The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Now I'm wondering how XP will be handled in all this? I don't think it's going to be HP based anymore. I can see it where a monster will have a set XP and you get a portion of that XP proportional to how much you damage it.

That seems to be implied in the quote.

crossed_body.png

I don't think it will KILL hybriding, maybe the''youtube hybrids'' that pk in edgeville will be affected since you can't combo huge damage in a matter of seconds if you switch armours, but if your target is teleblocked you can still work him out of food thus keeping real hybrids viable, but we don't really know much about it all yet only time will tell.

[qfc]296-297-574-63808127[/qfc]

by Mod Rathe

After interrogating my fellow combat developers, here is more detailed information on XP:

The XP reduction kicks in based on comparing your offensive stat to the enemy Defence level, and in fact does not use your overall combat level. Here is an example:

I have 99 Attack, 99 Defence and 1 Magic.

I Mage an NPC with 50 Defence, and I have selected to Mage defensively, so gaining Magic and Defence XP.

Let's say this NPC awards 200 XP, therefore 50% (100 XP) is for Magic and 50% (100 XP) is for Defence.

My Defence skill is more than 30 levels above the NPC so this XP is reduced down to 10% (10 XP).

However, my Magic skill is less than 30 levels away from the NPC so I get 100% of my Magic XP (100 XP).

I am awarded 10 Defence XP and 100 Magic XP.

The reduction is only applied down, never up. So if I kill an NPC that is 50 levels higher than my offence and defence skill, I will be awarded 100% of the XP.

However, if my offence and defence skills are 30+ levels above the NPC I kill, I shall only be awarded 10% of the XP.

This is pretty important and I hope I'm reading it right. The system is looking at the skill you're leveling versus the primary skill the monster will counter it (either it's offensive or defensive stat). You don't want to train defense on a monster with its offensive stat too low and you don't train atk/mag/rng against an enemy with low defensive stat. However, this is beneficial to players with divergent range, mage and melee stats. Reason being, even if you're a high combat level thanks to 90 atk, you can still train on low level NPCs if you happen to have and use a low level range skill.

Also, if I'm reading this right, monsters will have weapons and armor of a level that fits their base stat. An NPC with 40 atk and 40 def will also be using something like rune armor and weapons. If that's the case, a monster's combat level and a player's combat level (that's fully equipped) will be comparable in power. That's unlike now where a level 138 NPC would be no competition to a fairly equipped level 80 player.

Now I'm wondering how XP will be handled in all this? I don't think it's going to be HP based anymore. I can see it where a monster will have a set XP and you get a portion of that XP proportional to how much you damage it.

What I'm thinking...this basically means that it's probably pretty bad to train defence during slayer, since the "good" slayer monsters have low defence. Either you sacrifice slayer speed to get more defence xp, or you'll have to train defence seperately.

[qfc]296-297-574-63808127[/qfc]

by Mod Rathe

After interrogating my fellow combat developers, here is more detailed information on XP:

The XP reduction kicks in based on comparing your offensive stat to the enemy Defence level, and in fact does not use your overall combat level. Here is an example:

I have 99 Attack, 99 Defence and 1 Magic.

I Mage an NPC with 50 Defence, and I have selected to Mage defensively, so gaining Magic and Defence XP.

Let's say this NPC awards 200 XP, therefore 50% (100 XP) is for Magic and 50% (100 XP) is for Defence.

My Defence skill is more than 30 levels above the NPC so this XP is reduced down to 10% (10 XP).

However, my Magic skill is less than 30 levels away from the NPC so I get 100% of my Magic XP (100 XP).

I am awarded 10 Defence XP and 100 Magic XP.

The reduction is only applied down, never up. So if I kill an NPC that is 50 levels higher than my offence and defence skill, I will be awarded 100% of the XP.

However, if my offence and defence skills are 30+ levels above the NPC I kill, I shall only be awarded 10% of the XP.

This is pretty important and I hope I'm reading it right. The system is looking at the skill you're leveling versus the primary skill the monster will counter it (either it's offensive or defensive stat). You don't want to train defense on a monster with its offensive stat too low and you don't train atk/mag/rng against an enemy with low defensive stat. However, this is beneficial to players with divergent range, mage and melee stats. Reason being, even if you're a high combat level thanks to 90 atk, you can still train on low level NPCs if you happen to have and use a low level range skill.

Also, if I'm reading this right, monsters will have weapons and armor of a level that fits their base stat. An NPC with 40 atk and 40 def will also be using something like rune armor and weapons. If that's the case, a monster's combat level and a player's combat level (that's fully equipped) will be comparable in power. That's unlike now where a level 138 NPC would be no competition to a fairly equipped level 80 player.

What I'm thinking...this basically means that it's probably pretty bad to train defence during slayer, since the "good" slayer monsters have low defence. Either you sacrifice slayer speed to get more defence xp, or you'll have to train defence seperately.

This is based on the at least partly false assumption that all slayer monsters relatively low def will remain. Considering the new damage outputs players have and the fact monsters are getting REAL cmb levels based on same formula as players I'd think many higher level slayer monsters defence is going to be raised which would bypass this issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The example was if ( skill you are training - target's defense > 30) divide xp by 10.

So its always against the target's defense level. Keep in mind that doesn't count defensive gear, so we really don't know. Plus, being able to deal more damage (especially if the abilities don't miss as much) will lead to faster slayer anyways.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

But the best slayer monster will still be those with low defence, and the worst those with high defence. So I'd assume that blocking those who are worst will probably result in getting more tasks with low def monsters who might be below your level range.

I'm thinking that most of the monsters that we do now (metal dragons, black demons, aberant spectres, nechryaels, abyssals, hell hounds) all of these I suspect will be in the range of good xp even in the 90s. Obviously we can't know for sure but.. I bet that high lvl slayer masters will assign decent range of monsters for a high level combat player.

Serena_Sedai.png

That still assumes a lot though. We have no idea if fighting things with low def is going to be the best route now.

It could easily be the case, as other mentioned, that xp is a set amount independent of the monsters lp (aside from measuring % of kill done) and that kind of system is likely to give substantially better xp for fighting harder monsters, which could mean that aiming for low def slayer tasks is not the way to go.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I kinda like the idea of armor switching cooldown. It enforces people to stick with one combat style during a fight, instead of just switching through the triangle as they please. But I hope the cooldown isn't a huge detriment that makes it pointless to switch armor, but it should make armor switching more of a risky decision to make. It gives a short term disadvantage, but it could get you a longer term benefit if your opponent's style is trumped by what you switched to.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

If the combat triangle is going to be so pronounced, it seems that a gear cooldown could just mean your oponent has to then switch gears.. And then you switch gears back again, forever stuck in the cooldown.

Sounds exciting.

Sidenote, I hope they change the noise it makes when you're stunned. It is so annoying in those videos, that constant whistling noise. I mean it seems to be a fairly prevalent tactic as well, hopefully they'll give it some less annoying sound, and perhaps even variation.

LgEZt.png

^ People play RS with the sound turned on?

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

I turn sound on for quests, never for 'normal' stuff though other than occasionally to aid in penguin hunting; far too repetitive during normal training.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I always play with sound on. :(

I guess it actually helps for pvp/pvm though.

I hope tds get some kind of update to reduce the switching needed. :unsure:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I like the sound :) I don't keep it high and usually turn of the music but its nice to hear the sounds of combat/other stuff. I hope the sounds only get better.

Serena_Sedai.png

I keep the sound on if I'm actually paying attention to the game. Sometimes tho, the easiest way to get through skilling is to watch a show of some sort. In which case the sound gets in the way.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I NEED 600K MORE TOKENS

When he dual wielded the scimitars I was like "Oh yeah, it's probably gonna be some cosmetic thing lol"

After he was done demonstrating dual wielding with melee and ranged I was literally going WTF

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.