4th March - The World Wakes

Sylpheed

Basically the entire quest was as follows:

A) Super-duper Hype as the "most important quest ever" and a GM quest.

B) Strip all requirements, and all the requirements that would make the narrative self-consistent and logical.

C) Pitifully short quest.

D) Add in some cool looking guys for a few fights, that always works!

E) Minimal lore.

F) Throw in some of the best rewards ever on a quest whose difficulty clearly does not warrant it. That will always shut up the naysayers: more rewards!

Forget the delay of last week, this could have been released in place of that Kharshai teaser -- the effort there was not such that it would require all this time. Also, why wasn't Kharshai involved; they completely forgot about him.

I enjoyed the quest, but the effort there was clearly not to standard.

Edit: This was the latest offering in Jagex's crusade to basically make everything ridiculously easy and serve it on a platter for the kiddies.

B) Strip all requirements, and all the requirements that would make the narrative self-consistent and logical.

E) Minimal lore.

F) Throw in some of the best rewards ever on a quest whose difficulty clearly does not warrant it. That will always shut up the naysayers: more rewards!

Forget the delay of last week, this could have been released in place of that Kharshai teaser -- the effort there was not such that it would require all this time. Also, why wasn't Kharshai involved; they completely forgot about him.

Edit: This was the latest offering in Jagex's crusade to basically make everything ridiculously easy and serve it on a platter for the kiddies.

Minimal lore?

...wat?!

• Like 2

E) Minimal lore.

[spoiler=TWW Spoilers]The non-existence of many requirements was something required for the quest's purpose. It wasn't meant to be a continuation of WGS/RotM or any other questline--it was meant to introduce the storyline that will be the focus of most updates in the next year or so. There was barely any content in it that would have required those quests for prior knowledge anyway. It wasn't meant to live up to the previous Grandmaster quests, just to bring the storyline of the entire world to its next chapter. (And the movement into the Sixth Age)

I'm not sure how people are saying it was a short quest.. It took me about three or four hours. I haven't done a quest that has taken that long personally.

My main issue is that if they intend for this to be a quest a majority of players complete, why did they add tons of boss monsters that are nigh-impossible for even a Level 140 to defeat? I'm level 180 and I died twice during the quest. I'd be surprised if it was any easier for a Level 140.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

It obviously should have been a sequel to the other quests; it clearly had plot elements that would not logically be allowed to happen unless you have completed certain other quests. You can do this quest without having done Desert Treasure, despite the the fact that this quest features Azzandra. This makes no sense. It makes a reference to Zemouregal having lost Arrav. Again doesn't make sense without the Arrav series. Sliske has the Staff of Armadyl -- this, again, makes no sense without ROTM. Same goes for the presence of Char which makes no sense without the Firemaker's Curse. And so on.

I will repeat it again, I really enjoyed doing the quest, but it was not up to standard and certain elements were poorly thought out.

Chaeldar, Juna, Fiara, Ali the wise, Char, Azzanadra all have additional dialogue after the quest.

Figured I should add that Thaerisk has some additional dialogue, although like pretty much everyone else it isn't of much importance. He's upstairs across from the Summoning building in Taverly if you did ROTM.

Kaqemeex doesn't say anything new.

2dgucz6.png

Regarding Sliske:

It was confirmed in a YouTube Q&A that a new character would ascend to become a god. So I think it's pretty clear that Sliske got there. The real question mark is what he's going to do with that power.

I will repeat it again, I really enjoyed doing the quest, but it was not up to standard and certain elements were poorly thought out.

Are you sure these things happen if you don't have the requirements?

I cannot confirm every single event, it is very much possible some elements are cut out if you don't have the requirements, but certain elements I can be sure of: for instance I am pretty sure that [hide]Sliske has the staff[/hide] in all versions. That's a major part of the plot that cannot logically happen without ROTM.

Regarding Sliske:

It was confirmed in a YouTube Q&A that a new character would ascend to become a god. So I think it's pretty clear that Sliske got there. The real question mark is what he's going to do with that power.

Turning Gielinor into a giant Barrows minigame

• Like 5

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Let me just summarize the replies that will follow... "You're totally entitled to your opinion...but you're wrong and I hate you." EDIT: I'm not saying I agree/disagree with you. Just making a joke on the debate that will surely follow :P

Btw guthixian followers are crawling out the woodwork now. Where were you lot when guthix pages were 20k a pop eh? (Should anyone start arguing utility of preeoc books, I'll slap you in the face. Hard.)

The sounds of the caverns were so atmospheric. It really did feel tranquil and lovely. The music in Guthix's memory was so terribly, horribly sad. Discovering information about Guthix's ascent to godhood was really interesting along with learning of his motives. I didn't find the shrine a farce or mistake on Jagex's end. After speaking with the priests, their reasons make sense.

I don't really like that we did not speak with Saradomin at a greater length or that Guardians dispersed so soon after gathering when their strength is needed now more than ever. Thanks to careful reading, none of the Guardians died, and I looked forward to speaking more with them about what it meant exactly to be a Guardian after the quest. More about what should be planned. More about...well, everything. The Generals and Majarrat though, they just up and flee the field rather than just retreating, too. I found that strange.

Sliske might've been changed, but so were we. Maybe the reason why Sliske might not had some dramatic transformation was because part of Guthix's power was imparted to us? So maybe we're sort of...demi-gods. There are gods coming, though, and there is a strong need for more elder weapons - demi-god or not, we can't stop all of them at once. Guthix kept the shattered relic of one with several fragments missing. I think it's strange that we could not collect them or find any way to transport it to safety...or even guard it! It's like it was just forgotten.

The quest was horribly short, but it also was a decent stopping point. There are points that it could have been expanded. If it didn't have the quality of what it did provide, though, I'd be upset by that. As it is, I'm quite happy. Not satisfied exactly (I want my answers, damn it) but...content for now.

But the next [bleep]ing quest better hurry the hell up or I'm going to sit here and complain about it on the forums until I feel that I have made everyone within a 2 page post radius cover their eyes in disgust with me kill someone.

• Like 4

hzvjpwS.gif

I agree entirely, Kimberly. It certainly had traces that were great, enough to make me happy but not satisfied. But the next quest had better a) come quick, b) be far longer and difficult, and c) have some real resolution to at least some of the stuff.

Btw guthixian followers are crawling out the woodwork now. Where were you lot when guthix pages were 20k a pop eh? (Should anyone start arguing utility of preeoc books, I'll slap you in the face. Hard.)

I was staring wistfully at the Guthix book I completed in 2007 when they were 50k or so apiece, and wishing I could get a Guthix altar in my POH.

• Like 2

I don't think we'll have any bit of resolution in the coming months of any sort, but it would be nice to have some larger segments of character development. I understand devs have to walk a thin line there since people react violently to "spoon-feeding" stories, but if it's serving a strong purpose I shouldn't think many people would mind. It's hard when you have this hollow-shell everyman character that we're supposed to be - we lack a voice, we have no personality either way, and so on. Conflicts tend to come from other characters rather than our own characters. It's...it's tough haha. I don't know how they could do it better, I only know what I'd like to see more of!

I was staring wistfully at the Guthix book I completed in 2007 when they were 50k or so apiece, and wishing I could get a Guthix altar in my POH.

Well that's refreshing at least :D

hzvjpwS.gif

Alright, I'll be the one to say it:

Since we're basically god slayers now, am I the only one who thinks Saradomin will be the first to be killed/banished by the player?

I mean, the convo basically went like this:

Sara: -insert condescending phrase here-, I'm going to teleport you away so I can defile this sacred place where a god several times stronger than me died

*can't teleport the player*

Sara: What the hell are you?

Player: lol I'm going to [bleep] you up

*Sara [kitties] out and teles*

Also, if you talk to the guardians and the zarosians after the quest, they're all focused on taking Saradomin down first, since he was dumb enough to show up first.. I like where this is going to...

• Like 2
tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

[hide]I preferred Guthix in the old days, but then I grew equally fond of Azzandra, and Zaros. Sliske is merely too treacherous to admire. I had wanted to side with Azzandra & Co. but I couldn't betray Juna & Co. [/hide]

I agree entirely, Kimberly. It certainly had traces that were great, enough to make me happy but not satisfied. But the next quest had better a) come quick, b) be far longer and difficult, and c) have some real resolution to at least some of the stuff.

Length doesn't equal quality. The quest was shorter than previous epics like RFD and WGS but the production values for quests, or any content back then, was nowhere near what it is today.

I don't know, maybe I just appreciate the finer details like the detail and art style of the quest area and how amazing Guthix and his 'memory' looked and just the sheer quality of the whole thing.

Also, I don't understand why you care so much about the requirements and accessibility of the quest. Chances are, if you are interested in the lore of the game, you will have already done all the previous quests. People who do it without RotM and all the others aren't likely to give a rats ass either way.

As long as YOU know what is happening and why, it really doesn't affect you.

• Like 3
Sylpheed.png

Btw guthixian followers are crawling out the woodwork now. Where were you lot when guthix pages were 20k a pop eh?

When a god on his deathbed personally speaks to you and grants you a major responsibility along with power to fulfill it, I think that's something to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

Also, I don't understand why you care so much about the requirements and accessibility of the quest. Chances are, if you are interested in the lore of the game, you will have already done all the previous quests. People who do it without RotM and all the others aren't likely to give a rats ass either way.

Because right now, until things are retconned, we have several paradoxes on our hands whether they happen to our account or not. They represent parts of the story that will need to be changed or altered and haven't been yet for whatever reason. It doesn't make what the quest was able to display bad, but it mars an otherwise polished story, as you've put it.

When a god on his deathbed personally speaks to you and grants you a major responsibility along with power to fulfill it, I think that's something to be taken seriously.

Except you had no way of knowing if Guthix would require anything of you at all at the point where most people chose to side with the Guthixians. :P

hzvjpwS.gif

Length doesn't equal quality. The quest was shorter than previous epics like RFD and WGS but the production values for quests, or any content back then, was nowhere near what it is today.

Quantity has a quality all of its own. In certain circumstances, it matters.

I don't know, maybe I just appreciate the finer details like the detail and art style of the quest area and how amazing Guthix and his 'memory' looked and just the sheer quality of the whole thing.

Indeed, those were the "great" traces that I talked about.

It matters that RS actually have a rational and sensible form and structure. That's why quest requirements matter. Jagex should take their work and narrative seriously. This was, to me, obviously an effort on Jagex's part to dumb it down so that they could make it as accessible to as many kiddies as possible, in order to make $. There's no other way why they'd make the quest have no requirements, have such awesome rewards, and even make the slayer monster at the end have pitifully low requirements. Like I said, it makes no sense whatsoever to make available Chapter 5 of a book to its readers without first there being Chapters 1-4. Especially for a GM quest. There's no excuse.

This is theoretically supposed to be high-end game content, not "anyone and everyone, just walk in whenever you want". If I had showed this to a friend from any other MMORPG, they'd probably dismiss the whole quest as a laughable joke, on the grounds that you just get plot regardless of whether you did the previous quests necessary to get to that plot. That's been the whole point of Quests from the start, especially GM ones, it's like reading a book. That you can have the bit about Sliske with his staff in this quest without doing the ROTM/WGS is a slap in the face of ROTM and undermining the whole point of quests.

This is theoretically supposed to be high-end game content, not "anyone and everyone, just walk in whenever you want".

There's where your reasons break down. It's not supposed to be high end-game content at all. This is supposed to be a world-changing event that affects everybody everywhere.

• Like 3

This is theoretically supposed to be high-end game content, not "anyone and everyone, just walk in whenever you want".

There's where your reasons break down. It's not supposed to be high end-game content at all. This is supposed to be a world-changing event that affects everybody everywhere.

By it's very nature, you should only be able to get to this juncture in the history/plotline of RS after you have already went through certain events (which are clearly a requirement for this). Every quest affects the world of the player but thus far they have had rational structure. Explain to me again what Azzandra is doing running around, free and rejuvinated when you haven't done Desert Treasure? It makes absolutely no sense. Jagex clearly doesn't respect its own body of work to treat it seriously.

If they wanted to make this quest accessible to everyone, they should have a) not made it GM, and b) have it follow some narrative path that doesn't require quests (logically) which are not in its official requirements. It's like saying J.K. Rowling wanted Voldemort's return to be accessible to all her readers, so she never bothered writing books 1-4 (or whatever) and just skipped to the Goblet of Fire. It's nonsense.

If requirements are supposed to be all that determine a quest's official difficulty (according to Mod Mark, anyway), TWW shouldn't have been anything more than Master difficulty, due to its requirements merely being double 69s in combat. I've long given up on the official quest labels, though, especially after they classified this quest as having taking a "Very, Very Long" time to complete :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.