4th March - The World Wakes

Sylpheed

My one gripe is that the explanation for Sliske not ascending to godhood after slaying Guthix seemed a bit weak to me... But that's the one and only gripe, overall it's probably one of the top 3 quests on RS for me. Most enjoyable quest in recent memory for sure.

Oh, and I sided with the Zarosians. Aside from having the most super awesome OP things on their side (Char + Nex combo, come on...) I've always liked Azzanadra and loved the Sliske/Barrows storyline.

Asmodean <3

My one gripe is that the explanation for Sliske not ascending to godhood after slaying Guthix seemed a bit weak to me... But that's the one and only gripe, overall it's probably one of the top 3 quests on RS for me. Most enjoyable quest in recent memory for sure.

He probably have learned from Lucien's mistakes and decide to wait it out, either that or he already has the power of Guthix, and he is trying to locate the Stone of Jas to ascertain his godhood and/or make sure no one, not even Dragonkin, will be a threat to him

There is a detail that boggles me...

What exactly made the GWD bosses think that they were capable of killing Guthix? The only thing that we know that could have killed him was, until Sliske showed up, was thought to be destroyed, and the rest of the bosses had no alternative apart from their minions... if the gods themselves couldn't even lay a finger on Guthix, then wouldn't...

1. The bosses desire to kill Guthix foolish as they completely lack the means

2. That Staff of Armadyl is just a huge plot Deus Ex Machina...?

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Awesome quest, is there any way to complete the set for Azzanadra's gift?

Officially, probably not. Some of the loyalty stuff matches well enough.

Not so much for Juna's gift :sad:

To change the top allegiance?

Right click the Druid and claim reward again, he'll change your top for free

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Awesome quest, is there any way to complete the set for Azzanadra's gift?

Officially, probably not. Some of the loyalty stuff matches well enough.

Not so much for Juna's gift :sad:

To change the top allegiance?

Right click the Druid and claim reward again, he'll change your top for free

I think he means having a hood or robe bottom.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

[spoiler=Spoiler]Guthix's face, plus our character's face, when he was hit by sliske made one of the funniest "FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" faces I've ever seen.

Oh, and I sided with the Zarosians.

• Like 1

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Also, did anyone else take pleasure in telling Saradomin to essentially go [bleep] himself?

This! A thousand times this! I really hate saradomin (and his followers) condescending behaviour, being able to make him amost shit his pants (as he's damn aware the player is basically the most OP creature in existense right now) felt good. I was expecting him to be nicer and mourning and shit, but he's as much as an [wagon] as Zilyana. I see it already, when the new God Wars begin, Saradomin will be the first to get killed/owned by the player. Hell, I wonder what he was planning to do if he managed to teleport the player... He's obviously afraid of the player now, since whatever he was planning to do, him realizing how strong the player is now was enough to make it [bleep] away...

As for the power the player got now, am I the only one who noticed how Saradomin was able to teleport Nex, but not the player? Clearly works as a power measure if you ask me...

As for the Zarosians, this makes it even more intriguing. It seems like Zaros might be the way to go after all of this; not even his fellow zarosians expected Sliske to do that, but the rest sure as hell seem the closest to the nature of Guthix (just look at how they reacted as soon as they saw Saradomin).

Now the thing is, what the hell is godhood in rs-lore? Seems like everyeone impales a god and becomes one itself, wouldn't be surprised if the current gods are basically that... And even then, we'll be wondering who's an actual good (as in, being born a god) and who isn't; I would put all my bet money on Zaros being the only true god, besides the elders and perhaps Seren.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

I too, sided with the Zarosians under the premise that Guthix wouldn't be killed. I am a massive Mahjarrat fanboy though, and as much of a [bleep] that Sliske was for killing Guthix, I still think he's awesome and still my favourite along with Azzanadra.

After all, Guthix did intentionally let Sliske kill him and could have [bleep] slapped him across the planet if he wanted to.

It's really lame how Armadyl got shafted in this quest though. Jagex are making the Aviansie out to be a weak minded race but I suppose they're just getting desperate as they're almost extinct.

Saradomin is just full of bullshit and is pretty arrogant, really looking forward to seeing Zamorak's return now.

Sylpheed.png

[spoiler=Spoiler]Guthix's face, plus our character's face, when he was hit by sliske made one of the funniest "FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" faces I've ever seen.

Oh, and I sided with the Zarosians.

I too, sided with the Zarosians, when it comes to the lore of the game, my character is a Zaros follower however it was a very difficult position trying to consider the impact my choices could possibly make after seeing Guthix viewpoint on the God Wars and the impact of a God War on his home realm.

Ah well, guess I'll be using my pro-God-crushing skills to further the aims of our Empty Lord.

It's nice bringing Zaros ever closer to returning but the method which Sliske went with doesn't sit right with me. Unless the power he took from Guthix is going towards the revival of Zaros, I'll never truly understand his agenda, if there even is one!

Guthix knew that he needed to die and Sliske was the only Zarosian who had the balls to kill him. Sliske also seems to be the only being who we don't have complete power over at this point.

Wait wait wait... I think I figured it out!

Guthix just wanted to be forgotten right? Hence why he went to sleep 2 times, and well... ya, his followers went all derp and shit, but they were mostly serving a guardian role, as in, making sure Guthix would eventually be forgotten (this is, ignoring his human followers). Anyways, also, Guthix let Sliske killed him; as someone said, if he wanted, he could've slapped Sliske all the way around the globe... moving on; Zaros is slacking power to return; a power Sliske has now... See where this is going to?

Guthix partially achieved his goal of being forgotten WHILE giving his power to somewhere else, who just happens to be a Zarosian follower who so far doesn't show signs of wanting to achieve godhood (we're all shocked by what Sliske did, however, there's no record of him trying to pull a zamorak/guthix/whateverguyimpaledagod nor we know his true intentions so far).

The way I see it, Guthix knew very damn well who Zaros was (let's not forget we base the indiference towards each other on what happened in Gielenor only) and Sliske is simply doing the will of both, altho he probably isn't aware of it... The fact that the factions during the quest were divided between Guthix, Zaros and everybody else give me the idea that Guthix simply gave up his power, so it could eventually reach Zaros, while achieving his goal of being forgotten.

tl;dr Guthix went all "[bleep] you guys, I'm out of here, Zaros, you're in charge now".

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

[hide=Spoilers]

Also, Saradomin keeps on repeating the "violence is sometimes necessary to attain a greater peace" mantra far too often for me to think he actually believes it. I don't trust him to be the god of "good", I think he lost the perspective of what good really means right after the God Wars started, if he ever did.

[/hide]

[hide]If that's the case, he'd hardly be the first person, man or deity, to have their perspective altered by war. Wars make even the best of us reevaluate our notions of good and evil until nothing is as simple as black and white anymore.[/hide]

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

[spoiler=He'll never be able to fill the spot she left behind!]20p1n5i.png

Mostly cuz she was a big fat earwig thing.. Lol

It's great that they chose to kill off the least endearing character.

Is there anyone else who acknowledges the events after the quest?

• Like 2

2dgucz6.png

[hide]@ Speculation why Sliske didn't become a god when he struck Guthix: He didn't impale himself with the staff. 'Nuff said.

As to why he didn't: does it sound very appealing to you to try and ram a staff through your body and some sleeping god's and getting the timing just right to have the power flow to you but not kill you? I very much doubt that what Zamorak did is very feasible - you can't plan on it. In order to ascend the way Guthix did, you have to be on that other plane probably.[/hide]

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Chaeldar, Juna, Fiara, Ali the wise, Char, Azzanadra all have additional dialogue after the quest.

Didn't Fiara die?

If you picked correctly for everybody, none of the defenders die. Way to ruin everything.

PS: death can't technically die, so at least he's always good to go no matter what lol

about: sliske

I get the feeling that he siphoned the power INTO the staff and is using it to hold the essence for a future purpose.

about: other things

how long do you think it took everybody to fit through the doors?

who thinks that the broken sword can be fixed?

anybody see the pet yet?

why does char continue to not wear pants?

nex's ssssssss nearly killed me when i talked to her

is anybody going to move all of these dead bodies before they start to smell or what

joke: saradomin

"Why can't I teleport you?!"

"I've turned Accept Aid off. I don't know why the others didn't."

• Like 5

8f14270694.jpg

[hide]@ Speculation why Sliske didn't become a god when he struck Guthix: He didn't impale himself with the staff. 'Nuff said.

As to why he didn't: does it sound very appealing to you to try and ram a staff through your body and some sleeping god's and getting the timing just right to have the power flow to you but not kill you? I very much doubt that what Zamorak did is very feasible - you can't plan on it. In order to ascend the way Guthix did, you have to be on that other plane probably.[/hide]

I just assumed that he did gain godhood through that, but he's definitely the kind of person that wouldn't draw attention to it regardless of the outcome. If he did manage to become a god, it really just drives home how much of an idiot Lucien was, though. He had the staff, he had the stone, he never shut up about how godlike he was, but he never actually followed through on any of it and then got offed in such a way as to say "Now that that's over, here are the real villains". Then Sliske comes along and actually does it, to the surprise of everyone, and he disappears without a trace to work on his long-term plans.

We can't really take Azzanadra's word for it, though. That's just his opinion on the matter; Sliske could easily have ascended to godhood without advertising it.

A few thoughts:

Awesome quest, awesome rewards, but this quest was *not* a Grand Master quest, by any measure: length, difficulty or what have you. It was even less worthy of a GM quest than Brink of Extinction, the only thing that really saves it is the lore. I still enjoyed doing it though, but it should have been a Master quest at best.

I guess I was right about the lack of requirements.

[hide] I was a fanboy of the Mahjarrat all the way through but ultimately I could do not betray the Guthixians. So I sided with them. Hopefully this does not mean that my allegiance with the Zarosians is over, I really like them. I always thought a Zarosian/Guthixian alliance might work. I still like Azzandra and it seems he was true to his word while Sliske was not. For all of Sliske's intelligence and cunning, apparently he seems oblivious to the fact that he walked right into Guthix's trap. [/hide]

Would requiring 2400 total have made it a better quest? None of the requirements were arbitrary, and it still managed to have that 'epic' scope - that's more than you can say for 80% of the quest list :?

That, or to continue working on his many, many shipfic tumblrs.

As I said, long-term plans.

• Like 3

Would requiring 2400 total have made it a better quest? None of the requirements were arbitrary, and it still managed to have that 'epic' scope - that's more than you can say for 80% of the quest list :?

It was good in terms of lore, sort of, but that's about it. In terms of length, it was pitifully short. It doesn't even meet the standard set by ROTM (which, in my lonesome view, was as good as WGS).

Also, it makes no sense from a narrative perspective. If you haven't done DT, then WTF is Azzandra doing there? Same for Enakra and her Zarosian rival. If you haven't done ROTM, then you have no history with Sliske. That's why quest requirements made sense, and they could have tied it with the other quests directly, and actually fleshed out the whole theme. Instead, since there were no quest requirements, it was an incredibly watered down quest designed to be an abridged version of all the rich lore that came before it for a newb audience. That's why requirements make sense. And it most certainly was not at the GM level, whatsoever.