14th Jan - Kalphite King

Sylpheed

Bought drygore mace and hit some stuff with it.

Takes 25,000 chitin scraps to fully repair a main hand drygore weapon from 0%. Not sure about offhands or coin cost.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Mace bought and sold for 225.6M, rapier and longsword are apparently going for 380-420M, offhands are under GE mid.

There was a sharp rise in prices today largely fuelled by two hotfixes to KK, the first preventing him from getting bound by entangle and the second allowing him to change phase even if he can't reach his target, so kills aren't going to be that easy any more.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Mace bought and sold for 225.6M, rapier and longsword are apparently going for 380-420M, offhands are under GE mid.

There was a sharp rise in prices today largely fuelled by two hotfixes to KK, the first preventing him from getting bound by entangle and the second allowing him to change phase even if he can't reach his target, so kills aren't going to be that easy any more.

Good, because it was getting a bit ridiculous on how easy it was with the right tactic.

So ca someone explain what is going on in that vid? I don't got a good enough connection to stream it.

Kalphite king is going after one guy who's standing behind two other people blocking the kalphite king from being able to attack the person so he never actually hits anyone. Everyone attacks kalphite king with steel titans and maxed gear and the KK goes down in 45 seconds.

So a tactic people used years ago at Barrows rears it head again? You'd think Jagex would know by now to give boss monsters the ability to knock people aside or walk through them. Still, good on players finding a technique that works.

Actually no, if you look at the mage on the right, he's using entangle on kk occasionally, makes the kk rooted but still focused on a target he can't reach, repeat when the effect is over. This was fixed today tho.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

As far as I could tell, the skill capes got stats for lv 99, which the quest cape doesn't require so it isn't statted for 99...

A quest cape requires about 24M experience minimum (with a total level of 1790). Compared to 13M for an untrimmed skillcape or 26M for a trimmed skillcape.

IMO, the discrepancy in stats now can only be a result of carelessness on Jagex's part. The quest cape has had stats matching skillcapes for years and years now.

• Like 3

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

As far as I could tell, the skill capes got stats for lv 99, which the quest cape doesn't require so it isn't statted for 99...

A quest cape requires about 24M experience minimum. Compared to 13M for an untrimmed skillcape or 26M for a trimmed skillcape.

IMO, the discrepancy in stats now can only be a result of carelessness on Jagex's part. The quest cape has had stats matching skillcapes for years and years now.

Let's not forget the lower average xp rate for the quest cape, due to the lower levels involved. 77 agility/mining for ROTM anyone?

I think the tier 99 stats on skillcapes are fine as rewards for getting a 99, but they are out of place right now because there is only tier 80/85 armour at best. However, it's not an immediate problem I think, as it won't increase your survivability so much that it unbalances things.

TokHaar and such can use a boost though.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

the 99 capes deserving the stat boost over the quest cape is only as good as the weakest 99 skill versus the most difficult quest, a gap of effort that increases with every release of a bigger quest boss and the introduction of new training methods

there's no bot that will do every quest automatically

8f14270694.jpg

Legitimate players shouldn't be punished just because it's possible to bot a 99.

• Like 3

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Tbh, I would rather give each cape a small bonus in the respective skill rather than all have defense due to 99.... But it makes enough sense.

Quest cape could definitely be better, but not necessarily 99.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Quest cape could definitely be better, but not necessarily 99.

It's a simple fact that the quest cape is harder to get than a 99. I can only imagine that it continues to have second-class status in the eyes of many players because this hasn't always been the case.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Okay let me restate jagex isn't pretending that they can catch all of the bugs. They are doing to content testing what they did with moderating the community. They are putting the testing it in the players hands, those who purchased the silver/gold premium membership. While having open beta testing might be a much bigger expectation for players I think they will keep most of them closed to keep some surprise for the rest of the community. I would imagine not every piece of content will get thrown into the closed beta servers, but for the sake of the argument lets say one big update every 2-3 months? Ideally I would like to see the showcase one update a month for content testing, but you know that's probably a far cry for jagex.

Just sounds like a bad idea. If there's a beta it needs to be as open as possible to help prevent market manipulation. Now, if there's a lot of gold and silver members then I guess that's ok. However, they'll run into the same problem that occured with Beta last summer: lack of participation. One player offered a great suggestion to just offer SoF, SGS or Loyalty benefits for so many hours per week of beta testing while going a step further and offering extra incentives for specific areas or new content. Don't expect much testing if the only criteria is a player paid a year in advance.

One benefit of always having an open Beta server(s) is players able to test riskier aspects of the game that's not done en masse in the real game. Maybe some of those 2 billion gp dupes would have been found earlier had players been able to test out what happens when you run against the item cap for instance. Is there harm in keeping Beta servers open even if they never put content in ahead of time? I'm sure many players would rather test out Kalphite King on safe Betas before risking their gear in the real game for example.

I don't see a need to put updates like this into beta testing. There's an element of players wanting to fill their boots here. Beta is something used for whole games because the release of new content is so massive, that it's realistically impossible to explore every nook and cranny for major bugs and glitches. The idea is that many, untrained eyes are better for this task than a few people who know what to look for.

The Kalphite King by comparison is a tiny update to a much, much larger game. Contrast that with EoC which affected literally every monster you could fight, including quest bosses. The latter was put into a beta, the other was not. The potential for missing major bugs in QA was much greater and therefore a beta was used.

Something I've learned through the years is there's no such thing as a 'small update' with regards to the RS code. With a Beta phase, you can hope that hundreds of testers will notice what the dozens of inhouse testers did not.

Just my opinion on the matter. There are pros and cons to it of course.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Skillcapes should be cosmetic first, practical second. I liked it when they were decent, but not the best at anything. Having the best combat cape in the game from getting 99 cooking is ridiculous though.

Quest cape is in the same boat, easy but takes a long time. It should have the same stats as a skillcape, prayer bonus included. Both should fall short of capes like the Tokhaar-Kal which take at least a little bit of skill to get. Maybe even far shorter.

I'm fine with closed betas. And honestly the KK would probably not be a good idea for closed beta, but it was just an example and nothing more. Honestly I think the prices for all of the weapons are fine, but I'm still a bit peeved that we haven't seen an on par crush weapon with the others.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The problem with Jagex doing beta testing is that they need to actually step in and fix the bugs that we find. It's a two-way street, so to speak.

This is an excellent point. Especially considering all of the reported bugs they didn't fix during the ~6 month EOC beta.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Few silent updates:

3) Finished dragon crossbow are now tradeable.

Huzzah!

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Sure would be nice to see some kind of risk factor with kk. From what I see, it's currently, for all intents and purposes, 100% safe no risk.

then again this is 2013 runescape, and because "wtf uder games i no lose stoof", runescape should therefore be just the same. /end sarcasm

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Sure would be nice to see some kind of risk factor with kk. From what I see, it's currently, for all intents and purposes, 100% safe no risk.

then again this is 2013 runescape, and because "wtf uder games i no lose stoof", runescape should therefore be just the same. /end sarcasm

Inb4 they make a new minigame titled "The Most Dangerous Game" where a fight anywhere world is introduced and points are gained and put towards bonus xp. Just to take your breath away.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

If you're going to make drops that rare and levels that high, you can't justify a boss that forces players to die every now and then. How would you feel if, even though you'd fought the perfect battle against KK, there was a real chance that something you've worked hundreds of hours to obtain could be snatched away without compensation, and this was completely out of your control?

It would wreck KK as a viable prospect.

• Like 1

If you're going to make drops that rare and levels that high, you can't justify a boss that forces players to die every now and then. How would you feel if, even though you'd fought the perfect battle against KK, there was a real chance that something you've worked hundreds of hours to obtain could be snatched away without compensation, and this was completely out of your control?

It would wreck KK as a viable prospect.

Better, how would you feel if your items were snatched away without any compensation due to lag or disconnections? We've already dealt with this in some form back when graves disappeared upon logout. Nobody liked that, and nobody would like it if your items just disappeared because they decided to do some server maintenance and didn't tell anyone.

• Like 2