can dual wield but it costs you your shield spot the direct inference being weapons can go to shield slot but not the reverse.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Deffo excited for dual-wiedling, I wonder if this means defenders are gonna be replaced afterall what is the point in an offensive shield item when we can dual wield.

Interesting that mage dual wielding comes from books and orbs n stuff rather than 2 weapons.

And new range n mage shields sound sweeet

And hybrid wielding seems epic

Also I doubt you can dual wield shields to those mentioning that, after all you would not be able to attack which defeats the entire purpose of combat plus the video specifically says you can dual wield but it costs you your shield spot the direct inference being weapons can go to shield slot but not the reverse.

Shield bash? Not very powerful for sure, but it could at least be used in tandem while some other person deals damage while you stun them etc. with shield bash.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Woah :shock:

Really wasn't expecting dual wielding. Looks amazing, though. I imagine that dual wielding will be standard for training/slayer.

Pvp, who knows? That defensive ult with the shield looks incredibly strong, I guess it's sort of a trade off where you won't have much chance of killing your opponent but you won't die easily either. I imagine it might be better to deal with that attack by making sure you don't kill them while the ult is still running.

The range/melee hybrid was cool too, so I guess that is the future of hybriding, instead of having to switch everything.

Could mean some very interesting bind choices need to be made in dungeoneering. If monsters don't get too much strong, I bet we''ll see dual wield binds become common in high level dgers.

Also hope I don't need to have duplicates of all of my chaotic weapons lol

Anyone else saw the shield he used at the end?

Looks like some new badass shield from a boss. Also, the ultimate of the shield is insane.

It had the Bandos symbol on it so I'm assuming it's going to be a new drop from Graardor. Also, did anyone notice the armour set one of them was wearing? It was definitely not released whatever it was.

When this does go live it looks like a lot of new equipment is going to be added.

Sylpheed.png

I guess Defenders will be a mid-way point between shields and offhand weapons, less HP boost; but access to Dual wielding abilities (with reduced DPS).

Dusk%20Soul.png

Chaotic rapier vs longsword? Both! :shades:

Couple of things, I don't know if it's a different menu because he was holding a key, but the tooltip says wield offhand dragon scimitar. Potential for turning every dragon weapon now into a rare drop? I like that idea.

Also, noticed that potato... :rolleyes:

edit, on the hybrid dual wielding.. Did TDs just get a lot easier?

LgEZt.png

Mods: I know that there's a topic regarding the Combat Evo BETA but I think this topic of its own will be large enough simply on the discussion on this one term. If you don't then by all means remove it.

====================

If you haven't seen the video, here's the link.

Basically, it's official, you will be able to dual-wield weapons, 2 scimitars, but only 1 whip is allowed (due to the visual effects/moving the whip).

Does anyone think this will be overpowered? I mean, Chaotic Rapier and Whip, or even 2 Chaotic Rapiers?

Unless Shields are going to have a really heavy bonus we haven't seen in any BTS videos or text yet I think this'll be extremely unfair.

Not to mention the fact that training will be much, much faster now.

Oh, by the way, don't worry, you can also dual-wield crossbows (or knives, etc) if you're a ranger and for those Magers, half-speed magic spells (twice as fast).

Oh, and for you tribrids or hybrids, you can cross them over, an example would be:

Whip, Crossbow and a spell.

====================

Overpowered?

All 2-handed weapons now have a 150% damage boost, example: Your max hit with 1 hand is 100, you'd now hit 150.

This still doesn't seem sufficient (at a first glance), but hopefully the BETA will shed some light on it.

Everyone is just assuming dual-wielding under the current system (which likely would be incredibly overpowered)

I doubt two whips will give you the dps of two whips, likely it is more like 1.5x or something. Anyway its a nice solution of separating warrior/tank roles for bosses.

Training will increase in speed a little but not by too much, since everything will be rebalanced anyway

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

[qfc]296-297-188-63814162[/qfc]

Mod Rathe clarifies how dual-wielding will work.

We will need specific "off-hand" versions of weapons to dual-wield. Excalibur is being made off-hand only.

Don't go spending tokens on extra chaotics just yet, off-hand versions will be released with the combat update!

This is going to be epic.

200000000.png

Don't forget in video you can wield a melee weapon and crossbow, that will complicate matters as to which prayer/ability to use

In reference to the off hand weapon news from ModRathe, wonder what reqs. they will have, such as can you wield OH Drag scim. without completing MM etc. and will they have a def. req to use also

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.