20-Nov-2012 - Evolution of Combat: Now Live!

Randox

I noticed the

I am having trouble killing Lesser demons on my noobiest account, but that is probably because it is only at 31 Ranged. :P

If someone can recommend me a better area to train Ranged on F2P, I'm looking for one.

I'm training ranged right now and trying to figure that out as well. It looks like F2P'ers will have to search around to find what the best new monsters are for melee, ranged, and magic (I'm assuming this is based on what monsters have weaknesses to those things).

Protip: From my samples, Momentum gives you the same or greater xp/hr, so don't bother spamming abilities if you're just training.

Noticed that too. I think it would be quite a strain to hammer the abilities out fast enough to beat momentum. It's pretty good. The abilities are really more suited for the bosses and pvp I think (and dungeoneering since it would be difficult to get an ultimate off).

So the first GE update after EOC was released and the dragon limbs did not change in price. Rumour was that TDs dropped them, but it seems unlikely that not even one would be sold on the first day. I suppose it could just be very very rare but...

Considering the completed crossbow did not appear in GE, maybe it was a slip up or they just added it to the make-x interfaces for completeness, and we will see them released later with Kalphite King, POPs or some other boss.

Hey guys, I havent played in about 6 months.. Just got membs for a month (for now). Update seems really cool..one question i got: Is chinning still good/the best range exp? i have a ton left (enough for me to get 99 range probably) in my bank.. but is this still a good method or should i do something else? thanks! :P also curious about 2h vs dual wield as sy said

So far tehre's little to no debate. dual Wielding is inferior to 2H in every way but mommentum on Ranging (except thrown), Maging and Crushing Melee. Once 2H Slash, Stab and Thrown tier 80 are released, they will to be superior. Melee is the style where 2H isn't as dominant, do to a healthy number of dual wielding abilities, unlike mage or range.

Erm... antifires if you can't use the shield. Have I missed something here?

DV is F2P, isn't he? F2P'ers don't have access to antifire potions.

Of course, there's also only one dragon in F2P, and as far as I'm aware she's still broken.

Yes, I am indeed F2P! The Anti-Dragon Shield has been my defensive mainstay for years now, and it's worse than appalling that Jagex has gone and taken it away, as it leaves me without a shield I know and trust to keep me safe. sad.png

On other notes, it isn't the only thing making me want to leave. The fact that Jagex has [bleep]ed F2P over for 7 years in a row now should also be a good indicator of reasons that I would want to leave. Plus, there are a whole slew of extra things that have been turned problematic by the introduction of the EoC, including non-listening controls. angry.png

In fact, the only reason I haven't left yet is because I've got nowhere to turn the next time I stress out. That, and the fact that I've already come back due to that problem quite a few times already. :wall:

~D. V. "Jagex is too sticky a spider web..." Devnull

Dude... Magic has shields, they are the Batwing Shields and Splitbark Shieds, buy them from the GE. Don't be that guy who tries to finds faults in everything, but doesn't investigate. If you still want to use Anti Dragon shield, use a Wand and that shield, Bam problem solved.

• Like 1

So the first GE update after EOC was released and the dragon limbs did not change in price. Rumour was that TDs dropped them, but it seems unlikely that not even one would be sold on the first day. I suppose it could just be very very rare but...

Considering the completed crossbow did not appear in GE, maybe it was a slip up or they just added it to the make-x interfaces for completeness, and we will see them released later with Kalphite King, POPs or some other boss.

I do find it strange that the limbs are tradable but the completed crossbow isn't. Dragon weapons have never been untradeable except for defender.

Also, don't be surprised if there aren't any buying. Although TD's are killable, the EoC reduced their mechanics to a bumbling mess.

I killed about five before getting tired of the cool down penalty for switching weapons and left.

Sylpheed.png

Next highly sought after gear: Ahrim's wand and book.

I tried buying ahrim's wand on the GE for 5m, but wouldn't go. I'm assuming mass offers for the item are being made, but definitely the next highly sought after item since its the best "duel wield" option for magers.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Has anyone else noticed that you sometimes automatically use abilities like Dismember with Momentum on?

Next highly sought after gear: Ahrim's wand and book.

I tried buying ahrim's wand on the GE for 5m, but wouldn't go. I'm assuming mass offers for the item are being made, but definitely the next highly sought after item since its the best "duel wield" option for magers.

What happened to the virtus wand + book?

Is there a list of monsters with a category to sort by weakness then level or xp?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Is the only way to target a creature to click above the chat and then on the creature?

I only did the tutorial so I havent even really tried

If that is the case, then its really annoying :(

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

I have well enough cash to get ahrim's wand and book I just don't want to risk putting in a bid with greedy goobers running a muck. Because seeking any new nex gear on the GE might as well be like seeking something that doesn't exist at all. By the way master's wand and mage's book is the 3rd highest wand and book piece.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I never really liked the idea of EoC and after playing a few days of the Beta when it first came out I really hoped it'd be scrapped or at least not released until after Christmas time.

So now, with it released, I'm becoming more and more confused when things are being explained to me now, tiers, gear, abilities whatever. It's just like - WHAT?? Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake with this, or just adverse to change (I am kinda stubborn and entrenched in my ways). Octarine has even gotten to the point of not bothering to even try to explain anything to me any more and keeps trying to usher me towards the tutorial. I've now no idea what a good slayer set up is for a general melee task, and can't gear as normal with Rapier + Ddef sorting everything out as it'll be awful DPS. Apparently it's something to do with not being on the same tier or whatever.

The combat also seems to be a lot more boring and annoying to me. Whereas some people (I forget who, who made that fantastic and elaborate post about the stunning an enemy for 6 seconds, jumping back blah blah blah) find EoC riveting with the amount of cool "cinematic" combinations you can create... I find it just as easy to ask people what the best binds to the action bar are, and then once in combat it's just essentially:

Click Enemy

Face -> Keyboard

Roll around

Glance up to see if enemy is dead

Rinse and repeat.

Therefore with that in mind EoC was always going to turn my RSing into EoS - Era of Skilling - as I sincerely hated the combat, but even that is looking rather suspect. Hell, the skilling interfaces - ie. When making staves it gives you all sorts of info taking up your screen room - are so in your face that it makes me positively claustrophobic. I just end up wanting to punch my screen and go sit in an open space breathing in and out of a brown paper bag. Or better yet, punch the JMod responsible for such an atrocious set up.

Anyways, I've had my 5 minute rant about this now... Now to get back to trying to understand how on earth to make the action bar more skilling orientated...

• Like 4

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Slayer setup for EoC mashing haters (melee weak tasks):

Full Slayer Helm

Whisper/Fury

BCP

Tassets

Rapier + EEE, CLS + EEE or Maul (based on weakness)

TokHaar-Kal/Fire Cape/Skillcape

Steads/Bandos boots

Warrior (i)/Onyx (i)

Mash to 100% adrenaline and use Momentum.

Repeat every 10/20 minutes.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Click Enemy

Face -> Keyboard

Roll around

Glance up to see if enemy is dead

Rinse and repeat.

Therefore with that in mind EoC was always going to turn my RSing into EoS - Era of Skilling - as I sincerely hated the combat, but even that is looking rather suspect. Hell, the skilling interfaces - ie. When making staves it gives you all sorts of info taking up your screen room - are so in your face that it makes me positively claustrophobic. I just end up wanting to punch my screen and go sit in an open space breathing in and out of a brown paper bag. Or better yet, punch the JMod responsible for such an atrocious set up.

Oh, god... SOOO funny. That is pretty much it. I think its about setting up a line of abilities that you know will constantly rotate (as far as general combat is concerned). You shouldn't have to worry if your waiting for something on cooldown. But the general idea is, for your minds sake, use the abilities for your gear set-up (one hand, two hand, duel-wield or defensive shield abilities) with the highest cooldown first. Now use the next highest cooldown, next highest, etc., etc. The point is that when an ability is used or "poped" it goes into cooldown. Your action bar, to further explain, should have cooldowns such as this, going from start to finish, 45 sec, 30 sec, 20 sec, 10 sec, etc. You then have a global cooldown of what - 1 second - and you hit the next ability.

Here is an example:

You have a rotation of 4 abilities; slice (5 second cooldown), fury (20s cd), dismember (30s cd), punish (5s cd)

You start off your rotation using dismember, which goes into a 30 sec cd. You wait 1 sec. You use slice, which then goes into a 5 sec cd. You wait 1 sec. You use fury, which goes into a 20 sec cd. You wait 1 sec. You then use punish, which then goes into a 5 sec cd. You wait 1 sec. Next you use slice, again, which then goes into a 5 sec cd. At this point one of oyur high cooldown abilities would have poped and you'll use that one and repeat the process.

The issue with this rotation is you'll use your two low cooldown abilities as buffers in between your high cooldown abilities so you wont always go straight through them as explained. You should expect to do things something like: dismember, buffer 1, fury, buffer 2, buffer 1, dismember, etc. The grand concept of rotation is to fill the gap when waiting for bigger cooldowns to pop. When bigger and better abilities come it will still stay the same.

Don't get too confused on abilities because what jagex is doing, essentially, is trying to give you abilities that will be quite beneficial to events down the road. For example ricochet, a ranged ability, allows you to fire off an arrow and it will hit another nearby enemy for damage. This would probably be useful for corporal beast when he spawns the core on you. Now don't get all over me with technicalities, but thats pretty much the concept. Later on we should expect to see more abilities. Also we should expect to see bosses and players rushing to the frontier working on ideal rotations for certain situations such as my corporal beast example.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

DHAROK'S SET... Dear GOD. You guys HAVE TO TRY THIS SHIT OUT FOR YOURSELF.

seoc.png

That's only a SAMPLE of its POWER. I once killed FIVE HELLHOUNDS IN ONE SINGLE ATTACK! I would've screenshotted.

That was one of my favourite things to do on the EOC beta: messing around with Dharoks. One of the monsters that it truly decimated was Hellhounds. It's a lot of fun, no matter where you take it.

• Like 1